Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

amacca wrote: »
    Did she say the bit about giving up sovereignty or not?

So what if she did? Every country that signs a trade agreement gives up sovereignty.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Just out of long day away from the news, so to catch up am I right in saying that as of now Britain has...

Negotiated itself to either economic armageddon OR loss of sovereignty over two of its territories / protectorates in order to avail of more limited access to its most convenient markets and to accept a whole range of regulations, which is currently has a say in, but won't after the fact?

Yep. That's about the sum of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yep. That's about the sum of it.

So awesome. There is not enough popcorn in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So awesome. There is not enough popcorn in the world

There is no popcorn left. I'm biting hard on kernels. It really is extraordinary that when all the dust settles this is what they are left with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Just out of long day away from the news, so to catch up am I right in saying that as of now Britain has...

Negotiated itself to either economic armageddon OR loss of sovereignty over two of its territories / protectorates in order to avail of more limited access to its most convenient markets and to accept a whole range of regulations, which is currently has a say in, but won't after the fact?

Theresa May released the Political Declaration outlining the future relationship between Britain and the EU beyond the transition period today.

It’s not often I agree with Corbyn, but his succinct assessment of it as ‘26 pages of waffle’ was bang on the money. There was nothing substantive, nothing authoritative, and nothing enticing about it.

Remainers like it less than they did before, leavers never liked it and there’s nothing in this to change their minds.

The vote in parliament will be scarcely more than a formality. She’s a hopeless PM and her position is more insecure than ever.

I think that’s the sum of it for you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You missed a bit... according to themselves, they have achieved their top objective of stopping FOP and sure that is all that matters :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looks like the UK is headed for political chaos at the very least if the vote is rejected.

The market won't like it either.

Either way this damaging to UK politics and the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

There is no popcorn left. I'm biting hard on kernels. It really is extraordinary that when all the dust settles this is what they are left with.

Remember the bad old days when you ordered a sandwich with your beer in a bar or hotel and the only options available were cheese and/or ham.
    Remember when the most popular soup was the Royco powdered variety? Remember years when there was a bad harvest of potatoes, and the only 'out of season' option was Smash mash? Remember those chicken curry mixes that you added water to?
    That will be the UK circa 2019 if there is a hard Brexit unless they come up with some way of mass producing out of season vegetables like tomatoes, onions and lettuce. Potatoes and other root crops will become luxury items out of season too. Dutch lorry drivers are not going to queue for hours at the borders to bring this stuff into the UK. And even if they do, UK 3rd country tariffs enforced by the farming community will ensure they will become much more expensive. When stuff like this happens, whatever unrest there is now will seem like a tea party.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They have a third option of changing their mind in light of new evidence and remaining in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The vote in parliament will be scarcely more than a formality. She’s a hopeless PM and her position is more insecure than ever.

I’m not so sure anymore, I suspect that she has far better intelligence on what the feeling on the ground in the constituencies is than we give her credit for. You’d think on the face of it cobbling together 48 letters to start a leadership challenge would have been easy and yet they failed to arrive - take that as a warning if I was a BREXITEER. If she does not call for a three line whip, she may well get the votes she needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They have a third option of changing their mind in light of new evidence and remaining in.

They do indeed, and that would be preferable for Ireland of course, but as regards 'evidence', you could point at the sky and say its blue and still a large proportion of would either put the head in the sand or rail against it.

The p1ss poor level of their political discourse and print media has a lot of answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I’m not so sure anymore, I suspect that she has far better intelligence on what the feeling on the ground in the constituencies is than we give her credit for. You’d think on the face of it cobbling together 48 letters to start a leadership challenge would have been easy and yet they failed to arrive - take that as a warning if I was a BREXITEER. If she does not call for a three line whip, she may well get the votes she needs.

Possibly and we won’t really know until December 10th. Although the evidence that it is doomed to complete failure does appear to be mounting rapidly. We know that the DUP can’t vote for it. We know that labour can’t vote for it.

But most tellingly something like 80 Tory MPs have put their name to voting against her deal. Now I know you can never fully trust a politician, but it would be pretty bold to do an about turn at this late stage having given their word publicly to the electorate

I fully expect her to lose the deal and face a vote of no confidence the very next day

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Apparently the Pizza Club (Leadsome,Fox and other cabinet Brexiteers) have a wheeze up their sleeves.
    Assuming defeat for the Withdrawal agreement, they will ask for a year's extension and then go straight to hard Brexit, presumably having by that time got their sh!t together .

This was reported by Fraser Nelson in the Telegraph this morning.

On the face of it, the EU would need to approve an extension but, it's a possibility.
    It would leave us in the ordure in March 2020 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

cml387 wrote: »
    Apparently the Pizza Club (Leadsome,Fox and other cabinet Brexiteers) have a wheeze up their sleeves.
    Assuming defeat for the Withdrawal agreement, they will ask for a year's extension and then go straight to hard Brexit, presumably having by that time got their sh!t together .

This was reported by Fraser Nelson in the Telegraph this morning.

On the face of it, the EU would need to approve an extension but, it's a possibility.
    It would leave us in the ordure in March 2020 though.
    Well that's the cunning plan out in the open then. Do these people think EU leaders can't read English newspapers?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well that's the cunning plan out in the open then. Do these people think EU leaders can't read English newspapers?

I suppose the thinking is that the EU will suffer as much as the UK next March from a crash out, this will give both sides time to prepare.

I suppose the thinking is that the EU will suffer as much as the UK next March from a crash out, this will give both sides time to prepare.
    But if the plan is to just use an extended transition period as a smokescreen for a hard brexit and the EU leaders know this, why would they grant it?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Yes, yes they do. It's mad, but it appears to be that because most British don't or can't read foreign-language press that Europeans can't/don't read English. Despite all the heaped evidence to the contrary.

But if the plan is to just use an extended transition period as a smokescreen for a hard brexit and the EU leaders know this, why would they grant it?

It's not a smokescreen. They'd be quite open about their intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/sanchezcastejon/status/1065719004923342850

Looks like the Brits can start pointing the finger at the Spanish as well as the Irish now.

That's a very biased view if you don't mind me saying.Gibraltar has been British for a long time and Spain is trying to gain from the current situation-nothing wrong with that but hardly the UK pointing the finger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Their cunning plan is that there won't be a smokescreen.

They are going to publicly aim for Hard brexit, they want to drive right off that cliff, they just need the EU to give them a one-year run-up.

Of course it would turn out that they actually want a free trade agreement, agreement on flights, visas, nuclear power, arrest warrants etc. etc. etc. In real life, that will take 10 years to negotiate, and this is just more nonsense from the Brexiteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

...but where's the factual support for this view? Other than hard-core Brexiteers, is any serious economist able to support this view?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The Brexiteers have been clinging to that delusion for quite some time. Of course they both need to prepare but they are preparing for very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

And the EU. Merkel called for the end of sovereignty.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1048913/brexit-news-angela-merkel-germany-eu-sovereignty-uk
    She told the event, titled ‘Parliamentarianism Between Globalisation and National Sovereignty’: "In this day nation states must today - should today, I say - be ready to give up sovereignty.

Between this and the Army talk the EU is getting dangerous. I hope Washington and London are talking about to to nip this who thing in the bud.

The EU is getting dangerous and America and London should "nip it in the bud" Who carried out the invasion of Iraq looking for imaginary WMD.

Current America policy and a destabilised Britain are much greater cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

In terms of the HoC vote. Is there any chance reminers from all parties will support the bill through gritted teeth to avoid a no deal exit.
    Do they see other options if the vote fails?
    Will it not be up to the Tory party, and no one else, whether to call for a new vote or an election.

Are remainers not taking a huge risk voting against this deal since no deal option is terrible. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm far from an expert on UK politics

It's not a smokescreen. They'd be quite open about their intentions.
    Which is my point really. There's no incentive for the EU leaders to extend a transition period when it's only purpose is to give them time to prepare for something they are pretending won't happen. There's a lot more preparedness on the EU side for a hard brexit. Staying execution will only increase uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

joe40 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something. I'm far from an expert on UK politics

I think you'd need to be a SociologistHistorianPsychiatrist to understand UK politics at present.
    Are remainers not taking a huge risk voting against this deal since no deal option is terrible.

It seems like the danger of an accidental Brexit looms larger every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

In terms of the HoC vote. Is there any chance reminers from all parties will support the bill through gritted teeth to avoid a no deal exit.
    Do they see other options if the vote fails?
    Will it not be up to the Tory party, and no one else, whether to call for a new vote or an election.

Are remainers not taking a huge risk voting against this deal since no deal option is terrible. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm far from an expert on UK politics

Everything is on the table. There is currently a lot of talk of May puts the vote to the HoC it's rejected. Que currency collapse and general bad things. May gives this a couple of weeks. Meanwhile the option of a second vote is put to the HoC and this is also rejected (part of May's plan). May returns to the HoC mid December and says its my way or the highway in the hope opposition MPs don't follow their parties whip to avoid absolute madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Everything is on the table. There is currently a lot of talk of May puts the vote to the HoC it's rejected. Que currency collapse and general bad things. May gives this a couple of weeks. Meanwhile the option of a second vote is put to the HoC and this is also rejected (part of May's plan). May returns to the HoC mid December and says its my way or the highway in the hoping opposition MPs don't follow their parties whip to avoid absolute madness
    #

i think it will go something like this, i'm not sure about the offer of a second ref but she will lose the first vote but win the second or possibly third, she will keep going until she gets it.

after she loses the first vote there will prob be a vote of no confidence in her, those in the know seem to think she will win this and then have another crack at getting it through.
    should she lose this, then rinse and repeat until the fear and loathing that will by then have descended across the uk gets her over the line to much national rejoicing just in time for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

And the EU. Merkel called for the end of sovereignty.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1048913/brexit-news-angela-merkel-germany-eu-sovereignty-uk
    She told the event, titled ‘Parliamentarianism Between Globalisation and National Sovereignty’: "In this day nation states must today - should today, I say - be ready to give up sovereignty.

Between this and the Army talk the EU is getting dangerous. I hope Washington and London are talking about to to nip this who thing in the bud.
    I know you're a silly troll, but this is a point worth making.

The US and the UK decided that in the post war settlement that they would provide security to Europe and allow it to develop economically in order to prevent it becoming militarised (and a threat) again. By providing this blanket, it meant that European countries didn't need standing armies of great strength and could devote resources to civilian infrastructure. European countries accepted this effective loss of sovereignty (in that they didn't control their own foreign policy fully) to recover from the war and they trusted their Allies who were stable and dependable to defend them when needed.

The reason there is talk of a European Army is because the US and to a lesser extent, the UK, want to withdraw this defence blanket. If no one will come to the defence of Europe, it will be for Europeans to defend it.

Burden sharing notwithstanding (and it is a legitimate gripe) best way for the US and the UK to nip this in the bud, is a full throated commitment to NATO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement