Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon 4k Firestick 35 pounds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 trveller72

I know that switching your account's region to the UK works - provided they do it for you which it seems they won't always do. But my point still remains that Prime Video Ireland doesn't work on the Firestick, only UK Prime Video. This is obviously a restriction of the device's software and why it isn't sold in Ireland.
    I didn't ask them to move the account region in UK. I told him that I am in Ireland and I am not able to watch Prime on the Stick same way I am watching Prime on the Xbox, Smart TV or tablet. He said that he changed some setting for the Stick, told me to restart it, and that is.
    I do not want to change the address as I have an Echo at home which works better using the Irish address.
    Also, when I check on the stick, location is Ireland.
    The Prime Video App on the stick though is different from the one that I have on the Xbox, Tv and tablet. Also it did not sync the watchlist with the ones on the other devices.
    I am still thinking to sideload the PrimeVideo apk using Apptoide

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does this have better WiFi reception than previous gens does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭lukeeman

trveller72 wrote: »
    I didn't ask them to move the account region in UK. I told him that I am in Ireland and I am not able to watch Prime on the Stick same way I am watching Prime on the Xbox, Smart TV or tablet. He said that he changed some setting for the Stick, told me to restart it, and that is.
    I do not want to change the address as I have an Echo at home which works better using the Irish address.
    The Prime Video App on the stick though is different from the one that I have on the Xbox, Tv and tablet. Also it did not sync the watchlist with the ones on the other devices.

Are you using the new firestick 4k or older one, I rang Amazon c/s and was told this 4k stick will not play Prime outside the uk, my setting says im in uk but it still wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 trveller72

lukeeman wrote: »
    Are you using the new firestick 4k or older one, I rang Amazon c/s and was told this 4k stick will not play Prime outside the uk, my setting says im in uk but it still wont work.
    New one - Fire TV Stick 4k.
    My settings say I am in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

lukeeman wrote: »

Go on Amazon chat, say all your devices are working fine on Amazon prime video except the device you bought directly from Amazon. Be nice and friendly and they will press the magic "ON" button somewhere in Amazon land.

I tried everything in the book from deregistering, reregisterning, changed addresses, vpn's etc. etc all to no avail. Spent a half an hour on support "chat" to some "eejit" waffling about UK internet blah, blah. still no joy. Error 5505.

Decided I would have one last try with Amazon support chat this morning, this time was transferred immediately to a second person.
    She said " I will help you with that sir" before I had finished reading that line, the picture had appeared on my tv.

Have both old and 4K sticks and both working after call.

Possible tip

Don't leave too late in the day to contact support, because first ime, the operator struggled away for about half an hour.
    Today first operator, immediately transferred me to someone who clearly knew the solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭lukeeman

Go on Amazon chat, say all your devices are working fine on Amazon prime video except the device you bought directly from Amazon. Be nice and friendly and they will press the magic "ON" button somewhere in Amazon land.

I tried everything in the book from deregistering, reregisterning, changed addresses, vpn's etc. etc all to no avail. Spent a half an hour on support "chat" to some "eejit" waffling about UK internet blah, blah. still no joy. Error 5505.

Decided I would have one last try with Amazon support chat this morning, this time was transferred immediately to a second person.
    She said " I will help you with that sir" before I had finished reading that line, the picture had appeared on my tv.

Have both old and 4K sticks and both working after call.

Possible tip

Don't leave too late in the day to contact support, because first ime, the operator struggled away for about half an hour.
    Today first operator, immediately transferred me to so
    meone who clearly knew the solution.

Just been on chat and no luck the usual wont work in ireland, will try again later, Thanks for the tips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

When I did same, I had my default shipping address set to Parcelmotel (NI) address. All worked fine when I spoke to chat people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

trveller72 wrote: »

Your device might be set to Ireland, but it still sounds to me like they changed the region of your account.

I'd be interested to know if sideloading works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Your device might be set to Ireland, but it still sounds to me like they changed the region of your account.

My region setting was always set to Uk. Had a Uk address and was using a Vpn set to UK, still wouldn't work
    Changed to Irish address, no vpn, same error.
    Same story with support, but the lady I chatted today, just said no problem and instantly On, no mention of address, region, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

Thargor wrote: »

I had the first gen one and it was becoming horrible with reception, video quality constantly dropping.
    New 4k one,not an issue fast speeds constantly now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

dercunx wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a VPN I can use on this please? TIA

Express VPN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

My access point is about 2 meters away but I was still surprised to see I got my full 240mb speed on the analiti app. I'd bought the ethernet adaptor at the same time as the stick (and threw away the packaging stupidly) before realising I won't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is there any better Android stick/box in the £50 bracket in peoples opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

Is there any better Android stick/box in the £50 bracket in peoples opinions?
    No.
    There is none in the £100 bracket either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

My region setting was always set to Uk. Had a Uk address and was using a Vpn set to UK, still wouldn't work
    Changed to Irish address, no vpn, same error.
    Same story with support, but the lady I chatted today, just said no problem and instantly On, no mention of address, region, nothing.

I got mine changed today. Just used the web chat. They asked my address and I gave them my real Irish one. Guy flicked a switch somewhere and it worked. I had everything else setup to be UK prior to that. To be honest it is attrocious. Very difficult to find any movies that are included in the subscription as it is always pushing you to ones that require add-ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Just search on youtube

frash wrote: »
    Cinema HD
    Terarrium
    Installed both via aptidode and both crash on launch. Am using morpheus

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Toast wrote: »
    My access point is about 2 meters away but I was still surprised to see I got my full 240mb speed on the analiti app. I'd bought the ethernet adaptor at the same time as the stick (and threw away the packaging stupidly) before realising I won't need it.

The only reason for the ethernet adaptor that I can see is if you need a low latency LAN connection. Steam Link app streaming is the only example I can see for this.

On the Fire TV stick, download "es file explorer" from the Amazon app store.

in "es file explorer" go to Network-> Remote Manager

Click Turn On.

It will show you an address.(e.g.ftp://123.100.0.100:3456/)

You can access this from any PC on the network using Windows explorer.

Drop in any APKs that you want. Just make sure they're the 32 bit versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

rom wrote: »
    Installed both via aptidode and both crash on launch. Am using morpheus

Not sure what aptidode is
    CinemaHD can be downloaded from http://bit.ly/cinema134

For the other one you'll need to look up Balatan on reddit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Troypoint on Youtube has some great videos on how the get the most from the Firestick, he's even got one that lets you play all the old console games on the stick!

bladespin wrote: »
    Troypoint on Youtube has some great videos on how the get the most from the Firestick, he's even got one that lets you play all the old console games on the stick!

You'll need a bluetooth controller.

Xbox one controller is probably the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Of course, now i want to try out the Firestick, price gone back up! Do they drop for xmas usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

bidiots wrote: »
    Of course, now i want to try out the Firestick, price gone back up! Do they drop for xmas usually?

Worth keeping an eye on, Amazon have sporadic and unpredictable sales with them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭ablelocks

bidiots wrote: »

same here - but there's another sale starting tomorrow - Last of the Christmas deals. possiblly will be reduced again.

Remouad wrote: »
    On the Fire TV stick, download "es file explorer" from the Amazon app store.

in "es file explorer" go to Network-> Remote Manager

Click Turn On.

It will show you an address.(e.g.ftp://123.100.0.100:3456/)

You can access this from any PC on the network using Windows explorer.

Drop in any APKs that you want. Just make sure they're the 32 bit versions.

Wifi file transfer (pro) . does this also but via a webpage.

frash wrote: »
    Not sure what aptidode is
    CinemaHD can be downloaded from http://bit.ly/cinema134

For the other one you'll need to look up Balatan on reddit

Its an alternative appstore with all the tv stuff on it. Gave it a look but still think Morphus tv is better

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gillamandango

Install APK TIME onto it and you will get this best source of apps available, with genuine installers..I have 6 apps installed on it from this source and they give me everything I need..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

How is the WiFi connection on these compared to a wired connection from your router? I always thought hard wired was best for streaming movies?

I have an android box but for some reason the Netflix app has become incompatible with the box so this could be a good replacement but I'm a bit wary about the wireless connection as I've always used a wired connection

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Stupid question but how do I know if when I click prime video, I'm watching Irish or uk version, or is there a difference?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement