Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon 4k Firestick 35 pounds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

peejy wrote: »
    Thanks - do these need to be plugged in to charge?
    honda boi wrote: »
    Yep they need to be powered/plugged in the whole time you using it.

You can power it off a USB port on the TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mrcheez wrote: »
    Can anyone that has received their 3rd gen comment on whether Kodi is noticeably faster than the bog standard 1st gen?

I know it was mentioned before that the 2nd gen was a bit faster, but has anyone tested on these ones specifically?

My WiFi keeps crashing and connection dropping while streaming Kodi on my first gen stick.

Yeah, way faster than the first gen. No crashing or connection problems, though I didn't experience any with the second gen either. Wifi is much stronger, better than the Mac I'm streaming from which is where I'm having connection problems instead. However, if you current issue is interference related then it's unlikely to fix it. Make sure you are using the HDMI cable that came in the box and maybe even consider getting a 2m cable as TVs can cause a lot of interference.
    also can Kodi be controlled with your voice via Alexa?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

Can anyone that has received their 3rd gen comment on whether Kodi is noticeably faster than the bog standard 1st gen?

I know it was mentioned before that the 2nd gen was a bit faster, but has anyone tested on these ones specifically?

My WiFi keeps crashing and connection dropping while streaming Kodi on my first gen stick.

This 4k one is miles ahead of the first gen in everyway
    WiFi is alot better,the first gen would buffer quite alot and the quality would drop on Netflix/ YouTube constantly.
    This one never buffers and always streams top quality.
    Haven't used Kodi on this one so can't comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Alexa ignores me when I ask her to launch Kodi, dont think she can see sideloaded apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Yes.
    I have a 2nd Gen fire tv stick and it's noticeably faster than that.
    Stick boots faster, apps load quicker and menu navigation is snappier in both the main menu and kodi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Can confirm that Kodi flies on the 4k stick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Great stuff, will order 2. Hopefully both are sent as one package to Parcel Wizard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭seanin4711

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Sorry for the brain dead question. I’d yoh have a recent 4K tv, what is the appeal for something like this. Am I missing something?

what if you dont have a 4k tv,
    any benefit over the non 4k version?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

seanin4711 wrote: »
    what if you dont have a 4k tv,
    any benefit over the non 4k version?

I have both the 4K and non 4K version and neither TV is 4K. I had the original Firestick and the 4K has more memory and is way way faster to load and moving around the homescreen and especially launching the Apps.

So when I get a 4K TV then I will get the full benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Remouad wrote: »

That would be a much neater configuration.

But what's the current demand from the port?

Amazon are pushing this 3rd party cable for port power:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mission-Cables-Power-Cable-included/dp/B07319K943/ref=sr_1_1?s=amazon-devices&ie=UTF8&qid=1545060246&sr=1-1&keywords=fire+stick+usb+power+cable

I wonder if it is really necessary if you use a USB port?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Remouad wrote: »

I wouldn't recommend this tbh.

If the stick updates itself - which it oftimes will, when rebooting, it doesn't seem to draw enough power from the USB on the TV, and will go into a boot loop, refusing to load.

Recommended to use the official plug that it's shipped with.

Speaking from experience by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My experience on USB from all 3 of the sticks I've had is that, although it does work, the power draw seems to force it into random reboots because I guess it loses power. Both my sticks are now powered from the socket now instead.

Does this use the same HDMI extender, and micro-USB ports as per the 1st gen? I imagine yes though I see it comes with something called a "power adaptor" ?

i.e. can I simply swap out my 1st gen, and stick in the new one without having to change any other cables currently in use with my 1st gen?

EDIT: I think the power adaptor is simply what they call a USB plug rather than a go-between power device

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peejy

Does it come with a wall socket charger included?

yeah I think so.. they call it a "power adaptor" for some reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

yeah I think so.. they call it a "power adaptor" for some reason :)

Because it is a power adapter, it can't be a charger as there is no battery to charge.

And yes It does come with the power adapter.

Because it is a power adapter, it can't be a charger as there is no battery to charge.

And yes It does come with the power adapter.

More commonly known as "USB plug" than power adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

More commonly known as "USB plug" than power adapter

Yes a lot of people make that mistake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I upgraded from a 2nd gen to a 4K this week.

Mine seems to be hanging a lot. As in, I move the direction button and it doesn’t move. And then moves the whole way across really fast without pressing it again.

Wonder is it a dud remote or stick?

mdwexford wrote: »
    I upgraded from a 2nd gen to a 4K this week.

Mine seems to be hanging a lot. As in, I move the direction button and it doesn’t move. And then moves the whole way across really fast without pressing it again.

Wonder is it a dud remote or stick?

Download the firestick remote app for your phone, at least then you might be able to rule out/in the remote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dracula!

It should be noted that Prime Video Ireland doesn't work with these. Only UK Prime Video.

I've have the first and second gen versions of the Firestick. I use them for Kodi and Netflix. They are very good for the price, especially the new one.

It does work there is a work around if you have a parcel motel address on your account you can set up as if you are in UK. It took a big of figuring out but it does work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dracula! wrote: »
    It does work there is a work around if you have a parcel motel address on your account you can set up as if you are in UK. It took a big of figuring out but it does work.

Yeah but that seems to involve them switching your Prime Video account to the UK. In which case what I said still applies: it doesn't work with Prime Video Ireland, only UK. Unless you sideload the standalone Prime Video app as I explained in my previous post.

The UK service is presumedly better though, so if you can convince Amazon to change your account to UK that's probably the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Anyone selling on their 2nd gen? Looking to give one a go and see what the fuss is about. Not tried the firestick yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

RossieMan wrote: »
    Anyone selling on their 2nd gen? Looking to give one a go and see what the fuss is about. Not tried the firestick yet.

I would maybe, PM me ? It's new, unopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Berty wrote: »
    My experience on USB from all 3 of the sticks I've had is that, although it does work, the power draw seems to force it into random reboots because I guess it loses power. Both my sticks are now powered from the socket now instead.

i have a 10000mah power bank sitting around. i may use that to power the device then, as i have no other power source than the tv usb socket.the tv is on the fireplace with all the cables plastered in when we moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

The UK service is presumedly better though, so if you can convince Amazon to change your account to UK that's probably the better option.

There's no convincing needed, open an online chat with them and tell them you want your video changed over to the UK and they just do it there and then without question

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peejy

What's the cheapest reshipping option from the UK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

There's no convincing needed, open an online chat with them and tell them you want your video changed over to the UK and they just do it there and then without question

I've just set up the stick and it has synced with both echos that I have. I'm getting an error code 5505 on everything the I try to watch on prime now. Is it as simple as getting them to change the region as I've synced with my other echos or will I need to deregister the stick?

Monkeynut wrote: »
    i have a 10000mah power bank sitting around. i may use that to power the device then, as i have no other power source than the tv usb socket.the tv is on the fireplace with all the cables plastered in when we moved in.

Exactly the reason I'd never opt for such a solution to cables.

What if the TV breaks and you have to replace? What if you buy a new device and it needs another power point?

The power bank will need recharged fairy regularly, which is why personally, if I couldn't power mine directly from the wall, then I'd use one of these USB converter devices.

Cheap enough on Amazon.

EXINOZ Mini Power Cable For Fire TV Stick. Powers the Fire TV Stick from Your TV USB Port https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z9TWIIY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WEFgCbT4X4T20

• Advertisement

What's the cheapest reshipping option from the UK ?

Parcel wizard or motel, though I think with the motel option you'll be lucky if you see it this different if Christmas from what I've been reading.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement