Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Highest turnout so far (18% approx) is in the Ballinasloe rural area and it is predominately an older voter.

Does that mean the elderly that have been cowering under their beds have come out or is it the older vote for the status quo.

Interesting one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Highest turnout so far (18% approx) is in the Ballinasloe rural area and it is predominately an older voter.

Does that mean the elderly that have been cowering under their beds have come out or is it the older vote for the status quo.

Interesting one.

If you had better legs you could be the Boards.ie Kay Burley!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

Interesting one.

No. Most people are working for a living to pay the scroungers some dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

enricoh wrote: »
    The grannies think he's cute, some have invested heavily in tea cosies that bear his resemblance. He definitely has the granny vote in the bag! Unfortunately!
    G'wan the grannies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Just voted #1 for Casey.

Spoke to a guy who does tallies for every election and referendum and he reckons Casey will take a huge percentage of the rural vote, and Mickey D will be relying on the urban middle class to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Charlie Brooker once described her as grief vampire Kay Burley :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

Interesting one.

I’d say there’s very few votes for Casey in Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

#Sadnessinhiseyes.

What is boards.ie's obsession with my pins? :eek: Comment has been passed here in the real world on the elegance of said pins on a man of my years, I shall have you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Build a wall, build a wall, build a wall!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

The Shinners are going to feel embarrassed tomorrow when a virtual unknown in Casey with no political support easily defeats their party candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Posted this on the other election thread, but it may be relevant here also looking at some of the posts:

I must admit, and there may be others like me, but I am getting a bit of satisfaction (it might even be a bit perverse) that my vote today for Casey is going to drive some on here bonkers.
    I've noticed a number of posters on these threads that are almost exuding delirium due to the fact that those of us without a voice a government is now actually going to be able to get that voice heard.

There are Sinn Fein/ultra-liberals/leftists on here that believe Margaret Cash is a Joan-of-Arc type figure, that Erica Fleming should get triple-glazed windows, that Travellers are deserving of stables and a field with their free 300K-400K houses, that Ireland has a homeless problem worst than can be depicted by a Charles Dicken era workhouse, that there should be welfare for all who come to our country and do not want to work, and most of all they want those who work in Ireland to pay more taxes in order for the "entitled" to live as if they do work.

If Peter Casey gets more than 2% of the vote today, then I'll have a wry smile, as I know there will be heads exploding due a voice other than liberal/leftist being finally heard in this country. You never know, it might even start a political party that will address the concerns of Irish workers/contributors.

RTE and other Irish liberal media outlets will make up excuses for the Casey vote; they may even call us bigots and racists ................ BUT WE DON'T CARE.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Allinall wrote: »
    I’d say there’s very few votes for Casey in Ballinasloe.

Doesn't Ballinasloe have a fairly big traveller population?

Open to correction here, but I know there e does be a fairly big horse fair in the town.

Perhaps it's pro traveller votes?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

elperello wrote: »
    You don't really need Casey.
    If you have issues you feel need addressing continue to raise them.
    Nobody can put you back in your box.

Sadly I feel we did need someone to speak out and tell the truth about the lack of equality in this country. He did.

Heck, if all the Prez candidates bar Casey lied about living next to a halting site for fear of being called names, what chance do we have?

But I agree with you. When the next election rolls around I will be asking all the candidates if they agree with workers getting a euro in the budget and those not working getting a fiver (carers, pensioners and disabled excepted) + a bonus for not working. I will be interested in their answers.

The Traveller issue was one of equality. Nothing racist about that either.

What is boards.ie's obsession with my pins? :eek: Comment has been passed here in the real world on the elegance of said pins on a man of my years, I shall have you know!

I bet my Louboutin shoes that I’m eyeing up would look better with your pins than mine :(

On an even lighter note, I think anyone who is quids in after this election needs to club together to bring Francie to a boards meetup. Francie definitely deserves free beer for a night for the commitment he has given to this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lotsobear

When all the people coming home from work (the providing class) get to the polling stations this this evening Casey will get a huge surge of votes. The establishment will be sent a clear message that the ordinary decent person has had enough.

lotsobear wrote: »
    When all the people coming home from work (the providing class) get to the polling stations this this evening Casey will get a huge surge of votes. The establishment will be sent a clear message that the ordinary decent person has had enough.

Hope so. Unless on the Friday of the Bank Hol they are all heading somewhere other than their nearest polling station for the weekend and couldn't be bothered.

Nice timing and no up to date polls. Hmm.

gmisk wrote: »
    Charlie Brooker once described her as grief vampire Kay Burley :D

Oh spot on Mr B!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Kivaro wrote:
    RTE and other Irish liberal media outlets will make up excuses for the Casey vote; they may even call us bigots and racists ................ BUT WE DON'T CARE.

Lock her up, lock her up, lock her up!

I bet my Louboutin shoes that I’m eyeing up would look better with your pins than mine :(

On an even lighter note, I think anyone who is quids in after this election needs to club together to bring Francie to a boards meetup. Francie definitely deserves free beer for a night for the commitment he has given to this thread ;)

'Fill your boots Louboutin's', so to speak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Omackeral wrote: »
    I voted for SSM and to Repeal the 8th but am voting Casey. Where does that put me on your scale of absolutes?

Same here. I'll see you in hell buddy... What does hell look like for the liberals?
    Gravelly wrote: »
    You could generalise all day about the RCC, call catholics every name under the sun, and not one of the "progressives" on this thread would raise a squeak.

Do the same about travellers however.......

I never thought about it in this context, but it's so true.
    Normal people want it banned as it's dangerous, antisocial and cruel to the horses - they don't want it banned as "sure they'll do it anyway".

Hahaha, this is bang on. It's a cyclical problem. The travellers don't abide by the law because it's not applied to them, and because it's not applied to them, the Gardaí have no ability to enforce the law. And then that trickles down to all the state agencies. I was sitting in Mayo district court two years ago and as one of the travellers was being lead out in handcuffs by prison staff on fifteen serious allegations including assault, he whispered loudly to the Garda "You're a dirty f#cking pig, I'm going to f#ck you up and f#ck your widow" and spat on him. The Garda laughed - in reality, he could do nothing else. I don't know how I'd have dealt with that? I wonder how any of you would have responded to it? Imagine getting that treatment on a daily basis for doing your job. Disgusting.
    which is extremely rare. 99% of public figures after uttering an un-PC "gaffe" would have curled up in the foetal position and begged for forgiveness from the media intelligentsia. Casey doubled down - that is refreshing.

Yep, this is why he has my #1 vote. Nothing to do with any of the issues in particular.

'Fill your boots Louboutin's', so to speak?

:D

Size 5 measures only mind

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Actually not a fan of this candidate from the get go with his blatant bribery tactics but he hasn't actually been spouting the populist bull**** on a range of matters, this included. I haven't read the article, just the headlines but I do agree with the comment on 'ethnic status'. As I understand it, it was in fact granted about 6 months before genetic studies were concluded that Irish traveller origins are no different to the general Irish population. The only difference genetically points to a relatively recent split from the general Irish population in recent centuries. Some believe that is enough to support an 'ethnic status'.

A village that's been ridin the holes off one another for hundreds of years without outside influence would also deserve ethnic status. A sort of Irish Royston Vasey.

A village that's been ridin the holes off one another for hundreds of years without outside influence would also deserve ethnic status. A sort of Irish Royston Vasey.

I've got visions now of John Connors as Edward and Margaret Cash as Tubbs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Doesn't Ballinasloe have a fairly big traveller population?

Open to correction here, but I know there e does be a fairly big horse fair in the town.

Perhaps it's pro traveller votes?

I have many times over the years been to Ballinasloe, and have to say, it is like any other town , did not notice ,
    It has great book shops, hardware store, and cafes, because it is very close to the motorway that runs between Galway and Dublin at junction 15 for a couple hundred yds, handy to drop off for a break, and a bit of a walk around to exercise the pins. It is so central to every place also, Roscommon just up the road Galway city just down the road

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

I've seen FG members and supporters on Facebook saying they voted for Casey and with many likes under the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I've seen FG members and supporters on Facebook saying they voted for Casey and with many likes under the post.

Did they say they were Fine Gael members,
    I think a majority of people are more fluid now, they don't stay for life with one party because granny and daddy voted FF or FG they should carry on the tradition, it is more about policies than names now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Lol lads there is no way Casey is winning, just be happy that he might get number 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So youve seen an indication of nothing of substance......

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    Lol lads there is no way Casey is winning, just be happy that he might get number 2.

Nobody expects him to win at all really. but if he comes ahead of the other four candidates after MDH, well that would be good.

But sure who knows.

If the exit polls show he is last, or indeed not second, the meeja will have a field day, and back to PC 101 again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement