Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,833 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wow, that T'Lyn was out of control!

Will be interesting to see how she gets on with the Cerritos since I'm assuming that's where she's been assigned to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,091 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A lot more ambitious and creative in it's story telling and setup this week, with the comedic premise of the three parallel ships tales taking a sudden turn back into the neglected series long story arc.

Thought it does seem to raise the possibility that the series antagonist is already dead, and the series could end with the Cerritos crew never even knowing there was such an antagonist, let alone his fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2.9: That was great! How do I know? Because like.. every 20 seconds or so, I was like "This is my favourite part of this episode!"

IT JUST!

It just kept getting better! The whole episode was just like a wave of fun.

The episode also had a plot and kept the main story going!

The Klingon Bangs line really set me off

The Vulcan losing control!

The Borg!

Big nod for including a uniform I can only remember being worn by

Wesley (black and grey)

Remember kids! You can't join Starfleet Security unless you know that

Fighting Fascism is a full-time job!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,633 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That's was another excellent episode. Amazing how they fitted so much into it and developed not only the story but the charathers too.

The Borg Lower Decks lol. Great way to keep you attention as it goes over do lol.

The Paklead Lower Decks was hilarious too.

The cerritos took quiet a pounding. Was lucky the Vulcan ship turned up but I could not believe how week the Vulcan shields were compared to the Cerritos.

I was thinking your one would fit in good on the Cerritos alright. Look forward to seeing her there.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

When was the Borg bit. How did I miss that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,633 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Finally saw the ending. Great episode again this week and possibly the best idea for an episode the show has had.

Also the Vulcan science officer is very Kim Cattrall looking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

That was pretty good.

I always thought it was weird that the Vulcans still have their own fleet and can also have their own Starfleet ships.

The bright pink blood is back.

Are they setting up to write Brad out ou the series? Dropping all the hints of how competent and respected he is and now transferring a new lower decker in. Replacing some of the cast every so often, Mariner aside, wouldn't be a bad thing only Harry Kim can be a perpetual ensign.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What a great episode. The writers really do get Trek.

Absolute delight.

Really excited for next week.

The end credits was hilarious. Actually looks kinda relaxing!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hands up, who wants a 'Ritos shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

So presumably the Vulcan will be joining the Cerritos.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

Wow what an episode. Last week's was great but this week even topped that. Even the music score was epic.

I just realised next week is the last episode, possibly no more good Star Trek for almost a year after that. It's still amazing how the animated comedy series manages to get the season long serialised story arcs told through largely self contained episodes right and the live action, so far, can't.

Sad thing is Discovery is at its best when it tries it out. The Mudd episode and the weird church one are my favourites. One is stand alone and one could easily be

I think it'll really hurt STD and PIC in the long run too, you can't just throw on an episode, the two you mentioned aside, if you have some time to kill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And the fact Discovery even did those kind of episodes was maddening; to know the production team had that speed in their wheelhouse, has made all the chaff and nonsense all the tougher to swallow. And don't even get me started on the wasted premise that was season 3- something that openly hinted at more Story of the Week ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Loved it. Great pacing, surprised how much they fit in 22 mins. Good mix of character development, funny moments, some standalone plot, service to the overall story arc that felt natural and not at the expense of the characters and their stories.

Was thinking through that episode that the Vulcan Lower decks character would make a great addition to the regular cast and looks like it's going that way. Can the Cerritos handle another emotionally unstable loose cannon alongside Mariner though?

Also confirms a theory I had about the reason for not seeing more Vulcans/Andorians/Tellorites etc. on Starfleet vessels is the species largely stick to their own ships because they can't handle the smell or it's easier to have environmental controls set for one species etc.

Edit: Sorry guys, can't seem to find the spoiler tags in the new Boards interface :(

Post edited by Stark on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

@Stark there's a banner at the top of every page, pointing at a guide about spoiler tagging etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Rawr

I am now, more than ever before, certain that they are taking the piss out of Discovery. I would certainly love a 'Ritos' shirt and would wear it proudly. Not just for the fun of it but also because if feels like a very nuanced and snide slagging off of Discovery's "Disco" nonsense. "Ritos" sounds about as ridiculous, but the context here makes it funny and delightful.

Since I did actually watch through the credits this time I did notice something that ultimately might be nothing: Kurtzman's "Secret Hideout" logo barely gets any time in the outro logo sequence. In fact they seem to cut it off early while giving Titmouse and CBS Studios a full roll. It could simply be a time-saving trick, but it just feeds into my theory that Kurtzman (and Secret Hideout by extension) are only involved with this show on paper. The others logos really did seem to have a lot more prominence, although that could also be my own biases at play.

Post edited by Rawr on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

2.9 and 2.8 are probably the episodes I have enjoyed most of all this season (and maybe even the whole series with the exception of the series 1 finale) and I found it interesting to see how it doesn't have to be particularly "funny" to be really good.

I laughed our loud just once at this episode (the Borg lower decks, obvs).

Post edited by JayRoc on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

No there isn't, by the way. Maybe on desktop but I imagine most people don't use that

No, it's there for me both desktop and mobile (which I'm currently on) right now. IIRC apparently 2/3s of Boards users are mobile now.

Anyway, here's the link for the How To...

can't find delete button either, argghh

I found the guide but the instructions aren't working. Nothing pops up for me when I highlight/hover (on either desktop or mobile). Ah found it, had to drill down into special formats menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I started watching Lower Decks a few weeks ago, just to have something short to watch. I decided I'd give it 3 episodes before making my mind up. I very nearly gave up after the third one still wasn't great, but glad I kept going. The first one is terrible. Mariner is just so annoying. But then each episode got a little bit better than the previous, to the point where the last couple of season 1 were pretty good. Thankfully season 2 has continued the progression. I still don't find it laugh out loud funny, but it is humorous at times, and more importantly, actually has some interesting storylines.

• Advertisement

God damn that was a helluva episode. So good you'd almost swear the writers were showboating with the multiple arcs; look how easy we make this - the day I watch the season 4 trailer of Discovery - it's like chalk and cheese. Not one, not two, but THREE separate character arcs that just worked like *chefs kiss*

Oh and special mention for one aspect: the Vulcans weren't àssholes. Like, they were rigid and uncreative, the comedy mined from the captain's reaction to so called "impulsiveness". But they weren't written with the kind of petty díckishness bad Trek writing has often indulged in. That's commendable in of itself.

Advertisement