Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Bride/Groom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

nikpmup wrote: »
    Haven't booked a band, we have a photographer booked for both the registry office and the wedding next spring, but he's a friend of my OH's, and from the way he was talking, the entire wedding industry have lost the whole years bookings so he and everyone he knows in the industry are going to do whatever they can to accommodate couples and try to salvage something. We've told him things might get moved and he's willing to work with us. Have you rescheduled or cancelled altogether?

Thats why its important to comsider a mid week wedding. A lot of suppliers are self employed and nearly a yrs income lost. They still have rent/mortgage/food bill etc to pay. Plus i dont think many of your guest will mind. As a friend of mine said when we reschduled to a mid week day. Sure its not as if im going anywhere on holidays this year and ill still have to take my years allocation of annual leave or lose then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Teach30 wrote: »
    We did. No willingness to even meet us half way considering it’s not our fault they can’t play.

Not so nice correspondence from them. Quite a mocking tone when we told them our new band name, they wanted to know had we asked them to waive the deposit.
    qwerty13 wrote: »
    It’s not their fault they can’t play either! And I don’t know their circumstances, but they could have jumped on future bookings in order to keep going, ie someone else got to a future date before you. Perhaps they would have played ball had you been willing to move to a free date they had.

Whatever about the legal side of things, suppliers who are hanging onto deposits for a job they won't be able to fulfill on the date or at a future date is scummy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Whatever about the legal side of things, suppliers who are hanging onto deposits for a job they won't be able to fulfill on the date or at a future date is scummy IMO.

This! And I know it's not their fault however there are a multitude of other suppliers who are refunding deposits. Maybe they don't realise that businesses and services live and die by social media these days. Those who are refunding deposits and being very accommodating are getting plenty of free advertising and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Dovies wrote: »
    This! And I know it's not their fault however there are a multitude of other suppliers who are refunding deposits. Maybe they don't realise that businesses and services live and die by social media these days. Those who are refunding deposits and being very accommodating are getting plenty of free advertising and rightly so.

This.

If someone had booked and paid for a family holiday to Majorca in August and the travel agent offered 2 options:

• an alternative date in January, when the kids are in school and the weather is miserable
    • or a refund minus your deposit

Would people be happy with those options? I can guarantee you they wouldn’t. It can’t be one rule for one and not for the rest.

Are self employed people not entitled to the same social welfare the rest of the state is?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Thats why its important to comsider a mid week wedding. A lot of suppliers are self employed and nearly a yrs income lost. They still have rent/mortgage/food bill etc to pay. Plus i dont think many of your guest will mind. As a friend of mine said when we reschduled to a mid week day. Sure its not as if im going anywhere on holidays this year and ill still have to take my years allocation of annual leave or lose then

Not everyone works office jobs or has annual leave. Our guests certainly wouldn’t be able to make a mid week wedding nor would we expect them to.

• Advertisement

qwerty13 wrote: »
    It’s not their fault they can’t play either! And I don’t know their circumstances, but they could have jumped on future bookings in order to keep going, ie someone else got to a future date before you. Perhaps they would have played ball had you been willing to move to a free date they had.

We tried to play ball but as they are popular they had no weekend dates.
    I’m over the money, if they’re that badly stuck for it they can have it. However the tone of their email correspondence was highly insulting. Very much a mocking tone when we even suggested the deposit back. They didn’t give a **** tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

We tried to play ball but as they are popular they had no weekend dates.
    I’m over the money, if they’re that badly stuck for it they can have it. However the tone of their email correspondence was highly insulting. Very much a mocking tone when we even suggested the deposit back. They didn’t give a **** tbh.

If it was me personally, I'd make sure future customers know about this.

Social media is powerful so wherever they advertise, I'd be posting a review about their behaviour as a 'paying customer'.

The pandemic is affecting everyone, physically, mentally and financially, and personally, I don't feel anyone should be 'benefiting' from the misfortune of others and this sounds like exactly that.

Not everyone works office jobs or has annual leave. Our guests certainly wouldn’t be able to make a mid week wedding nor would we expect them to.

What job do you not have annual leave that you can never take a day off? And dont say teachers coz i know plenty that got married during school terms.

What job do you not have annual leave that you can never take a day off? And dont say teachers coz i know plenty that got married during school terms.

Farmers.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A lot of construction workers are limited to two weeks off in summer and at Christmas, so lose money if they take days off outside of those timeframes. With covid a lot of employers have got their employees to use up part of their leave allocation during lockdown so as not to create staffing issues later when their workplaces open up again.

Even before the epidemic, I would have declined a wedding invite on a weekday unless it was for a family members' wedding as my leave allowance isn't much and I want to prioritise it for my family holiday and Christmas. That's not slating anyone who has a weekday wedding by the way - fair play to them, as long as they understand not all guests might accept the invite.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    A lot of construction workers are limited to two weeks off in summer and at Christmas, so lose money if they take days off outside of those timeframes. With covid a lot of employers have got their employees to use up part of their leave allocation during lockdown so as not to create staffing issues later when their workplaces open up again.

Even before the epidemic, I would have declined a wedding invite on a weekday unless it was for a family members' wedding as my leave allowance isn't much and I want to prioritise it for my family holiday and Christmas. That's not slating anyone who has a weekday wedding by the way - fair play to them, as long as they understand not all guests might accept the invite.

Totally agree with this.

For us the church ceremony is the most significant party of the day. We chose a weekend so that those I know teaching could attend. I wouldn’t be given a day off to go to a friends wedding nor would I expect to get the day off. I’d be embarrassed to even ask.

Therefore I wouldn’t expect colleagues to attend week day, that’s why we were limited in our choice. We want our friends to be able to witness the best party of the day.

Time of year is also significant for us as certain times not suitable due to work commitments.

Band should have given us half back, morally wrong what they did. I’d imagine we weren’t the only ones they did this to so they pocketed a fair amount over covoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Neyite wrote: »

Agree, weekday weddings are annoying and unless the person matters a lot to you, then I'd also likely decline.

That siad, I've been at weddings on Tuesday (1), Wednesday (1), Thursday (2) and Friday (3) during the week and with the exception of Friday weddings which in my experience people don't mind too much, all of there others sparked a lot of low level resentment chitchat behind the couples backs mostly. Stuff along the lines of people being tight by getting a cheaper wedding at the expense of their guests annual leave.

Obviously if you're doing a civil wedding then it has to be midweek but I do think guests appreciate if you can get a weekend date.

All of that being said, that was pre Covid 19 and I think all rules are out the window now.
    1. Weddings will likely be smaller for the next while anyway
    2. People will be understanding as it stands to reason that that there will be less Saturday/Sunday dates available for next year as the majority of 2020 weddings will now happen in 2021 along with all the weddings that would have naturally happened in that year anyway.

Farmers.

Unorganised ones maybe. I grew up on a busy one and there was always time put aside for days out or holidays. All is takes is planning in advance.One thing that annoys me how farmers have this image of never able to take time off

With the backlog, weekend weddings dates are going to be v hard to get over the next few years.. plus restrictions are going to be in place early next year too so we will be having smaller ones either way.
    I certainly wouldnt critize anyone for having a mid week one. Its a way of kepping suppliers already booked and they will be delighted of the business. Plus couple getting married maybe on a tight budget so mid week suits them rather than putting extra financial presurre on themselves. One thing i found annoying before covid was this pressure from outsiders of having to so Z,Y,Z

Unorganised ones maybe. I grew up on a busy one and there was always time put aside for days out or holidays. All is takes is planning in advance.One thing that annoys me how farmers have this image of never able to take time off

With the backlog, weekend weddings dates are going to be v hard to get over the next few years.. plus restrictions are going to be in place early next year too so we will be having smaller ones either way.
    I certainly wouldnt critize anyone for having a mid week one. Its a way of kepping suppliers already booked and they will be delighted of the business. Plus couple getting married maybe on a tight budget so mid week suits them rather than putting extra financial presurre on themselves. One thing i found annoying before covid was this pressure from outsiders of having to so Z,Y,Z

Organisation is not a problem. Lack of availability for reliable relief milkers would be. I don’t know any farmers who are able to take weeks off for holidays and they’re all very organised. A few days at most is all I would expect. There’s an image there because it is the truth.

Very hard to leave a business in the hands of what is often a stranger for long periods of time.

Grand if it suits the clientele to have a midweek wedding but for our family and friends it would take the enjoyment out of it.

Sure farming doesnt stop saturday or sunday either.

Anyways back to the point of suppliers trying to save something from this years wedding seassion. If couples are planning to try and go ahead this year if possible dont rule out mid week esp if your going down small immediate route. I feel sorry for photographer, makeup artist,etc where weddings are their main source of income.. Our suppliers were delighted when they heard midweek.one in particular stood out.
    I think this whole pandemic is going to change Irish weddings for a long time even when we are passed the whole covid thing.

Sure farming doesnt stop saturday or sunday either.

Anyways back to the point of suppliers trying to save something from this years wedding seassion. If couples are planning to try and go ahead this year if possible dont rule out mid week esp if your going down small immediate route. I feel sorry for photographer, makeup artist,etc where weddings are their main source of income.. Our suppliers were delighted when they heard midweek.one in particular stood out.
    I think this whole pandemic is going to change Irish weddings for a long time even when we are passed the whole covid thing.

No but far easier get relief at the weekend when students etc are not in college and friends not working so can help.

If suppliers were reasonable with their dealings with couples who have had to postpone then I would have no problem re-booking them. Hard to feel sorry for them with they are holding onto large deposits. As I said earlier if they are out of work they’ll be receiving the Covoid payment. They'll make up for it next year when they’ll be working midweek and weekends.

Of course they’ll be delighted with midweeks next year but I can’t see it becoming a thing for future years. Anyone I know who had to change this year re-booked a weekend date next year or year after. That’s 6 couples.

Most suppliers are reasonable but unfortunately thats the nature of a deposit. Like booking anything not all deposits are refundable. Current situation is out of everyones control and some may not be able to afford refund or only afford part refund. However if same said supplier was living the highlife id be livid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

As I said earlier if they are out of work they’ll be receiving the Covoid payment. They'll make up for it next year when they’ll be working midweek and weekends.

The 350euro a week Covid payment wouldn't be anything close to what they were earning before.

While they'll have more business next year compared to a normal year, it's not feasible to do two years worth of work in one year. The popular bands are usually already pretty booked up in a normal year.

They still have to pay rent, bills, food etc NOW. Making a little more money next year isn't going to help them this year when the bills are stacking up.

woodchuck wrote: »
    The 350euro a week Covid payment wouldn't be anything close to what they were earning before.

While they'll have more business next year compared to a normal year, it's not feasible to do two years worth of work in one year. The popular bands are usually already pretty booked up in a normal year.

They still have to pay rent, bills, food etc NOW. Making a little more money next year isn't going to help them this year when the bills are stacking up.

Good point and of course holding onto deposits despite not being able to supply their service is an ideal way to pay bills.

We all have bills to pay NOW, I work hard to earn money to pay mine. Can’t say the same about this band.

Look, the deposit is non-refundable. Regardless of the circumstances. Everybody knows that when they hand over the money.

I'm just trying to convince you to have a little bit of sympathy for suppliers. It doesn't sound like you're out of work due to the pandemic. They are. Try to be a little understanding of the position they've found themselves in. Count your blessings that you still have a regular income.

• Advertisement

€350 is the same amount that a couple, who were due to get married but now are out of work, could be getting. And they too are having all the normal bills of rent, food, as well as paying for extra vendors, paying for additional invites etc

And to anyone saying that deposits are “non-refundable”; if you booked a non-refundable flight with Ryanair, and they subsequently couldn’t fly you to your destination due to Covid, through no fault of their own, would you accept only the taxes and fees back? Or would you expect the full whack? Because a quick wander over to the Travel forum answers that one pretty quickly.

There's whole heap legislation in place for flights though to protect the customer (who pays the full price up front to a large corporation). It's like comparing apples and oranges.

If people are really unhappy that they haven't gotten their deposits back from suppliers, they could try the small claims court. A small fee of 25euro and it's all done online.

I'm just trying to see things from the other side and I feel REALLY sorry for the suppliers who have found themselves in a horrendous position financially. And I am a 2020 bride who is very likely to postpone (not a supplier).

Look, the deposit is non-refundable. Regardless of the circumstances. Everybody knows that when they hand over the money.

I'm just trying to convince you to have a little bit of sympathy for suppliers. It doesn't sound like you're out of work due to the pandemic. They are. Try to be a little understanding of the position they've found themselves in. Count your blessings that you still have a regular income.

Seriously?!
    It means as much to me as to them. I’ve very little sympathy for those who try to fleece consumers. Retaining a €500 deposit in times like this is morally wrong.

Did it ever occur to you that that suppliers might only do wedding jobs on the side? For many it’s not their only source of income. They can have a regular income too, difference is I work to earn mine.
    If they kept every deposit for (April-July) 15 weekends with two gigs a weekend. You do the maths.

And you expect me to have sympathy, more fool you.

For anyone who does proceed with small claims court I wish you the best of luck also.

There's whole heap legislation in place for flights though to protect the customer (who pays the full price up front to a large corporation). It's like comparing apples and oranges.

If people are really unhappy that they haven't gotten their deposits back from suppliers, they could try the small claims court. A small fee of 25euro and it's all done online.

I'm just trying to see things from the other side and I feel REALLY sorry for the suppliers who have found themselves in a horrendous position financially. And I am a 2020 bride who is very likely to postpone (not a supplier).

I have full sympathy for suppliers at the moment. And everyone who finds themselves out of work right now.

But the fact is, if they are claiming the covid payment and can’t play a couples new date, they have no right to keep the deposit. That’s double dipping.

I don’t condone people claiming the dole and working off the books at the same time, so I can’t condone claiming the covid payment and keeping cash for a job; it’s the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bellabride2020

Hi all brides and grooms, We were holding out for our October 2020 wedding but I think we will have to reschedule now. How did you pick a new date? I'm so indecisive and have even thought about going into 2022. We could have it Oct 2021 or April 2022. I do like the idea of having a spring wedding but it will be further away

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi all brides and grooms, We were holding out for our October 2020 wedding but I think we will have to reschedule now. How did you pick a new date? I'm so indecisive and have even thought about going into 2022. We could have it Oct 2021 or April 2022. I do like the idea of having a spring wedding but it will be further away

I just went one year in advance as it was kind of in my head, so now it feels like the same wedding just further down the line. I got it on pretty much the same day as it would have been when the celebrant and venue were free.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Anyone have any ideas what happening with registry office weddings?

Had anyone been able to book a date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas what happening with registry office weddings?

Had anyone been able to book a date?

We're due to get married on the 23rd Sept in the registry office. Our notification appointment was due to be this month, but they're pushed it to the 10th of June. I asked whether the ceremony would definitely be going ahead, the lady I spoke to couldn't say for definite but she - as of this week - was operating under the assumption that ceremonies are going ahead subject to restrictions in place at the time. We're assuming that it'll just be us, registrar and witnesses

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

nikpmup wrote: »
    We're due to get married on the 23rd Sept in the registry office. Our notification appointment was due to be this month, but they're pushed it to the 10th of June. I asked whether the ceremony would definitely be going ahead, the lady I spoke to couldn't say for definite but she - as of this week - was operating under the assumption that ceremonies are going ahead subject to restrictions in place at the time. We're assuming that it'll just be us, registrar and witnesses

Thanks, we have our intent to marry documents already, we were due to get married on 2nd May but it was cancelled. We'd like to do the civil ceremony ASAP but no reply to any emails to the registry offices to find out when we can book, we'd like to book a date in late July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Thanks, we have our intent to marry documents already, we were due to get married on 2nd May but it was cancelled. We'd like to do the civil ceremony ASAP but no reply to any emails to the registry offices to find out when we can book, we'd like to book a date in late July.

Simon Harris was on Pat Kenny this morning and the subject of weddings came up. He indicated small weddings would be allowed after July 20th (phase 4) wiht close friends and family but wouldnt put a number on it (he did say 100, 80 etc is not small), just that they were still working on it.

Might be worth listening back to it.

Advertisement