Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christian Bale method losing weight.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hoboo wrote: »
    Why are people so obsessed with losing weight, rather than losing fat and gaining muscle. Starve yourself, lose your arse, keep your belly.

People who are significantly overweight need to lose fat and only fat.
    If they lose fat, they will weigh less. So they say they want to lose weight. It's pretty straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

While I don't really give a monkeys about what some Hollywood actor is up to, fasting is a perfectly valid approach to weight loss and it doesn't get any simpler than not eating. If someone is obese the body will use fat as fuel and from what I gather, people that have lost large amounts of weight by fasting havnt needed tummy tucks at the end, so the body is smart enough to consume excess protein along the way.
    There are plenty of people out there doing one or two days fasting a week or alternative day fasting is another approach, and others again might do a ~5 day fast every couple of months.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Nobody is saying that fasting doesn't work , I've tried the intermittent fasting programs before on 18/6 and they were very effective - of course they work for some people and for others the extreme can lead to binge eating and failure it depends on the person.

And yes , losing large amounts of weight when your obese is fine I wouldn't be worrying too much about muscle loss vs fat at that stage but in saying that if you did start lifting weights and starting as you may mean to go on you would no doubt thank yourself as you get slimmer as you would produce better results.

Lower weight , people who are in and around 11 - 18% bodyfat would need to worry about muscle loss as they don't have the excess fat reserves of a obese person and extreme unmanaged fasting would result in muscle loss without a program as their body would consume both for fuel - that's a fact.

The person who submitted this post originally is not obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Irishcrx wrote: »
    The person who submitted this post originally is not obese.

Also, I think some people are thinking "This is just a celebrity diet" and aren't familiar with the film in question and the lengths Bale went to to achieve the weight he is in it.

This is the weight loss the OP is claiming to want to emulate:

tumblr_l4536sely41qzrqmgo1_500.jpg?w=462

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Mellor wrote: »
    People who are significantly overweight need to lose fat and only fat.
    If they lose fat, they will weigh less. So they say they want to lose weight. It's pretty straightforward.

Well no its not straight forward for the majority of people. The term overweight in itself has the meaning of having too much fat, but it should actually be overfat to distinguish the difference. Fat is not weight. Its fat. It does weigh a number, but so does muscle.

Someone who is 'overweight' (has too much fat), needs to lose weight but only fat. So they eat fook all, and certainly not enough protein. The body looks for protein and attacks the muscle, not the fat. They lose weight, so think its great, but all they've done is reduce their muscle content. Thats my point. The very term 'lose weight' focuses people on a number (the weight), rather than a specific goal (lose fat). Arse, arms and legs gone. Fat remains.

Its straight forward, but not as you put it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

You can bet your life that Christian bale had a nutrient drip in his arm during any of those drastic weight cuts.

Actors like that are all on growth hormone etc.

He certainly didn't go on the local 'girlo' celery and water diet with a few slimmers thrown type diet that's for sure lol.

The key to losing weight is eating below maintenence, over time, crash diets result in carb sensitivity / change in insulin response etc.

What you lose very soon returns

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Someone who is 'overweight' (has too much fat), needs to lose weight but only fat. So they eat fook all, and certainly not enough protein. The body looks for protein and attacks the muscle, not the fat. They lose weight, so think its great, but all they've done is reduce their muscle content.

And all that will still largely happen if they eat boatloads of protein and don't actually do any resistance exercise.

Unless they're not supplementing with something anabolic. Other than whey and creatine...

And all that will still largely happen if they eat boatloads of protein and don't actually do any resistance exercise.

Unless they're not supplementing with something anabolic. Other than whey and creatine...

The only way to drop weight and maintain muscle is to use anabolic steroids.

This is the honest answer and the factual one.

Male celebrities will definitely be on trt dose or higher testosterone whilst doing so, all prescribed by expensive private clinics who'd give you anything for the right price

The term overweight in itself has the meaning of having too much fat, but it should actually be overfat to distinguish the difference.
    Distinguish it from what exactly?
    Unless over-muscle is a thing, there's nothing to distinguish it from. So the synonym is fine.
    So they eat fook all, and certainly not enough protein. The body looks for protein and attacks the muscle, not the fat. They lose weight, so think its great, but all they've done is reduce their muscle content. Thats my point.
    While that's possible, it's not what happens to everyone trying to lose weight.
    Most importantly, if somebody is that clueless about diet, then they'll still be clueless if we called it "overfat". They'd try to Lee fat, and still lose muscle.
    The very term 'lose weight' focuses people on a number (the weight), rather than a specific goal (lose fat). Arse, arms and legs gone. Fat remains.
    The weight is aneasy way to track changes. Even the most clueless person knows it's bodygatvthey want to shift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

italodisco wrote: »
    The only way to drop weight and maintain muscle is to use anabolic steroids.

I think there's a little more nuance to it than that. It depends how much you're dropping.

Obviously if you're on The Machinist Diet, you lose a boatload of muscle. If you're cutting a few kilos, you don't necessarily lose a lot of weight.

Just adding for the sake of clarity.

I think there's a little more nuance to it than that. It depends how much you're dropping.

Obviously if you're on The Machinist Diet, you lose a boatload of muscle. If you're cutting a few kilos, you don't necessarily lose a lot of weight.

Just adding for the sake of clarity.

Okay, if someone is willing to be patient (which is a rare phenomenon regarding weight loss) they could adjust their macros and eat slightly under maintenence and gradually lose body fat over an extended period of time, there would be muscle loss but very very minimal. They would need to incorporate some form of resistance training.

I'll start cutting in March for 10 weeks, eat 600 cals under maintenence, train in the 5 to 8 rep range and do 4 mornings of interval cardio.... But I will also run 300mgbof testosterone prop and some t3 (thyroid med) for. The duration to keep what muscle I have.

Outside of that I do not cycle any steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bale will have been able to sit on his arse all day whilst doing this and would have had a medical team at his beck and call.

If you have to do any sort of activity, even having to go to work and sit in front of a computer in an office, this is simply not sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Outside of that I do not cycle any steroids.

lol outside of these steroids I don't do steroids. Totally natty brah.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    lol outside of these steroids I don't do steroids. Totally natty brah.

Not natty at all. Never claimed I was, I'll assume English is not your first language.

Just sensible with my approach, not looking to grow to huge proportions. Well educated in this particular area and using gear just for the cut as I train for strength and not aesthetics which means a rather high caloric intake which equals a fair bit of unwanted body fat.

Also, calling me 'brah' to try be cool and edgy... Hmm...

Considering I wear an old Penny's t-shirt and old bottoms to the gym and keep my head down and train hard, I'd be fairly sure I'm not a 'gym brah', but hey hun, if that gives you something to laugh about then I'm happy for you.

You should seriously consider having your estrogen levels checked!!

Oj hold on a Mo, ain't blacktie the guy who gave some advice on a thread about 'Bulking' a few weeks back, advising on caloric targets and how to reach them.... Before actually asking the OP what is his height, weight and tdee?

Hmmm.... Sounds like Dat dere 'bro' science to me

Not natty at all. Never claimed I was, I'll assume English is not your first language.

Fair enough it came across that way though.
    Also, calling me 'brah' to try be cool and edgy... Hmm...
    You should seriously consider having your estrogen levels checked!!

Pot meet kettle.
    Considering I wear an old Penny's t-shirt and old bottoms to the gym and keep my head down and train hard, I'd be fairly sure I'm not a 'gym brah', but hey hun, if that gives you something to laugh about then I'm happy for you.

The clothes is what makes a gym brah? News to me.
    Oj hold on a Mo, ain't blacktie the guy who gave some advice on a thread about 'Bulking' a few weeks back, advising on caloric targets and how to reach them.... Before actually asking the OP what is his height, weight and tdee?

Hmmm.... Sounds like Dat dere 'bro' science to me

O you mean the one where nobody else replied and I worked off the numbers that he gave me and not offering any specific argets myself? And then gave pretty general guidelines on how to overeat if he's having issues with satiety. Please explain how this was bad advice.

Fair enough it came across that way though.

Pot meet kettle.

The clothes is what makes a gym brah? News to me.

O you mean the one where nobody else replied and I worked off the numbers that he gave me and not offering any specific argets myself? And then gave pretty general guidelines on how to overeat if he's having issues with satiety. Please explain how this was bad advice.

Very bad advice, if you don't have someone's stats you can't assume what their daily intake should be to be x amount over or under maintenance.

Also, the clothes certain do go hand in hand with a gym brah.

Typically gym shark / stringer vests / snap back hats.... Just some of the typical signs of a 'fitmisc' manlet / bro.

Oh, and my estrogen is in range, confirmed via bloodwork last week so I'm all good!!!

Very bad advice, if you don't have someone's stats you can't assume what their daily intake should be to be x amount over or under maintenance.

He gave a calories amount and I advised on that. I'm failing to see the issue here.
    Oh, and my estrogen is in range, confirmed via bloodwork last week so I'm all good!!!

I think this was a whoosh moment... Anyways good job getting bloods done. Too many people just go with the be grand school of thought.

Also, the clothes certain do go hand in hand with a gym brah.

Typically gym shark / stringer vests / snap back hats.... Just some of the typical signs of a 'fitmisc' manlet / bro.

Damn, forgot to add the most important part, gym brah massive generally don't train legs just chest and arms chest and arms chest and arms....

Whereas my legs were my main focus from the very start and still are.

Ain't no gym brahs sitting at home right now feeling excited about training legs, then again maybe I'm just odd and have a secret leg fetish I'm unaware of lol

• Advertisement

Damn, forgot to add the most important part, gym brah massive generally don't train legs just chest and arms chest and arms chest and arms....

Whereas my legs were my main focus from the very start and still are.

Ain't no gym brahs sitting at home right now feeling excited about training legs, then again maybe I'm just odd and have a secret leg fetish I'm unaware of lol

:D legs days are best days. I'm off the squats and deads for a while. Super boring gym sessions.

Blacktie you need a full picture before deciding on caloric intake.

What will work for someone 185cm tall weighing 80kg with a tdee of 1800, training 6 days PPL (which is just begging for cns burnout) looking to bulk will not work for someone else of different stats.

It took me years of trial and error to get this right and once I did everything fell into place.

The hardest part of this journey is the food /sleep/ recovery. 99% of us are mere mortals with full time jobs and lives outside the gym, it's an absolute nightmare trying to get it right.

Too many folk are spinning their wheels day in day out in the gym.

Blacktie you need a full picture before deciding on caloric intake.

What will work for someone 185cm tall weighing 80kg with a tdee of 1800, training 6 days PPL (which is just begging for cns burnout) looking to bulk will not work for someone else of different stats.

It took me years of trial and error to get this right and once I did everything fell into place.

The hardest part of this journey is the food /sleep/ recovery. 99% of us are mere mortals with full time jobs and lives outside the gym, it's an absolute nightmare trying to get it right.

Too many folk are spinning their wheels day in day out in the gym.

I realise this but I didn't give any figures... I just worked with what he gave.

Why are you getting bloods done in October if you only cycle in March/April.
    Not suggesting it's wrong to get a semi-annual check if your on gear. Genuinely curious whether there's a specific reason you do it.

:D legs days are best days. I'm off the squats and deads for a while. Super boring gym sessions.

Fok I'm absolutely strung out on leg day, heading to gym in an hour to do :

Front squat (reverse pyramid) 5 sets with rest pause

Walking lunge 4x6

Hack squat 4 x 8-12

Calf raises 4 set to fail

Then back in on Wednesday to go all out back squat and hamstring.

I ain't gonna lie, I love being that guy on hols in the speedo shorts with the tree trunk legs lol

Mellor wrote: »
    Why are you getting bloods done in October if you only cycle in March/April.
    Not suggesting it's wrong to get a semi-annual check if your on gear. Genuinely curious whether there's a specific reason you do it.

I get bloods done off cycle too.

I like to keep an eye on test / fsh / lh/ estrogen/ prolactin/ hematocrit / hemoglobin and lipids.

Just a habit, but a good one. Bloods cost 30 quid, my GP is cool and knows the score.

Always good to know what's going on, don't wanna be pushing myself if there's something wrong under the hood

Advertisement