Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MiSTer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Why would one need a multisystem?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

No need for one as such, but it's a neat little all-in-one when paired with a case for anyone who wants a consolized version, or who doesn't want to go down the ordering a various boards (IO, memory, USB etc). Still need the DE10 - thats the hard part. Nothing cheaper or anything like that but the neat, self-contained option it provides is a plus for some. Some prefer the stack, which is fair enough, but a decent low profile 3D printed case is nice as well. Then of course some might want to mount them in more traditional boxes.

Personally I picked up one when they first showed up as I was following the project and wanted to support it, but it doesn't massively differ from what my original arrangement does, but I do tend to use it more, with the straight scart output a welcome addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

A fully consolised Mister experience in my case anyway. The stack is cool, but given the choice, I'd prefer it all hidden away in a nice console-esque looking case. The Multisystem includes many/all of the required expansion boards too, rgb scart, ram (upgradable), usb, snac, etc. It's a very neat little project.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ah ok its neater and has all the connectors you need rather than cables sticking out in all directions.

Quite pricey for that alright. I presume customs want a piece of this pie as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

If shipped from the UK, I'd say they will indeed try

The only issue I can see with the multisystem is in the future if 256MB becomes a requirement for some future cores, you might be restricted to just 128MB. I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

The ram module is detachable and replaceable on the multisystem, so 256 is indeed doable.

I believe while 256MB module is doable, it isn't ideal due to bandwidth - some discussion here.

...but then will it ever be needed is the real question. Right now, none?

That's relative to non-Multisystem setups too however. I think I remember reading that some cores that can utilise 256 will need to disable analogue out in order to steal bandwidth?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

This just seems like a super slick setup to me. There's a nice aspect to the compact stack setup as well but this does seem very full featured. No idea of current prices anymore with the way everything is going but seems pretty good considering what you get?

I can't justify the purchase atm, and will wait until Porkshop express releases his IO board before committing to anything but will keep an eye on this. Watched a video of them where they had a composite out adaptor plugged in to the extra connector (the 'custard' something?) that seemed to work flawlessly with the current cores but can't see any mention of it on their site. Not sure if they jumped the gun there as I thought composite was causing problems for everybody/needing bespoke cores etc.? That's a big want for me, feel I'm doing Sonic a bit dirty with these clearly defined waterfalls, he's doing that stamping his foot and staring at me thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

All my mister stuff is in the market place if anyones interested, not really arsed with it, not as clean as I'd like it in the arcade machine and not going to get any use in my house, I may revisit when if they ever get a gui and easy shift(control) keys. All as new, only used for maximum 2 hours if even. For sale for cost or less if you take it all

Post edited by CathalDublin on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Stuck my broken DE10 up on ebay last night and I already have some lad in Mexico offering me 185 for it, insanity.

Not sure if I'm bothered posting it to Mexico though, if I remember correctly you dont get your funds released from Paypal until the item lands so it might be a bit of a wait!

Was it that USB port that broke off? Do you want it fixed or just rid?

Master of the Universe

The Last Bandit had a go but unfortunately the solder pads on the PCB itself are completely borked too. When the USB port came off it took the pads with it - I don't half break things it would seem!

So the current plan now is to sell it as a spares/repair on ebay for a couple of hundred eurons potentially and to order another one from Terasic.

Ah, would be a bodge to trace back the removed pads and jumper to the port so selling it as is about the best thing to do.

Unsure I'd sell to Mexico:) did you contact Terasic to see if they have repair options?

Master of the Universe

Yeah it's a bit of a mad one, I was reading a few threads where folks considered it, but you'd be talking about 70 euro to ship it to them in Taiwan, as well as the actual repair fees - and then import charges again.

Basically, to anyone with a DE10 - treat your micro USB port on it as if it's made of the most fragile, expensive material known to man!

When I do get another one, I think I'm going to scrap the USB bridge between the MiSTercade and the DE10 and go with a cable connecting the two ports instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

That's rotten luck! Agreed on that USB bridge. Even thinking about needing to unplug it stresses me out.

If this is either going in the 'drawer of doom' or you didn't want to ship it to Mexico, I'd have an auld go at it if you are interested

Master of the Universe

Inviere is going to give it an attempt next, sure we'll see how he gets on! :D

Master of the Universe

And we are back in business!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Any of you lovely gents have any tips to get the kick harness working?

I've a CPS1 kick harness wired up to buttons 5&6 for each player connected up to the CPS1 connector on the MiSTercade.

No joy as of yet. Thought there might be a dip switch to flick somewhere (I see there's a 'Chamma' switch to get all 12 buttons via the harness) but it's switched to the off position.

Anything I might be missing?

Don’t break this one, I’ve no more to sell ye

@o1s1n - Have you added the config files from tbe MiSTerCade GitHub? That’s the secret sauce for the device - curated input configs.

If you try to config inputs for a game manually, do presses of the kick buttons register?

Master of the Universe

I ran the Update All script which I thought had captured everything but maybe not. Will take another look at Guthub, thanks!

Had weird results last night after some configuring.

Managed to get button 6 to work through the kick harness for both players, but it's registering as a duplicate of button 1!

Can't remap it manually to anything but that button.

Couldn't get any luck with button 5 for either player.

Unless it has changed recently, update_all doesn't include the MisterCade config stuff.

Is everything hooked up okay on the control panel? Buttons 4, 5 and 6 should all work via the kick harness, unless the Chamma jumper is enabled.

Master of the Universe

I've button 4 coming from the Jamma edge in the usual Neo Geo jamma wiring which is actually working fine.

I wonder is it causing some complications though, will reroute it through the kick harness with the others and see what happens!

Master of the Universe

Thanks a million for pointing me in the right direction on this one, that worked perfectly.

Threw all those config files on, redid the wiring for all my buttons and now have two players with six buttons each.

Also wired up my coin return button to insert credit and got some of the remaining cores I was having difficulty with working - all came together beautifully!

Master of the Universe

Time to actually play some fighting games. Haven't had any Capcom fighters running since I had my Sega Aero about 6-7 years ago!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Bloody hell lads, this thing is brilliant. The fact that the list of games is somewhat smaller is giving me 'curated MAME list' vibes. Also quite exciting waiting for Jotego to release some more bits.

Rather than endlessly scrolling for something, I'm actually spending a lot of time with specific games.

Spent a good hour with SF2: CE last night. Brilliant fun.

I'm going to have to play around with the shortcuts a bit more. The menu comes up if you press button 1 and 6 at the same time at the moment, which isn't ideal for fighting games. There's also some shortcut to turn on autofire that works with a similar combo that I keep accidentally knocking on when doing SF2 combos.

Advertisement