Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racing 92 v Ulster Match thread

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Grobler

Or poor coaching

Or poor leadership from the caller

Man, this Grobler guy gets the blame for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Grobler has a decent reach but all the way over to Paris?

That should say Best

• Administrators Posts: 54,105 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Some of Bests throws were spot on but either the jumper messed up or Racing genuinely defended it well.

Line out was not entirely down to Best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

awec wrote: »
    Some of Bests throws were spot on but either the jumper messed up or Racing genuinely defended it well.

Line out was not entirely down to Best

His throwing was a lot better this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

So even Zebo thinks he was a dick. Can we put this to bed now? :P

Extremely sincere and genuinely humble, you can't ask for anything more than that.
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    So even Zebo thinks he was a dick. Can we put this to bed now? :P

It's not like the point has been laboured more than it needed to. I think the nature of Zebo's response highlights just how clearly out of order the instance was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Just noticed Addison holding his arm in pain around 79min. Hopefully nothing serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Not remotely out of character for Zebo either.

He's a fraud, on every level.

A fraud?
    Munsters all time leading try scorer
    7 tries in 8 for Racing,

Christ he can ge a bit of a asshole but he's far from a fraud!
    One of the best try scorers to come out of this country

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just saw what Zebo did there and I was expecting much much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Clegg wrote: »
    Think some of you are overestimating what Zebo brought to the Ireland team. Decent player but nothing special and was quickly replaced by someone better.

Agree with this. He’s got a lot going for him, I think he’s a lovely second playmaker/passer which tends to go unnoticed, but not sure he is the incisive speedster cutting teams apart which seems to be how people saw/see him. It became lazy to use the term X-factor with his name in the same sentence. Would still love to have him as an option but it doesn’t appear that he has the head/mentality to be a top top player. Which is no slight on him, he plays with a smile on his face and is obviously enjoying himself playing alongside the likes of Teddy Thomas but he choose that ahead of winning a Grand Slam and going to the World Cup with a real chance of doing something special.

As an aside, was very impressed with Addison. First time watching him and he looks like a cracking player. Can see why Joe was keen to have him over. Just looks like a very balanced player with nice hands. He should be getting game time in the Italy/US games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I hear Zebo killed a guy.

Impetuous and a bit of a dope but not a hanging offence. We like our double standards for Irish players and wanted Armitage shot for something similar. It was a childish reflex and he apologised. Fair play to him for doing so but he shouldn't have put himself in a position where he needed to. Done and dusted now but I know it will live long in many Irish supporters memories.

Much more pertinent would be his involvements or lack thereof for both of Ulster's tries where he demonstrated where he has always come up short.

I recorded the game and just watched it now. Ulster did not deserve that scoreline. It's hard to put my finger on precisely why they lost by such a margin but I'd somewhat put it down to Racing simply being ruthless and Ulster being quite disjointed without an ability to scramble effectively defensively. If Racing got a sniff, they put points on the board.

If I was going through the Ulster team, I could only really point the finger at the wingers as guys who didn't do themselves justice. Gilroy was very poor. Aside from knock ons, his inability to release the ball at critical times is so costly. Stockdale looked to have dipped his hands in grease with a couple of sloppy and costly knock ons. Kernohan had one also when he arrived regardless of how unsympathetic the pass was.

In the positive bracket, Lowry, Shanahan (as a true scrum half he's actually very good, lovely pass and got to the rucks quickly but Cooney has a far better all round game), Coetzee and Addison were very good. Reidy was excellent when he came on. Murphy worked hard and did some good work but Ulster will want more again.

I thought the front five and Timoney were workmanlike but ineffective. The set piece was not good enough and they were all lacking in any impact around the field and, at this level, that's simply not enough. Henderson was decent but I expect more from someone of his quality. That's somewhere that Racing had a massive advantage. Their forwards can all carry and move the ball without blinking.

Overall, a terrible result but not a terrible performance from Ulster. They left at least 3 tries out there. Some poor handling cost them dealy. Addison is a classy player but his final pass and decision making at times was a little off; I think he's better employed coming into the line from 15 as someone said above. Definitely going to be an Irish international though.

Anyway, to move on from the irrelevant to the relevant, I thought Lowry was outstanding. This guy has a future.

Shanahan played very well too, his passing was crisp, didn't take the extra steps at a ruck that usually ends up in problems. Burns did well, McPhillips looked sharp when he came on. Treadwell made a few good tackles.

Big problems with the scrum and the lineout. We won't win anything until we can at least maintain parity in the scrum.

Anyway, to move on from the irrelevant to the relevant, I thought Lowry was outstanding. This guy has a future.

Shanahan played very well too, his passing was crisp, didn't take the extra steps at a ruck that usually ends up in problems. Burns did well, McPhillips looked sharp when he came on. Treadwell made a few good tackles.

Big problems with the scrum and the lineout. We won't win anything until we can at least maintain parity in the scrum.

Lowry does look a lovely player. Where do you reckon he’ll end up position wise? What did we make of Marty Moore?

• Advertisement

clsmooth wrote: »
    Lowry does look a lovely player. Where do you reckon he’ll end up position wise? What did we make of Marty Moore?
    Hard to know, he's only played 4 games. I think his size will dictate a lot, he's quite small. I think he'll get a lot of opportunities at 10, certainly sounds like he's Ulster's great hope in that position.

Moore did decent.

I sped through any breaks in play so didn't hear what happened to Burns. I assume he was injured? Based on last week and the first half tonight, he should be in the Irish squad and Ross Byrne could be a little nervous (although I think he's still ahead of him).

McPhillips was alright I felt but he's very predictable. The flat skip pass loses its impact if you do it on 50% of your possessions. He needs to learn to size things up a bit more. I think Ulster lost a significant amount of variety and awareness when Burns went off. His break/offload for the first try and double crossfield kick for the second were very good, really showed an awareness of what was playing out across the field.

Buer wrote: »
    I sped through any breaks in play so didn't hear what happened to Burns. I assume he was injured? Based on last week and the first half tonight, he should be in the Irish squad and Ross Byrne could be a little nervous (although I think he's still ahead of him).

McPhillips was alright I felt but he's very predictable. The flat skip pass loses its impact if you do it on 50% of your possessions. He needs to learn to size things up a bit more. I think Ulster lost a significant amount of variety and awareness when Burns went off. His break/offload for the first try and double crossfield kick for the second were very good, really showed an awareness of what was playing out across the field.
    I don't know what happened to Burns either tbh.

The second try of ours was a bit mad. Two cross field kicks in a row with no advantage, very rare you see that. Still surprised that Racing got caught out twice within 20 seconds by the same play.

Racing will make the final IMO, but through sheer brute force. A smart team that can match their pack will beat them (again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Heymans wrote: »
    Ulster have a handful of good new players in Lowry, Shanahan and Addisson
    Might be time to put Gilroy out to grass though - he's an outstanding stepper, but there are so many holes in his game that he never filled in :(

Anthracite wrote: »
    Might be time to put Gilroy out to grass though - he's an outstanding stepper, but there are so many holes in his game that he never filled in :(
    Gilroy is an excellent good Pro14 player, and adequate for Europe. His try scoring record speaks for itself.

He is not without flaws, but he is definitely important to Ulster. Had an off night tonight.

• Advertisement

I don't know what happened to Burns either tbh.

The second try of ours was a bit mad. Two cross field kicks in a row with no advantage, very rare you see that. Still surprised that Racing got caught out twice within 20 seconds by the same play.

Yeah, was a bit bizarre. I suppose it was on and just came off on both occasions. Gilroy nearly blew the first one. Thomas is a great player but, f*ck me, he was absolutely nowhere on the second kick; he was 15m too far infield. His full back wasn't much better on those two kicks.

Yeah, was a bit bizarre. I suppose it was on and just came off on both occasions. Gilroy nearly blew the first one. Thomas is a great player but, f*ck me, he was absolutely nowhere on the second kick; he was 15m too far infield. His full back wasn't much better on those two kicks.
    To be fair to Burns, he put the ball in the bread basket on both occasions. Gilroy should have popped it and it would have been a certain try, and he gave Stockdale an handy saunter over the whitewash.

And I don't want to sound like a broken record but I thought Nigel Owens had a very poor game tonight. The second Racing try, how he missed that knock on or judged it to be ok is just beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Was there knock-ons in this match?

And I don't want to sound like a broken record but I thought Nigel Owens had a very poor game tonight. The second Racing try, how he missed that knock on or judged it to be ok is just beyond belief.

I thought he was alright overall but that was the worst decision I saw today. His declaration that he was happy with it confirms he saw it and simply refused to consider he was wrong despite it being queried.

I'd also question his TMO. He needs to tell him that it requires a review. The ball clearly went forward on the deck. Forget about red or yellow cards, that was the most blatant error by an official today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ah we shouldn't be moving Gilroy on at all. We don't have that luxury. Although give it 12-18 months and we may have a new wing whizzkid on our hands.

Like Buer I'm trying to figure out how we lost by 30 points. I guess not having a set piece hurts!

The thing to remember is his first two starts have been against Leicester and Racing in Europe. This isn't a 20 year being slowly drip fed into the Ulster team. He has been thrown well and truly in at the deep end and he has done very well.

There is a YouTube highlights reel of him playing for Inst and Banbridge, if you haven't seen it yet, check it out.

I'd also wager he is a future Ulster captain in the making.

I thought he was alright overall but that was the worst decision I saw today. His declaration that he was happy with it confirms he saw it and simply refused to consider he was wrong despite it being queried.

I'd also question his TMO. He needs to tell him that it requires a review. The ball clearly went forward on the deck. Forget about red or yellow cards, that was the most blatant error by an official today.
    As I said earlier, Owens has form for this sometimes. At times he likes to show that he will make decisions without his TMO.

That made no sense at all though. The ball clearly went forward about half a metre, there is no question at all. How you can decide not to review it is just bizarre. The TMO should have been screaming in his ear.

As I said earlier, Owens has form for this sometimes. At times he likes to show that he will make decisions without his TMO.

That made no sense at all though. The ball clearly went forward about half a metre, there is no question at all. How you can decide not to review it is just bizarre. The TMO should have been screaming in his ear.
    Half a metre? That's 20 inches. Do you really believe that?

Yes. It wasn't even subtle, the ball rolled forward more than once.

And why are you converting to inches anyway? As if that makes it more unbelievable? I couldn't tell you what 20 inches is. Go metric or go home.

Yes. It wasn't even subtle, the ball rolled forward more than once.
    I saw it at the time, but never thought it went that far. I have it recorded, so I'll take another look.

Ok...just checked on the EPCR website...obviously there are still 3 games left for round 2, but Mike Lowry had made.more more metres than any other player in the competition so far, on 241 in 2 games (Lowe is on 184 so chances are he will best Lowry's total tomorrow). He is also joint 1st for the number of clean breaks with 5. That's pretty remarkable for a 20 year old playing his first two starts in Pro rugby and playing out of position.

On another note Addison tops the offloads charts with 8.

• Advertisement

Owens refusal to check that "knock on" was bizarre.

Mind you he would have been well within his rights to card McBurney. I said yesterday that McBurney needs to keep up the b******Ness inhis game...but that was just dumb. Hartleyesque in fact.

Yeah, I have it recorded. Definitely rolled forward about 18 inches. The fact that it remained behind the carrier made it look relatively static.

I saw it at the time, but never thought it went that far. I have it recorded, so I'll take another look.
    Look it up prawny, then come back to awec and I will forgive you for questioning me.

Yeah, I have it recorded. Definitely rolled forward about 18 inches. The fact that it remained behind the carrier made it look relatively static.
    18 inches you say? Not 18.5? Maybe closer to 19?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

"I'm not that kind of player."

So don't do it then. When you do it once you become that player.

18 inches you say? Not 18.5? Maybe closer to 19?
    Tough luck awec. Caught exaggerating again. :P

bilston wrote: »
    Ok...just checked on the EPCR website...obviously there are still 3 games left for round 2, but Mike Lowry had made.more more metres than any other player in the competition so far, on 241 in 2 games (Lowe is on 184 so chances are he will best Lowry's total tomorrow). He is also joint 1st for the number of clean breaks with 5. That's pretty remarkable for a 20 year old playing his first two starts in Pro rugby and playing out of position.

On another note Addison tops the offloads charts with 8.

Yeah he looks very impressive! Can seem to beat a player with footwork like Carbery can, looking forward to seeing more from him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

bilston wrote: »
    Owens refusal to check that "knock on" was bizarre.

Mind you he would have been well within his rights to card McBurney. I said yesterday that McBurney needs to keep up the b******Ness inhis game...but that was just dumb. Hartleyesque in fact.

Like Hartley?
    He can’t be that thick surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Habitual

Faugheen wrote: »

Why not hold Sexton to the same values and morals. Screaming in ROG's face after D'Arcy scored in 2009. Has he become that player as you suggest in your post? Same with George North pointing at Genia when scoring for the Lions. People love to be outraged when it supports their agenda. Unfortunately there is an agenda by some against Zebo. Yeah probably not good enough to start for Ireland now with current options even if still playing in Ireland but a great rugby player and a joy to watch at times..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Habitual wrote: »

Why not hold Sexton to the same values and morals. Screaming in ROG's face after D'Arcy scored in 2009. Has he become that player as you suggest in your post? Same with George North pointing at Genia when scoring for the Lions. People love to be outraged when it supports their agenda. Unfortunately there is an agenda by some against Zebo. Yeah probably not good enough to start for Ireland now with current options even if still playing in Ireland but a great rugby player and a joy to watch at times..

Sexton was absolutely bollocked out of it for that. He STILL gets questions about it to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Habitual

troyzer wrote: »
    Sexton was absolutely bollocked out of it for that. He STILL gets questions about it to this day.

I was replying to Faugheens post where he stated that doing it once means 'you become that player'. Don't think that holds true for Sexton nor should it for an isolated incidence. Just typical OTT reactionary hyperbole to everything now, especially when people have certain agendas is not helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Sexton is still being asked about that moment, nine years later. He has never been allowed forget it but at least had the excuse of being young and stupid. Zebo can claim only one of those.

North took a lot of flak for the Lions try IIRC.

Ah it wasn't the worst showboating, but it's just the latest display of a really bad attitude from Zebo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I didn't see the first 30 mins of the game but the rest was pretty entertaining.

Ulster's set piece is still a mess. I think it is time to give Rory Best the heave ho. His throwing has just never convinced. McBurney's throwing looks better and I'd be pushing him to start more.

Scrum was also a mess. Warwick and Kane just aren't good enough. Hopefully Moore can stay fit as without him they are going nowhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

A 23 year old Sexton coming on for the biggest game of his life, and in a bigger stage than he had ever played in at that point of his career, was rightly bollocked for that, and he still gets bollocked for it nearly 10 years later. Who has the agenda here, again?

Also, Sexton isn't the one who's claiming that he doesn't do stuff like that AFTER doing so.

Seasoned pro Zebo taunts a young player who's still in single digits in terms of appearances when his team was multiple scores ahead.

Tell me how Zebo doesn't look like a dickhead here and then claim he doesn't do stuff like that, after he has just done stuff like that.

You can give me all the whataboutery you want but Zebo still acted like a dick when his team were miles ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

On Zebo, firstly you’d imagine every professional and amateur rugby player would’ve seen last week how the most important thing to do when running in a try is to actually ground the ball. Don’t be thinking about anything else! Secondly, taunting any player (regardless of age or experience) as you run over the line is bad form.

People say “Joe won’t be too impressed”. I suspect Joe wouldn’t have been paying too much attention to Zebo anyway. There was enough players on the Ulster team to look at.

Fair play to Nigel Owens for pulling him up on it too. I never really played rugby but I love it as a team game. It’s values which people like Owens uphold mean it’s a game that I would love to see my children play. I for one will miss him whenever he hangs up his boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Lads, Sexton plays for neither Ulster nor Racing. Can you have a separate thread please? Something like "Who's Less Gracious, Leinster or Munster Players?" Sort it out amongst yourselves, leave us Ulster fans to make sense of the game? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

It wasn't great from Zebo but seen worse taunting, I think it was the fact he did it to a young lad.

The worst one or funniest was Gary Halpin's 2 fingers to new Zealand after we had scored a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

For me, it’s how you react to an error of judgment that says more about one than the error itself. Zebo’s response has been spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Random Bloke

Very different scenarios. Lowry is a young lad who did nothing to Zebo.
    ROG was a wily player who had been winding up Sexton for a long time before Sexton's outburst.
    I do agree with you that agendas set perspectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Not remotely out of character for Zebo either.

He's a fraud, on every level.

Bit harsh unlike you to be so hateful

• Advertisement
Advertisement