Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

I’m not disagreeing and yes they are different, my point being with Leonard, who knows? We have so little insight into what he’s really like, do we really know if he’ll actually be happy in LA? We’re all guessing tbh. I’d guess he wouldn’t want to be near the Lakers media circus, but it’s just a guess. It’s a moot point as he isn’t taking less than a max anywhere and the Lakers can’t offer that, but all things bring equal I’d guess (that word again) he wouldn’t want to be there.

No different to any other player and how likely they are to be happy but he has made it know if reports are to be believed that he wants LA.
    That's where he is from so I suspect he feels it's the most likely place to make him his happiest.

Additionally, Ive never got the impression that Kawhi is an unhappy or sulky player. He's just quite introverted, pretty controlled, overall seems very content any time he speaks imo. It's more a case of happier vs happy.

I agree I dont think anyone that big wants the LBJ show in the Lakers though I suspect he'd take less to make it work if he really wanted it. Not a fan of players taking less anyway but that's a different debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Mad I didn’t hear he was in. In the very late 80s - pre mobile phones/internet etc. John Stockton was here and everyone and anyone in basketball circles knew about it pretty much through word of mouth. It’s smazing that we have an NBA player in the country and not one national media outlet covers it. Shows once again what a minority sport it is here. Sigh.

Did you meet Baynes?

No, I didn't even know about it either till I saw a video on Facebook, was all very hush hush, I heard he was on holiday and someone local who's friends with his family just organised a few local kids from underage teams to meet him and have a bit of a play around, I'd say he probably didn't want to make a big thing of it which is fair enough if he was on hols

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kawhi opting out, per Haynes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

He was never going to opt in.

I wonder if the potentially career altering injuries of Klay & KD would factor into his thinking at all?

I was somewhat being swayed by the 1+1 idea but I just wonder whether he'd prefer to lock into a 5 year deal elsewhere as a safety net?

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    He was never going to opt in.

Agreed, the story Haynes wrote indicates that he is “seriously considering” the Raptors. But he’s also arranging visits, which has never been a good sign for the incumbent team in FA.

If locking in the most money right now is the concern then the Raptors can give him the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    I wonder if the potentially career altering injuries of Klay & KD would factor into his thinking at all?

I was somewhat being swayed by the 1+1 idea but I just wonder whether he'd prefer to lock into a 5 year deal elsewhere as a safety net?

With his injury profile and history he’d be daft not to consider it at least.

French International and former Raptor and Spurs player Nando DeColo wants to return to the NBA from CSKA Moscow. He’s seriously good - not All Star level or anything like that, but would be a help to a contender. Always liked his game, and the way the league has gone in recent years it probably suits him more now than it did a few years ago when he was actually in the league. On the other hand he’s 32, so might be a little late for him.

French International and former Raptor and Spurs player Nando DeColo wants to return to the NBA from CSKA Moscow. He’s seriously good - not All Star level or anything like that, but would be a help to a contender. Always liked his game, and the way the league has gone in recent years it probably suits him more now than it did a few years ago when he was actually in the league. On the other hand he’s 32, so might be a little late for him.

Milos Tedosivc said recently he wishes he came earlier. I know DeColo was there before but it was short. I think late arriving euro guards look great at times on offensive but are complete liabilities defensively. A newly arrived 32year old seems like the type of guy to get eaten alive on the defensive end.

Milos Tedosivc said recently he wishes he came earlier. I know DeColo was there before but it was short. I think late arriving euro guards look great at times on offensive but are complete liabilities defensively. A newly arrived 32year old seems like the type of guy to get eaten alive on the defensive end.

Teodosic came too late no doubt, he was and still is smoking (laughably) and apparently “likes a drink” too - somewhat bizarre for a professional athlete these days but there you go.

That said, he’s nowehere near as athletic as DeColo who is lean and explosive, can dunk for fun and run like a rabbit. He’s no defensive stopper for sure, but he won’t be a massive liability either. DeColo is a “young” 32, Milos looked old in his 20s.

One of my biggest EuroLeague-players-not-going-to-the-NBA regrets however is Theo Papaloukas. One of my Top 5 favourite all time players. Sad to see he never went despite lots of courting. He was a teammate of Trajan Langdon who I mentioned recently on here in CSKA. I saw Theo play in the flesh a few times, guy was a genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Vegas has the Raptors as -225 favourites now to re-sign Kawhi.

Also, Raptors extended QOs to De Colo and McCaw, so they're RFAs and Toronto can match any offer sheet they receive.

Legion. wrote: »
    Vegas has the Raptors as -225 favourites now to re-sign Kawhi.

Also, Raptors extended QOs to De Colo and McCaw, so they're RFAs and Toronto can match any offer sheet they receive.

That's surprising, if you asked me a fortnight ago, I was in the no way is he staying camp but I've certainly adjusted that as I've mentioned over the past week or so.

I suspect a 1+1 is the overwhelmingly most likely scenario unless he genuinely loves Toronto. Anything beyond 1+1 unless he plans to stay for his career doesn't make much sense. Too many unknowns with various Raptors contracts.

Hope he stays Raptors deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

He's gone. It's over. Finally.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1143244996046282752
    Portland is trading Evan Turner to Atlanta for Kent Bazemore, league source tells ESPN.

What are Atlanta doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Siakam wins most improved player...as expected by the end of the year i suppose but nice recognition for his season. Seems like a genuinely nice guy and cool to see a fella come from cameroon and reach these heights.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What are Atlanta doing?

Same contract so much of a muchness from cap space perspective and tbf, Turner is more talented than Bazemore so if you get him fit/engaged he can be valuable.

Perhaps it's a situation where both teams can win.

He really is one of the good guys it seems:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Totally agree, zero need for that but I think the sentiment is largely right imo.

I think Giannis won this year but I do think Stephs first and Westbrooks triple double year should have Hardens.

Excuse the post season where he has deserved criticism, he's definitely been the best regular season player of the past 5 years and should have multiple MVPs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Ah it is petty but it’s also way more fun that they got salty, they’re supporting their guy and making an interesting talking point. It’s also fair game it’s an ultimately meaningless sports award that exists only for conversations like this. Giannis winning while Houston get pissy on James Harden’s behalf seems like a fair end result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Glad anyone but Harden gets MVP tbh. Hate his style of play. Fair play, he's found exploits and he's maximising on it but I can't warm to it.

leggo wrote: »
    Ah it is petty but it’s also way more fun that they got salty, they’re supporting their guy and making an interesting talking point. It’s also fair game it’s an ultimately meaningless sports award that exists only for conversations like this. Giannis winning while Houston get pissy on James Harden’s behalf seems like a fair end result.

MVP is meaningless?

Come on now, winning an MVP is not meaningless, similar to winning a Ballon D'or. Its the highest individual honour in the sport.
    I'm all about championships in a team event and largely they supersede MVP, see Kobe, Kawhi & Shaq as examples of superstars who either never won or didnt win as many as their talent deserved but it's a massive stretch to call them meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

MVP is meaningless?

Come on now, winning an MVP is not meaningless, similar to winning a Ballon D'or. Its the highest individual honour in the sport.
    I'm all about championships in a team event and largely they supersede MVP, see Kobe, Kawhi & Shaq as examples of superstars who either never won or didnt win as many as their talent deserved but it's a massive stretch to call them meaningless.

Except the Ballon D'or doesn't exclude the games that really matter, MVP in the NBA does.

Pathetic and embarrassing, but totally on brand for Houston. Hope they get hammered for this.

What are Atlanta doing?

My guess is that Bazemore wasn't going to play more than 10-15 minutes a game next season because they want to give all their minutes to youth and they felt bad about doing that to him because he's been such a servant to them, especially in a contract year. So they gave him an out, it doesn't matter whether you've got Turner or Bazemore when they're not going to be playing anyway.

Except the Ballon D'or doesn't exclude the games that really matter, MVP in the NBA does.

That's true, the Ballon D'or also has it's flaws -namely calender year vs season- though admittedly not as glaring as MVP.

It doesn't make MVP meaningless though, players still value it.

I suspect Ballon D'or is more similar to the MVP than trying to justify the discrepancy in women's bball salaries as fine because they earn more money modelling than their male counterparts.

Every argument has flaws Is suppose :rolleyes:

God the Rockets are on one today, first that embarrassing tweet and now PJ Tucker complaining about Gobert winning DPOY, surely he doesn't think he deserved it over him???

eKoJh5E.jpg

The NBA regular season is a largely irrelevant grind. The Finals MVP is the trophy that has real value imo.

As it is, Harden was clearly enough the best player of the regular season.

The NBA regular season is a largely irrelevant grind. The Finals MVP is the trophy that has real value imo.

As it is, Harden was clearly enough the best player of the regular season.

Then it should be open to a player who is the best in a given playoffs but that's not really the case.
    Kawhi this season was comfortably the finals MVP but LBJ has shown to be the best player in a number of series but he will never get it.

IMO you can't assume a finals MVP is more prestigious if the only person who can win it comes from the winning team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Then it should be open to a player who is the best in a given playoffs but that's not really the case.
    Kawhi this season was comfortably the finals MVP but LBJ has shown to be the best player in a number of series but he will never get it.

IMO you can't assume a finals MVP is more prestigious if the only person who can win it comes from the winning team.

Basketball is much less a team sport than most other team sports are, one player in basketball can have a much greater impact on proceedings than a great player in soccer,rugby,cricket,baseball etc can.Therefore the real value of a great player in basketball is leading teams to wins when it matters rather than putting up consistent performances across a whole season. Lebron James has proven this as he's spent a decent part of his career just coasting through the regular season.

It's been clear for a few years now that teams aren't really taking the regular season that seriously and are saving themselves for the post season so the regular season being the basis for the MVP is not as big a deal as winning the finals MVP is in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement