Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MagnaClean Filter

Options
  • 06-11-2018 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering has anyone any experience of the following?

https://www.adey.com/product/magnaclean-professional2xp

I done a search on forum and didn't see many mentions. I was recommended to install and after looking at some videos it seems like a good product. A lot of installations in the UK

Just wondering has anyone installed in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

From what I know they are fairly common if your getting an upgrade or a plumber should be able to install it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

We got new boiler and controls last year and this was installed too. Id say like above poster fairly common now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Payton wrote: »
    From what I know they are fairly common if your getting an upgrade or a plumber should be able to install it for you.

I was going to buy in from UK then try and get someone local to install...

I was interested in then doing the following:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG2aPuN3wg8

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Great bit of kit. I’m not a plumber but I’ve repaired and flushed out a number of heating systems in my day, you will not believe the kilos of sludge and crap that can be distroying and stealing effiency from your heating, I fitted one a year ago in my own house and it collected a fair amount of ****e, but easy to clean and now the water in my rads is clean and rads are super quick to heat with no cold spots. Worth the cost in reduced maintenance and fuel costs

Glen Immal wrote: »
    Great bit of kit. I’m not a plumber but I’ve repaired and flushed out a number of heating systems in my day, you will not believe the kilos of sludge and crap that can be distroying and stealing effiency from your heating, I fitted one a year ago in my own house and it collected a fair amount of ****e, but easy to clean and now the water in my rads is clean and rads are super quick to heat with no cold spots. Worth the cost in reduced maintenance and fuel costs

Did you buy any of the add on products?

https://www.adey.com/product/mc3-cleaner

• Advertisement

No, I just flushed and vibrated the rads to shift the gunk, then drained down system and refilled with clean water, dosed with tech 7 plumb which is a leak sealer and system inhibiter, system still clean a year later, mag filter only collects a minute amount of crap now. I was worried that flushing would expose weak spots in system and cause leaks, hence the tech 7

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

No, I just flushed and vibrated the rads to shift the gunk, then drained down system and refilled with clean water, dosed with tech 7 plumb which is a leak sealer and system inhibiter, system still clean a year later, mag filter only collects a minute amount of crap now. I was worried that flushing would expose weak spots in system and cause leaks, hence the tech 7

If there’s a weak spot there’s no point in covering it up. Tech 7 won’t make it any stronger.
    Op, don’t install a magnaclean unit unless the system is properly powerflushed beforehand. By all means all texh7 after if you feel the need to. It’s no harm.

I was told never to install Tec7 if you can get away with it. It is not good for the boilers/rads etc.....

I know I had a small leak in previous house and one plumber came in and wanted to fire in 2 bottles. I talked to a few people and they said not to bother. That was a terrible job and probably wouldn't fix the leak anyway.

[COLOR=inherit !important]

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }[/COLOR]

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If there’s a weak spot there’s no point in covering it up. Tech 7 won’t make it any stronger.
    Op, don’t install a magnaclean unit unless the system is properly powerflushed beforehand. By all means all texh7 after if you feel the need to. It’s no harm.

80% of the system where installed less than 2 years ago with new radiators/pipes etc.

Their is a couple of older radiators but they got installed in 2006. Not really an old system. Not sure it would require a powerflush for such a new system.

if I emptied the system and filled back with water when installing the MagnaClean would that not be the best option?

New water was put into system when new rads etc got installed

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    80% of the system where installed less than 2 years ago with new radiators/pipes etc.

Their is a couple of older radiators but they got installed in 2006. Not really an old system. Not sure it would require a powerflush for such a new system.

if I emptied the system and filled back with water when installing the MagnaClean would that not be the best option?

New water was put into system when new rads etc got installed

You should be fine so. Just remember their purpose is to protect boilers, not systems, against sludge buildup

• Advertisement

Just wondering has anyone connected to a pipe horizontal instead of vertical. The pipes come into the boiler in my house horizontal....dont think it would make difference but jsut wondering

Don’t think the orientation of the pipes will matter as the water is pumped through, although the filter bowl must be upright obviously

Don’t think the orientation of the pipes will matter as the water is pumped through, although the filter bowl must be upright obviously

Yea pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Latro

Just wondering has anyone connected to a pipe horizontal instead of vertical. The pipes come into the boiler in my house horizontal....dont think it would make difference but jsut wondering

It is covered in the installation manual how to connect it to horizontal pipe.

Latro wrote: »
    It is covered in the installation manual how to connect it to horizontal pipe.

Found it after I asked the question

Anyone use the non branded versions?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/222380053980

Anyone use the non branded versions?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/222380053980

Rubbish. Bad seals and weak magnets. You get what you pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

I've installed a MagnaClean Professional 2 a month ago with upgraded controls. After 4 days of running magnet inside was full of black sludge.
    I've cleaned it almost weekly since then.
    - first 2 times was full of sludge each time.
    - third time just half full.
    I'll clean it again in 2 weeks. Hope will be cleaner.

I only added inhibitor to my system, no cleaning chemicals or flushes before.(I did drained the system 3-4 times while upgrading my controls).

Radiators are much hotter now with less time to get to full temperature. Boiler seems quieter as well.

If anyone installs a magnetic filter I would recommend to buy a quality one(not those cheap ones) and install it as a DIY if have some skills(plumbers might ask to much for a simple job.)

serox_21 wrote: »
    I've installed a MagnaClean Professional 2 a month ago with upgraded controls. After 4 days of running magnet inside was full of black sludge.
    I've cleaned it almost weekly since then.
    - first 2 times was full of sludge each time.
    - third time just half full.
    I'll clean it again in 2 weeks. Hope will be cleaner.

I only added inhibitor to my system, no cleaning chemicals or flushes before.(I did drained the system 3-4 times while upgrading my controls).

Radiators are much hotter now with less time to get to full temperature. Boiler seems quieter as well.

If anyone installs a magnetic filter I would recommend to buy a quality one(not those cheap ones) and install it as a DIY if have some skills(plumbers might ask to much for a simple job.)

A bit late now but you should never add inhibitor to a dirty system

So what, in my system which is fairly new.

Just install Magnaclean and run for a few months and then install???

• Advertisement

This is what the filter is for. It should clean up any sludge.

Don't want to risk a power flush.

Inhibitors are supposed to help prevent corrosion/sludge. Why is not OK to add inhibitors?

I can drain the system and fill it with water only.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Inhibitors are supposed to help prevent corrosion/sludge. Why is not OK to add inhibitors?

Read the product data sheet about adding it to a dirty system. I don't have it to hand but I suppose it can be gotten on the www.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

I've just checked the datasheet of the inhibitor I've used. Doen't say anything about adding to a system that is not cleaned.

They do recommend to use cleaning chemicals before but nothing about adding to a system that was not power flushed or fully cleaned before.

I did flush(filled up with water and drained) the system a few times before finally adding inhibitor.

L.E. Just read the instruction for chemical cleaning product. I might drain the system, fill it up with cleaning chemicals and let it run for a while before having inhibitor added for long term.

I've just checked the datasheet of the inhibitor I've used. Doen't say anything about adding to a system that is not cleaned.

They do recommend to use cleaning chemicals before but nothing about adding to a system that was not power flushed or fully cleaned before.

I did flush(filled up with water and drained) the system a few times before finally adding inhibitor.

L.E. Just read the instruction for chemical cleaning product. I might drain the system, fill it up with cleaning chemicals and let it run for a while before having inhibitor added for long term.

That is not flushing. Not even close.

No that is not what the filter is for.
    The filter is a boiler protection device. Nothing more. It’ will catch some sludge but will not clean the system.
    Depending on the chemical you used, it causes a mixture with the sludge that can be corrosive to pet piping.
    A Powerflush is not a risk either.

No that is not what the filter is for.
    The filter is a boiler protection device. Nothing more. It’ will catch some sludge but will not clean the system.
    Depending on the chemical you used, it causes a mixture with the sludge that can be corrosive to pet piping.
    A Powerflush is not a risk either.

The problem with powerflush is that is stresses the system

Plus most of the powerflush people around are people doing for a fast buck and dont actually do properly. For a standard person trying to pick the good from the bad is a nightmare.....

Like what are you supposed to pay per radiator for a power flush?

The problem with powerflush is that is stresses the system

Plus most of the powerflush people around are people doing for a fast buck and dont actually do properly. For a standard person trying to pick the good from the bad is a nightmare.....

Like what are you supposed to pay per radiator for a power flush?

I don’t know where you get your information from but a Powerflush does not stress the system. The max operating pressure would be maybe 2 bar. That’s standard operating pressure for any system and if a system couldn’t take 3 bar it shouldn’t be in operation tbh.
    As for price, every system is different. But for your average estate Housr with 8-10 radiators and a gas boiler you’ll be looking at around 400-500 Euro. That’s assuming the contractor is using good chemicals and and good machine, not cheap ones.

Just about to buy....

the 22mm is nearly half the price to the 28mm. If I use the product selector is says 28mm but I am just wondering would the 22mm do the job anyway? I might just need to clean it more often I would guess?

It will restrict your flow. You have a big house, you'll need it, particularly with the HP.

• Advertisement

Ebay atm 150 euro with postage.

Advertisement