Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Broadband €29.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

After 3 hours on hold for Eir I gave up. I called the installation team who instantly answered and cancelled the install. Virgin called me today and offered me 29 for 9 months and 58 for the remaining 3 months. Works out as same price as Eir was @ 35 per month plus €30 install charge.

I heard their customer service was bad but 3 hours on hold. Unreal.

If anyone has Eir Broadband but doesn’t have Sky TV, shoot me a DM if you want to make some money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Del007 wrote: »
    I'm with sky and I'm going to go for that Eir deal.

I see some of you have problems with Eir but I've had problems with sky myself. To be honest, they're all a bunch of idiots

Well this is it. I've been with pretty much all of the providers over the last 5 years and don't see any real difference.

Part of the problem is that we all want our stuff at rock bottom prices, we want to do as much of our business online as we can, but when there's a problem, we expect an army of well-trained and experienced call centre staff to be waiting to take our call.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Part of the problem is that we all want our stuff at rock bottom prices, we want to do as much of our business online as we can, but when there's a problem, we expect an army of well-trained and experienced call centre staff to be waiting to take our call.

How is this a problem? Of course we want competitive prices, and if your paying for a service then you have every right to expect decent support when something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Worse company in Ireland, avoid at all costs.
    Truly awful gang

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

H

BBMcQ wrote: »
    After 3 hours on hold for Eir I gave up. I called the installation team who instantly answered and cancelled the install. Virgin called me today and offered me 29 for 9 months and 58 for the remaining 3 months. Works out as same price as Eir was @ 35 per month plus €30 install charge.

I heard their customer service was bad but 3 hours on hold. Unreal.

If anyone has Eir Broadband but doesn’t have Sky TV, shoot me a DM if you want to make some money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

stdidit wrote: »
    How is this a problem? Of course we want competitive prices, and if your paying for a service then you have every right to expect decent support when something goes wrong.

Right, but having humans manning telephones is very expensive. If you want an army of people in customer service, then that's a huge cost that has to be passed onto the consumer - except the consumer doesn't want to pay for it, so you can't afford an army, so you get long wait times.

Part 2 of the issue is that when the consumer gets through, he wants his issue resolved. Fair enough. Except resolving issues requires trained and experienced staff. Working in a call-centre taking calls from irate people for very little money is absolutely soul-destroying (I've done it) so turnover is massive, and turnover means no-one gets sufficient experience, so you get guys who can't solve the issues properly.

What you want is top-notch product and service at rock-bottom prices. You can't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Right, but having humans manning telephones is very expensive. If you want an army of people in customer service, then that's a huge cost that has to be passed onto the consumer - except the consumer doesn't want to pay for it, so you can't afford an army, so you get long wait times.

Part 2 of the issue is that when the consumer gets through, he wants his issue resolved. Fair enough. Except resolving issues requires trained and experienced staff. Working in a call-centre taking calls from irate people for very little money is absolutely soul-destroying (I've done it) so turnover is massive, and turnover means no-one gets sufficient experience, so you get guys who can't solve the issues properly.

What you want is top-notch product and service at rock-bottom prices. You can't have it.

I can understand people who have had good experiences with eir expressing it, but you seem to be trying to justify their bad service which is very strange to me. I found their incompetency to be on a whole different level to anything I ever experienced.

That service is affecting their business. So many people won't go near them because of it. I think even eir themselves would acknowledge it and at least they appear to be doing something about it by bringing some of it back in house. Invest and reap the rewards...

If they sort it out they will get more customers and I would consider joining, even if it cost a few extra quid a month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

GY A1 wrote: »
    Does this include phone
    Or has anyone rang and got deal for phone included

That is one of the many problems with Eir. Trying to get to speak to someone is a pure lottery but maybe if you have half a day to spare listening to the same three tunes over and over then give it a go. Top Tip Have a good book handy to read. :D No reason given for closing the "Talk to Eir" Forum on Boards As if we did'nt know and no return date given.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

I'm leaving cork now for Dublin currently on hold to eir customer service.. What's are the bets that I'll get to speak to someone before I get there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

The sim only 25gb mobile is 20 a month all year isn’t it?

eir broadband customers can get it for €10 a month for first 6months, and 20 for the next 6 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This is true.. I've been with Sky, eir, 3, and Vodafone for various services at various times.

They all suffer from generally poor customer service when something goes wrong, but given that they're all offering/reselling pretty much the same thing in each segment at this point, about the only differentiator is the price at the time of renewals.

With Eir I'll take the broadband because the product itself is generally solid and it's a fixed price per month so they generally can't screw it up = no need to call the piss-poor customer service

With Vodafone things are generally overpriced, poor value bundles but again the (mobile - can't speak to broadband/TV) service itself is generally decent enough - though not as good as they like to claim either

Three are oversubscribed and patchy outside main areas... but generally have the best value offerings of the main operators

Sky are good if you get a deal.. but the TV service itself is hideously overpriced, complex bundling and add-ons, and increasingly outdated IMO. The broadband is simply eir resold. Customer Service is ok but no loyalty to existing customers unless you wait weeks (which, as I explained to them lately is pointless as by then the customer has signed up elsewhere), or can fudge being a "new" customer again.

gotta say i was with sky last year eir this year

Sky were great to deal with

eir are terrible

sky was unlimited

eir unlimited was limited

that is all you need to know about them

at the end of the day, the broadband has worked fine though, so id still go with the cheapest

I'm leaving cork now for Dublin currently on hold to eir customer service.. What's are the bets that I'll get to speak to someone before I get there...

Did you make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

gotta say i was with sky last year eir this year

Sky were great to deal with

eir are terrible

sky was unlimited

eir unlimited was limited

that is all you need to know about them

at the end of the day, the broadband has worked fine though, so id still go with the cheapest

Luckily this broadband offer is totally unlimited from eir , same as sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Barr wrote: »
    Luckily this broadband offer is totally unlimited from eir , same as sky.

just shows the stupidity of their thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

After many attempts and long waiting periods trying to get through to customer "care" I eventually called them and selected "Cancel account" in the audio menu. 10 minutes later I was speaking to an agent. 10 minutes later again I'd saved myself €60 a month on my contract (TV, BB, 2x mobile, LL). Most of that was by moving to the SIM only offer they have, and I saved a bit on the BB too.

If you are walking , even money. Any other mode of transport you will not speak to anyone :D

Went into Eir store in dundrum and told them I was on hold for 3 hours “why didn’t you just come here?”

Speaks volumes about their phone customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Have to say, I have found Eir pleasant and easy to deal with. We switched our broadband and phone to them a few months ago. There was a pre existing crackle on our phone line that Vodafone were unable to correct. Within 2 working days of contacting them they had a technician out. He discovered the problem was external so lifted the lid on the connections outside, did what he had to do and everything is working tip top now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Yes..amazing how people still subscribe for substandard and non existant utilities from these wasters. They promise the sun moon and stars but couldn't organize a p,ss up in a brewery.. they wouldn't last a day providing their crap service if they were in mainland Europe..imagine providing or should I say promising their crap non existant broadband to French or germans..they'd be closed down permanently

But they're owned by the French :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

just shows the stupidity of their thinking

Is this broadband offer actually unlimited? I haven’t been able to figure it out.. had a look at t&cs but not sure if they were the right ones

• Advertisement

Is this broadband offer actually unlimited? I haven’t been able to figure it out.. had a look at t&cs but not sure if they were the right ones
    Terms and conditions are designed to keep you guessing. And in most cases (Incl this one) they work. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Have to say, I have found Eir pleasant and easy to deal with. We switched our broadband and phone to them a few months ago. There was a pre existing crackle on our phone line that Vodafone were unable to correct. Within 2 working days of contacting them they had a technician out. He discovered the problem was external so lifted the lid on the connections outside, did what he had to do and everything is working tip top now.

You were new business. If you ring their sales number, you'll be talking to an agent straight away. Call customer care though and... well I hung up after an hour on hold. Contact them via their online chat and you get a more prompt response but utterly useless in terms of changing your contract/plan. I even asked right from the outset... "Can you change my plan on this chat or do I need to phone"... I got boilerplate response that "We'll do our best to help" so I went through the hoops of giving my account details and proving who I am, just to be told... oh, you need to call customer care are this number...

In the end, I selected the "cancel account" option when I rang them again and I got connected to an agent in 10 minutes.

So, Eir only care about new customers and customers trying to leave. Everyone in between can stay on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Terms and conditions are designed to keep you guessing. And in most cases (Incl this one) they work. :D

I just spoke to the live chat team who claim it's an unlimited product .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh, either vvvvvv lucky,it a serious tall tale

Tall-Tale.jpg
    :D:D;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Just seen a Black Friday ad for Eir Broadband €29.99 for 12 months on 12 month contract, including Eir Sport pack which is €27 by itself!

I ordered them last week at €34.99 so I’m calling up later to see if they will give me the new deal. Not hopeful!

I signed up for this when I saw the offer of €29.99, but somehow they have put me on a €34.99 contract, wish me luck on 1901 trying to rectify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Just seen a Black Friday ad for Eir Broadband €29.99 for 12 months on 12 month contract, including Eir Sport pack which is €27 by itself!

I ordered them last week at €34.99 so I’m calling up later to see if they will give me the new deal. Not hopeful!

Thanks OP,
    I am an existing customer after getting fibre installed in august.
    Signed up on Saturday to "upgrade" for €29.99 for 12 months and 4 sim only accounts for myself and kids.
    Great value thanks.
    The helpful Eir sales person in shop said that you are allowed 5 sim only accounts with the fibre.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Eir are a connundrum alright but I've had broadband from pretty much every provider and Virgin, Vodafone, Sky all their customer services are poor as poor can be. All their IT people know so little.

So for me. Faults on the line. Less than marketed price being delivered - All on the ISP and I'll ring them and suffer the delays.
    Anything else to do with routers, configurations, reboots, i'll do it myself. Typically all they do is read scripts about checking a setting, restarting router etc.

As someone said earlier, if it's urgent, cancellation line. Get their attention. Given that Sky, Virgin, Vodafone all have to operate on the OpenEir network, reliability should be fairly consistent except at the junction box where they likely have connected their own tech. either way faults tend to get the most attention because you won't be the only one complaining.

Right now I'm sitting here waiting for an Eir installer to come install to my house. I've been waiting 8 months since moving into my new build home. I was given constantly moving connection of estate dates which seemed to carry no meaning. But finally I'm here. I have no choice really other than letting Eir connect me and take their service because I'm not live on anyone elses systems.

So I'll likely suffer 12 months of connection with them. I'll move on after but right now as Eir are in control of the grid connecting majority of Ireland you end up in a corner when it comes to new estate connections. ComReg can't regulate Eir's grid because it's private. Eir are not obligated to connect any estate. Which in this day and age is madness networking and phone should be mandatory like power, water, gas. but if Eir are laying lines in Irish soil or running them overhead with poles on public land. There should be obligations built into the contracting that allows them to execute that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

I signed up to this package on Friday in order to get fibre in to my home.
    When I was signing up I was informed that the fibre was actually €36.99 pm but I was still happy with that price so I agreed to it.
    When my confirmation email came in my price was €47.99 pm.
    I have spent Friday evening, a few hours yesterday evening and two hours this morning on hold trying to get an explanation for the pricing.
    I got through to sales, who couldn’t talk to me about an existing contract (existing since Friday). I tried the chat function three separate times who each told me I needed to contact 1901 customer chat.
    I got a call from Open Eir about a technician calling tomorrow and I cancelled him and asked to be contacted about my contract and they told me they couldn’t organise that.
    But they sent me a txt confirming a technician visit for tomorrow half an hour later.
    I dunno what I was thinking signing up tbh.
    Proceed with caution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

I signed up for this when I saw the offer of €29.99, but somehow they have put me on a €34.99 contract, wish me luck on 1901 trying to rectify this.

How did you get on with this RedSteve?
    €29.99 was for ordinary broadband, it was €36.99 for fibre broadband afaik.

I have spent 6+ hours on hold to their customer service since Monday morning, I got to speak to a rep once for two mins who insisted in transferring me to Loyalty, who hung up on me after 10 mins on hold.
    I have cancelled the open eir tech that was coming to hook me up.
    And I have now received a txt telling me they need to contact me urgently and to ring customer care.
    It’s almost as if they are mocking me.

Advertisement