Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MagnaClean Filter

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Talked to my plumber, he said normally you install these in gas rather than oil system but said he would install no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If there’s a weak spot there’s no point in covering it up. Tech 7 won’t make it any stronger.
    Op, don’t install a magnaclean unit unless the system is properly powerflushed beforehand. By all means all texh7 after if you feel the need to. It’s no harm.

It's no harm? Really? Not a fan then? Invested too much in powerflushing more like.

First there is no need to powerflush. Adey's Magnacleanse system is just as effective with multiple advantages. It is cheaper, quicker, cleaner, more compact, uses the boiler's water pump and CH water to operate, and is just as effective as powerflushing regardless of your flawed assertions. Furthermore, if you fit a magnetic filter FIRST, then you already have your isolation valves and access to the boiler return to use either the Magnacleanse OR powerflushing. So for ease of access as well as the magnetic filtering they are highly recommended.

And why do some boilers come with extended warranty if the magnetic filter is fitted then? Obviously they are only going to increase warranty cover because the system lasts longer with one fitted?

luap_42 wrote: »
    It's no harm? Really? Not a fan then? Invested too much in powerflushing more like.

First there is no need to powerflush. Adey's Magnacleanse system is just as effective with multiple advantages. It is cheaper, quicker, cleaner, more compact, uses the boiler's water pump and CH water to operate, and is just as effective as powerflushing regardless of your flawed assertions. Furthermore, if you fit a magnetic filter FIRST, then you already have your isolation valves and access to the boiler return to use either the Magnacleanse OR powerflushing. So for ease of access as well as the magnetic filtering they are highly recommended.

And why do some boilers come with extended warranty if the magnetic filter is fitted then? Obviously they are only going to increase warranty cover because the system lasts longer with one fitted?

Your very wrong in your assumptions and those who believe your misguided advice will pay more in the long run, dealing with contaminated heating systems is not rocket science and there is a simplistic time proven process which Dtp1979 and those like him can explain to you based on their time spent cleaning heating systems.

You should be fine so. Just remember their purpose is to protect boilers, not systems, against sludge buildup

More incorrect assertions.

Of course they prevent system sludge buildup. What do you think sludge is?

90% of sludge in CH systems are magnetic particles, which will be trapped by the magnetic filter WHEREVER they originate from in the system.

In a clean system, sludge particles form from air, water and metal surfaces, but the pressure of the CH system will keep them suspended in the water initially, and so they WILL pass over the magnetic filter which WILL catch them whether they come from rads, HE, pumps etc.

If there is also good inhibitor in the system, and no leaks (air), then less magnetic particles will form, and those that do will be suspended in the water and then trapped by the magnetic filter.

It's not a 100% solution for keeping a system clean, but it is definitely the nearest thing to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Honestly, I don’t know where to start.
    Nothing, and I mean nothing, is better than a Powerflush. Magnacleanse is quicker? How? Cleaner? How?
    Cheaper yes, then again, you get what you pay for I suppose. Using the boilers pump to create the water velocity needed to move the sludge is not good enough. It’s a diy tool at very best, if not used in conjunction with a good machine. The system pump is NOT good enough.
    The fact that you highlight that it’s great to use the magnet isolation valves for ease in tapping into the system return shows your capabilities. A real plumber wouldn’t fret over such a simple thing. (Don’t forget to remove the actual system pump when cleaning the system properly folks ;))
    Boiler manufacturers do recommend them yes. Thats because they protect the BOILER. That is their sole purpose and they are best fitted on to a clean system. Yes, they will mildly help desludge a system by catching a few rogue particles.

More incorrect assertions.

Of course they prevent system sludge buildup. What do you think sludge is?

90% of sludge in CH systems are magnetic particles, which will be trapped by the magnetic filter WHEREVER they originate from in the system.

In a clean system, sludge particles form from air, water and metal surfaces, but the pressure of the CH system will keep them suspended in the water initially, and so they WILL pass over the magnetic filter which WILL catch them whether they come from rads, HE, pumps etc.

If there is also good inhibitor in the system, and no leaks (air), then less magnetic particles will form, and those that do will be suspended in the water and then trapped by the magnetic filter.

It's not a 100% solution for keeping a system clean, but it is definitely the nearest thing to it.

In a clean system magnetite doesn’t form.

gary71 wrote: »
    Your very wrong in your assumptions and those who believe your misguided advice will pay more in the long wrong, dealing with contaminated heating systems is not rocket science and there is a simplistic time proven process which Dtp1979 and those like him can explain to you based on their time spent cleaning heating systems.

Yes, it is NOT rocket science. Time proven process? Sure, with cowboys on every corner ready to wreck your boiler by loosening the sludge from rads and it ending up in your pump and heat exchanger. With good magnetic filters the loosened sludge will never get past them and into the pump, or boiler unless it is already there.

The Magnaclenase system is not rocket science. It loosens the sludge via chemicals and vibration, and then removes the sludge via two large magnets until the water runs clear. It's a similar system to powerflushing without the mess, less water wasted, and half the time to do it, therefore cheaper, and less risk to your boiler.

Yes, they do. All you need is air, water and metal for particles to begin forming. If there is air in the system then you are already on your way.

Maybe in a closed system....which I still doubt....but it certainly does in an open system.....

• Advertisement

The problem with powerflush is that a load of cowboys are doing it. Most of them have no idea what they are doing and cause more harm to the system than fixing it.....

From what I can see, once I have the MagnaClean installed I could potentially look at their option to clean it out which would be a huge plus for me. I will keep the MagnaClean in the loop then and put in some additives

Done......

Powerflush and I would bet you some clown will bust something and then walk out the door.....

Honestly, I don’t know where to start.
    Nothing, and I mean nothing, is better than a Powerflush. Magnacleanse is quicker? How? Cleaner? How?
    Cheaper yes, then again, you get what you pay for I suppose. Using the boilers pump to create the water velocity needed to move the sludge is not good enough. It’s a diy tool at very best, if not used in conjunction with a good machine. The system pump is NOT good enough.
    The fact that you highlight that it’s great to use the magnet isolation valves for ease in tapping into the system return shows your capabilities. A real plumber wouldn’t fret over such a simple thing. (Don’t forget to remove the actual system pump when cleaning the system properly folks ;))
    Boiler manufacturers do recommend them yes. Thats because they protect the BOILER. That is their sole purpose and they are best fitted on to a clean system. Yes, they will mildly help desludge a system by catching a few rogue particles.

Quicker by half. 2 hours for a whole house. Cleaner by having a completely contained system.

A few rogue particles! Sure, if you say so. You obviously have a vested interest in selling powerflushing services, and haven't even bothered to to see how much sludge these filters remove from a system without even dosing it.

If your system is completely blocked up, then the rads are coming off anyway, in which case, your garden hose and a rubber mallet will do that job.

There is a place for powerflushing with heavily blocked systems, but for most purposes, the Magnacleanse does the job just as good, cheaper, quicker, cleaner. And no cowboys in sight.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Maybe in a closed system....which I still doubt....but it certainly does in an open system.....

A clean system with no leaks which has inhibitor added to it every 4-5 years will stay very clean, I know this because it was common place to check the water condition on open vented heating systems during a service for the company I worked for.

A friend of mine who maintained his own heating system for over 30 years had no magnetite in his open vented heating system

A clean system with no leaks which has inhibitor added to it every 4-5 years will stay very clean, I know this because it was common place to check the water condition on open vented heating systems during a service for the company I worked for.

A friend of mine who maintained his own heating system for over 30 years had no magnetite in his open vented heating system

How many of these systems are in Ireland?

The problem with powerflush is that a load of cowboys are doing it. Most of them have no idea what they are doing and cause more harm to the system than fixing it.....

From what I can see, once I have the MagnaClean installed I could potentially look at their option to clean it out which would be a huge plus for me. I will keep the MagnaClean in the loop then and put in some additives

Done......

Powerflush and I would bet you some clown will bust something and then walk out the door.....

The quality of the system water dictates the cleaning level required but most good installers will choose to power flush as a given rather than risk a recall on a new install because they didn’t identify the correct level of contamination.

Cowboys doing a job doesn’t mean Powerflushimg doesn’t have its place, you can pick any aspect of the gas or oil trade and use the same argument.

How many of these systems are in Ireland?

None, why?

Quicker by half. 2 hours for a whole house. Cleaner by having a completely contained system.

A few rogue particles! Sure, if you say so. You obviously have a vested interest in selling powerflushing services, and haven't even bothered to to see how much sludge these filters remove from a system without even dosing it.

If your system is completely blocked up, then the rads are coming off anyway, in which case, your garden hose and a rubber mallet will do that job.

There is a place for powerflushing with heavily blocked systems, but for most purposes, the Magnacleanse does the job just as good, cheaper, quicker, cleaner. And no cowboys in sight.

O NO IT DOESN’T

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Shefwedfan wrote:

can i ask how do you get all the cleaning addictive out of the ch system after you've completed the flush through the magnaclense and removed all of the sludge? do you test for 'total desolved solids' TDS and ph levels before and after clensing?

No. You’re wrong

I use the powerflushing machine in CONJUNCTION with a large Kamco magnet, and if the system is really bad I’ll add my magnacleanse doubt magnet in series with it too. Therefore no loosened dirt gets anywhere near the boiler. I don’t know where you’re getting your info from. Maybe stop reading off the back of a leaflet that some clown is advertising magnacleanse. It’s a slower, less effective way of cleaning a system.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is NOT rocket science. Time proven process? Sure, with cowboys on every corner ready to wreck your boiler by loosening the sludge from rads and it ending up in your pump and heat exchanger. With good magnetic filters the loosened sludge will never get past them and into the pump, or boiler unless it is already there.

The Magnaclenase system is not rocket science. It loosens the sludge via chemicals and vibration, and then removes the sludge via two large magnets until the water runs clear. It's a similar system to powerflushing without the mess, less water wasted, and half the time to do it, therefore cheaper, and less risk to your boiler.

Forgive me I didn’t realise you meant using a Magnets to flush a heating system, using magnets works perfectly well but to argue it’s better or worse than a Powerflush is pointless as they have different characteristics it’s like arguing about a 1 iron and a 5 iron when golfing both can hit the ball but you need to pick the right one for the shot in front of you.

Ok guys, this is gone down a rabbit hole....

I have the MagnaClean. The plumber said before installing he would empty the system so is leaving till after Christmas to make sure if any faults then it wont affect the Christmas period.

Am I correct in saying the MagnaClean will do no harm?
    It is better to have than not have?
    If the system is fairly new then it will help going forward?

Ok guys, this is gone down a rabbit hole....

I have the MagnaClean. The plumber said before installing he would empty the system so is leaving till after Christmas to make sure if any faults then it wont affect the Christmas period.

Am I correct in saying the MagnaClean will do no harm?
    It is better to have than not have?
    If the system is fairly new then it will help going forward?

Harm? No not at all. The only harm is if there’s a lot of sludge in the system then the magnet might fill quick. All you need to do is clean it and It’s not a big job doing that. So don’t worry yourself.

Harm? No not at all. The only harm is if there’s a lot of sludge in the system then the magnet might fill quick. All you need to do is clean it and It’s not a big job doing that. So don’t worry yourself.

So it will do what it says on the box:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Forgive me I didn’t realise you meant using a Magnets to flush a heating system, using magnets works perfectly well but to argue it’s better or worse than a Powerflush is pointless as they have different characteristics it’s like arguing about a 1 iron and a 5 iron when golfing both can hit the ball but you need to pick the right one for the shot in front of you.[/

Is the 1 iron the magnacleanse :),not many golfers using a 1 iron nowadays incl the pros:)

agusta wrote: »
    Forgive me I didn’t realise you meant using a Magnets to flush a heating system, using magnets works perfectly well but to argue it’s better or worse than a Powerflush is pointless as they have different characteristics it’s like arguing about a 1 iron and a 5 iron when golfing both can hit the ball but you need to pick the right one for the shot in front of you.[/

Is the 1 iron the magnacleanse :),not many golfers using a 1 iron nowadays incl the pros:)

My bad, I stopped playing golf when my wife took my balls:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Our rads are very old. We had a new boiler with a magnaclean installed last week. After just a few minutes on the first run, it was clogged. the plumber said hopefully that's most of the gunk cleared and we'd be able to clean it ourselves next time.

So today I shut the valves and tried to get the lid off, but it's stuck fast and I'm worried I'll damage the pipes behind if I force it. Any tips? I've already contacted the plumber to come when he can, but if I could avoid having to pay him it would be great. Would wd40 or similar oil be of any use? It's not even moving a mm.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Our rads are very old. We had a new boiler with a magnaclean installed last week. After just a few minutes on the first run, it was clogged. the plumber said hopefully that's most of the gunk cleared and we'd be able to clean it ourselves next time.

So today I shut the valves and tried to get the lid off, but it's stuck fast and I'm worried I'll damage the pipes behind if I force it. Any tips? I've already contacted the plumber to come when he can, but if I could avoid having to pay him it would be great. Would wd40 or similar oil be of any use? It's not even moving a mm.

The system should have been powerflushed before your new boiler went in. I’d avoid getting your installer back as he sounds like a cowboy. You’re going to need a powerflush.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The system should have been powerflushed before your new boiler went in. I’d avoid getting your installer back as he sounds like a cowboy. You’re going to need a powerflush.
    He said he'd come back and do the powerflush if needed but he wanted to see if it would have much in it.

Do you really think I should get someone else in to do it? He would know the system.

• Advertisement

s1ippy wrote: »
    He said he'd come back and do the powerflush if needed but he wanted to see if it would have much in it.

Do you really think I should get someone else in to do it? He would know the system.

If he was any good he should have flushed the system before the boiler went in. How much did the job cost out of intrest?

Advertisement