Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If found in bar, please return to race!

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

To be honest, it's not something that I put much thought into. I'd never shower before a long run, for instance.

I think that it was probably two-fold though, firstly that I wanted to ensure that I was fully "awake" with the earlier than normal start and secondly, that I was going to be meeting people before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great report P, a pleasure to enjoy the afterglow with you too. Terrific running. Great that you never have that pee stop.

I’m a pre-race shower person. A shave too, the day before. Deffo gets you in the right frame of mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fantastic report there P - I really enjoyed reading that. Congrats again on the PB and thanks for the chats (and seat!!) in McGrattan's!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Brilliant report P & even better race! Was delighted to give you a shout out at walkinstown, was great supporting people, actually felt quite emotional at times!

I'm thrilled for you getting a PB & a negative split too. You have put in a solid block of training the rewards were there for you on the day. Enjoy the buzz🤗

Week starting 2023-10-30

Monday - Nothing

Tuesday - Also nothing

Wednesday - 4m recovery

Got out at lunchtime. All systems okay for the most part, although lateral quads were fairly achy.

A nice hot bath before bed.

Total: 4.01 miles, Avg. pace: 8:53, Avg. HR: 125.

Thursday - 30 minutes turbo

Not quite recovery intensity.

Total: 10.38 miles, Avg. speed: 20.7 mi/h, Avg. power: 136 w.

Friday - 4m recovery

Post work loop. Legs much better than on Wednesday. HR a bit elevated, but was feeling a bit clogged up, so that might explain it.

Total: 4.00 miles, Avg. pace: 9:23, Avg. HR: 132.

Saturday - St Anne's parkrun #144 @ not recovery

This included the jog from/to the car. Parkrun time was 26:09.

Legs still not 100%, but happy enough to push things bit beyond recovery.

Where's Wally?

Total 4.50 miles, Avg. pace: 8:58, Avg. HR: 130.

Sunday - 30 minutes turbo

Again, not recovery intensity.

Total: 11.09 miles, Avg. speed: 22.1 mi/h, Avg. power 168 w.

The week in review

Mostly recovery adjacent.

Next week

Slowly building the miles back up, while mostly keeping the intensity down.

• Advertisement

Week starting 2023-11-06

Monday - Cycle to gym, 30 lengths

Post work cycle up to the gym for a swim and sauna.

30 lengths; 10 freestyle, breaststroke and freestyle (again).

Tuesday - 5 mile run

My first "night" run in a long time. Dinner was still sloshing around a bit, which wasn't ideal.

Total: 5.00 miles, Avg. pace: 9:04, Avg. HR: 132.

Wednesday - 45 minute cycle

Dialed back a bit on the intensity level from last Sunday, although still slightly higher than pre-marathon.

Total: 14.89 miles, Avg. speed: 19.8 mi/h, Avg. power 133 w.

Thursday - 5 6 mile run

Post work run out towards Clontarf and along the seafront.

This was meant to be a 5 miler, but A was heading out for a 6 mile run as part of her base building plan, so I was delighted to get the chance to join her.

Total: 6.00 miles, Avg. pace: 10:26, Avg. HR: 118.

Friday - Yoga

Cycled up to the gym after work for a Bodyflex class.

Saturday - 7 miles general aerobic

We were heading out on Saturday evening and there was a possibility that drink would be taken, so I moved the "long" run forward a day. I was tired generally for this, but the legs felt good. HR still elevated and HRV still low.

Total: 7.01 miles, Avg. pace: 9:19, Avg. HR: 132.

Sunday - Rest

Tired after Saturday evening and had a family dinner, so decided against running.

The week in review

A nothing of a week, energy levels not great with a bit of a headcold, but legs getting back to normal.

Next week

Try to keep building and hope that the energy levels bounce back and the headcold f**ks right off.

Week starting 2023-11-13

Monday - Swim 750mt mixed

Pretty much the same as last week, 10 x freestyle, freestyle & breaststroke.

Tuesday - 5 miles recovery

Nothing much to report. The "headcold" is still lingering.

Total: 5.01 miles, Avg. pace: 8:52, Avg. HR: 132.

Wednesday - 3 miles recovery & 10 mile cycle

Cycled up to the PT before work for a massage to help waken me up. Could have been more painful.

Post work recovery loop around the local area.

Total: 3.11 miles, Avg. pace: 9:12, Avg. HR: 128.

Thursday - 7 miles general aerobic

This was meant to have strides, but I decided to keep it easy. Headed out along the coast at Clontarf and back via Killester.

Total: 7.07 miles, Avg. pace: 9:01, Avg. HR: 131.

Friday - Rest

Yup.

Saturday - 5 miles recovery

This run was brought to you by Friday night Guinness.

Total: 5.01 miles, Avg. pace: 911, Avg. HR: 137.

There was also meant to be a recovery cycle/turbo, but suffice to say that didn't happen.

Sunday - 9 miles general aerobic (planned, 10.6 miles actual) & 10 mile cycle

Cycled down to the PP for a social run with C, D, K & S. Time flies when you're chatting in good company.

Total: 10.67 miles, Avg. pace: 8:55, Avg. HR: 144 🤔.

The cycle(s) totaled 10 miles - 5.31 miles there and 4.69 miles back.

The week in review

• Running: 30.9 miles
    • Cycling: 16.4 miles
    • Swimming: 0.75k
    • S&C: ❌
    • Yoga: ❌

This week

Still building back up, so I'm guessing at more easy running. That said, I'm getting bored of easy running all the time so am tempted to give parkrun a rattle on Saturday.

I've also an appt. at lunchtime today to get an S&C plan, so will start that either this week or next.

Week starting 2024-11-20

Monday - Rest (Got strength plan from physio)

I'd usually head up to the gym after work on a Monday for a swim, but have a lot on this week, so didn't make it up.

I did manage to get down to the physio to get a strength training plan to keep me going for the next 6-8 weeks.

Tuesday - 7 miles general aerobic

A glorious day for an early morning run around the local area.

Total: 7.07 miles, Avg. pace: 8:53, Avg. HR: 136.

Wednesday - 11 miles cycle and 4 mile run

Lunch: First time actually out on the bike for a while, not sure I chose a good day though. A bit wet, windy and cold. Enjoyable.

Total: 11.12 miles, Avg. speed: 12.9mi/h, Avg. power (estimated): 84 w.

PM: Short post work easy run.

Total: 4.01 miles, Avg. pace: 9:02, Avg. HR: 135.

Thursday - 8 mile run with strides

An enjoyable 8 mile lunchtime loop through Tolka Valley Park and back along the canal. Did the strides along the length of the canal. The strides were my first time really upping the pace since DCM and I really enjoyed it, adding an extra 2 to the prescribed 8.

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Poppintree parkrun + 2 miles easy

Managed to drag myself out of bed "early" so cycled up to Poppintree in my Sanctuary Runners top for parkrun. Earlier in the week I'd been thinking of letting off some steam and giving this a proper go. By Friday I'd decided against it, but was still considering a bit of a tempo instead.

Lined up at the start near enough the front the got the watch ready to go. I then got distracted and when I looked at the watch again, I thought I'd already started it. So obviously I pressed what I thought was "stop". I quickly realised that I'd pressed "start", so made up for it by pressing "lap". I quickly realised that this was incorrect, so I pressed "stop", then "lap" and then "start" again. Clearly after you press this many buttons in quick succession, everything is okay. In addition, there was no longer time to discard the entire run.

I waited for the countdown and pressed the "start" button, which it turns out was actually the "stop" button. I pressed "stop/start" again and settled into my run, noting that my first mile lap pace for the first 100 metres or so was about 17:00.

Note to self, never go to parkrun without having your morning coffee.

Anyway, on to the actual run. Due to unexpected technology complications just before the run started, I'd no real idea of my lap pace for the first mile. I kept an eye on my HR to ensure that it was in the right zone. The first mile came in at 7:12, which I was happy enough with for tempo effort.

Onto lap 2 and everything still felt good, although the HR was moving beyond LT. I decided to just keep it going. The legs felt good and I was easily able to thank the volunteers as I passed them; always a good sign. The second mile beeped in the latter part of lap 2 @ 6:46. Definitely faster than LT and the HR was well past that point as well. Still I felt good.

Onto the third and shorter lap. I was still overtaking a couple of runners and although the effort levels were high, I definitely wasn't red-lining. The legs felt strong and I didn't feel under pressure. Mile 3 beeped @ 6:32. One last time around the small pond and as I crossed the finish line the timer noted that I looked like I'd hardly broken a sweat. I'll take that.

Poppintree parkrun #145 @ (tempo?) : 20:34

Added on a few random loops in the park for another 2 miles then said hi to a few of the Sanctuary Runners, then jumped back on the bike back home, before a busy day.

Sunday - 10 miles general aerobic

A really enjoyable run through St Anne's park and back home along the coast.

Total: 10.01 miles. Avg. pace: 8:45, Avg. HR: 130.

The week in review

• Running: 34.2 miles ✔️
    • Cycling: 16.25 miles ❌
    • Swimming: ❌
    • S&C: ❌

This week

This is the final week of marathon recovery. I've mostly, but not completely, stuck to plan (despite 4/5 ❌ above)

I'll be starting on the strength plan this week and really need to get the cycling back on track, as I can feel the hips starting to tighten up and niggle a bit.

Week starting 2023-11-27

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 7 mile easy run

Sunrise run out along the coast and back through Killester. Stopped for a couple of minutes as the sun was rising above the horizon. Glorious.

Total: 7.00 miles, Avg. pace: 8:29, Avg. HR: 126.

Wednesday 5 mile easy run & Strength workout

Another morning run, in the opposite direction towards Finglas this time. A lot colder than Tuesday.

Total: 5.01 miles, Avg. page: 8:58, Avg. HR: 130.

Cycled up to the gym after work to do my new strength workout for the first time. The focus is a bit different, moving from low weight and high reps to heavier weights (a relative term) with lower reps.

Thursday - 8 miles general aerobic with strides

It's cold out there...and achy. It's very achy. I'd love to say that the strides eased the legs out and I felt much better afterwards, but they didn't and I don't. My quads and glutes are very achy. They'll probably be worse tomorrow as well.

Total: 8.00 miles, Avg. pace: 8:33. Avg. HR: 137.

Friday - Rest

Aches actually not worse today. Aches also no better.

Saturday - 6.2 miles easy

We were out on Friday night so Saturdays run had to wait until the afternoon. Same as other runs this week, nothing much to report.

Total: 6.23 miles, Avg. pace: 8:41, Avg. HR: 133.

Sunday - 12 mile medium long run

The final run in the recovery block. This was meant to be 11 miles, but I'd decided beforehand to take in a bit more of the park top bring the total to 12.

As usual with MLR/Endurance runs, this was split into four three mile blocks, targeting an increasing HR, but keeping below marathon effort.

Average paces for the 4 blocks were 9:04, 8:37, 7:54 and 7:46. Job done.

Total: 12.01 miles, Avg. pace: 8:20, Avg. HR: 136.

The week in review

Running effort levels and paces seem to be pretty much back to normal, but cycling has taken a hit over the last few weeks.

• Running: 38.3 miles ✔️
    • Cycling: 3.25 miles ❌
    • Swimming: ❌
    • Strength: Only one session, but good to get started ✔️❌

Next week

I tweaked my calf coming down the stairs this morning, so not sure what the week holds now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

P, I've only just gotten round to reading your DCM report. Deadly stuff, congrats again!!!

(delighted to hear too, that you finally managed to relieve yourself....)😊

• Advertisement

Week starting 2023-12-04

Monday - Rest

I'd tweaked my left calf first thing in the morning coming down the stairs, so gave myself the day off.

Tuesday - 7 miles general aerobic

The calf was feeling much better, so decided to get back on track. A nice lunchtime run with nothing more than a small grumble or two from the calf.

Total: 7.00 miles, Avg. pace: 8:38, Avg. HR: 133.

Wednesday - 7 miles with 16 minutes tempo

I had to attend a funeral in the morning, so worked from the mothership in the afternoon. This meant that the run was port work around the old 'hood with 16 minutes at tempo effort levels. The route for the tempo was net uphill and into the wind in wet and windy conditions.

Tempo miles were 7:29, 7:11, (7:05)

Total: 7.01 miles, Avg. pace: 8:16, Avg. 142.

Thursday - 7 miles general aerobic & Gym strength

The run didn't happen until after run, so the gym session got knocked on the head.

Total: 7.10 miles, Avg. page: 9:21, Avg. HR: 135.

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Fairview parkrun #146 (26:21)

Ran down to Fairview parkrun with A.

Took parkrun "handy enough" although I couldn't resist a bit of a progression.

Then back home again with A, via the local corner shop to get breakfast food.

Total: 6.47 miles, Avg. pace: 9:28, Avg. HR: 130.

Sunday - Rest

This was meant to be a 10 mile endurance run, but I was hungover in the morning and by the time I felt up to it, it was stormy out and I decided to stay in front of the fire and watch a movie instead.

Week in review

Not the best week training-wise, with the calf niggle early on and life getting in the way in the latter part of the week.

Next week

Christmas is fast approaching, so I'm not gonna suggest that training this week is likely to be much better than last.

Week starting 2023-12-11

Monday - Strength training

I actually made it up to the gym to do my strength routine. Managed most of it, except for one machine, which 2 guys hogged for the full hour that I was there.

Tuesday - 8 miles general aerobic

A nice "lunchtime" run.

Wednesday - 7 miles with 18 min @ LT, 30 minutes cycle / turbo

Nothing much to report here (that I can recall).

Paces for tempo came in at: 6:53, 7:08, 7:07 (3:58)

Thursday - 8 miles endurance

A lovely run on the Tolka Valley / Royal Canal loop.

Friday - Rest

Saturday - St Anne's parkrun

A progression-ish run at St Anne's parkrun. Not planned, but just went with it. Left calf tightened up in the final 1-200 metres and both calves tightened during my short cooldown.

Sunday - 11 miles endurance

Calves were tight for the first half (4+ miles) of this but eased out pretty much as soon as I turned back downhill. Then the left calf tightened up again on the final hill back up through Drumcondra.

The week in review

The latter part of the week mentioned calves far more that I'd like. Not sure if related to the strength training or otherwise, but will definitely be taking care.

Next week

To be decided, depending on calf health. It's almost Christmas, so it's not as though training was going to be my primary focus.

Advertisement