Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Linehan given police warning for "transphobia"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ligerdub wrote: »

We're also left with the odd situation of ignoring things we know to be true, all because of social expectations. For example, we're led to pretend that Bruce Jenner, the world famous Olympic decathlete, became a woman in his mid-60's! Actually that's not quite right is it, we are expected to go along with the person we know to be Bruce being a woman, but we are also to go along with the idea that Bruce was a woman in the process of winning those medals! I'll put it plainly that I really do not believe that to be reasonable or fair on people. To compound matters, not only are we to consider the winner of the gold medal for the decathlon in the 1976 Olympic Games to be a man, it wasn't Bruce (who is that?), it was Caitlyn! No thanks.

This person wants to have their criminal charges thrown out as apparently that person no longer exists due to them changing gender. I highly doubt the case will be successful but it sets a dangerous precedent if it is and I predict a lot of criminals changing gender all of a sudden if so. We already know that of prisoners in the UK who identify as transgender, almost half are sex offenders. One of them managed to be sent to a women's prison where he committed sexual assaults on female prisoners. Another one, a convicted paedophile is housed in a women's prison with a mother and baby unit. Self ID is ripe for exploitation by people who may not necessarily be trans, I'm surprised no one considered any of these possibilities when it was being proposed. Oh yes, they weren't allowed to discuss it without being labelled bigots and having their jobs and safety threatened
    A District Judge is to consider legal submissions as to whether a transgender person could be properly before a court on a charges under the Misuse of Drugs Act, having been charged as a male but was now registered under the Gender Recognition Act of 2015 as a female.

The issue arose when an application was made by the State before Judge Fiona Lydon at Castlebar Court today to amend the Christian name of the defendant named on the summons from a male to a female.

The solicitor for the defendant, Ms. Fiona Daly, objected to the application by the State to amend the summons brought before the court against the defendant under the Misuse of Drugs Act.

It was Ms. Daly's contention that the person, who was named on the summons, did not exist and any attempt to amend any summons would compromise that person's constitutional and human rights under the Gender Recognition Act.

Due to the sensitive nature of the case the court asked that the defendant not be named publicly.

The person had changed their named by deed poll in June of 2016 and had obtained a gender recognition certificate.

Superintendant Joe McKenna said the State would argue that this was one and the same person.

Judge Lydon adjourned the matter to the November 21 sitting of Castlebar District Court when evidence will be heard from the gardai of details provided by the person when they were arrested.

The defence's case is that that person no longer exists and therefore the prosecution should not and could not proceed as it would be a violation of the rights of the defendant under the Gender Recognition Act.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/10/03/4162881-judge-to-consider-legal-points-in-mayo-case-involving-transgender-person/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

If I was a member of a group that has historically faced violence and discrimination solely for existing, I might feel differently.

I don’t see the relevance of the fact that “Stephanie” is English and Linehan is Irish, and therefore historically discriminated against solely for existing by the trans woman’s forebears, is all that relevant as she called the cops on him not vice versa.

The British cops do like intimidating the Irish though, so there’s that.

I'm fairly confused by this whole thing. Not that I'd ever spend much time thinking about this sort of stuff.

Linehan was a darling of the Twitterati for many years now. Which is grand. Left-leaning middle class sorts are entitled to their opinion. You'd sometimes question if they could ever truly practice what they preach, but that's for another day.

What I don't get is that he is being backed this evening by some extremely prominent feminist academics. Some of them are on the fringes of radical theory regarding politics and gender. Yet, others who appear to be men of the same political persuasion are throwing online stones at him. What gives?

What gives is that the idea of transsexualism isn’t as accepted amongst the left or feminism (or even the young) as is generally believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Don't hear of many females identifying as men entering their spaces.

Well, there's the "Man Friday" people. But they're not identifying as men, just claiming they are for the precise duration of their stunts.

Mainly, though, I think you "don't hear of" trans men in such terms because for various reasons. There just isn't the same red-top moral panic about them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

nEW THREAD ON THE BOARDS. NOT TO UPSET THE SNOB PLUBS. BECAUSE YOU WILL BE BARRED. POST WHAT YOU WANT UNTIL YOU UPSET THE SNOBS. WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS **** BOARDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

nEW THREAD ON THE BOARDS. NOT TO UPSET THE SNOB PLUBS. BECAUSE YOU WILL BE BARRED. POST WHAT YOU WANT UNTIL YOU UPSET THE SNOBS. WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS **** BOARDS.

You angry about being banned from MMA or just drunk? Head away to bed fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'm no fan of Graham, but I can't believe the police are siding with this crazy man !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ligerdub wrote: »
    Oh indeed, it's not complicated at all is it?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/10930654/Facebooks-71-gender-options-come-to-UK-users.html

Of course it's not complicated if you treat it for the load of tripe that it is, but I'm guessing that isn't what you meant. Let's not forget that we're not talking about some sort of new technology such as learning how to use a computer or something, we're talking about the discarding of a very reasonable and logical explanation for how human life (and by association all mammalian life) works. There's no issue with challenging our views of long-held "truths" but let us challenge that with evidence and a proper debate, not by bullying and social shame for having the guts to go against some sort of cultural trend.

We're also left with the odd situation of ignoring things we know to be true, all because of social expectations. For example, we're led to pretend that Bruce Jenner, the world famous Olympic decathlete, became a woman in his mid-60's! Actually that's not quite right is it, we are expected to go along with the person we know to be Bruce being a woman, but we are also to go along with the idea that Bruce was a woman in the process of winning those medals! I'll put it plainly that I really do not believe that to be reasonable or fair on people. To compound matters, not only are we to consider the winner of the gold medal for the decathlon in the 1976 Olympic Games to be a man, it wasn't Bruce (who is that?), it was Caitlyn! No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

The irony of it all considering he himself is usually typically SJW but the fact the police are even involved is pathetic in the extreme especially in a democratic society which is supposed to treasure free speech and expression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I don’t see the relevance of the fact that “Stephanie” is English and Linehan is Irish, and therefore historically discriminated against solely for existing by the trans woman’s forebears, is all that relevant as she called the cops on him not vice versa.

The British cops do like intimidating the Irish though, so there’s that.

As far as I know, she wasn't attacking "Linehan" on the grounds that he's Irish, so your point is nonsensical. He, on the other hand, was attacking her on the grounds that she is a transgender activist, and used her previous identity against her, sharing it with his 600,000 followers, potentially causing some of them to pile on. Nasty stuff. Anyway, the "police" gave him a verbal warning, which has no legal standing whatsoever and is the next step up from doing nothing at all. As long as he is mature enough to take heed of it, it prevents any more of their time from being wasted by a pair of stupid adults acting like children.

The thing about Twitter is that equal actions don't have equal consequences. I once said something very mildly negative on Twitter about a right-wing activist (it was Milo Yiannopoulos, and I didn't address the comment directly @ him). He must have been either furiously searching his name, or maybe he received an alert whenever some nobody mentioned him, and he quote-tweeted my comment with something equally mild, to which I wasn't arsed responding. He probably forgot about it immediately, and I would have too... except... within seconds, his army of anonymous followers were hurling abuse at me (can you believe, some of them called me a 'cuck', an 'SJW' and a 'virtue signaler'?), presumably in the hope of being noticed by him or impressing him, I don't know. All I know is that it went on for two days and the notifications caused my phone's battery to die during the night. In fairness, it worked because I never mentioned the chap again. Celebrities tend to have a lot of sycophantic and weirdly protective followers. Linehan should know better.

• Advertisement

As far as I know, she wasn't attacking "Linehan" on the grounds that he's Irish, so your point is nonsensical. He, on the other hand, was attacking her on the grounds that she is a transgender activist, and used her previous identity against her, sharing it with his 600,000 followers, potentially causing some of them to pile on. Nasty stuff. Anyway, the "police" gave him a verbal warning, which has no legal standing whatsoever and is the next step up from doing nothing at all. As long as he is mature enough t

Except that's not what happened. She had a problem with linehan so she went after his wife by publishing her business details online. That is why he went on the attack, it's not because she is transgender but because his wife, who has nothing to do with this, was targeted. They are both in the wrong. She can't really complain about being "doxxed" when she did it first. Using the police to get the upper hand is ridiculous.

Mutant z wrote: »
    The irony of it all considering he himself is usually typically SJW [...]

Gee, it's almost as if "SJW" is a poorly defined broad brush epithet without any clear meaning, used with gleeful abandon by right-wing opponents of both second-wave feminist and trans-right people! (And of more besides.) Rather than a precise, technical political science description reflecting the nuances of people's views, as we'd all been assuming.

As far as I know, she wasn't attacking "Linehan" on the grounds that he's Irish, so your point is nonsensical. He, on the other hand, was attacking her on the grounds that she is a transgender activist, and used her previous identity against her, sharing it with his 600,000 followers, potentially causing some of them to pile on. Nasty stuff. Anyway, the "police" gave him a verbal warning, which has no legal standing whatsoever and is the next step up from doing nothing at all. As long as he is mature enough to take heed of it, it prevents any more of their time from being wasted by a pair of stupid adults acting like children.

I was responding to your claim that as a cis white male you (and by extension Linehan) wasnt “a member of a group that has historically faced violence and discrimination solely for existing. In fact of course he was.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Except that's not what happened. She had a problem with linehan so she went after his wife by publishing her business details online. That is why he went on the attack, it's not because she is transgender but because his wife, who has nothing to do with this, was targeted. They are both in the wrong. She can't really complain about being "doxxed" when she did it first. Using the police to get the upper hand is ridiculous.

They're a pair of idiots, and her subsequent behaviour is the equivalent of a child hitting someone, getting hit back and then running to mammy. But he did use the fact that she is transgender against her, and continually and knowingly referred to her by her previous name, sharing it with his 600,000 followers - huge power imbalance there. His excuse for misgendering her was that he always refers to his trans friends (hmmm...) by their preferred pronouns, but "refuses to respect the pronouns of misogynists".

I was responding to your claim that as a cis white male you (and by extension Linehan) wasnt “a member of a group that has historically faced violence and discrimination solely for existing. In fact of course he was.

Fair enough, I probably should have said 'currently' rather than 'historically', to avoid this kind of diversion.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Gee, it's almost as if "SJW" is a poorly defined broad brush epithet without any clear meaning, used with gleeful abandon by right-wing opponents of both second-wave feminist and trans-right people! (And of more besides.) Rather than a precise, technical political science description reflecting the nuances of people's views, as we'd all been assuming.

Oh a lot of revolutionary movements (and witch hunts or moral panics) consume their own radicals. Nothing new there, either.

They're a pair of idiots, and her subsequent behaviour is the equivalent of a child hitting someone, getting hit back and then running to mammy. But he did use the fact that she is transgender against her, and continually and knowingly referred to her by her previous name, sharing it with his 600,000 followers - huge power imbalance there. His excuse for misgendering her was that he always refers to his trans friends (hmmm...) by their preferred pronouns, but "refuses to respect the pronouns of misogynists".

Well as somone who is constantly going after women who don't agree with them, or the female partners of men who don't agree with them, I'd imagine that she does have issues with women tbh. She has more than one previous name btw all of which are in the public domain. Her being officially a female since May of this year doesn't erase those.

Oh a lot of revolutionary movements (and witch hunts or moral panics) consume their own radicals. Nothing new there, either.

Never mind "new", nothing remotely similar to the case or people being discussed, either.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Well as somone who is constantly going after women who don't agree with them, or the female partners of men who don't agree with them, I'd imagine that she does have issues with women tbh. She has more than one previous name btw all of which are in the public domain. Her being officially a female since May of this year doesn't erase those.

It doesn't erase them, but it also doesn't excuse Linehan using them for the sole purpose of being an asshole to her, in response to her being an asshole to him. The funny thing is, he has a history of blocking people for really trivial stuff, like criticism of Father Ted. They should have blocked each other and moved on, like adults.

It doesn't erase them, but it also doesn't excuse Linehan using them for the sole purpose of being an asshole to her, in response to her being an asshole to him. The funny thing is, he has a history of blocking people for really trivial stuff, like criticism of Father Ted. They should have blocked each other and moved on, like adults.

One thing I agree with you about is that the blue ticks should not pile on. They have too much power.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

cis white male

In the words of the great Norm McDonald, the term a "cis male" is a way of marginalizing normal people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I was going to offer my support to Graham but he blocked me on Twitter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

According to GCN.ie: “When you have positioned yourself as the “wokest of woke” men, this is obviously not a good look for a straight, white middle class and middle aged man.”

When I heard he was straight, white and middle class I knew he was a disgraceful privileged subbhuman. But he’s middle aged as well? He’s just pure evil, no need to even read on!

In relation to him being “woke” or “normally acting like an SJW”, people should just accept that most people hold varied opinions that don’t always align with the entire agenda of a particular social/political group.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Im running out of tongue to ****ing bite on every time i see topics on the T word on here!

Im running out of tongue to ****ing bite on every time i see topics on the T word on here!

In fairness, threads about this topic are rarely, if ever, started by people who are sympathetic to transgender people. They're just another group to bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I really don't know what the issue is in Ireland. If you want to change your gender you can without any medical evidence or other backup. Off you go.

There hasn't been a problem with this here, and that is good. Not good to make it into an issue that really should not have so much traction. It is surely a private issue for the trans person.

But it seems to be a big issue over there in Brexitland. We are so much better at these things here it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

In fairness, threads about this topic are rarely, if ever, started by people who are sympathetic to transgender people. They're just another group to bash.

I just don't think half of these subjects that affect so few people need to be discussed as often as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭SeanW

God there's a whole new language to learn. Deadnaming. Trigger warnings. "Privilege". Intersectionality. Manspreading. Mansplaining. "Woke". Millions of new gender pronouns.

Does anyone speak English anymore? :mad:
    It's mad that the police are entertaining this stuff though. It should be a Twitter matter imo, not a police matter.
    The UK now arrests over a thousand people a year for stuff they say on social media. In addition, this is the country that literally prosecuted a boy for calling Scientology a "cult".

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/may/20/1

This stuff is troubling and bizarre, but alas, not surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm a gay man with socially liberal views and a general centre-left political viewpoint but Im getting sick of the way additional letters are being added to the LGBT category that it is becoming meaningless. Also stupid terms like "cis", non-binary, TERF and other such rubbish...left wing ideology is eating itself.

Because I'm cautious about unfettered immigation to Europe and pre-op transwomen demanding to use women only spaces I've been branded an Islamophobe and a transphobe by some. Sad.

As you said - eating themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭removed2

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    As you said - eating themselves!

the star will gorge itself on clay

Advertisement