Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRFU land sale

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yes. And true to form, you haven't addressed it.
    What do you want me to address? Ive no idea how to adress the gap but just having more pros playing AIL wont close the gap. And that doesnt help the provinces who would benefit from more A games as theyve guys playing on one team and not 3/4/5. The gap cant really close.
    awec wrote: »
    It depends on what you define as successful for this semi pro league.

A league where fringe / A players can play every week at a competitive level (higher than current AIL, below Pro14) that doesn't cost a fortune to run is achievable. If this is what they want, they can probably be successful.

A league that gets hundreds or thousands through the gates every week? Probably not, but I'm not sure it's a goal.
    Provinces want fringe guys playing together. But by and large that wont get high attendances/support. Club game would be far better with players playing for clubs across division 1A/1B but provinces dont like that as they dont have enough control over players... hard to find a suitable compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I don't see where I said it wasn't across the road, in fact, my words were "parking is across the road......." . Weekend access to changing rooms isn't much good when training is during the week.
    Use of any school grounds is at the discretion of a school and could change at any point in the future. Don't see where that can be disputed.

As stated in my initial post, Tallaght have key access to the changing rooms and grounds so they can come and go pretty much as they please. The pitch itself is not on the school grounds but literally across the road.
    No one said give the club a free home. Each time it was mentioned I think I said on some sort of rent to buy or long term sale agreement.

Firhouse is the fourth home grounds that they've used in recent years. Perhaps stability is what they need more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If the goal is long term ROI, then one would imagine they will invest in providing engaging environments for kids and their parents in both traditional and non traditional areas.

For the most part the IRFU have shown themselves to have great vision and leadership and one would imagine the above is a priority for them.

I read and hear a lot of opinions on individual scenarios that the IRFU have performed well in and sometimes terribly.
    However what is encouraging is that there is evidence that they have the humility to accept faults, the integrity to do what they profess and the conviction to follow through on long term plans.

I honestly use them as a personal reference point.

Its not a race to the bottom but compare them to other sporting organisations in this country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes. And true to form, you haven't addressed it.

Who says it needs fixing? The likes of the Celtic Cup are far more useful to the professional game than the AIL is, or would be even if it was semi-pro. There is no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So because Leinster don't attract a full 18k to every match, a semi-pro league won't work? Connacht max out at 8k with temporary terraces at each end. Should we close down Connacht because the support isn't there?

No but how does this “semi pro” team finance itself? If they can’t generate a decent support base, there is no hope of attracting sponsorship. This is the if we build it they will come approach, what happens when they don’t? The IRFU continues to fund it until all this money is gone, then what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As stated in my initial post, Tallaght have key access to the changing rooms and grounds so they can come and go pretty much as they please. The pitch itself is not on the school grounds but literally across the road.

Firhouse is the fourth home grounds that they've used in recent years. Perhaps stability is what they need more.

Firhouse is for training. The pitch is best described as a rolling series of hills and power lines cut across it. The first match played on it and 3 of the first 4 kick offs towards the end with the container hit the lines. As far as matches go it's last resort use really.

It, and the tymon pitch are Council pitches. They are deemed unplayable when the park is called off as a whole, despite the pitch actually being really good and never holding water.

Advertisement