Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Bride/Groom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I don't think anyone knows for sure...!

But the hotel's position is a prudent one. Their view is that the wedding needs to finish up in or around 11.30pm, which seems to tally with the Failte Ireland documents released last week.

Iv heard of the resident bar thing happing but not sure how legal it was,

Are the Failte Ireland documents just guidelines and not actually legal requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Iv heard of the resident bar thing happing but not sure how legal it was,

Are the Failte Ireland documents just guidelines and not actually legal requirements

AFAIK, the Failte Ireland documents are industry guidelines.

I would venture to say the 11.30pm cut off is moving into the legal requirement.

I do not think our hotel is the type to risk bad press after Clifden / Berlin D2 by moving us to the res bar to try get around the 11.30pm cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Would I be right in saying the rule of 1130pm just applies to function rooms ?
    So if you had a residents bar a hotel could technically move furniture out and let you stay on there as long as you like and have the DJ ,

I've stayed in a couple of hotels recently (not at weddings) and the bar in all cases was closed at 11.30 with no residents bar available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Alkers wrote: »
    I've stayed in a couple of hotels recently (not at weddings) and the bar in all cases was closed at 11.30 with no residents bar available.

We were in a hotel at the weekend. There was a group (about 16) singing and dancing in the conservatory section of the bar (could see it from our room). At 11.30 it all stopped!

Yip, so my understanding of having to wrap at 11.30pm is not out of order. Therefore, I do not think we were out of place to suggest a price alteration since we will be wrapping by 11.30pm as opposed to the usual 2-2.30am. If I do 3 hours less work, I would accept three hours less pay so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

We're an early October wedding, a few things up in the air at the moment still as our hotel are essentially telling us that whatever government maximum numbers on the day, they will hold us to that as our contractual minimum numbers, so we can't really commit one way or another to cutting or keeping our guestlist and we're only five weeks out. Fortunately our guests are very understanding.

It's the not knowing that is causing us more stress than any specific number being put on it.

The DJ we had hired was part of the band and we had them booked to play a full set and close the night out with the DJ set. We didn't have to contact them, as soon as the 11:30pm curfew was announced, they got in touch with us and asked us what arrangements would suit best to maximise the time they could play for, and offered to cancel the charge for the DJ side of things. They also offered without any prompting or hinting from us to play as a three piece at a reduced fee, though we have opted against this.

We've been told very clearly that 11:30pm is a firm curfew, bar closing at 11pm, finish up and out for 11:30pm, no residents bar. Despite the issue around the numbers, our hotel are doing their best to be flexible and helping us, but they're not taking any risks when it comes to the guidelines they've been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

How has everyone's DJs/entertainment been handling the 11.30pm cut off & the instructions to not explicitly encourage dancing etc? We reached out to our DJ last week and he came back a little unhelpful. Trying to gauge which side of this are being unreasonable - us or them.

We passed on the message from the hotel re the 11.30pm cut off, and that they specifically asked that we tell the DJ not to encourage dancing. I think that's reasonable and more just to cover themselves.

We also asked could we review the price, since he'll be wrapping at 11.30pm as opposed to 2-2.30am and he flat out refused. We didn't put out a percentage or an amount - just put it out there since there will be three hours less work on the night and he just said no.

We both came away feeling a little down from the email.

I think it is very unreasonable for the DJ to charge the full amount under the circumstances seeing that it is less than half the regular playing time. I know the curfew is not his fault, but neither is it your's, and out of goodwill, there should be some discount offered.

Just my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭customrifle

After all the drama of the last few months, with the hopes of getting to the 100 number to be then told 50 was maximum, then the 11.30 curfew, then the facemasks.....our day arrived Tuesday and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it.
    We started an hour earlier to accommodate everything, ceremony @ 2, dinner @ 5, band @ 8.30 to finish. I thought with just having 46 guests the band would be background noise but most guests were on the dancefloor and all raved about the band from late teens to 90 year old grandmother.
    The venue is private but still had to adhere to the 11.30 curfew but the staff were fantastic, the grounds beautiful and the day memorable for all the right reasons instead of the disappointment we were expecting.
    Also it didn't feel like we had a small crowd, we got to mingle with all the guest and everyone has been raving about the day from how nice the venue was to the good food and great music.
    Also have to commend the band on how professional they were on not only getting people on the floor, to the fact we had paid for everything in full months ago and they were also providing the DJ service and as that wasn't going ahead they had an envelope with the cost of that service to be returned to us.
    We also got very lucky with a fantastic ceremony musician that everyone praised.
    The times might be strange, the guest numbers reduced but if you can, have your day and you will enjoy it

Are there any reliable indications of weddings etc in the forthcoming plan, or do we just have to hold out till Monday to see?

We are set for 3 October, and we are finally starting to feel excited and hopeful! Can't wait for the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Are there any reliable indications of weddings etc in the forthcoming plan, or do we just have to hold out till Monday to see?

We are set for 3 October, and we are finally starting to feel excited and hopeful! Can't wait for the day.

Often plans are leaked beforehand, but I haven't heard anything about weddings yet. I reckon we'll need to wait until next week to hear anything concrete.

• Advertisement

woodchuck wrote: »
    Often plans are leaked beforehand, but I haven't heard anything about weddings yet. I reckon we'll need to wait until next week to hear anything concrete.

Agreed. I would have thought any leaks re weddings etc would be out by now. It seems that the plan is relatively watertight for now.

The commentary from NPHET et al is worrying me - with their line of commentary more of less: avoid social gatherings. Whilst not outright banning them, it sounds like they would like to do that...

Have friends who's big day is next Saturday
    I feel so sorry for them because between today and next Friday god knows what going to happen ,

The plug could be pulled the day before depending how this weekend and next weeks numbers go ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

The consensus seems to be that there'll be a further announcement on Tuesday, but I'd say it will focus on gatherings in people's houses. I hope so - we've already had to tell the partners of 4 family members that they have to wait outside the registry office while the ceremony takes place!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

I presume there's no chance there will be any loosening of the 50? Even if it was just 50 guests not including floor staff it would give a little breathing space. Some uncomfortable calls to make as it stands

strawdog wrote: »
    I presume there's no chance there will be any loosening of the 50? Even if it was just 50 guests not including floor staff it would give a little breathing space. Some uncomfortable calls to make as it stands

I wouldn't imagine so given the recent infection rates.

Weddings will remain at 50 people, so long as we are at Level 2.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/18e18-level-2/

It increases to 100 with Level 1, and drops to 25 (Level 3) and 6 (Levels 4 & 5).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

It increases to 100 with Level 1, and drops to 25 (Level 3) and 6 (Levels 4 & 5).

Very sketchy on details as usual...

Our hotel has been telling us that live music won't be allowed (we're just looking for someone on guitar in the corner)

However, this latest plan doesn't mention it. The synopsis of Level 2 for hotels mentions 'noise controls', with no explanation except a link to Failte Ireland guidelines. Within there I can't find any reference to music or noise?

Anyone point me in the right direction?

It's incredibly frustrating waiting for this update today and then just hearing them waffle with no detail..

The full government plan is here:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e5175-resilience-and-recovery-2020-2021-plan-for-living-with-covid-19/

The Failte guidelines are here:
    https://covid19.failteireland.ie/industry-updates/guidelines-for-re-opening-published/

I assume the Failte Ireland guidelines will need to be updated further though (e.g. it still refers to weddings of 50 people, but that will depend on what level we're in). I haven't seen anything about music not being allowed, but I have heard of numerous people being told this by their venues. From what I can tell, any decision by the venues not to have music seems to be their own policy and not based on any guidelines by either the government or Failte Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

We got married at the start of September. Absolutely delighted with how the day went despite the restrictions and late upheaval following the Clifden saga. Our ceremony was at the hotel, and we moved it forward to 1pm, followed by dinner at 4, and band/DJ from 7-11. Our band, who also did DJ, were super helpful and accomodating, and insisted on a reduced rate. We had just 45 guests (including ourselves) so were expecting a quite dancefloor but apart from the usual lull during the first hour of the band, the dancefloor was very busy for the night.

I'm so glad we pushed ahead with this year (we had a back-up date for next May). Everyone who was there really enjoyed it - people haven't been anywhere in months so there was plenty of enthusiasm for a day out! Best of luck to everyone getting married in the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lavdogg

Dang new levels are pants, we are getting married in October and was hoping for some good news.

Its very difficult for both couples, venues and vendors to implement even with the new guidelines, no doubt Failte Ireland will roll out some addtional guidleines to make it harder

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

yes... I spoke to soon.

No indication of how/when we hit level 1 or 3 either - with hospital loadings tiny with CV19 patients and a non existent death rate for months in Ireland, but a focus purely on cases, I am not hopeful for much movement from L.2.

yes... I spoke to soon.

No indication of how/when we hit level 1 or 3 either - with hospital loadings tiny with CV19 patients and a non existent death rate for months in Ireland, but a focus purely on cases, I am not hopeful for much movement from L.2.

I was wondering if I missed something... is there any indication on what defines movement between the levels? I'm sure it must be based on number of cases per 100,000, but I don't actually see that anywhere.

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Very sketchy on details as usual...

Our hotel has been telling us that live music won't be allowed (we're just looking for someone on guitar in the corner)

However, this latest plan doesn't mention it. The synopsis of Level 2 for hotels mentions 'noise controls', with no explanation except a link to Failte Ireland guidelines. Within there I can't find any reference to music or noise?

Anyone point me in the right direction?

It's incredibly frustrating waiting for this update today and then just hearing them waffle with no detail..

Our hotel has accepted that we will have a DJ, but has asked that the DJ will be mindful of not overly encouraging people to be dancing together etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

woodchuck wrote: »
    I was wondering if I missed something... is there any indication on what defines movement between the levels? I'm sure it must be based on number of cases per 100,000, but I don't actually see that anywhere.

I had read a couple of days ago alongside the these new stages: (paraphrasing here) , that:

- NPHET will take a less public facing role with simpler messaging coming from govt spokespersons.
    - More focus on hospital capacity/ICU capacity & the death rates as an indicator.

Both of which make sense, the devil's in the detail and case numbers, particularly daily are not a good indicator.

Personally what I would like to see is extremely targeted intervention in high risk communities: Nursing/care homes, migrant working locations such as meat packing locations, Direct Provision etc.

Let those who can get back to their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Our hotel has accepted that we will have a DJ, but has asked that the DJ will be mindful of not overly encouraging people to be dancing together etc.

And in fairness, that's all the guidelines ask

■ Ensuring distancing on the dance floors:
    - Signage on tables and dance floors must ask guests
    to respect physical distancing guidelines.
    - Employees must monitor and manage distancing

Will chat to them again on it, it's frustrating and sucking the excitement out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Smaller weddings sound so wonderful. Maybe it's the way to go, instead of having every waif and stray and outlaw, inlaw, sometime friends and cousins three times removed on the day.

I know many here will think I am a grinch. Far from it. The marriage is the important bit, the wedding is for those you know intimitely and WANT to share your day with you.

Best of luck to all of you.

So anyone know what the hell the crack is ,
    I'm invited to a wedding on Saturday in a bordering Dublin county,

The Venue is just across in another county ,the Bride & Groom and everyone in attendance are from Dublin

Are we being advised that its ok or not to go ?

So anyone know what the hell the crack is ,
    I'm invited to a wedding on Saturday in a bordering Dublin county,

The Venue is just across in another county ,the Bride & Groom and everyone in attendance are from Dublin

Are we being advised that its ok or not to go ?

At the moment its advised not to travel outside Dublin. By the end of the week it could be mandatory.

• Advertisement

nikpmup wrote: »
    At the moment its advised not to travel outside Dublin. By the end of the week it could be mandatory.

Most likely find out on Friday evening then,

God I really feel for them finding out 6pm on a Friday if your wedding can go ahead less than 24 hours later,

I guess that's the chance you take ,

Advertisement