Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madeleine McCann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,920 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    A good argument for 'what happens on Facebook, should stay on Facebook'.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If anyone of that conspiracy theory nonsense hits this thread I will dropkicking the culprits into orbit :D

Something Else
    I’m interested in seeing this documentary.
    Just hope it doesn’t solely focus on abduction and act like nothing else could possibly have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Despite this being such a huge case, I haven't really followed it. I remember it happening, and the search that extended pretty much across the whole of mainland Europe. But by no means have I been digging into the case. So I'm looking forward to the doc-series, tomorrow.

What I'd like is a comprehensive analysis of all theories. The parents seem to be the main suspects for most people, with all sorts of crazy conspiracies around them. But a professionally made doc has to do a lot better than that and look into all possibilities, without cherrypicking the evidence to suit themsleves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Judging by the trailer it doesn't seem they'll shy away from any suspicion on the McCanns

Looking forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Think I'm going to have to come offline for a few days, I've been following a thread about the documentary in a FB group I'm in and some of the "theories" thrown around would make your head wobble.

Two particularly colourful suggestions were that Kate & Gerry sold Madeleine to be used as human bait in dog fights, or that the parents used donated eggs to conceive her with the IVF and that Madeleines "real parents" tracked her down and snatched her back.
    And apparently Kate & Gerry know this but can't tell the police as they'd have to admit to using donated sperm and eggs.

Another was that the Tapas 9 were satan worshippers and offered up Madeleine as sacrifice to the devil. The proof of this is that one of the Tapas 9 apparently did an astrology course and has a keen interest in horoscopes.

Its going to be a long few days.

Deluded
    As you know Susie I have my own thoughts on the matter but not as outlandish as those

I see it's a series???
    How many episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The most outrageous theory I ever heard was that a dog was killed, gutted, and Madeleines body was stitched up inside it and the dog was then transported to a volcano and through it in. This, as I remember, explained how the McCanns managed to move the body under the gaze of the worlds press.
    .... because none of the press would have noticed Gerry putting a dead dog stuffed with a 4 year old into the boot, obviously.
    2 of the great questions of our time. What date exactly of a pregnancy does and unborn baby become a person, and how did the McCanns dispose of Madeleine.
    Answers on a postcard and so on and so forth ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I wouldn't have the most confidence in this documentary apart it from throwing around some outlandish theories and unfounded accusations.

Reading today in the papers that the makers believe she is still alive, well, ridiculous.

The saddest thing is the commercial profit the likes of Netflix will make off a story as sad as this.

splinter65 wrote: »
    The most outrageous theory I ever heard was that a dog was killed, gutted, and Madeleines body was stitched up inside it and the dog was then transported to a volcano and through it in. This, as I remember, explained how the McCanns managed to move the body under the gaze of the worlds press.
    .... because none of the press would have noticed Gerry putting a dead dog stuffed with a 4 year old into the boot, obviously.
    2 of the great questions of our time. What date exactly of a pregnancy does and unborn baby become a person, and how did the McCanns dispose of Madeleine.
    Answers on a postcard and so on and so forth ....

Madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Available now.

Wouldn't be aware of too much detail in this case so looking forward to it.
    8 episodes.
    Going to start a binge on it tonight with a few glasses of red.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Available now.

Wouldn't be aware of too much detail in this case so looking forward to it.
    8 episodes.
    Going to start a binge on it tonight with a few glasses of red.

I’m not a virtue signaler in fact I can’t stand that nonsense. But when your enjoying the drama and the speculation it would be good if you’d bear in mind that she was a real child and her parents and siblings and close family are real and have suffered unimaginably.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

splinter65 wrote: »
    siblings and close family are real and have suffered unimaginably.

I often wonder what the twins think, they are an age where they are likely able to get online or be talking with friends about it. There lives have been so affected by the 'ghost' of Maddie, can't imagine it. Poor dotes :(

Is this likely to air on "mainstream" channels at a later date anyone know?

pc7 wrote: »
    I often wonder what the twins think, they are an age where they are likely able to get online or be talking with friends about it. There lives have been so affected by the 'ghost' of Maddie, can't imagine it. Poor dotes :(

Agree 100% .For all the speculation,media coverage,books etc lets not forget those two poor mites :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

10 minutes in and it's giving background on the holiday, a few bits of footage from them leaving to go on holiday, the layout of the resort and the lead up to that evening.

pc7 wrote: »

It must be all the worse knowing you there, in the room when it happened, but with absolutely no memory of it at all and no chance to recover those memories. Even if they did wake up, and I'm under the impression they were asleep still when Kate checked on them. It's just awful. The poor children. Despite the enormity of what happened, I hope they're able to lead perfectly ordinary lives.

It must be all the worse knowing you there, in the room when it happened, but with absolutely no memory of it at all and no chance to recover those memories. Even if they did wake up, and I'm under the impression they were asleep still when Kate checked on them. It's just awful. The poor children. Despite the enormity of what happened, I hope they're able to lead perfectly ordinary lives.

I’d imagine that they’ll have had to have had professional counseling at this stage to help them prepare for the tsunami of crap they’re going to find online if they haven’t already found it.
    I’m not sure reassuring chats with mum and dad would be enough.
    Imagine being a young teenager and reading all that lurid disgusting sensational speculation about your parents regarding this disappearance of your sister, the search for her, the trolling... I remember seeing photoshopped pics of G McCann and Madeleine depicting him sexually abusing her. When the photoshopper was challenged he/she protested that the pics were “satirical”! They were removed eventually but there were others.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    10 minutes in and it's giving background on the holiday, a few bits of footage from them leaving to go on holiday, the layout of the resort and the lead up to that evening.

The first episode is about the resort, the McCanns and the timeline of the disappearance. Not really giving anything away but I'll spoiler for those who don't want to know anything
    There are also some reporters who covered the case from the beginning interviewed and they retrace some steps they took.
    Also some background on the different police forces and how they operate.
    Not a bad watch so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It can't be easy for young teens to live with the whole sad saga . They must also struggle with knowing their parents left all three young children in a vulnerable position . It won't be easy for them not to question the decisions made by adults .
    Although I would presume it will be explained as being something everyone did back then . Which in actual fact most parents wouldn't even think about leaving toddlers alone in an unlocked apartment .

• Advertisement

On episode 2. Absolute disgrace the way those two journalists tried to implicate Murat in the disappearance and then tried to take credit and justify their actions when he was arrested.

Absolute hacks the pair of them

The documentary series is a pretty good watch, so far. I feel like I know a bit more. Unfortunate prevelance of Kelvin McKenzie who, of course, has never told a lie in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surprised the parents refused to get involved. I'd be thinking if they've nothing to hide they'd be doing everything possible to try solve the case.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Surprised the parents refused to get involved. I'd be thinking if they've nothing to hide they'd be doing everything possible to try solve the case.

When the narrative of the documentary is one that frequently tries to implicate them, why would they? Why would anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Episode 1
    I never heard of murat being followed before.

Interesting watch so far

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

When the narrative of the documentary is one that frequently tries to implicate them, why would they? Why would anyone?

Sounds like even more reason to be involved.

If you were innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

limnam wrote: »
    Sounds like even more reason to be involved.

If you were innocent.

The could even have brought some of their friends along...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Something Else
    Jesus that netflix doc is boring as hell, just watched 1st episode and I think I'll leave it at that, its awfull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

The fu**king sniffer dogs.
    I’m 5 in and it’s very interesting.

• Advertisement

Just finished it last night & can’t say I was overly impressed with it. Goes over a lot of the same ground already so I guess for anyone who hasn’t followed the case, it will be interesting.

Some things that stand out though,
    - the disgraceful reporting from the media & accusations they threw around. Especially those journos who tried to implicate Murat, should be sacked at least
    - the harassment that Brian Kennedy’s son & the so called PI inflicted upon Murat & the website designer. They should be prosecuted for this imo
    - the Restaurant staff writing that the tapas 7 would be in the restaurant all week on the actual front of the book or sheet for everyone to see
    - the individual who became fixated on a girl of a very similar look & age to Madeleine in the weeks before the abduction who then tried to take her quite brazenly
    - the other 9 similar sexual assaults/attempted kidnapping of kids in the vicinity of prai de luiz in the weeks before Madeleines disappearance, a lot of them quite brazen
    - the sighting from the daughter of the lady who resides in the above apartment to McCanns of a man moving stealthily around the entrance of the McCanns apartment the day before Madeleine was abducted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement