Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards Greatest Manager Tournament

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Gah, really want to vote Ellering here but can't sadly :/

Sherri managed some of the great names in the business.

Ellering managed one of the greatest tag teams...

Ugh....

Sherri. Just.

Nice match up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,260 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sherri, she just was sensational :p what a client list

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ellering is no match for Queen Sherri whatsoever, 3-0. I feel this next match could really divide people.
    Jim Cornette

a3b13d84523255160e9f270d899349bc2c633929_hq.jpg

VS

Jimmy Hart

Classic_Photos_01_23.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ooh a toughie.

James E for me. Probably one of the greatest of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Jimmy Hart, growing up he was a just always on screen managing every body, even creating some tunes for them. Integral in one of the greatest angles in wrestling history, with lawler and Kaufmen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Jimmy Hart. Probably won't be appreciated this comment, but never got the allure of Cornette. Jimmy was at least slightly enjoyable, imo anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,340 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Tennis racket beats the megaphone for me just.

The talent got Jimmy over.

So James E for me he just got heat that got his talent over which is a managers job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Jim cornette. Great talker and always had an eye on him at ringside to see if he'd get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As great as Jimmy hart was in WWE, WCW and before that in Memphis he really is seen as hogans bag man while old James E Cornette managed one of the greatest tag teams ever and has also managed many other top people in the business.

So Jim cornette for me.

Corny wins 3-2 Battle of the Jims. Racket>Megaphone. We're nearly finished with Round 1, only a handful of matches left.
    Woman

20.jpg

VS

Johnny Polo

johnny_polo.png

• Advertisement

Oh. Raven I liked but Johnny polo kind of annoyed me or maybe that's not fair.

Woman aka Nancy Sullivan was good from what I've seen. She seemed to get what a manager/valet was meant to be and she was a valet for flair when he won the title with Elizabeth turning heel. The stuff at the end of her life while not relevant does come into my thinking.

BUT on wrestling management/valet I'll go for woman.

Woman for me. I never even knew Johnny Polo was a manager. Thought he was like an on screen personality

I'll make it a trio of votes for Woman. Like gerry above, hadn't a clue Johnny Polo was a manager tbh.

Quote the Woman ''nevermore!''. Raven/Johnny Polo bites the dust in a whitewash. Our penultimate pairing do battle here for the second last spot in Round 2. Who's gonna progress?
    Rick Rude

rudedegenerationx.jpg

Ted DiBiase

million-dollar-corporation.jpg

Ted. To me, more prolific.

He had Steve Austin, he had the Underfaker. He had Virgil (i'll get my coat). Always loved Ted. Big Richard Branson's head on him.

Could Rick be considered a manager? I always thought of him as an "Insurance Policy"

Di Biase. Rude I never really saw as a manager and anyways, it's Ted Di Biase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ted easily.

The Million Dollar Corporation were a great mid card stable.

Tatanka turning heel against Lex was a memorable feud.

The Million Dollar Man always gets his man. Ted is through to Round 2. Our final spot is up for grabs and the two in line for it couldn't be more different...
    Captain Lou Albano

12080956.jpg

VS

Sable

Marc-Mero.jpg

Captain Lou and surely to jaysus I don't need to explain this pick.

I suppose a vote for Cpt Lou from myself too. Seemed to be a mainstay of the late 80's early 90's

• Advertisement

Do the Mario!

Swing your hips from side to side,

Come on it's time to go,

Do the Mario!

Captain Lou for me.

Lou for me too. Don't think it needs explaining!

The good Captain claims the last spot in the next round. We'll pick this up tonight with the first of our Round 2 matches!

We're back a little later than scheduled but here we are and we're ready to go with Round 2. As before, three votes will see your favorite progress and we ask that you include a reason for your pick. Expect some closer contests in this round. Here we go...

Sunny

bodydonnas-1441605096-800.jpg

Talent Managed: Chris Candido, The Bodydonnas, The Godwinns, The Smokin' Gunns, LOD 2000

VS

The Sinister Minister aka Fr James Mitchell

jamesmitchell_6903.jpg

Talent Managed: Tajiri, Mikey Whipwreck, Abyss, Diciples of the New Church, Mortis, Wrath

Sunny by a long way.

Sunny for me again.

Mitchell, to me, seemed like an amalgamation of existing characters.

Gonna go Mitchell.

I feel Sunny gets a bit of a break here due to her... other... activities.

As a manager Mitchell to me is just better.

Looks wise, no question who the winner is though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 60,340 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Sinister Minister for a great managerial gimmick that worked so well.

Tied at 2-2. Next vote wins! I think I'll just about go Sinister Minister because he was so believable. Sunny was great to look at obviously. Pity Mitchel never really made it in either of the Big Two.

• Advertisement

Round 2 rolls on with a titanic tussle. Did you know that one these used to manage the other?
    Jim Cornette

a3b13d84523255160e9f270d899349bc2c633929_hq.jpg

Talent Managed: Midnight Express, Rock n Roll Express, Heavenly Bodies, Yokozuna, British Bulldog, Owen Hart, Vader, Dan Severn

Vs

'Sensational' Sherri Martel

4feeaefadesherri.jpg

Talents Managed:Shawn Michaels, Randy 'Macho Man' Savage, Harlem Heat, Ric Flair, Ted DiBiase, Honky Tonk Man

Advertisement