Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH installation equipment ONT / ODP / Wireless Routers etc...

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

tuxy wrote: »
    But we already explained that it takes Open Eir months of testing before they know if a device is safe to roll-out on their network. So unless Open Eir decides to test whatever device you're looking at the answer is no one knows but it's not worth the consequences of finding out it doesn't.

thank you thats more civil answer. Right yes I forgot that bit about that they have to extensively test a product before giving it approval/putting it into circulation. So , for the fact that it is a Huawei box and that they have been using Huawei products for yonks (although that must hang in the balance now these days) I would have thought it may have been on the approved list already .. you know like it being a tried and tested make like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Forget who makes the product, every network is different. Testing is expensive, why test something that will never be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

tuxy wrote: »
    Forget who makes the product, every network is different. Testing is expensive, why test something that will never be used?

is there any radical / logical reason why a combined unit such as this would not be considered / never be used? - I'm trying to think why it wouldnt (or has that been answered before too?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Something like that could be used if Open Eir wanted to restrict what routers providers used. If the goal was to lock customers in to only have the option of one or maybe two routers that would be the way to do it. It would also give people less flexibility on router placement in the home unless installers are going to start running long optical cables inside adding to the install cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Found this thread when setting up my Orbi to work with my eir FTTH ONT.

My setup is like this:

ONT <--> 8 port switch <--> Orbi Router VLAN 10 is tagged on the ONT and the WAN port in order to make this work.

Question is, does anyone know if it's possible to use the WAN port as a WAN and a LAN at the same time? The rest of my network connects to the switch and I don't really want to connect my network like below:

ONT <--> Orbit Router WAN
    Orbit Router LAN <--> 8 port switch

Posted this in the Netgear forums as well so hopefully get an answer somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

digiman wrote: »
    Found this thread when setting up my Orbi to work with my eir FTTH ONT.

My setup is like this:

ONT <--> 8 port switch <--> Orbi Router VLAN 10 is tagged on the ONT and the WAN port in order to make this work.

Question is, does anyone know if it's possible to use the WAN port as a WAN and a LAN at the same time? The rest of my network connects to the switch and I don't really want to connect my network like below:

ONT <--> Orbit Router WAN
    Orbit Router LAN <--> 8 port switch

Posted this in the Netgear forums as well so hopefully get an answer somewhere.

No.

Are the devices physically distant, is that why you're doing it? In any case if it werent for the VLAN tags you'd have all your internal devices directly on the net without any NAT in between - usually a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

ED E wrote: »
    No.

Are the devices physically distant, is that why you're doing it? In any case if it werent for the VLAN tags you'd have all your internal devices directly on the net without any NAT in between - usually a terrible idea.

Yes, they are in different rooms and I’ve only got one cable from the room I want to put the Orbi router in and where the ONT is. What I done is put in a switch in the room where the Orbi router is and this allows me to connect the WAN and LAN port to the switch and the switch can then backhaul the WAN and LAN traffic over just the one cable between the rooms.

Understand the VLAN tags are saving me here, as the WAN port has my internet IP address and my LAN has all my local IP address.

Working now anyway, getting good results with speeds ranging from 500-825Mbps around the house with 25 devices connected.

Good setup, managed to pick up the Orbi AX6000 from the Amazon Germany warehouse with 30% off and ended up with a brand new device. Saved over €300 compared to the best price available during Black Friday

Advertisement