Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

If Casey said that, then he's wrong.

Leo is half Indian, half Irish. Irish mum and Indian dad.

He did, but Leo is born and bred Irish. Referring to him by his heritage is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

dav3 wrote: »
    Of course he's popular. He's going to romp home on the first count according to after hours.

David Norris would be President and Gerry Adams would be Taoiseach if AH polls decided things :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Where did he say that, show us the link, video, radio clip, whatever, before you attribute a comment to someone. Have seen some vague links to it earlier today but they have disappeared, so please link rather than make assertions

He told the Taoiseach to "shut [his] trap", went on to describe him as "being a member of an ethnic community himself" and "being Indian".

https://www.joe.ie/news/peter-casey-blasts-leo-varadkar-tells-shut-trap-response-taoiseachs-comments-645027

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Is ' “travellers are basically people camping in other people’s land” the truth or a generalisation?

its truth for the ones that do it and a generalization for the rest

Is it a truth or generalization that catholic priests are pedophiles or that they defend pedophiles ?

Is it a truth or generalization that all politicians are corrupt?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

AnneFrank wrote: »
    And he referred to Leo as the Indian, but I guess that's ok with you too ?

He didn’t, but don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story.

• Advertisement

That's just funny and as weak a 'get out' as I have seen here tbh.

Actually, part of the time frame of when this poll was conducted came after Casey`s comments so your statement is not completely true

Ok. How long was the poll conducted after Casey’s comments, and I never said this was not the case did I?

Is it a truth or generalization that catholic priests are pedophiles or that they defend pedophiles ?

Lol 😂 waffle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Gatling wrote: »
    I don't want to see Casey become president ,

I want him as Taoiseach

Someone finally standing up and calling it as it is ,
    Have had enough of the pc intoleranly offended brigade

Toaiseach would be a better role for him.
    he knows how hard it is to get to where he has got, and will appreciate the self employed more than most as all of our heads have been in a profession that was not the self employed route
    He is well travelled and has worked abroad, he was also involved in the good Friday, and is not afraid to call, a spade a spade

tom1ie wrote: »
    Ok. How long was the poll conducted after Casey’s comments, and I never said this was not the case did I?

Up until the day before his interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

464280.jpg

Aw, a funny meme, I love it. Listen to this kid guys, he's got his finger on the pulse.

Just as well Casey will be sweeping to power with 90% of the first vote, according to the interwebs.

He didn’t, but don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Oh he did. He's an embarrassment. It's why he has no chance.

That's just funny and as weak a 'get out' as I have seen here tbh.

Thanks Francie :D

Oh he did. He's an embarrassment. It's why he has no chance.

He might be an embarrassment for you, but not for a lot of other people I’ve talked to and seen posting on social media. The fact is people are tired of paying half their wages over to the government only to find that tax has been wasted through bad spending practices and the constant grabbing tactics of the people that have never contributed to this economy.
    This anger is going to manifest its way somehow and that will be the high vote (not necessarily the election of) people will give Peter Casey.

His letter has been on Twitter for a few hours now and has gotten 146 likes.

Not seeing it for Peter. I can see why Paddy Power moved him out to 80/1

He did, but Leo is born and bred Irish. Referring to him by his heritage is shocking.

You need to read up a bit before displaying your faux shock and horror, Leo played the immigrant parent/Indian immigrant card as part of his acceptance speech and also played the first gay leader one as well, so make sure when you are getting indigent with comments and trying to make certain posters or presidential candidates look racist, that the person they directed the innocuous comments at are really bothered and had not used similar comments to gain leverage/advantage for themselves in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Is ' “travellers are basically people camping in other people’s land” the truth or a generalisation?

He was wrong to state that.

He seems to have omitted the word "some" or "a large swathe of".

You seen all the concrete giant Lego pieces that are blighting the countryside of late?

Any idea what purpose they're serving Francie?

I'm not offering prizes for the correct answer btw. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Oh, and Casey is right: Travellers are genetically Irish. They are not a different ethnicity. Here's a link to some research on the topic:

The research shows small but significant differences in the genomes of Irish Travellers and those of the settled population. It provides evidence, suggested by previous studies, that the genes of Irish Travellers are closer to the settled Irish population at a genetic level, as opposed to the common misconception that Travellers are a hybrid population of settled Irish and European Roma. The genetic distance that exists between Travellers and the settled population can be attributed to genetic drift, brought on by hundreds of years of genetic isolation combined with a decreasing population size.

With the genetic drift occurring due to Consanguineous marriages and population isolation, paper says.

http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?n=145&p=107&a=10373

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep42187

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

We aren't all working on this full time.

+1 from me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

You need to read up a bit before displaying your faux shock and horror, Leo played the immigrant parent/Indian immigrant card as part of his acceptance speech and also played the first gay leader one as well, so make sure when you are getting indigent with comments and trying to make certain posters or presidential candidates look racist, that the person they directed the innocuous comments at are really bothered and had not used similar comments to gain leverage/advantage for themselves in the first place

You are correct, I remember it

• Advertisement

He was wrong to st that.

He omitted the word "some".

You seen all the concrete giant Lego pieces that are blighting the countryside of late?

Any idea what purpose they're serving Francie?

I'm not offering prizes for the correct answer btw. :D

Fair enough if you want to handwave it away Johnny. Not able to underscore or support bigotry or bias myself, even if it is for the 'craic'. Too dangerous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

He might be an embarrassment for you, but not for a lot of other people I’ve talked to and seen posting on social media. The fact is people are tired of paying half their wages over to the government only to find that tax has been wasted through bad spending practices and the constant grabbing tactics of the people that have never contributed to this economy.
    This anger is going to manifest its way somehow and that will be the high vote (not necessarily the election of) people will give Peter Casey.

What is your definition of a high vote? He might at best get 8-9% first preferences on election day. Not what I would consider a high vote (though anything above his current low ranking would be an improvement.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Not seeing it for Peter. I can see why Paddy Power moved him out to 80/1

Im sure if my 80 year old mother was on Twitter, she'd like it. On the phone to her a while ago, asked who she's voting for , got a "you wont like it, but I'm voting for the Casey man"
    She was surprised I was as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

In an ideal world, those dirty animals would be hanged and disposed of in a slurry tank.:(
    Mod note: CinemaGuy45, don't post in this thread again,

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fair enough if you want to handwave it away Johnny. Not able to underscore or support bigotry or bias myself, even if it is for the 'craic'. Too dangerous.

Well as you're not going to answer I'll tell you, they're there to try and protect land that has been previously used as an illegal campsite by folk, and try and prevent them from regaining access.

Stating it is not bigotry, bigotry in this instance is the new word to hide behind when awkward truths are pointed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

In all honesty, would you honestly buy drugs, from a guy smelling like a bonfire, married to his cousin and stinking of urine out the back of the halting site? or would you rather buy them from a hard working unlicensed independent pharmaceutical, who pays his protection to the IRA and was honest enough not to apply Forbairt for an EU start up grant for new small businesses.

This is how Government should help small business rather than the Traveller cartels.
    Mod note: skooterblue2, don't post in this thread again,

Buford T. Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Fair play to him for speaking his mind and saying what too many people are afraid to.

Travellers are NOT an ethnic minority. It is simply a way of life that has no place whatsoever in the modern world. But instead of healthy debate, we’re subjected to Pavee Point propaganda and the unchecked ranting of people like John Connors.

The discussion should be about ways in which to protect Traveller children, fully settle and integrate Travellers into normal society, and the total elimination of the Traveller way of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Realistically I don't know how many votes this will win Casey but it's got a conversation going that before this people were often afraid to speak about and one that was never mentioned in the liberal media.

He's getting my no. 1 anyway and hopefully more voters will do the same to send a message to that working people are sick of supporting work shy scroungers.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Calling Travellers an ethnic minority is analagous to me dressing up as Captain Jack Sparrow, hijacking the Irish Ferries Ulysses, and demanding that pirates be recognised as an ethnic minority. Casey is right; they’re just Irish people behaving in a way that is completely unacceptable in a modern society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Fair play to him for speaking his mind and saying what too many people are afraid to.

Travellers are NOT an ethnic minority.

In Ireland they are.

Casey: “You know, I was surprised beyond belief. I thought we’d got way beyond this. I didn’t even realise that there had been this law passed last year giving special ethnic status to…”

Lawlor: “You didn’t know that Travellers were recognised in Irish law? Under Irish law?”

Casey: “I didn’t. I hadn’t realised that.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/q-a-what-does-ethnic-recognition-mean-for-irish-travellers-1.2993526

What does ethnicity mean?

Defined as belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition, ethnicity is not the same as nationality or place of birth. Your ethnicity or cultural background means the group you descended from. An ethnic group is made up by people who share certain characteristics such as culture, language, religion and traditions.

Who are the Irish Traveller community?

Research carried out in 2010 research found there were 36,224 Travellers in the Republic and 3,905 in Northern Ireland. Some 2,700 Travellers did not have access to running water, according to the All Ireland Traveller Health Study carried out in the same year and the Traveller suicide rate is six times the national average for men and women.

A study carried out by the Royal College of Surgeons and the University of Edinburgh revealed last month that that Irish Travellers emerged as a distinct ethnic group long before the Great Famine. The study found that while Travellers originally descended from the general Irish population, they are now very distinct from it.

The research suggests that Traveller origins may in fact date as far back as 420 years to 1597, while the author of the study said travellers are today more genetically different from the settled Irish as are the Spanish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement