Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air BnB [and other platforms] to be effectively outlawed in high demand areas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Graham wrote: »
    Residential property returns to the residential market.

Simples. :pac:

Who will be able to afford these rental properties? They will be up on Daft for top dollar, there will be no restriction on the rent that can be charged for them. It’s not going to help the soon to be homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Hundreds of properties added back to the residential market in some of the most in-demand parts of the country.

For top dollar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Who will be able to afford these rental properties? They will be up on Daft for top dollar, there will be no restriction on the rent that can be charged for them. It’s not going to help the soon to be homeless.

Nobody suggested this was a solution to homelessness.
    KevinCavan wrote: »
    For top dollar.

People will rent the properties, or they won't. If they don't, the rents will drop or the property will be sold (generally).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Personally I think people will just get sick of having mini hotel next door. The sector needs to be regulated because people who live in residential area should not have to be part of some holiday village. It won't solve rental crisis but it might lessen the annoyance of people who did not buy a house to live next door to an unregulated holiday let.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I honestly don't know how any landlord can air bnb their property. I would always prefer to have a trustworthy tenant over an unknown person/people possibly ruining the gaffe and with the market the way it is, work/previous tenancy references are very easy to provide. Maybe I'm just too protective.

Why?

• You can earn double, maybe triple what you earn from a tenancy.
    • No cap on amount you can charge.
    • No tenancy exists, no need to worry about dodgy tenants/non payment of remt/eviction
    • No HAP.
    • No requirements to have property to meet the standards like HAP.
    • You decide when your property is let and when it isn’t.
    • You can charge a cleaning fee and pay someone to clean your property.
    • you get to see your property every week, not a year later when it’s wrecked.

Etc

• Advertisement

Maybe you're right, perhaps thousands of landlords will suddenly go rogue.

We'll agree to differ and watch the outcome with interest.

It’s not going rogue, it’s just choosing to carry on as before. The owner isn’t waking up one morning and doing something different, they are just keeping on doing what they are doing. A few will be made an example of, but not many, same as every other time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Dav010 wrote: »
    Maybe you're right, perhaps thousands of landlords will suddenly go rogue.

We'll agree to differ and watch the outcome with interest.

It’s not going rogue, it’s just choosing to carry on as before. The owner isn’t waking up one morning and doing something different, they are just keeping on doing what they are doing. A few will be made an example of, but not many, same as every other time.

When they wake up and it's illegal and they can't advertise on Airbnb anymore then it's going rogue.

GingerLily wrote: »
    When they wake up and it's illegal and they can't advertise on Airbnb anymore then it's going rogue.

Why wouldn’t you be able to advertise on Airbnb?
    Why wouldn’t you use another platform?

Why wouldn’t you be able to advertise on Airbnb?

My guess, the booking platforms (and let's face it there's only one that's significant) will seek evidence of your exemption registration or STL planning permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

meeeeh wrote: »
    Personally I think people will just get sick of having mini hotel next door. The sector needs to be regulated because people who live in residential area should not have to be part of some holiday village. It won't solve rental crisis but it might lessen the annoyance of people who did not buy a house to live next door to an unregulated holiday let.

Very true. For that alone is worth controlling.

But it's been evangelised as a solution at least partially for the housing crisis. Has controlling it fixed a housing crisis anywhere globally? No? Has rent still increased and shortages still remain?

Has anywhere got serious supply of new housing built that is anything close to meeting the demand? I'd like to hear about those examples. In Ireland I think we built less than last year

The Nama report talked about all the housing it had delivered.

• Advertisement

My guess, the booking platforms (and let's face it there's only one that's significant) will seek evidence of your exemption registration or STL planning permission.

I haven’t read that they require that in any other city where regulations like this apply. I did read that there was no significant drop in number of listings in US & Canadian cities where they were introduced. I can’t see any platform requiring that if they are not legally compelled to do so, and as that article you read states, it isn’t illegal to advertise online.

I suppose the proof will come in the form of drop off in properties advertised, but there are other sites like booking.com where guests can pay cash so that will be more difficult to regulate. Also, apparently Facebook is gaining in popularity as an advertising platform for STLs.

beauf wrote: »
    But it's been evangelised as a solution at least partially for the housing crisis.

By who?

I don't think of come across any (credible) opinions that's suggested it's a solution for the housing crisis, homelessness or global warming.

It's usually presented as a strawman in support of doing nothing.

"it's not going to fix the housing crisis so the regulations shouldn't change"

I haven’t read that they require that in any other city where regulations like this apply.

There's no central listing of such cities but a quick search turns up New Orleans, Pasedena, Berlin, Greece at which point I stopped looking.

It looks like AirBnB are happy to cooperate with such requirements in any locales where it's a legal requirement. As you'd expect.

By who?

I don't think of come across any (credible) opinions that's suggested it's a solution for the housing crisis, homelessness or global warming.

It's usually presented as a strawman in support of doing nothing.

"it's not going to fix the housing crisis so the regulations shouldn't change"

Its all over the place.

Its in the first post that started this thread...
    Kidkinobe wrote: »
    ...Govt are saying rental prices are high because of landlords preferring the Airbnb system.....
    Activists occupy Airbnb office in Dublin to protest against housing crisis

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1013/1002967-airbnb-protest/
    Imagine if those houses were returned to the housing market? The housing situation (almost) sorted in one fell swoop.

And don’t be worrying about the poor hoteliers. Once the homeless vacate their rooms, they’ll have plenty of space for the AirBnB clients.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108777328&postcount=83

You have a point about the credibility though...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I honestly don't know how any landlord can air bnb their property. I would always prefer to have a trustworthy tenant over an unknown person/people possibly ruining the gaffe and with the market the way it is, work/previous tenancy references are very easy to provide. Maybe I'm just too protective.

1500 a month or 150 a night.

Eliminates risk if non paying tenant
    Makes sure you get the property when you want it, none of this 6 years tenancy after 6 months

No rent caps.

AirBnB provide insurance against tenants who wreck the place

Not having to deal with the. PRTB

I can’t think of any negatives

people who live in residential area should not have to be part of some holiday village.

Similarly people who buy residential houses don’t want Social houses in the development.

But it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

There was an article about this in the Times before Christmas. The fact that a property owner has a listing on Airbnb will not meet the burden of proof for prosecution as it is not proof that the guest actually stayed there, and the multitude of platforms available means that monitoring via online info alone is a non runner. For a prosecution, inspectors will actually have to prove a guest stayed in the same way a tv inspector has to prove you don’t have a license by calling to your door.

So, on the one hand we have a dedicated RTB, specific legislation to limit rents, yet rents increased 14% last year. There is no organisation of manpower to monitor AIRBNB rentals, the councils don’t have the staff, the courts are clogged up and the Government thinks this is going to make a difference?

I think most Airbnb hosts will advertise for 90 days on Airbnb and the rest on other platforms. I also suspect, like LLs and rents, most hosts will continue as they are at the moment and play the odds against being one of the few who actually gets found out.

Would the not get caught out through revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Because you've no way of knowing whether someone is really trustworthy or not, and once they're in it's a very long and expensive road getting them out again while you're getting absolutely no rent.

References aren't worth the paper they're written on. A previous LL isn't going to give a bad reference if they want rid and a work reference is completely useless.

ted1 wrote: »
    I can’t think of any negatives

More wear and tear, some very difficult people, some absolute thickies that can't follow simple instructions to where the keys are. That said it's nothing in comparison to the stress of a deadbeat long term tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

3DataModem wrote: »
    This is a great point, and doesn't bode well for the Airbnb enforcement.

While there isn’t many resources. Once there is an inspection and it’s found, the couple or person is screwed.

As with anything like this. Your accepting the risk. Someone will get caught and made an example off. No doubt about it

• Advertisement

Similarly people who buy residential houses don’t want Social houses in the development.

But it happens
    And sometimes you don't like the neighbours just because they are annoying. However you deal with same people not different crew every week and an owner who just shows up to collect some money and has no interest or control over what is going on.

If someone wants to be in hospitality business then they should be regulated like hospitality business not some cowboy operation. Same as Uber is getting more and more regulated same should happen to Air Bnb.

Mod Note

Threads Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Nermal

If someone wants to be in hospitality business then they should be regulated like hospitality business not some cowboy operation. Same as Uber is getting more and more regulated same should happen to Air Bnb.

Regulation removes choice. If you like hotels, stay there. If you like taxis, take them. I will continue staying in AirBNBs and taking Ubers.

Also, is there any actual evidence - other than anecdotal - of this wave of antisocial AirBNB guests? No host wants inconsiderate, messy, noisy guests. The feedback and ratings on the platform are set up to prevent them.

Nermal wrote: »
    Regulation removes choice. If you like hotels, stay there. If you like taxis, take them. I will continue staying in AirBNBs and taking Ubers.

Also, is there any actual evidence - other than anecdotal - of this wave of antisocial AirBNB guests? No host wants inconsiderate, messy, noisy guests. The feedback and ratings on the platform are set up to prevent them.

If people have complained the local authorities you've imagine the authority be able to produce stats to demonstrate this.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭Kidkinobe

Similar thing happened a friend of mine, except 100 people showed up at his small 2 bed house, they were aged between 14 and 18. A 14 year old managed to open an Airbnb acc and book the place about a month in advance. The cops were called to the property at 8.30 in the evening by a neighbour of the Airbnb and kids were seeing scattering over hedges and fences to get away, hundreds of dollars of alcohol was abandoned by the same kids. This happened in Dunedin, New Zealand.

There are plenty of stories of long terms tenants causing damage, at least with AirBnB they are likely to be gone rather than overholding.

Residential property returns to the residential market.

Simples. :pac:

It will be out of the reach of the people who think it will fall back to them.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/divided-market-fewer-houses-within-reach-of-working-families-as-sales-of-1mplus-properties-on-the-rise-37682212.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvK6ihMzJbE

These things may seem all disconnected, but they are not.

More wear and tear, some very difficult people, some absolute thickies that can't follow simple instructions to where the keys are. That said it's nothing in comparison to the stress of a deadbeat long term tenant.

I’d say less wear and tear. Realistically few guests will use the cooking facilities. You probably won’t have the occupancy you do have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I’d say less wear and tear. Realistically few guests will use the cooking facilities. You probably won’t have the occupancy you do have.

I would expect more wear and tear with people coming in and out every couple of days:
    1) moving things in an out of the apartment all time will cause minor damage overtime (which ads up if it is everyday)
    2) realistically, on average people won't be as careful in holiday renting as they are at home
    3) they will be as minority but while the fact of changing tenant all the time makes it easier to get rid if crap people who don't care, it also pretty much guarantees that you will get some of those for a few days once in a while

Advertisement