Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Haka

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Literally the only good thing about rugby is playing 'spot the prod' during Amhrán na bhFiann.

Because prods dont know how to mime the words properly? Must have been a near full crowd of them at the football on Thursday if thats the measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A bunch of white, middle class, middle aged men doing a Maori war dance. Ridiculous.

A bunch of white, middle class, middle aged men doing a Maori war dance. Ridiculous.

You kinda lost that at middle aged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Despite the three anthems and the war dance, I still feel that rugby could do with more pre-match build-up. Maybe a dance off.

Cheerleaders and maybe some cage fighting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

darlett wrote: »
    Because prods dont know how to mime the words properly? Must have been a near full crowd of them at the football on Thursday if thats the measure.

No, because they don't go through the motions of pretending to know the words and just stand there, stony-faced throughout. Not even a "seo libh, canaidh..." out of them.

• Advertisement

No, because they don't go through the motions of pretending to know the words and just stand there, stony-faced throughout. Not even a "seo libh, canaidh..." out of them.

Yes we do. We walk amongst you. We mime along with you. At both Rugby and Football. Even GAA. Its likely you have acquaintances from that side that just care less about it.

Yes we do. We walk amongst you. We mime along with you. At both Rugby and Football. Even GAA. Its likely you have acquaintances from that side that just care less about it.

I wish I could pinpoint the exact moment when making jokey, flippant remarks on AH became impossible without sparking earnest responses.

I wish I could pinpoint the exact moment when making jokey, flippant remarks on AH became impossible without sparking earnest responses.
    Apologies. Let me withdraw my earnest response, and travel back to that simpler more jokey, flippant period in our boards.ie AH history.

LOOK PRODS AT THE RUGBY AHahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No-one has ever been able to pinpoint the exact moment, but it has something to do with "snowflakes" and "PC gone mad". Maybe even 'SJWs', but it's impossible to know.

Apologies. Let me withdraw my earnest response, and travel back to that simpler more jokey, flippant period in our boards.ie AH history.

LOOK PRODS AT THE RUGBY AHahahahaha

I'd just like to clarify, lest there be any doubt whatsoever, that I have nothing against our Church of Ireland brethren. You worship God your way, and I - a committed Roman Catholic - worship him his way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

No-one has ever been able to pinpoint the exact moment, but it has something to do with "snowflakes" and "PC gone mad". Maybe even 'SJWs', but it's impossible to know.

In fairness how many provocative threads are started by 'SJWs' ? Absolutely none as far as I can see. The threads with the biggest reactions are ones started about Muslims, travellers, feminists, dole recipient's etc. The decline of After Hours has **** all to do with 'SJWs' whatever that's supposed to mean anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Get a few lads from Pavee Point out on the field to do one of those 'bare knuckle fight callouts'

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

Have to say I find the Haka a bit silly. It's the kind of thing that's cool the first time you see it but the novelty wears off quickly once you've seen it a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Literally the only good thing about rugby is playing 'spot the prod' during Amhrán na bhFiann.

Where to begin with this... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I love the Haka, I get a bit emotional when I see it. Very powerful. The kiwis pull it off well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Get a few lads from Pavee Point out on the field to do one of those 'bare knuckle fight callouts'

Some amount of YT camera men at those callouts, they must be on a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The Haka is a microcosm of Rugby.

i.e utterly retarded

It's also heavily involved in social media if you want something to go viral. Like watch all these legless and armless children do the haka in honour of their teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Whatever your thoughts on the Haka, its definitely worth searching YouTube for videos of the guys doing it back in the 70s and 80s before matches. Pathetic altogether.

Don't see why anyone would have an issue with it. The more culture, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

They aren’t all white, not all of them are middle class, none of them are middle aged, and some of them are Maori.

Everything else you said was right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Cringe worthy in the highest.especially for the white lads on the team.sad for them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

The Haka is a microcosm of Rugby.

i.e utterly retarded

Totally concurr. Pile of sh1t talk that teams have to ‘respect’ the hacka.....do I recall Ireland getting in trouble one year for not showing the hacka ‘respect’ did they turn their back or eye ball the players while they did phsyco ritual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Rugby is not my sport... I don’t watch it and know very little about it, so I’m sure rugby heads might tell me im way off here, but the Haka seems like such self indulgent nonsense

So New Zealand has a unique culture, history and tradition. wonderful.

So does literally every country on earth.

Why does the rugby world have to play the part of a reverent audience every time they come to town?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If they can listen to Ireland's call we can watch the Haka.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is wil' scary !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Ironic that the Ireland team las Thursday had more players born in Ireland than the team that played yesterday. Quite a turn around from a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You kinda lost that at middle aged.

30+ is middle aged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Rugby is not my sport... I don’t watch it and know very little about it, so I’m sure rugby heads might tell me im way off here, but the Haka seems like such self indulgent nonsense

Why does the rugby world have to play the part of a reverent audience every time they come to town?

It's a feature of Polynesian culture, not just a NZ thing.

International test teams also face a 'war dance' when playing against Tonga & Samoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Is there anything to be said for having another Haka?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Same reason we have 2 anthems.

Advertisement