Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Toy Show 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Crap toy show. The greatest showman tell flat on its face. Toys were rubbish. Tubs never actually talks to the kids just messes with the slime,clay,water,sweets etc etc all in the name of banter /laughs....just talk to them about the toys...they'll come out with the funniest stuff!
    The set up with the audience at the sides was all wrong. No christmas songs, decorations, trees..no christmas atmosphere.
    Im all for loving the toy show but last night was flat and boring. No doubt RTE will pass it off as a great success and best toy show EVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Turbfarty was annoying.

Isn't he always? You have to admire his consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

Please god no not Marty

I beg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

I liked the show tonight. The greatest showman/circus theme. I was popping in and out of the sitting room but I liked what I saw of it anyways. So many highlights for me:
    The opening with Ryan singing
    The 15 year old girl wearing a lovely white dress and singing. She was super.
    The trade band with the dancing. Some lad came out with long legs dancing, it was dark and I thought it was Ryan dancing. I would love to see Ryan dancing.
    The lovely girl and cousin in the end, there wasn't a dry eye in the house after that.
    The end - this is me.

I had a full house tonight. Ryan came to the bookcorner with the three children. One of the girls pointed to the young lad at the end of the couch saying 'I think hes blind'. 'He can't be, he's in the book corner reviewing a book for the show', says I. Ryan eventually moved onto him and his book was in Braille. 😳

Hi Ryan - thanks for sharing your opinion of the show last night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Just watched it, I'd say the set cost a fortune & was really only used to full effect for opening & closing sets. Audience arrangement was odd & didn't really work. Looked like a game show of sorts & was distracting as a background. Really lacked big names, like someone said if u weren't a hurling or rugby fan no heroes for u! Toys were junk & Billy Barry type kids over represented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Poochie05

The Toy Show Thread - 994 posts so far.

The anti-Toy Show thread - 43 posts so far.

:p:p:D

And most of those 43 are about the Toy Show!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

sadie9 wrote: »
    They really used that child who donated his bone marrow to his cousin to its maximum effect.
    It's not like he had a choice to do it really. Then bringing the family in as a 'surprise'. Just so Ryan gets to have the warm fuzzy feeling of announcing they are going to Disneyland Florida.
    What about the strength and courage of the little girl who underwent all that treatment for her leukemia? She only got a ruddy owl. She didn't get to meet Elsa from Frozen or anything! She was completely ignored.
    Seems you have to be a boy to get to meet your Hero, and you have to be a sports fan because we don't have any other heroes other than those.

I think the Toy Show really needs a female co- presenter. Even Marty and Sinead from Winning Streak would be more colorful and alive than Ryan. Can it not just be the RTE Toy Show?

Its bad enough as it is last thing it needs is a token woman in there just because the likes of you starts screaming.

Saying that its rte im sure it wont be long before they have a feminist freak show section teaching kids about the dangers of men.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,422 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It needs to go back to its roots.

Scrap the overarching theme.

The main theme should be an Irish Christmas not this candy cane fake American rubbish.

More traditional Christmas hymns and carols.

Less stage school dance numbers. Ppl are bored by them.

More toys and kids being given time and space to talk and review.

Less of a spotlight on tubridy in general.

It can be a lot better than what we saw last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I’m not a he....

And honestly never heard of it! Why would I lie just to be edgy? Lol

I had never heard of the Greatest show either.

It seems it edgy now to use the word edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I had never heard of the Greatest show either.

It seems it edgy now to use the word edgy.

Ooh you just took edginess to a whole new level.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,870 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

sadie9 wrote: »
    they are going to Disneyland Florida.
    What about the strength and courage of the little girl who underwent all that treatment for her leukemia? She only got a ruddy owl. She didn't get to meet Elsa from Frozen or anything! She was completely ignored.

Eh?! She's going to Disneyland Florida! Where it's safe to assume they'll be given the VIP treatment, and probably meet/have tea with the Disney Princess!

People love to give out!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

It needs to go back to its roots.

Scrap the overarching theme.

The main theme should be an Irish Christmas not this candy cane fake American rubbish.

More traditional Christmas hymns and carols.

Less stage school dance numbers. Ppl are bored by them.

More toys and kids being given time and space to talk and review.

Less of a spotlight on tubridy in general

It can be a lot better than what we saw last night.

I wasn't watching but I agree, in particular with the comment about Tubridy.

Let the kids have the stage. I used to enjoy it years ago, earnest kids showing the toys, and talking about them, showing how they worked, and talking about the books and so on.

Tubridy seems to centre it completely on himself. We are meant to think it somehow endearing that a man of forty five claims to have never grown up. It isn't.

The tv licence renewal just arrived, so I may be extra pained right now at the thought of the bullsh1t the likes of himself and Ray Darcy get away with. Can't watch either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

I was a little disapointed in the toys. Seemed a million miles away from Pat Kenny having uber expensive toys like life size humanoid Japanese robobots controlled by AI..

The PC crowd at RTE might only have wanted toys under €50. That's like Top Gear refusing to feature Ferrari's so they don't upset Ford Focus drivers.

There's great fantasy in the unobtainable.

Tubs......god love him he's a trier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

strongback wrote: »
    I was a little disapointed in the toys. Seemed a million miles away from Pat Kenny having uber expensive toys like life size humanoid Japanese robobots controlled by AI..

The PC crowd at RTE might only have wanted toys under €50. That's like Top Gear refusing to feature Ferrari's so they don't upset Ford Focus drivers.

There's great fantasy in the unobtainable.

Tubs......god love him he's a trier.

He is certainly trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

My reflection in the night.

There were plenty of memorable moments and I enjoyed the show overall. My kids loved the fact that it was themes on the greatest showman.

However the audience setup really didn't work, dreadful. Also, the audience themselves were very subdued and boring. It was as if they plucked a load of random people from the street and gave them all a mild sedative before during then down...

Audience and set aside I enjoyed the show but there needs to be more time spent on toys and less time on Billy Barry stage school types.

• Administrators Posts: 13,870 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The thing about more toys and less kids would mean less kids get the experience of being part of it. The one thing I will give them credit for is there must have been close to 100 kids given the opportunity of a lifetime to be on the Toy Show last night. And it wasn't just last night. It would have been the auditions, it would have been rehearsals, it would have been a trip to RTÉ, the excitement of being backstage. I know a child who was on it a few years ago, literally scooted on and scooted off. Probably 5 seconds screen time, but they were high as a kite from the adrenaline of just being there and the fun and craic of the whole experience. It's meant to be for kids and from a child's point of view, they love it.

The showman theme was appropriate for Ryan himself, - that's exactly how he comes across on the show.

He needs to be like Gay used to be, - low key and almost invisible, just steering the the proceedings so that the toys and the children are the stars of the show.

The only thing that Gay did that brought attention on himself was wearing the Christmas jumper. Other than that it was all about the toys and the children, no frenzied over-acting or playing to the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Waaaaaaa, Waaaaaaaaa.....

Enough of this whining, peace out...

(General consensus not you OP)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

inthehat wrote: »
    The showman theme was appropriate for Ryan himself, - that's exactly how he comes across on the show.

He needs to be like Gay used to be, - low key and almost invisible, just steering the the proceedings so that the toys and the children are the stars of the show.

The only thing that Gay did that brought attention on himself was wearing the Christmas jumper. Other than that it was all about the toys and the children, no frenzied over-acting or playing to the audience.

Gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Difference between toy shows of yesteryear and last night seems to me to be that the show used to actually reflect what were the popular toys of the given year, what the kids wanted. Increasingly it's more about what Tubridy or RTE or whoever else thinks would be good for the kids. I think they've lost touch a bit with anyone over 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Yes, it's become a vehicle for Tubs substantial ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,350 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

_gif__collapsed_tent_vol_5_by_trc001-daweyfy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,418 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Icsics wrote: »
    Yes, it's become a vehicle for Tubs substantial ego.

The difference was Gay Byrne was terrified of making an eejit of himself, Tubs has developed it into an art-form.
    Which is why he is suited to the Toy Show - it is the pinnacle of the LLS for him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

As for watching the toy show people should watch it the way I did.

Don't watch it live. Don't record it. Don't watch it on the player afterwards.

Just watch the youtube toy show highlights clips the day after.

Then the best bit:
    retrospectively going through the comments on this yearly boards thread and try guess which bits the posters are referring to. (Which is whinging mostly, with the occasional, maternal mother praising it while simultaneously admonishing said whingers)

I managed 30 pages of this thread then the comments got repetitive so I jumped ship to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Guffy

I managed 30 pages of this thread then the comments got repetitive so I jumped ship to the end.

You need to change the number of posts you have per page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

It's very simple. Ryan is not good with the kids. In fact he is mostly rude to them. They need to find someone else to host or co-host.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I wonder was the lack of a Christmas theme due to RTE attempting to be modern and secular, for fear of offending one group or another? Surely not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It's very simple. Ryan is not good with the kids. In fact he is mostly rude to them. They need to find someone else to host or co-host.

I disagree. One of Ryan's noticeable human qualities is that he is very good with kids, I can't fathom why people would think otherwise?

He knows how to tow the line between having a laugh with them or just keeping them at ease.
    He doesn't patronise them like hosts like Ray Darcy or Pat Kenny would and puts himself into clown like mode with them because most kids get great humour out of that behaviour.

I am not great fan of his (although I don't think he is half as bad a host as people on Boards make him out to be!) but I do think he really enjoys the show

Burkatron wrote: »
    Well, I potentially feel like a bollox now

Don't worry I thought something similar at first. When I saw the you tube clip for the first time, did not watch the show live.
    I thought it was a rock star kid like Bono or kid who had a rough night.
    Then the head movements gave his blindness away.
    What did make me laugh was Davy Fitz says to the young lad 'nice to see you'.
    The panicked young fella says 'nice to see you too....'

But after that the young lad gave as good as he got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,891 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wonder was the lack of a Christmas theme due to RTE attempting to be modern and secular, for fear of offending one group or another? Surely not?

Yes it was, utter PC trash, they forget the hand that feeds it.

Advertisement