Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christian Bale method losing weight.

Options
  • 13-10-2018 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm thinking of losing weight the way Christian Bale did for the machinist - he ate a tin of tuna and an apple a day for a few months - nothing else apart from water and vitamin supplements.

Anyone else try this ?
    I can imagine it being quite effective, however I do not want to put my health at risk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This is the worst idea I've ever heard on this forum, and there've been some doozies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

Really ?
    Why ? I mean I would imagine that he as a hollywood actor would have had the best advice and doctors - and it worked well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Christian Bale was already at a good weight, he had a full medical team around him while doing this to monitor him every single day.
    Can you afford to do the same? What weight are you?
    Doing this if you're heavily overweight could cause serious health issues for you.

Blazer wrote: »
    Christian Bale was already at a good weight, he had a full medical team around him while doing this to monitor him every single day.
    Can you afford to do the same? What weight are you?
    Doing this if you're heavily overweight could cause serious health issues for you.

OK I should explain better, I am not overweight.
    I am 78KG and 5ft 11, my BMI is around 24.

I just wanna see how much I can lose doing this for 2/3 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

OK I should explain better, I am not overweight.
    I am 78KG and 5ft 11, my BMI is around 24.

I just wanna see how much I can lose doing this for 2/3 weeks.

I would try full water fasting instead. Eating tiny amount of calories will leave you constantly hungry and you will miss out on autophagy and other benefits like becoming fat adapted. And cut down on exercise to minimize any muscle loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

You could try the snake diet. YouTube it.

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    You could try the snake diet. YouTube it.

And make sure to shout all the time like the snake fast guy. Snake fast is basically water and salt. Don't think the salt is necessary.

Magnatu wrote: »
    And make sure to shout all the time like the snake fast guy. Snake fast is basically water and salt. Don't think the salt is necessary.

It.is necessary. It allows you to fast for longer and exercise. Plain water fasting can be dangerous because your heart and muscles need those electrolytes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can never understand these folk who say "I have tried cutting down on my food intake and I still can't seem to lose weight".

Obviously they are lying, cos if you ever tune into Bear Grylls 'The Island', you see the dramatic weight loss that happens to the human body when there is little or no food available.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I can never understand these folk who say "I have tried cutting down on my food intake and I still can't seem to lose weight".

Obviously they are lying, cos if you ever tune into Bear Grylls 'The Island', you see the dramatic weight loss that happens to the human body when there is little or no food available.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

Yeah. They are lying. But cutting down is difficult. Fasting which precludes subconscious cheating is much more effective and easier.

Snake diet does look interesting, but potassium chloride ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

on the theme of famous people losing weight, reminds me of Penn , i think prefaces by saying if you take medical advice from a las vegas magician you are an idiot that deserves to die :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Snake diet does look interesting, but potassium chloride ??

What about potassium chloride. You have a question mark but you haven't asked a question

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I mean I would imagine that he as a hollywood actor would have had the best advice and doctors .
    You have quite the imagination.

His diet was next to starvation. He did it for 4 months and lost 60lbs. If you do it for two weeks you'd probably lose about 7-10lbs.

Mellor wrote: »
    You have quite the imagination.

His diet was next to starvation. He did it for 4 months and lost 60lbs. If you do it for two weeks you'd probably lose about 7-10lbs.

Half of which will be water weight.And you'll probably put it all back on again within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,047 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Magnatu wrote: »
    Half of which will be water weight.And you'll probably put it all back on again within a few weeks.
    The calorie deficit could easily account for 7 lbs of fat.
    The water weight would be in top. Not sure why you think he'd put it all back on. Unless he was overeating, the fat he metabolised is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

They may not be intentionally lying. Unless they are weighing and tracking their food, a lot probably think they are eating less when in fact they aren't.
    Also OP, I would advise against your idea cos it just isn't healthy. If ya want to lose weight put yourself in a slight calorie deficit and just be patient. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It's not a good idea , for one you will lose a lot of your muscle along with fat - Bale didn't exactly look the best in that film now did he? You'll also be in a dangerous caloric deficet for no good reason and far more prone to break it anyway and binge out from severe deprevation.

If you want to lose weight , download Myfitnesspal learn to use it , go to the gym and lift weights and look to drop 1 - 1.5 pounds per week, that's the correct way and the safest way of doing it and will also produce the best results. Hollywood actors have medical teams monitoring them 24/7 during these extremes and also 'Probably' steroid use when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I mean come on. You can't be serious that there's a diet called the snake diet! So close to snake oil.

OP this sounds like a terrible idea. Chances are afterwards you'll continue your old eating habits which will gradually bring you back to homeostasis for that amount of food which I guess for you is 78 kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Doc07

Irishcrx wrote: »
    It's not a good idea , for one you will lose a lot of your muscle along with fat - Bale didn't exactly look the best in that film now......Hollywood actors have medical teams monitoring them 24/7 during these extremes and also 'Probably' steroid use when needed.

Good point. But if there actually are 24/7 services in Hollywood to help actors achieve this I’m fairly sure they are not legit. As a general rule the celebrity doctors who inject rich people with crap have nothing to do with actual healthcare and weren’t exactly the top of the class types. That applies to Ireland/UK as well as Hollywood

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Doc07

It's not a good idea , for one you will lose a lot of your muscle along with fat - Bale didn't exactly look the best in that film now......Hollywood actors have medical teams monitoring them 24/7 during these extremes and also 'Probably' steroid use when needed.

Good point. But if there actually are 24/7 services in Hollywood to help actors achieve this I’m fairly sure they are not legit. As a general rule the celebrity doctors who inject rich people with crap have nothing to do with actual healthcare and weren’t exactly the top of the class types. That applies to Ireland/UK as well as Hollywood

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nothing else apart from water and vitamin supplements..
    don't forget the smokes and whiskey

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/gq-film-christian-bale-interview
    Your crash diet for The Machinist has been well-documented - a can of tuna and an apple a day, plus plenty of whisky and cigarettes. But you lost a fair bit of weight for 1998's Velvet Goldmine, too...

Yes, although I didn't do the rakish rock-star thing all that successfully, I have to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

Generally I would say taking an actors advice on losing weight or indeed anything major in your life is a terrible idea. An actors weight can seesaw up and down depending on the role they are trying to fill and they have a team around them to monitor their health while they binge/crash diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Chop off a leg and you'll easily lose a couple of stone AND the results will be instant. No waiting around at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It sounds like a set up to fail straight away. Maybe try three apples, and 3 cans of tuna. Except swap one can for a can of lentils to go with at dinner, and swap another one for a can of chickpeas and eat it with some vegetables for lunch
    Maybe swap one of the apples for a banana at lunch, and another for a bowl of berries after dinner with yogurt. Oh look now its a balanced healthy diet that will actually give your body nutrition and you wont be depressed and hungry all the time!

You could get an amazing body in a very short time from eating considerably more daily than an apple and some tuna, itll still take restraint and commitment, but dont need to go to any stupid unfeasible extremess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Why are people so obsessed with losing weight, rather than losing fat and gaining muscle. Starve yourself, lose your arse, keep your belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Hoboo wrote: »
    Why are people so obsessed with losing weight, rather than losing fat and gaining muscle. Starve yourself, lose your arse, keep your belly.

This in a nutshell. I don't think people really understand that weight and fat are not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I think you can make the assumption people mean fat when they say weight loss. I've never heard someone say they want to lose a load of muscle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This in a nutshell. I don't think people really understand that weight and fat are not the same thing.

if you are 10, 20, or 30 kg over weight and not an athlete its kind of a moot point I would have thought. its easy enough to have a couple of other targets and leave weight as being the balancing number.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement