Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No toilets in Iarnród Éireann stations: legal?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Lumen wrote: »
    There are various strategies, some of them more pleasant than others. I'm not sure you really want the details, do you?

First and second strategies maybe - skip the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Lumen wrote: »
    There are lots of people who need easy access to a toilet due to various ailments or physical conditions (e.g. IBS, post-childbirth incontinence).

I guess you're not one of them, yet. Don't worry, your day may come. :D

We should have toilets at bus stops too then, and on Dublin buses, could take out all the downstairs seats for wheelchair accessible ones.

nobody doubts that some people need toilets more regularly than others, it is the practically of installing them and more importantly maintaining them in view of the lack of respect generally shown by Irish people to publicly provided services.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blanch152 wrote: »
    We should have toilets at bus stops too then, and on Dublin buses, could take out all the downstairs seats for wheelchair accessible ones.

If you read the context in which my statement was made, I was simply responding to the question "Why would anyone in their right mind want to use a fcuking jacks in a train station?".

But sure, off you go on your little rant. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

All the main stations do have toilets however some smaller ones dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

[HTML][/HTML]
    AllForIt wrote: »
    This must be the most thanked stupidest comment I have ever read.

The idea that if one expects to have have toilet facilities then one must perpetually use every station in the country to have one is just bonkers.

Also if the station is not particularly busy I can't see how you think it would become a no-go area. I lived in Booterstown for years - there is no riff-raff in that area in stark contrast to most of the rest of Dublin so if any station could maintain a low maintenance toilet facility it would be Booterstown Dart station.

I'm appalled by ppl who would argue against the most basic of facilities.
    Install open toilets in Booterstown and you will have the fire brigade and an ambulance there every few days due to someone over dosing. They would travel out to it if they knew it to be unmanned.
    It happens a lot in some of the he main stations.
    . P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Install open toilets in Booterstown and you will have the fire brigade and an ambulance there every few days due to someone over dosing. They would travel out to it if they knew it to be unmanned.
    It happens a lot in some of the he main stations.
    . P

100% in main stations there should be €1 charge for the use of toilet facilities. This would cover the cost of cleaning and maintenance of the toilets while deterring junkies. I have seen in Termini station in Rome where many addicts like to hang out in the vicinity. A charge of €1 would be sufficient to filter junkies from respectable everyday members of the travelling public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There used to be a charge in Heuston years ago. I don't know anywhere else that charged.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    100% in main stations there should be €1 charge for the use of toilet facilities. This would cover the cost of cleaning and maintenance of the toilets while deterring junkies. I have seen in Termini station in Rome where many addicts like to hang out in the vicinity. A charge of €1 would be sufficient to filter junkies from respectable everyday members of the travelling public.

€1 is nothing to them, they can make up to, €20 an hour asking for spare change for the homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

beauf wrote: »
    There used to be a charge in Heuston years ago. I don't know anywhere else that charged.

There was also a coin operated barrier installed at the toilets in Connolly soon after the new toilets were provided, but the gate was always open,and the barrier removed fairly soon after installation.

In France the station toilets cost 70 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Boterstown re-opened in 1975, without toilets.
    Sidney Parade re-opened1972, without toilets.
    Shankill opened 1977 without toilets.

All other stations and halts from Greystones to Connolly had toilets until the 1970s, some into the 1980s, DunLaoghaire had them until less than ten years ago.

Malahide and some other Northern outer suburban had toilets until fairly recently.

Now apart from Bray, Pearse, Connolly and Heuston, none of the Dublin area stations have sanitary facilities. DART emus don't have them either. This prevents people with bladder / bowel problems from having full use of the rail service. Someone on a bus (in Dublin) can hop off at a hospital or a few other public buildings if they are open, but the rail passenger cannot do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The large, smelly Gents in Bray station is best avoided unless you're really desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The large, smelly Gents in Bray station is best avoided unless you're really desperate.

I have found them quite pleasant at times. Like an Alpine forest or a Summer meadow.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I have found them quite pleasant at times. Like an Alpine forest or a Summer meadow.

Sure you have. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tabbey wrote: »

All other stations and halts from Greystones to Connolly had toilets until the 1970s, some into the 1980s, DunLaoghaire had them until less than ten years ago.

Malahide and some other Northern outer suburban had toilets until fairly recently.

Now apart from Bray, Pearse, Connolly and Heuston, none of the Dublin area stations have sanitary facilities. DART emus don't have them either. This prevents people with bladder / bowel problems from having full use of the rail service. Someone on a bus (in Dublin) can hop off at a hospital or a few other public buildings if they are open, but the rail passenger cannot do so.

Greystones had a toilet when it was refurbished for the arrival of the Dart, but it was made "staff only" after a few yearS (I believe they'll open it for passengers if you ask nicely, and can find someone in the station in the first place).

They have the full use of the service like anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...This prevents people with bladder / bowel problems from having full use of the rail service. Someone on a bus (in Dublin) can hop off at a hospital or a few other public buildings if they are open, but the rail passenger cannot do so.

There are toilets on the trains. You'd be unlucky even at peak to get a train with no toilets working.

Dart and Luas don't have them. So it would be more correct to say they discourage some people. The Dart tbh isn't a long journey and does pass stations with toilets.

So its really the Luas, which is lacking all facilities and options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Just take the seats out of all trains, trams and buses and replace them with toilets, problem solved.
    And while we are at it, employ someone to go around wiping arses.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Advertisement