Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yesterday you were asked to stop posting in a thread by the mods. If you're going to talk more gowl about Hillary I'd suggest you do the same thing today.

Yesterday the mods clarified that the thread was closed due to some posters not abiding by the charter.

But we are not here to question the moderators, we are here to discuss a subject matter.

We could return to normal service of you ganging up on posters but i guess we could just move on and discuss the subject at hand.

Or I dont know lets talk about my spelling and education, maybe were i grew up ?

A real adult discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yesterday you were asked to stop posting in a thread by the mods. If you're going to talk more gowl about Hillary I'd suggest you do the same thing today.

He's allowed to post again.
    If you have an issue tough report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Travellers are a huge problem in Clare.
    A friend who moved from South Dublin to Ennis had never had sn opinion either way on travellers. She cant believe how anti christian she is towards them now but they have caused her a lot of grief.
    When I hear Pavee Point remind travellers to obey the laws of the land then I might get exercised about travellers being called names.
    I did note that one of the officials said the snti traveller sentiment has got worse since they got ethnic status, maybe that wasnt such a good idea after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭omega man

Absolutely guaranteed as day turns to night there’ll be a number of strategically placed members of the traveller community within the audience tonight. I hope Casey is prepared for a set up. Forewarned is forearmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

listermint wrote: »
    Yesterday the mods clarified that the thread was closed due to some posters not abiding by the charter.

But we are not here to question the moderators, we are here to discuss a subject matter.

We could return to normal service of you ganging up on posters but i guess we could just move on and discuss the subject at hand.

Or I dont know lets talk about my spelling and education, maybe were i grew up ?

A real adult discussion

Come off it, no one was ganging up on you. You were repeatedly posting nonsense and engaging with absolutely everyone who was calling you out on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

He's allowed to post again.
    If you have an issue tough report it.

I have no issue, just a simple suggestion. I won't be engaging with the poster again as it tends to go off topic and into nonsense land.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I bet tonight the talk will be all about travellers and racism and not about the social welfare state we have become. Once you work you pay for everything sure there's €50 to go into the doctor for 5 minutes. Lounge about all day I can go in and out whenever I want. It's crazy there are still over 82,000 who are 'umemployed' for over a year. You shouldn't be able to live on benefits, it should reduce over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I bet tonight the talk will be all about travellers and racism and not about the social welfare state we have become. Once you work you pay for everything sure there's €50 to go into the doctor for 5 minutes. Lounge about all day I can go in and out whenever I want. It's crazy there are still over 82,000 who are 'umemployed' for over a year. You shouldn't be able to live on benefits, it should reduce over time.

Maybe if people like Casey paid their taxes, there would be more money available too. But no, let's focus all our ire on those on social welfare.

Note that me saying this doesn't mean I'm okay with long term welfare or people gaming the system. But every time welfare criticism comes up, it always starts out with "x number of people are unemployed" (despite the fact the majority are genuinely looking for work) and "x billion is spent annually on welfare" (despite the fact the majority of this goes on pensions and other payments that have nothing to do with the unemployed).

Did Casey not pay his taxes? I've seen it mentioned a few times but nothing to back it up.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Come off it, no one was ganging up on you. You were repeatedly posting nonsense and engaging with absolutely everyone who was calling you out on it.

Can we get back on topic rather than going after individuals.

cheers

Responding to posters that quote you is what a forum is about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He is well able to speak for himself, and I cannot believe the amount of access he has been given on radio and TV. I heard him saying he is going to become leader of Fianna Fail and then Taoiseach. After winning a seat in Donegal which he seems to think is a shoo in. And as Taoiseach he will take Ireland into NATO.

He's clearly winding them up. Great craic.

Did Casey not pay his taxes? I've seen it mentioned a few times but nothing to back it up.

Casey is / was / is an american resident and pays his taxes there. Not here.

Its basic taxation. He has pretended that he is coming back to live, but who knows he has said alot of inaccuracies in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There's one on Virgin Media One now talking about introducing teaching traveller culture in schools. It's on the Elaine show so I won't br watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Heres the guys story. To be fair the clubs officers are backing him, so it seems very unlikely he is making it up.
    http://clarechampion.ie/travellers-racism/

That seems to have been real abuse and it shouldn't have happened.
    Unlike the kind Casey was accused of which wasn't abuse at all.

That seems to have been real abuse and it shouldn't have happened.
    Unlike the kind Casey was accused of which wasn't abuse at all.

Casey wasnt abusing anyone , he was however selling Air to get himself in the Papers.

Worked a charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

tretorn wrote: »
    Travellers are a huge problem in Clare.
    A friend who moved from South Dublin to Ennis had never had sn opinion either way on travellers. She cant believe how anti christian she is towards them now but they have caused her a lot of grief.
    When I hear Pavee Point remind travellers to obey the laws of the land then I might get exercised about travellers being called names.
    I did note that one of the officials said the snti traveller sentiment has got worse since they got ethnic status, maybe that wasnt such a good idea after all.

All the more reason (as well as societal equity) that halting sites should be placed in richer areas, particularly in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Anyway I’m a bit worried about a trip down the country this weekend what with all the fascism.

Is it safe, do you think?

Anyway I’m a bit worried about a trip down the country this weekend what with all the fascism.

I'd bring a hurl. Just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We're having a cross burning in Murphy's field tomorrow at 6pm.

You'd be more than welcome to attend Mr Von Peppercorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

listermint wrote: »
    Casey wasnt abusing anyone , he was however selling Air to get himself in the Papers.

Worked a charm.

The media were the ones who couldn't get over it and kept asking him questions on it. It's laughable to suggest it was him who wanted to keep harping on about travellers. It was entirely the media circus getting themselves into a frenzy over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Should be some fun on the Late Late tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Rich boy Barrett on ivan yates at the moment saying that Peter Casey shouldn't be given airtime on the late late tonight. The irony of the leader of a 1% party saying a 23% guy shouldn't get airtime

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

All the more reason (as well as societal equity) that halting sites should be placed in richer areas, particularly in Dublin.

Why are the government building halting sites?

Or why are they still bring "placed" anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

We're having a cross burning in Murphy's field tomorrow at 6pm.

That's a lie!

*Murphy's don't have a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

KevIRL wrote: »
    Rich boy Barrett on ivan yates at the moment saying that Peter Casey shouldn't be given airtime on the late late tonight. The irony of the leader of a 1% party saying a 23% guy shouldn't get airtime

And the funny thing is, even at his most unpopular he was on 2%!!!

You f###king idiot Barrett!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Some of these Guys must be on drugs ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭omega man

He was handed his arse by John McGuirk and listener texts. I enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

omega man wrote: »
    He was handed his arse by John McGuirk and listener texts. I enjoyed that.

NOooice one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The reason why travellers want to be recognised as an ‘ethnic minority’ has fcuk all to with their history or race. It’s about getting handouts. It’s an ‘entitlement minority’ which they actually should be classed as and not an an ‘ethnic minority’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There's a question I hope is placed tonight by someone, and hopefully someone can answer it legitimately. It was been referred to earlier, and got the typical (but not far from the truth) replies.

What constitutes a traveller? All I can find is 'traditionally itinerant ethnic group who maintain a set of traditions', but can't find what those traditions are. The Wiki article (the only place with a decent amount of information with references) also states 'Travellers have a distinctive approach to religion; the vast majority are practising Roman Catholics with particular attention paid to issues of healing.[49] They have been known to follow a strict code of behaviour that dictates some of their moral beliefs and influences their actions.'

So, all I can really gather is devout catholics with set traditions who are itinerant. Definition of itinerant: 'a person who travels from place to place.'

So now we have a position of a protected group who traditionally travel, but are now demanding permanent houses for free, and then refusing to move into them because there are no stables. Now, is there any other group in Ireland that gets this special treatment? As far as I can tell, travellers were well regarded and sought after back in the day, as they were called tinkers and lived up to the name: a person who makes a living by travelling from place to place mending pans and other metal utensils. They did just this, shoeing horses, etc. There's no need for that now, just like a lot of older jobs, but unlike other olde jobs, Travellers have not moved with the times. There is no need for their services or wares anymore. But they refuse to move with the times, still demanding they be left do what they do but still get everything for free.

Whya re we bulding halting sites? Why can't they pay like everyone else who wants to move around from place to place? Yes, years ago they could just shack up on the side of the road, but you can't do that anymore due to health and safety, and privacy/ownership rights. But they still do, and nothing can be done about it. If I parked a caravan on the side of the road, it wouldn't be long before I'm forced to move it. Because of the protected status of travellers, Gardai cannot just move them now, and need either a statement of complaint from the property owner (which some are reluctant to give as it could end up in court), or an order has to be received from the public owner (ie: Government bodies) to have them removed from public property. I know this, because that's what I used to have to do as a Garda.

I'm all for people living their lives the way they want. I'm one of them, living a highly different life from the social norms, but I don't demand any special treatment for it. I work, I pay taxes and have never been in trouble with the law. I don't expect handouts. Travellers however do. And maybe I'm being generalistic, but my experience, both personal and professional, has left me with the opinion that while most generalisations are the reflections of a few of the many, with Travellers it's usually the reflection of the many, not the few.

Again, let them lives their lives the way they want, but I'm sick of my tax money, your tax money, being used to pander to their wants, not their needs. We as a nation need to crack down on the illegal activities partaken by members of the Travelling community. Our society want them to change, we want them to integrate and no longer be a focal point of crime. But change has to be wanted from both sides, and it's certainly not wanted by the majority of travellers. And I can see why. Working a genuine job, paying taxes and contributing to society like the vast majority of working people does not pay as well as crime.

I've had travellers laugh in my face while we were conducting searches. They've gotten smarter and are able to hide their crimes, but have no problem letting you know in a round about way that they flaunt the law. For a group of people who don't work, they* always have the finest clothes, fancy cars, massive budget weddings and communions, and no apparent lack of income. It baffles the mind and leaves a lot of working people annoyed that they're breaking their balls to make ends meat.

Again, my view and opinions are just that, and are based from personal and professional experience. I've no doubt in my mind that there are 'good' travellers out there, but I've never once met 1 in my 9 professional years. In fact, every member in every traveller family that I have dealt with has had many run ins with AGS. SJW's won't be happy to read this, but it is 100% a fact of my own experience, believe it if you want or not.

A lot of people are simply fed up with the carry on of the most public travellers. Their crimes cannot be denied, their 'traditions' are at ends with the laws of this country, but we're letting it happen. It's time for Travellers to move with the times, but they refuse to and hide behind the ethnicity card. I'm sick of it, and it will take a lot of effort by travellers to make me change my mind. I wouldn't want to live near them, let alone next to them. Every halting site I've been to has been ruined, covered in rubbish, and usually having melted rubber smoke coming from them while they burn the rubber off the copper cabling they 'legitimately' purchased. They have no respect for animals, and their 'traditions' when it comes to marriage, fighting and children does not have a place in a modern society. We need to stop pandering to them and force them to adapt to a modern society, or just leave. That's how I feel. That's my opinion, and I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but I imagine i'm not the only one feeling like this.

Call me racist, I don't care. I don't deliberately go out of my way to let this be known, but if someone asks, this is what i say. Having an opinion is not racist. Trying to force that opinion on others or get them to change their ways is racist, and I don't do that. You cannot police my mind, only my actions, and my actions are not racist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement