Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

2 million expected along the route for the parade tomorrow. That would be insane...think i might stay away! :)

2 million expected along the route for the parade tomorrow. That would be insane...think i might stay away! :)

It is crazy! I just walked some of the downtown route this evening to see how preparations were going. Nathan Phillips square was already half full at about 10:30pm!

I work pretty closet University and Adelaide. I am planning to follow the parade on tv and then pop down to University when they are getting closer. I doubt I will even get close to the street to catch so much as a glimpse of them but I will give it a go! Just to be out and about in a crowd of that size is going to be an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Bit of nothing comment here but my father was born in Toronto, moved back to Ireland when he was 2.

Died 3 years ago at 58 with Bowel cancer. Followed Toronto at all major North American sports (though mainly hockey), would have been great to have watched this with him. Always feel an affinity when I see Toronto do well.

Never actually been there (or Canada), people appear to have mixed opinions on it, but I'd love to go there to see the street he and my grandparents lived in.

Wow, that reminds me of a good friend of mine from college days. I’ve just sent you a message.

This series brought Canada together like no other team has since I arrived here in ‘86. The nearest experience was the Blue Jays World Series wins but I don’t think there was the same depth of support across the country. I just couldn’t believe the Raptors would pull through against the silky skills of Curry and Thompson. Somehow they ground out a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    I read the SI piece.

What small market teams have suffered detrimentally from superstars or simply stars in recent years pushing hard for trades?

The info we're fed is pretty diluted and asymmetric though. We get to see the players as these villains who are failing to commit and not honouring deals yet I suspect a lot of promises are made to superstars about the direction of teams that arent fulfilled either.

I think it happens in all sports where if players are unhappy they push to be traded but it seems to be blown out of proportion in the NBA.
    Perhaps that's due to the value 1 player can add to a team's ability to win over and above most other team sports but I just cant recall too many franchises being set back particularly far because a player dug the heels in.

You should really read the Holmes piece to get an insight into the mindset and the collateral damage their actions caused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

You should really read the Holmes piece to get an insight into the mindset and the collateral damage their actions caused.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26821790/lakers-20-failed-reboot-nba-crown-jewel

Is this the article you're referring to?

It is crazy! I just walked some of the downtown route this evening to see how preparations were going. Nathan Phillips square was already half full at about 10:30pm!

I work pretty closet University and Adelaide. I am planning to follow the parade on tv and then pop down to University when they are getting closer. I doubt I will even get close to the street to catch so much as a glimpse of them but I will give it a go! Just to be out and about in a crowd of that size is going to be an experience.

That's cool. I live a couple hours west but the company I work for is based right downtown. they are letting everyone off (probably a couple thousand staff) for the parade.
    enjoy it man!

This parade is incredible. Even to watch on TV, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it in my life. As a human, it has to have some influence on Kawhi's decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

This parade is incredible. Even to watch on TV, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it in my life. As a human, it has to have some influence on Kawhi's decision.

If only Kawhi was human :pac:

Angliru wrote: »
    If only Kawhi was human :pac:

lol! well played

• Advertisement

lol! well played

To be fair between the hilarious dancing after the game with the goggles and champagne, the emotion he showed at the buzzer and the snippets of the interview with Lowry and the Ibaka video yesterday where he says "what it do babyyyyyyyyyy" Kawhi is showing that in his own select time and company he is completely normal. I think he's ingrained a focused mindset and abhors media obligations and just says the same rehashed answers to get them off his back. His time around Duncan, Pop and the Spurs no doubt has helped him a lot in that regard. If I had a euro every time Kawhi says "like I said" and "help the team win" I'd be on a salary a rookie wouldn't turn their nose up to.

If Kawhi does leave this season then he probably gets a retired number, maybe even a statue and the documentary about his season is going to be insane. What a year.

Angliru wrote: »
    To be fair between the hilarious dancing after the game with the goggles and champagne, the emotion he showed at the buzzer and the snippets of the interview with Lowry and the Ibaka video yesterday where he says "what it do babyyyyyyyyyy" Kawhi is showing that in his own select time and company he is completely normal. I think he's ingrained a focused mindset and abhors media obligations and just says the same rehashed answers to get them off his back. His time around Duncan, Pop and the Spurs no doubt has helped him a lot in that regard. If I had a euro every time Kawhi says "like I said" and "help the team win" I'd be on a salary a rookie wouldn't turn their nose up to.

If Kawhi does leave this season then he probably gets a retired number, maybe even a statue and the documentary about his season is going to be insane. What a year.

Oh yeah, he's got some personality for sure, just doesn't like all the limelight. don't think he even has a social media account.
    But, stay or go, he is ingrained in the hearts of Canadians forever now.

This is insane! supposed to be at the square 2 hours ago and are only on final approach now! Players must be starving! Once they get there they have more speeches, the jet flyover, other rally stuff and Drake is playing 4 songs apparently and it is pretty hot out there.

This is insane! supposed to be at the square 2 hours ago and are only on final approach now! Players must be starving! Once they get there they have more speeches, the jet flyover, other rally stuff and Drake is playing 4 songs apparently and it is pretty hot out there.

mad. I havent done a jot of work all day! You out on the streets?

mad. I havent done a jot of work all day! You out on the streets?

nah, I popped out and walked up and down university for about 45 minutes but headed back to the office. They have the coverage on a big projector and everyone is watching. Definitely very little work being done!

Lets hope the Leafs can absorb some of this positive energy.

the warriors took out a full page ad congratulating the raptors in the toronto star...thats a touch of class.

Kawhi mocking his own laugh on stage was the best moment of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

the warriors took out a full page ad congratulating the raptors in the toronto star...thats a touch of class.

Kawhi mocking his own laugh on stage was the best moment of the day!

Or a very cynical marketing ploy hoping people will buy into the warriors are such a classy franchise and they gain more support i.e. money because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Or a very cynical marketing ploy hoping people will buy into the warriors are such a classy franchise and they gain more support i.e. money because of it.

Affs stop would ya

I suspect the Warriors marketing team can come up with something a tad more far reaching than a one page ad in a Canadian newspaper to drum up some support.

Given they're probably the fast growing fan base of the past 5 years theyre probably not too hard pressed for support, one poster here constantly selling above RRP for his tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Affs stop would ya

It's worked already, one poster here has fell for it.:D

Personally I don't believe that a single public utterance is 100% genuine anymore.

I remember Adrian Wojnarowski on ESPN saying that the reason they have those tribute video's for former players is as much about convincing other players in the league this is a classy franchise where you'll be respected rather than being a genuine tribute to a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'm a marketing guy and I'll tell you with 100% certainty: it's not one way or the other, it's both.

A decision like this would have to come from, or at least run through, marketing, because they'd be the people who'd liaise with the media on a day-to-day basis and have to come up with the copy for the ad, how it would look etc. It's their job to channel the culture of the club and spin it in a way which best connects with the public because sport is, ultimately, a business and its consumers are fans.

But you also know it's genuine sentiment for the simple reason that if the Warriors' top brass were walking around in an absolute pisser all week at the misfortune of losing their title, and all the subsequent benefits of that, due to injuries then you can bet your arse a scrub from marketing isn't knocking on their door and pitching them this. So while, yes, it is a business, it's a business filled with people who work crazy hard and out-of-hours (think about it: the person who runs the social media, for example, had to stay up til midnight tweeting while their employer lost last Thursday) because they all love basketball. You don't work that hard for something you're not genuinely passionate about.

So it is for business, yes, but it's also done out of love. Both things can be true at the same time.

Final game is being shown again now on sky sports action

What do the more knowledgeable folks on here think about pascal siakam, was this his first full season with Toronto, I like what little I've seen of him and think he could become a serious player down the line

That Kawhi laugh at the end is the greatest end to a season ever. Man literally had the last ****ing laugh.

What do the more knowledgeable folks on here think about pascal siakam, was this his first full season with Toronto, I like what little I've seen of him and think he could become a serious player down the line

I've watched his progress the last couple years and he continues to get better. Some times looks a bit unorthodox but i think thats because of his rangy frame. Fred van vleet and anunoby will continue to get better too. Bright young players

Dont know about more knowledgeable but I've shared some thoughts on him before, my pros & cons on him would be

Pros:

Prototypical long wing who can switch in the modern NBA, guards 3-4 shots

Vast improved shot from FT to 3pt line

Very much improved passer.

Overall elite 1vs1 defender

Great impact via a wide variety of metrics, raw number dont do him justice.

Cons:

Hes 25 and only 3 years in the league which is good and bad. Questions around ceiling.

Inability to create off the dribble, generally early transition offense or spot up 3s.

Looks a tad lost in coverage at times just lacks some anticipation at times.

Lacks of strength down in the block.

Overall, he's excellent and vastly improved. Big year coming up for him especially if Kawhi heads on.
    I see him as poor man's Giannis.

Yea he does remind me of giannis alright, not quite as polished yet though, nxt year could be a big year for him

I had a post ready assuming the article i mentioned afterwards was correct but a similar sentiment is echoed here:
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/NBADraftplayerspotlight26972005/let-zion-williamson-choose-where-wants-play-next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Windhorst starting the annual "Cavs want to trade Love" talk, a few teams that'd want him but I can't see the Cavs getting much for him considering his age/injuries/contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement