Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If found in bar, please return to race!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done on the training. I can't wait for racing to resume and watch the results. There is quite a group of ye of similar age who will be really close together. Fun times ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,422 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice one. Terrific progress. Good luck with the 10k focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

I knew your training looked very familiar seeing GA and endurance on Strava.
    Super block of base building done.

Enjoy the 10k Plan, those Tuesday sessions are tough but really sharpen ya up.

Thanks J. I've taken a look at the midweek sessions and they look manageable enough on paper. No doubt as overall load increases week-on-week these will start to look very different.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well done on the training. I can't wait for racing to resume and watch the results. There is quite a group of ye of similar age who will be really close together. Fun times ahead :)

Thanks S. Hopefully I'm close to where I was for Bohermeen last year. I've been surprised by how quickly the fitness seems to have returned.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice one. Terrific progress. Good luck with the 10k focus.

Thanks D. Looking forward to it. My 10k PB is probably the softest at the moment; Strava gave me a(n unofficial) 10k PB in the middle of the Bohermeen half last March.

That said, the 10k focus is somewhat secondary. I'd intended focusing on 5k, but the 10k plan has longer "long runs" so is hopefully a better fit for moving on to marathon training. It also helps that the plan has two 5k tune-up races before the 10k, so I'll be able to have a tilt at my 5k PB as well.

Friday 5K recovery @ 9:16 (28:57), avg. HR: 118

Decided at the last minute to add the extras to the planned 3 miles to complete the MSB Virtual 5k. No pace/time target obviously, but good to support the club and a worthy charity.

Saturday 7 miles GA w/ 6 * 12 sec hills & 8 * 20 sec strides

Nothing much to report on this one other than the fact that I managed to correctly count both the hill sprints and strides. Followed up with some post-run stretching, mostly focussing on the hip flexors as per physio recommendation.

Sunday 10.5 miles endurance @ 7:50, avg. HR: 137

As with Thursday, I selected a route from early in the base building plan to gauge progress, this time from late January. The late January run averaged 8:40 pace and 139 HR, so good progress again.

My left adductor was a bit tight for this although eased as the pace increased. Some post run stretching after this again which resulted in a massively satisfying click in my hips.

The Week in review

First week of the 10k plan complete, same mileage as the final week of the base building. A bit of progression from an effort perspective, an extra 4 minutes on the tempo/lt but split into 3 reps (10'/8'/8') and an additional endurance run midweek, but overall it feels very manageable so far.

This week adds another 4 minutes onto the tempo run (12'/10'/8') and another couple of miles in total. Looking forward to it.

Week starting 2021-03-22

Faster Road Racing 10k Plan (45-57 miles) - Week 2

Plan

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 8 miles general aerobic
    Wednesday: 9 miles LT (12, 10, 8 minutes @ LT /w 3 minute jog recovery)
    Thursday: 9 miles endurance
    Friday: 3 miles recovery
    Saturday: 7 miles general aerobic w/ 2 x [5 x 200mt @ 800mt to 1m pace] off 200mt jog recovery & 4 min between sets
    Sunday: 11 miles endurance

Actual

Monday Rest

Tuesday 8 miles GA @ 8:09, avg. HR: 132 (66% HRR)

HR controlled throughout even though I ran up Khyber (slowest split and highest HR of run @ 8:46 and 137 avg. HR).

Left adductor needs some TLC, so plenty of post run stretching of both it and hip flexor. If it gets any worse, I'll be off to the physio...

Wednesday 9 miles including 12'/10'/8' min @ LT HR off 3' jog recovery

With the niggling adductor, I considered giving this a miss and either taking a rest day or keeping the effort easy. In the end I dragged myself out of bed and jogged around to Tolka Valley Park again. Walked up the steepest hill in the park and decided to see how things went. For the most part, I kept the effort levels lower than last week and for the most part, the watch only sang to me when I lapped or finished a rep. In fact, I think it only gave me a single HR warning in total. All three reps seem to have been first 50% into the wind and second half with the wind at my back. HR seemed to take an age to hit the target zone and then to get to 150 on the first rep (Avg. pace: 6:59, Avg. HR: 150, Max. HR: 157). Second rep was in the right zone almost immediately (Avg. pace: 7:06, Avg. HR: 155, Max. HR: 160). I was definitely breathing harder by the final rep, but maintained the same pace as the second for similar HR (Avg. pace: 7:06, Avg. HR: 156, Max. HR: 160).

Lots of stretching afterwards and adductor seems a lot happier now than it was after Tuesdays run.

Thursday 9 miles endurance @ 7:58, avg. HR: 136

I reversed the route from the previous Thursday endurance run for this one. Nothing much to report although adductor still niggling.

Friday 3.5 miles recovery @ 8:53, avg. HR: 124

HR higher and pace faster than the previous week for this. Adductor / hip area still niggling.

Saturday 5 miles GA w/ 2 x [200mt @ 800mt - 1m pace off 200mt jog recovery], 4 minute jog between sets

Session was as planned. Headed up to Ellenfield Park for it. A was also running a session and had headed up shortly before I got on the road. We ran our sessions in opposite directions, A clockwise and me anti-clockwise. The wind was tough on the exposed downhill on the N1 side, which really messed up pacing. For first set, times were 44, 43, 40, 45, 45. Second set came in at 46, 42, 46, 41, 43. It's the first proper pace I've had in a session outside of strides for a long time and the effort level overall was probably on the high side. Garmin agreed, dropping me a G-VO2Max point.

Was nice to be able to jog the cooldown back to home with A. We don't get to run together much these days.

Sunday 11 miles endurance @ 8:04, avg. HR: 137

Nothing much to report from this one, hip started off niggly but by the end I hardly noticed it. There was definitely wind, but reading other descriptions on Strava and log updates, it doesn't seem to have bothered me as much as others. Then again, my run did finish with a couple of miles along the Royal Canal with the wind at my back.

The Week in review

This weeks log update has been brought to you by the words niggle, adductor and hip. I've been trying to keep on top of things with stretching, but the last few days have shown me that this isn't working. Reviewing GCT-Balance from my Garmin-HRM from Saturdays run in particular, the faster reps were well off. I'd noticed myself in general that power seemed to be lacking on the left side, but seeing it in black and white (amber and red) there was telling. It's not something that I'm particularly worried about, I'm booked in to see my osteopath tomorrow at lunch time to get things adjusted. Afterwards I'll probably be a bit sore for a couple of days, so I'll be playing things by ear. Next week was meant to be a recovery week, so I may just swap the two weeks around and use this week as the step-back instead.

• Advertisement

🎤🎤 Hello, is this thing on? Can anyone hear me?

It appears that I've been somewhat remiss in my log updates for the last while...

So what's been happening?

I've been tipping along for the most part and have managed to complete a couple of marathons since March 2021.

The first of those was the Thoroughbred Marathon on the October Bank Holiday weekend in 2021, in a time of 4:07, when I mostly fell apart.

I started from a low enough base of about 25 miles per week and topped out at 45 miles. This was a fairly basic marathon training block and there was only 1-2 runs of anything more than marathon pace, and even then the MP runs were fairly sparse.

The second was DCM 2022, which I completed in a time of 3:54, thankfully without falling apart.

One thing that I'd become aware of was that I'd struggled with niggles (more than usual) since lockdown kicked in in 2020. The only/main difference in my daily routine was that cycling was pretty much removed from my daily routine, even if most of the cycling was just a total of 4-5 miles Monday to Friday commuting.

Based on this, I started reintroducing cycling into my weekly routine in the form of cross-training. I also joined a gym and started doing a bit of swimming once or twice a week.

For this marathon block, I was starting from an even lower base running-wise. Week one I only ran 15 miles, made up of 3 separate 5 miles runs. The plan topped out at a similar distance to the previous year, at 44 miles. The main difference between the two marathon blocks in 2021 and 2022 was the cross-training.

This'd probably be easier to read as a table, but I've no idea how to do that with the "new" boards :D

2022 DCM Sample Week

Monday

• Swim (1-2k)

Tuesday

• Easy run (5-8m) - sometimes with MP or faster

Wednesday

• Cycle (25-30m)

Thursday

• Easy run (5-8 miles)

Friday

• Stretching / Yoga
    • Swim (0.25-0.5k)

Saturday

• Easy run (6-7m)
    • Cycle (20-25m)

Sunday

• Long run
    • Cycle (10m)

So, since then I've continued building, using lots of cross-training. I've added in S&C on Mondays alongside the swimming.

Thoroughbred Half Marathon

I signed up for the Thoroughbred half marathon on June 18th this year and was happy with how that went, 1:34:59 in warm and muggy conditions. It's still a long was from my PB of 1:29:01 from Bohermeen 2020, but faster than the Dublin HM (1:36:38) before my marathon debut (and still fastest) in 2019.

This training block also included by second fastest 5k (by one second), at 19:43 a couple of weeks before the HM.

DCM 2023

This is day 2 of DCM training and I've yet to run.

At this stage, I've been using cycling and cross-training successfully for over a year and believe that it's really helped with my various niggles, so I'm sticking with that.

I'm coming from a much bigger & better base this year, with the cross-training well bedded into my routine and the S&C adding strength. Hopefully I can train well and target a PB in October.

The plan is "loosely" based on P&D plan, with at least one of the runs replaced with cycling and more cross-training thrown in as well. I've used P&D/L plans before and have found them good, so hopefully this hybrid will work as well.

Plan for first 6 weeks

Anyhoo, thanks for reading. Hopefully regular updates are something I can successfully add back into my routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great to see you back logging P, very best of luck with your journey to DCM 2023😊

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Interesting, I love a good spreadsheet! Best of luck.

Yep, unfortunately tables are no longer possible, but links to spreadsheets are all the rage. 😉

Welcome back.

So, week one of marathon training for DCM completed.

As outlined above, the plan is a 'self-modified' version of the P&D (up to 55 miles) plan. The main change is that one easy run midweek has been replaced with a cycle, some addition cycling has bene added at the weekends and I've also added S&C and swimming on Mondays.

Everything this week went mostly to plan.

Monday: S&C and a 1k swim (mixed strokes)

Nothing much to report here. Fairly sure I've an issue with my right deltoid (shoulder), which makes one of the upper body exercises uncomfortable. It's definitely not core to the workout, so I'll probably just skip that from now on. It's either that or go to a physio :)

Tuesday: The plan called for 8 miles, with 4 @ hmp. I mapped out a nice route that had net downhill for the 4 miles @ hmp and then promptly reversed the route completely. This resulted in the chunky part of the run being net uphill and mostly into the wind. I've no problem with that though, you can't choose the direction that the wind will blow come race day, so best to get used to these things during training.

I setup the watch with a pace target of 7:05 - 7:20 for the hmp miles, after the recent Thoroughbred HM came in at about 7:14. It was muggy enough and I was starting to feel fatigued by the end, but was happy to see the HR track afterwards, which was pretty much spot on for me.

Wednesday: Went for a spin on the bike on Wednesday morning with A, out the coast from Clontarf to Sutton and back. Total nearly 17 miles.

Thursday: Thursday was an general aerobic / easy run of 9 miles, but probably longer than I'm used to midweek from the recent HM plan. Out via Tolka Valley park and then down into the PP and back home. It's unusual for me to find myself in the PP these days on a weekday morning, so was really nice to see so many runners about, but even more so seeing so many cycling on their commutes into town.

Avg pace: 8:41 per mile

Friday: Friday is meant to have a yoga / bodyflex class, but went for a couple of pints instead.

Saturday: The plan called for 4 miles recovery, so I cycled to Poppintree parkrun. When I got there that plan was soon superseded by the 'don't get lapped' plan, when I saw that Catherina McKiernan was toeing the line. She finished in a time of 18:36 without lapping me. I've no doubt that she's devastated now reading this. I finished in 23:45. Definitely not recovery pace, or anything close to it, but not flat out either. Added the extra 0.9 to bring the total up to the planned 4 miles.

Avg pace: 8:09 per mile

After parkrun, I added a longer loop on the bike, out via the N2 and back through Saint Margaret's to bring my cycling total for the day to just over the planned 20 miles.

Sunday: The plan called for 12 miles endurance, so I cycled over to the PP with A in the morning, only to realise when I arrived at the visitors centre, that I'd no lock with me. There was no chance that I was leaving the bike unlocked, so I linked back up with A and we cycled home together.

After some lunch and the first of the GAA double header, I mapped out an alternate route starting from home. This was similar to Thursdays route, but with a few more miles in the PP. The route meant that it was net uphill and into the breeze for the first half and (hopefully) plain sailing for the second.

I'm sure that the route played a large part, but this was definitely a confidence booster.

The week

I'm definitely happy with how the week went. Both of the harder days, with the HMP session on Tuesday and the Endurance on Sunday, went well and the paces were at least where I'd like them to be at this early stage of marathon training.

It looks like I'll be moving things around both this week and next though, due to personal commitments. That said, I should be able to get all of the important runs in without compromising anything else.

• Advertisement

This takes more effort than I remember :D

So, week 2 done and dusted. As I said last week, I needed to move some of the runs around this week as we were away for the weekend, so the long run needed to be on Saturday instead of Sunday. Not a big deal, but I also needed to move my cross-training (cycling) forward to before the weekend, as we wouldn't have our bikes with us. The net effect of this was that the first half of the week was tougher than normal, but the second half lighter.

Monday: S&C, 1k swim

This is pretty much my standard Monday now.

S&C usually consists of

• Weighted squats
    • Leg extensions (single leg)
    • Hip abductor
    • Hip adductor
    • Lat pulldown
    • Chest press
    • Shoulder press
    • Leg press (single leg)
    • Seated leg curl (single leg)
    • Row/Rear deltoid

A good (hopefully) mix of lower and upper body. The main goal here is to build endurance not strength, so it's more about higher reps with lower weights.

The swim was a mix of freestyle, breaststroke and backstroke.

Tuesday: 10 miles general aerobic, 11.8 mile cycle

This run was meant to be on Thursday, but I moved it forward to Tuesday, to better spread out the runs this week. Apparently my legs were a bit tired after the S&C the evening before. I guess that's to be expected when you head out for your run at 7:30am.

I wouldn't normally add a cycle on a Tuesday, but as we were away for the weekend, I was trying to fit everything in.

Wednesday: 6.8 mile cycle AM, 20.5m cycle PM

I was working in the office on Wednesday, so added two cycles for the day. The first was meant to be longer, but I was running late, the second was meant to be shorter, but I took a wrong turn (or more accurately, I failed to take a turn).

Thursday: 8 miles general aerobic with 10 strides

The most notable thing about this run is that I actually managed to count the strides correctly.

Friday: Rest(?)

A couple of afternoon pints with lunch and lots of walking.

Saturday: 13(.5) miles with 8 at marathon effort, 0.4(ish)k sea swim with A

Like most others, I'm not really sure where my marathon pace will end up, so I'm mostly running by feel at the moment. I say "feel" but I'm keeping in and around the lower end of my marathon HR.

For this run, A drove me to Kilmacthomas on the Waterford Greenway and I ran back towards Waterford City. I had been going to run the other direction, but then I looked at the route profile and the weather forecast (wind direction) and decided to run in the other direction. In order to even things out a bit, I ran the first 4 miles downhill easy and finished with 1 mile cooldown. This meant that at least the route profile was evened out a bit.

The MP/E miles were: 7:07, 7:09, 7:35, 7:28, 7:34, 7:50, 7:51, 7:57.

The first few miles were downhill and the last few uphill. Overall, I'm happy enough with how it went. As the miles went on, it got warmer and muggier and at some parts there wasn't much in the way of tree cover.

The extra half mile was because that just the distance from Kilmacthomas and the end of the Greenway in Waterford City.

In the afternoon we went for a short sea swim.

Sunday: 5 easy / recovery miles

This mostly involved sweating red wine.

The week in review

Another good week. The first half was tough enough, with the hardest part being the second cycle on Wednesday. The conditions were tough with the wind, but there was definitely some fatigue in the legs. Thankfully by Thursday I was back to myself.

The run on Saturday went well, but I'm not going to read too much into the paces at this point. I have 7:40-7:50 in my head as MP at the moment, so with the route profile and wind mostly at my back, I feel like I'm on track, but time will tell.

Next week

Like last week, I'll be moving some of the runs to earlier in the week, as I've a couple of friends celebrating significant birthday's over the weekend. This means that I'll be running 10 miles GA on Thursday and 14 miles endurance on Friday. Not ideal, but it should be grand.

Nice work, P. Lots of switching around going on but you know what you are doing by now.

I like the approach to choosing MP. How are you choosing marathon HR, as a matter or interest?

It's mainly based around the average HR from the first half of my previous two marathons, nothing more scientific than that.

Maybe I'd be better to just choose a target pace, but at the moment the HR and expected / hoped for pace seem fairly in tune with each other.

That sounds like a sensible approach for sure - assuming of course the HR was accurately measured, always the caveat. If it's all lining up though, sounds like it was. Keep up the good work!

2023-07-10 - 2023-07-16

Monday: S&C & 1k swim

Tuesday: 8 miles with 4 at half-marathon effort

This went well. Used the same route as 2 weeks ago, which meant that the HM miles were net uphill and once again into the wind, albeit a less blustery day.

HM miles: 7:05, 6:59, 7:00, 6:48

Wednesday: 1.9 mile cycle AM & 21.8 mile cycle PM

Went into the office for the day for a change of scenery. Took the scenic route home via Malahide.

Thursday: 10 miles general aerobic

Early morning run out along Tolka Valley to Ashtown then into the park and down Chesterfield before heading home along the North Circular.

Friday: Rest - helped a friend celebrate a major milestone birthday, but took it easy enough

Saturday: 14 miles endurance

Turned off the alarm so that I'd wake naturally...at 6:45am. Tried again more successfully.

Went with an early afternoon endurance run out the canal to Castleknock and back via the PP. The run was split into 4 blocks of 3.5 miles each targeting a higher HR starting at 130 and finishing a smidge under my marathon HR. A more favourable second half, both downhill and with the wind mostly at my back was reflected in the paces.

3.5 miles blocks: 9:06, 8:44, 7:40, 7:49

The final block was slower than the third, but that's down to a combination of wind and elevation.

Sunday: 16.15 mile cycle AM, 5 miles recovery PM

Sunday was similar to Saturday, in that I was out the night before helping another friend celebrate a major milestone birthday.

That said, I did make it out earlier on Sunday, for a spin around the park with A.

The week in review

Not much to report. For the second week in a row, I'd to juggle with the schedule but managed to fit all of the runs in. I was a bit short on for miles on the bike, with not so much that I'd be worried.

Next week

I'm planning on sticking to the plan this week...famous last words.

2023-07-17 - 2023-07-23

Monday: S&C & 1k swim

Tuesday: 8 miles general aerobic with 10 strides

Nothing much to report here.

Wednesday: 1.9 mile & 22.5 mile cycles

Cycled into and home from the office. Clearly got lost on the way home.

Thursday: 10 miles general aerobic

Lunchtime run, out Tolka Valley and back via the Park. Nothing much of note, but an Army helicopter landed around the cricket pitches and it looked like there was an ambulance there and possibly someone being stretchered towards the helicopter. I hope it was nothing too serious.

Friday: Pints

Saturday: Poppintree parkrun with A, 20 mile cycle

Headed up the road on the bike to run Poppintree with A, her comeback 5k. A successful outing, despite me forgetting the key for my bike lock, not for the first time recently. I added on another mile or so afterwards.

Connected the bike back up Zwift for an hour after lunch to add another 20 miles to my weekly total.

Sunday: 15 miles medium-long run

All went well here again. I'd initially intended headed to the Phoenix Park until A reminded me that the 10 mile was on. Went out through Finglas past Cappagh instead, then turned around by the Blanch Centre through the village before a nice downhill along the canal back to Phibsboro.

The week in review

Another week with nothing much to report. My feet are a bit sore, but I'm adding in some rolling to help with that. I don't think it's anything to with about, but it's good to get on top of these things before they become something more.

Running: 37.6 miles

Cycling: 53.6 miles

Swim: 1k

S&C: 1 session

Next week

There's two big sessions next week, 9 miles with 5 @ hmp on Tuesday and the long run in Sunday, which is 16 miles with 10 @ marathon effort.

Based on how things have gone so far, I'm not too concerned about them but it definitely feels like another step up in the intensity.

Nice work P. I'm sure the bike was safe enough in Poppintree. 😉 All the best with the big week coming up. Sore feet sounds familiar - happy with the shoes?

A had her lock, so we locked both bikes together. One of the Marshalls had offered to look after the bikes as well before I realized my error, so it wouldn't have been an issue either way.

I'm actually rotating 3 different pairs of runners at the moment. It's definitely a possibility I'll be keeping an eye on. There's one that I'm not 100% confident about, so they're the primary suspect.

2023-07-24 - 2023-07-30

Monday S&C & 1k swim

Tuesday 9 miles with 5 @ HMP / LT

I'd been taking a look at the P&D plan over the weekend and discovered that the sessions that I've written as HMP are actually meant to be @ LT, which they (P&D) describe as between 15k and HM pace. (Waits for @skyblue46 to make a Roy Keane comment).

My paces for the 2 similar sessions so far in the plan came in slightly faster than my HM pace from Kildare in mid-June and the HR averages were in the upper quarter of the prescribed band, so I guess I'm still in the right area.

That all sounds well and good, but I still had to get out and put the work in.

This felt a lot tougher than the efforts in the previous weeks and it's shown in both the paces and the HR. I've also been feeling bloated for a few days. Time to get the diet in check...unlikely to happen.

Happy afterwards that I got it done, as there was definitely a voice in the dark shadows urging me to knock it on the head from after the first mile.

According to the P&D book, my LT HR band (based on 77%-84% HRR) falls between 144 and 159. It was good to see that I was dialed into the correct effort levels HR-wise, excepting the final mile, which was borne more of frustration than anything else.

Wednesday 20 mile virtual cycle

I didn't really fancy heading outdoors for this and the bike was already in the same room as the turbo, so I connected it up and off I went. I generally use one of the robopacers (D Bernie) on Zwift, which keeps me at an even effort for the most part. All was going well until halfway through when I realised that I hadn't started Spotify. By the time I'd sorted that (30 seconds while still cycling) the robopacer was off down the road on a big downhill. I briefly tried to close the gap, but it wasn't happening and my HR was well above where I'd like it to be, so I eased off and just wheeled it in.

What's funny, or not, is that the max level that my HR reached would be standard for me cycling outdoors and I'd think nothing of it. I'd also generally be a few k an hour slower outdoors.

Thursday 10 miles general aerobic - Avg: 9:04 per mile @ 134 bpm

Not sure what to say about this; pace down and HR up, as has been the general theme for this week.

I'm starting to wonder if I've picked something up. My resting HR was up on Thursday, but that wasn't unexpected as I'd a couple of pints with dinner on Wednesday, but it hadn't returned to normal by Friday. I also noticed the my overnight HRV was down in Wednesday and Thursday nights.

Hopefully it's nothing and I'll be back on track for the MP long run on Sunday. Either way, next week is a much anticipated step-back week, so it'll give the body a chance to recover and adapt.

Friday Yoga

Saturday 5 miles recovery - pacing 29 minutes at St Anne's parkrun, 20 miles cycle

Sunday 16 miles with 10 @ marathon effort

The last MP effort was 13 with 8 @ MP, which I ran on the Waterford Greenway on a net downhill with the wind at my back. No such luxuries were afforded with the route in and around the Phoenix Park this time round.

Cycled down to park early (for me). As I was passing a zoo there was a big group gathering and I thought I saw Sonia O'Sullivan. I realised it was the Irishman Running Abroad group, so kept an eye out for @Laineyfrecks and gave her a shout out.

The run itself went well. The first half of the MP miles were net downhill with the wind at my back, so the paces were good and the HR under control. The final four miles were on a more undulating route, starting from the city end of the park and up along the S bends and up onto the Acres. I was definitely tiring by the final mile or so, but overall felt good. Finished the run shuffling up the North Road, before unlocking the bike and cycling home.

The week in review

This was a big week in the plan, with the midweek HMP session and the MP long run. I wasn't feeling 100% midweek, but by Sunday I was back to myself for the main event.

1. Running: 39.1 miles
    2. Cycling: 45.25 miles
    3. Swimming: 1k
    4. S&C: 1 session

Next week

This week is a bit of a step back week to let the body recover and adapt. It's definitely needed. Massage booked for Wednesday afternoon as well, which should help.

Post edited by mister paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Haha cheers for the shout out😊, was a great morning!

• Advertisement

2023-07-31 - 2023-08-06

Finally a step back week with a PT visit thrown in for good measure.

Monday 1k swim (planned), 0.75k actual

I was feeling fresher than usual for the swim, mainly because I hadn't done an S&C session beforehand.

Tuesday 8 miles easy with 10 strides (Avg. pace: 8:32 including strides, Avg. HR: 130)

Legs were a bit achey on this one, but nothing that would concern me. Right foot got a bit sore during the second half for a bit.

Wednesday 15 miles cycle (planned), 3.8 mile (actual)

I decided that the cycle up to the PT and home again was enough for the day.

Thursday 8 miles easy (Avg. page: 8:41, Avg. HR: 127)

Legs feeling better after the PT on Wednesday.

Friday 15 mile cycle

Wednesday was pretty much a rest day with the PT visit, so when A suggested a morning cycle, I jumped at the chance.

Lovely spin up the coast towards Howth and back again.

Saturday 5 miles easy

Saturday was one of those days that could go either way, after a night out on Friday with the wine flowing freely.

In the end, the run happened and much wine was sweated out, but the planned 20 mile cycle was knocked on the head.

Sunday 21 mile cycle (indoor) + 12 miles medium-long run

We'd been invited out to A's folks in North Kildare for dinner on Sunday afternoon, so my day was planned around that.

Woke naturally and finalised my plans. Attached the bike up to the turbo for an hour in the back room. Still no doors open as the second fledgling gull is still kicking around and if the door is open he'll become cat food. Poor Zahra, nearly two weeks indoors now to keep the terrible twins out of trouble.

Went with an hour, hoping for a bit over 20 miles in total. I pushed on for the final quarter, to bring me up to over 40 miles for the week.

Next was breakfast with A and some TV, before getting ready for my run. Choose a route into the docklands and back out along the Grand Canal all the way to the 12th lock at Adamstown. They say you can't choose the weather for your marathon, but you can sign up for one where the route isn't uphill into the prevailing wind. Anyhoo, the hill along the canal aren't steep by any means and a bit of wind and rain into your face are character building.

Part of me would have preferred to run along the Royal Canal, as I'd be walking along that from Leixlip Louisa Bridge to Maynooth on Monday, on a walk that started (for me) in Lucan. The full walk is nine days from The Spire in Dublin to Knock in aid of Mary's Meals. Fair play to all of those taking in the full route.

Back to the run itself, there's nothing much to report really. There was a bit of rain around Portobello but thankfully it dried out after that and neither the breeze nor the uphill nature of the run were too much of a challenge. Finished the 12 miles just short of the 12th lock, where A collected me and we headed out to her folks for dinner (and more wine).

The week in review

A much needed step-back week. A few aches and pains, so need to get on top of the stretching. A reminded me during the week that last year I'd included a fair bit of foam rolling, so I think it's time to dust that off and reinstate it to the proper place in my schedule (while watching crap TV in the evening).

Next week

New week, new training block.

Looking at the schedule for this week and it definitely looks to be a step up from the last block. It starts with a 10 miler, with 5 at hmp, followed on Thursday by 11 miles MRL (progression) and the long run on Sunday is 18 miles. Like the midweek run this will also be a progression stopping a bit short of marathon pace/HR.

The overall training block will be fairly mixed up with a few trips (both work and pleasure) planned. Hopefully it won't impact too much on the plan overall and I can get the miles in without negatively impacting on things.

2023-08-07 - 2023-08-13

Monday

7.1 mile walk along the Royal Canal

Tuesday

10 miles with 5 at half-marathon effort

Went with the standard route for this. Paces similar to last time out, so happy enough with that.

HMP miles came in at 7:13, 7:04, 7:16, 7:17, 7:18

Wednesday

Planned: 20 mile cycle

Actual: 14 & 8 mile cycles

Cycled out to the homestead via a circuitous route for dinner and to cut my mother's grass

Thursday

11 mile medium-long run

The medium-long runs in the P&D plans are progression runs, which I generally split into 4-5 blocks, depending on the distance.

The target HR for each of the blocks were 130 (2 miles), 135 (3 miles), 140 (3 miles) and 145 (3 miles).

• Miles 1-2 - Avg. Pace: 8:32 - Avg. HR: 123 - Elev: +5mt
    • Miles 3-5 - Avg. Pace: 8:43 - Avg. HR: 135 - Elev: +27mt
    • Miles 6-8 - Avg. Pace: 8:05 - Avg. HR: 140 - Elev: -19mt
    • Miles 9-11 - Avg. Pace: 7:59 - Avg. HR: 144 - Elev: -13mt

This went well overall, but there were a couple of random niggles during the run, so I've a couple of areas to focus on for my stretching routine over the next couple of days.

Friday

Rest

Saturday

Planned: 7 mile general aerobic with 8 x 100mt strides, 15 mile cycle

Actual: 6 mile general aerobic, 18 mile cycle indoors

We drove over to Corkagh for parkrun. A mile "warmup" beforehand in the lashings of rain.

The rain stopped just before the run started and the heat kicked back in, which increased the effort levels after two nights with drink taken. Still though, it was mostly easy effort throughout.

Added another mile+ after to bring the total for the day up to 6.

My calves were tight throughout the parkrun, possibly due to the alcohol intake. After the couple of minutes standing around between parkrun and the "cooldown", the calves were grand.

Got home and after some breakfast I connected the bike up to the Zwift Hub. After rebooting the phone, the hub and the laptop* about 5 times each, they finally started talking to each other.

Took it very easy on the ride with one of the pacing groups. Think it was only 1.0 or 1.1 W/kg. 60 minutes was more than enough.

Followed up in the evening with some stretching and foam rolling.

* The laptop rebooted itself at least 3 times without warning after it applied a windows update.

Sunday 5 mile cycle, 18 mile long run , 5 mile cycle

Cycled over to the PP in the mid-morning (later than ideal) for this one and got going just before 11:30.

To be honest, despite the fact that it was 18 miles, nothing really stands out about the run. The heat probably started to get to me towards the end and as a result the pace dropped, despite the HR increasing, as per plan. The legs generally felt good though.

The week in review

Another good week overall. It was definitely a step forward from the two weeks previously, when I wasn't feeling 100%.

Next week

This week is another tough one, with a 20 mile long run two days after 10 with 6 at half-marathon pace. The original plan has them on Friday and Sunday, but I might move them a day forward. That'd mean that I can enjoy Ireland v England match on Saturday without the long run hanging over me.

Post edited by mister paul on

You did well to keep the HR remarkably consistent on Thursday even with pace increasing 😉

Well spotted. I was too busy calculating the net elevation gains that I forgot to update the HR.

2023-08-14 - 2023-08-20

Monday

S&C, 1k swim

There seems to be an increasing number of broken machines in the gym every week, so didn't get everything done.

The 1k swim was 4 x 250mt - freestyle, breaststroke, freestyle x 2

Tuesday

4 mile easy with 4 strides

I'd originally planned on swapping the week around and moving everything forward a day, so that I could enjoy the Ireland v England match on Saturday evening. After much thought about it on Monday, I decided to reset (mostly). What's the point in getting the long run out of the way on Saturday so that you can enjoy the evening, if you then fall asleep halfway through.

Wednesday

AM: 12 mile medium long run

So, with the week back to it's original structure, the MLR became an early Wednesday run. And what a morning for it. Not too warm with a nice cooling breeze. I'm sure that helped keep the HR under wraps, but I'm starting to feel stronger again after whatever hit me a couple of weeks ago.

• Miles 1-3 - Avg. Pace: 8:37 - Avg. HR: 125 - Elev: +9mt
    • Miles 4-6 - Avg. Pace: 8:27 - Avg. HR: 133 - Elev: +20mt
    • Miles 7-9 - Avg. Pace: 7:47 - Avg. HR: 138 - Elev: -13mt
    • Miles 10-12 - Avg. Pace: 7:35 - Avg. HR: 143 - Elev: -8mt

PM: 20 mile cycle (Zwift)

Thursday

Rest

Friday

10 miles with 6 @ half-marathon effort.

I really wasn't feeling the love for this beforehand, as I'd been feeling a bit bloated throughout the day and didn't get out until after work. The bloated feeling persisted throughout the HMP effort, but thankfully didn't progress into anything more sinister. Took a minute standing in Albert College after the HMP miles were completed to undertake a controlled deflation.

As the session was after work, I missed out on the usual yoga/bodyflex class, although I'm not sure I would have made it anyway, as by the end of the run Storm Betty was starting to kick off.

Saturday

Cycled over to Tolka Valley parkrun to support the Sanctuary Runners, who were visiting from nearby Poppintree to help celebrate Tolka Valleys 200th event. Took the parkrun at an easy pace and cycled straight home afterwards. Thankfully I'd taken my old mountain bike / tank instead of the road bike, as it was much better at handling all the broken branches on Griffith Avenue.

Sunday

AM: The first 20 miler of the block.

Got up and out a bit before 10 in the morning, after a couple of slices of toast, a berocca and a cappuccino. It was possibly a bit too much to take on 15-20 minutes before a run and I could feel them all for the first mile or so. I took in a route out the coast by Clontarf before hitting the Baldoyle Greenway and then back inland and heading towards home. This went better than the 18 miler last week, in that I felt stronger during the closing miles and the pace didn't drop as much. I took 4 gels in total, after 4, 8, 12 and 16 miles. The first of these set the tone as I got stopped at a road crossing as I hit the 4 mile mark. Thus it seemed ok to stop briefly for every gel. I've no issues with taking the gels on the go, but just decided on the day to give myself a small rest each time. There were a couple of other small stops to check that I was on the right route.

PM: 16.7 mile cycle (indoor)

The legs felt tired starting off here, but by halfway through they were feeling better. I chose a fairly flat route and never pushed the effort levels, keeping it well in the recovery zone with an average power output of 87W.

The week in review

Another good week.

• Swimming: 1k
    • Running: 49.4m
    • Cycling: 45.8m

Next week

We've visitors over on Saturday evening, so I'll probably move the MP session forward from Sunday to Saturday morning. Other than that, everything else should be as per plan.

Controlled deflation 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Loved that reference too. Had a similar experience after my own Tuesday session this week. ‘Urban cough’ was the phrase mentioned by M, apparently copyrighted by TbL.

Went for the less controlled version myself. 😁

it begged the question - is this a thing after certain sessions for everyone? I’ve often noticed the ‘tendency’ during cooldown runs myself.

Better out than in, and all that. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Great Training P

"it begged the question - is this a thing after certain sessions for everyone? I’ve often noticed the ‘tendency’ during cooldown runs myself."

yes cooldown runs for me too - must be as you slow up and chill, everything decides to relax 😄

• Advertisement

It wasn't quite a mile 24 feeling, but there was definitely a small concern there during the session. It's not something that I've really noticed previously. I think it was just caused by my food choices at lunchtime, which were far from ideal. I was already feeling bloated before the run.

Hopefully it's a case of lesson learned and it doesn't happen again.

Advertisement