Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Haka

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Elemonator wrote: »
    We should do the Macarena in response.

Or Gangnam style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Braveheart moon in response. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I used to think the haka was one of the cringiest things ever but it has its place. But new zealanders can say what they want, it looks pretty lame(hate the word but can't use the word on here) when it's majority European lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Elemonator wrote: »
    We should do the Macarena in response.

Nah we showed the best response yesterday. Defeat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

OldRio wrote: »

Even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

OldRio wrote: »

It's not an intimidating thing in and of itself though, it just suits rugby to build it up and hype it up as this big psychological advantage, in reality it's just part of the spectacle and am sure it's great to be part of and come up against if you're a young guy playing them for the first few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jesus you talk some amount of horse sh*te on boards.
    Do you just check your brain at the door on your way in or something?

Personally, I believe that I am the best poster here. I agree with everything I say

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The Haka worked grand for about 100 years until (I suspect commercial pressure) turned it into a made for TV war dance. Its about twice as long as it used to be and just looks contrived now.

But we'll all pretend it contributes to the "atmosphere".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Whites shouldn’t be doing the haka

Many white New Zealanders can demonstrate Māori whakapapa (genealogy).

It's a prerequisite to represent the NZ Maori side, as the lads below have done.

2015-12-02_spo_15085233_I1.JPG

paul-tito-b08c1e18-1251-4d62-8947-0ef2e12a689-resize-750.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some say this ritual before games gives a bit of a psychological advantage to New Zealand. Actually there have been calls for it to be scrapped on that basis.

As an aside the build up to Ireland games just prior to kickoff at the Aviva is a bit ridiculous.

Meet the president, 3 anthems and then the haka with this game. I think in total it was 20 minutes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Ireland is an island and north Atlantic consisting of two states. Ireland and Northern Ireland. The rugby team represents the Island, not an individual state.

You're one of the least entertaining trolls on boards.

Not mine, but...
    Political Guide for Tourists to Ireland

Ireland is an island to the west of Britain, but Northern Ireland is just off the mainland ,not the Irish mainland, the British mainland.

The capital of Ireland is Dublin. It has a population of a million people, all of whom will be shopping in Newry this afternoon.

They travel to Newry for cheaper shopping,because it is in the North, which is not part of Ireland.

Under the Irish constitution, the North used to be in Ireland, but a successful 30-year campaign of violence for Irish unity ensured that it is now definitely in the UK .

Had the campaign lasted longer the North might now be in France .

Belfast is the capital of Northern Ireland. It has a population of half a million, half of whom have houses in Donegal.

Donegal is in the north but not in the North. It is in the South. No, not the south, the South.

There are two parliaments in Ireland. The Dublin parliament is called the Dáil, (pronounced Doyle), an Irish word meaning a place where banks receive taxpayers money.

The one in Belfast is called Stormont, an Anglo-Saxon word meaning placebo, or deliberately ineffective drug.

Their respective jurisdictions are defined by the border, an imaginary line on the map to show fuel launderers where to dump chemical waste.

Protestants are in favour of the border, which generates millions of pounds in smuggling for Catholics, who are opposed to it.

Travel between the two states is complicated because Ireland is the only country in the world with two M1 motorways.

The one in the North goes west to avoid the south and the one in the South goes north to avoid the price of drink.

We have two types of democracy in Ireland. Dublin democracy works by holding a referendum and then allowing the government to judge the result..
    If the government thinks the result is wrong, the referendum is held again.

Twice in recent years the government decided the people’s choice was wrong and ordered a new referendum.

Belfast democracy works differently. It has a parliament with no opposition, so the government is always right.

This system generates envy in many world capitals, especially Dublin.

Ireland has three economies northern, southern and black. Only the black economy is in the black. The other two are in the red.

All versions of the IRA claim to be the real IRA but only one of them is the Real IRA.

The Norths biggest industry is the production of IRAs.

Consequently, we now have the Provisional, Continuity and Real IRA.

The Real IRA is by far the most popular among young graffiti writers simply because it is the easiest to spell.

30+ is middle aged

No it’s not, late 40’s at the absolute minimum but usually it’s someone in their 50’s you would refer to a middle aged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Of course, there are no Maoris on Boards.ie

BrjDU9nCEAEfgVm.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I was at the game last night. Absolutely brilliant atmosphere. The haka is always a great spectacle. People love it, and it's more than a nod to traditional Maori culture. All this stuff about it being cultural appropriation is stupid bollocks from arseholes in the outrage factories of twitter and other internet opinion venues.

As the lads from Northern Ireland sitting beside us jokingly said, it made as much sense to them as Amhrán na bhFiann. Only not as intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭deezell

They've got the Haka, we've got 2 anthems, well, at home anyway.
    Ex all black Justin Marshall was a guest on the off the Ball road show, and was spouting on about the cultural, blah blah of the Haka, when Keith Wood called him out, pointing out that they had flogged it to Adidas to use in their ads. So it's now just a marketing device.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

... it looks pretty lame(hate the word but can't use the word on here) when it's majority European lads.

Do you get the same awkward feeling when you see a load of African or Asian lads using a telephone? Or cycling a bicycle? Or speaking English?

No?

Well then, let the 'European' lads dance any way they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

deezell wrote: »
    They've got the Haka, we've got 2 anthems, well, at home anyway.
    Ex all black Justin Marshall was a guest on the off the Ball road show, and was spouting on about the cultural, blah blah of the Haka, when Keith Wood called him out, pointing out that they had flogged it to Adidas to use in their ads. So it's now just a marketing device.
    Paul Kimmage had a good piece about that in yesterday's Sindo. He had a good rip at the O'Driscoll-Umaga love-fest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

First Up wrote: »
    Paul Kimmage had a good piece about that in yesterday's Sindo. He had a good rip at the O'Driscoll-Umaga love-fest too.

Drico pretty much said straight out on his twitter he did it for the cash.

And fair ****s to him.

Love a bit of cultural appreciation around here, don't we?!

Surely it must be cultural appropriation. Are any of them Mauries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Personally, I believe that I am the best poster here. I agree with everything I say

I’m actually surprised at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

No it’s not, late 40’s at the absolute minimum but usually it’s someone in their 50’s you would refer to a middle aged.

How long do you think people live for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I do the 'Kaka' on the toilet bowl after hot curry resplendent with slapping myself silly as well.

"Eeeeee......ahhhhh....oooo ahhhhhh......" etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

No, once you hit 40, you’re middle-aged. Average life expectancy bears that up. 40-somethings are referred to as middle-aged all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Why should one team dictate respect? Why don't the opposition just walk away or not face the haka? It would make it quite less intimidating then.

Because they would probably spear tackle you at the very first chance, like they did to BOD during a Lions Tour, and all he did was throw a blade of grass into the air, which was meant to be a term of respect/acknowledgment to them.
    New Zealand should be allowed do the Haka right in the opposition's faces like they did a few years back. Keeping them at a safe distance of the opposition has ruined the Haka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn_ZyQ7jW9o

Been some very memorable examples of this, including the Irish Team them selves. Was expecting the same on Saturday when the Irish Line moved forward. Remember the Welsh once doing this, and both teams refeused to move ever after the Haka was finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,276 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No, once you hit 40, you’re middle-aged. Average life expectancy bears that up. 40-somethings are referred to as middle-aged all the time.

the original post said 30+ was middle aged. that is nonsense of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,276 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Surely it must be cultural appropriation. Are any of them Mauries?

I dont think any of them are called Maurie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

It's a wonder Bundee Aki didn't do The Haka back to them on his own

Like 4 Munster players did in 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

blueser wrote: »
    I dare you to post that in the rugby forum!

OK. I have no problem slagging their mindless game to their face.

The official definition of middle aged over 45. So pretty much exactly what I said late 40's and into the 50's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The official definition of middle aged over 45. So pretty much exactly what I said late 40's and into the 50's.

Actually, the official definition differs between various dictionaries and medical dictionaries. Some say 45, some 40. You’d struggle to convince anyone that 40 or 41 is young adulthood. When you’re much closer to 50 than 21, the jig is up.

Advertisement