Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its offical, gender studies and its ilk are all fake.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

backspin. wrote: »
    If you owned a business would you employ someone with a gender studies degree. I know i wouldn't.

Employ them to do what exactly?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    You can make that same argument for Feminism.
    Absolutely. But doing what they object to radical feminists doing, isn't going to make them look any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

[quote="SoyBoy69;108274955"
    Finally, i would also put many popular scientists in the same bracket as the lower level postmodern thinkers. Michio Kaku, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Brian Cox, Andrea Ghez (black hole professor at UCLA)... all of these for me are charlatans at a certain level.[/quote]

So those that argue the possibility of collective consciousness are charlatans?

Time without any intelligence contribute to evolution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

In a previous role, I had a student try to argue that descriptions relating to swords being sheathed and unsheathed; being brandished; and being used stab or lob body parts off were all to do with the projection of male virility and sexual power!!

The scary thing was a couple of her classmates agreed!!

Once she concluded her argument I responded with "Now that's an interesting point......" (shorthand for "that's totally fûçking bonkers") before completely ignoring it and moving on to something more rational.

A crazy person once tried to convince me that the word 'vagina' comes from the latin word for 'sheath or scabbard'! and that the romans commonly referred to the penis as a 'gladius', or sword.

Naturally I just rolled my eyes and thought 'what a nutjob!'

Look at the whole mining industry since millennia.
    Clearly a case of men being coerced and duped by women into constructing enormous vagina worship monuments into the earth as shrines of women as earth mother, with men, in their thousands, forced to crawl into them as if back into the womb, and out of sight of the woman again.
    Its the ultimate in female domination.

Nah it's a group of men opening a hole and all piling in without consent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

wexie wrote: »

In fairness most people's degrees are a complete irrelevance to what they do. I've a degree in geography, never thought about it again the minute I walked out of college for the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

SoyBoy69 wrote: »
    also think there is a secular materialist orthodoxy in current times which tries to claim science as it's own. Personally, I feel science has become overextended into philosophical inquiry for political and ideological reasons and that it should have little import, and unprivileged import, into human philosophy.

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Well work in HR and institute gender quotas, run seminars on gender identity sensitivity training, white male privilege info seminars, gender pay gap awareness. Every company needs some of that surely...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

In a previous role, I had a student try to argue that descriptions relating to swords being sheathed and unsheathed; being brandished; and being used stab or lob body parts off were all to do with the projection of male virility and sexual power!!

The scary thing was a couple of her classmates agreed!!

Once she concluded her argument I responded with "Now that's an interesting point......" (shorthand for "that's totally fûçking bonkers") before completely ignoring it and moving on to something more rational.

Well the word vagina comes from the Latin for sheath from a sword so........ the student was kinda right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

As someone who basically has a masters degree in postmodernism, I'm sympathetic to the view that there is a lot of twaddle floating around in the curriculum, so I rather enjoy the Sokal affair.

Despite that, I do enjoy grappling with postmodern literature and I think much of it is very worthwhile. I also think there is a secular materialist orthodoxy in current times which tries to claim science as it's own. Personally, I feel science has become overextended into philosophical inquiry for political and ideological reasons and that it should have little import, and unprivileged import, into human philosophy.

An interesting comparison with the sokal affair is the reproducibility crisis in science which is ongoing.

Finally, i would also put many popular scientists in the same bracket as the lower level postmodern thinkers. Michio Kaku, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Brian Cox, Andrea Ghez (black hole professor at UCLA)... all of these for me are charlatans at a certain level.

Username checks out

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Given they're only qualified to talk bollocks, that's not really a career!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Given they're only qualified to talk bollocks, that's not really a career!

Tell that to most politicians.

Pa8301 wrote: »
    Tell that to most politicians.

Fair point!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

backspin. wrote: »
    Well work in HR and institute gender quotas, run seminars on gender identity sensitivity training, white male privilege info seminars, gender pay gap awareness. Every company needs some of that surely...

So if you were employing someone for that position you would avoid people with qualifications in gender studies? That's an odd one. That would seem to be quite a good qualification for that role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

BumChum wrote: »
    Science, in general, is taking a beating in terms of quality. We are drowning in questionable research.

Correct, there is an echo chamber of self sustaining junk "research" which is basically employing the unemployable doing "work" of no value to anyone.

https://www.nature.com/news/1-500-scientists-lift-the-lid-on-reproducibility-1.19970

Couple that with refusals to share data for verification and the public begins to lose respect and interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2010/feb/05/science-climate-emails-code-release

The fact that most scientific research is questionable is nothing new.

In 2015 the editor of the Lancet suggested that as much as 50% of the published literature was false.

https://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/05/16/editor-in-chief-of-worlds-best-known-medical-journal-half-of-all-the-literature-is-false/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You can say the same thing about Feminists.

Not this one you can't. I love men.

This is fun, an auto generator for fake Computer Sciences research:

https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/archive/scigen/#generate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Human Resources in Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What about Feminist Dance Theory? Are you trying to say that's a Mickey Mouse area of study aswell? Are you trying to say these ladies wasted 20 grand studying a load of bullsh't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Pseudo intellects using pseudo science all for power and to push their hateful ideologically. The scary thing many of the people pushing these falsehoods are in positions of power, "Professors", those at faculty levels and other positions like media that influence culture. This nonsense has to stop, it's rotting the brains of the youth and indoctrinating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

An interesting comparison with the sokal affair is the reproducibility crisis in science which is ongoing..

It only affects the pseudo-sciences: psychology, economics. And anything the drug companies have a hand in. The real sciences are just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There's inertia created by Universities' need for ever greater funding and what better way to fuel it by creating bull**** courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Absolutely. But doing what they object to radical feminists doing, isn't going to make them look any better.

True, but considering Men are raped financially in divorce courts and family courts and more often than not loose custody of their children, homes, cars, barely get to see their children and more often than not the ex-wife interferes to prevent them form seeing their children its not surprising that Men in the US are leaving the dating and marriage field.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,422 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I did my own research into Gender Studies and my conclusion is there are two genders...... male and female.

Go commit your hate crimes somewhere else.

Glazers Out!

Men in the US are leaving the dating and marriage field.

That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone and it cannot but spread.

Men are being vilified for being male.
    The man that vocal women appear to want to permit to exist nowadays is a not actually a man but some sort of camp sexless creature who is not permitted to display sexual interest in the opposite sex without being expected to apply for and be granted written consent to do so in the first place. It needs to be written and it will need to be filed away safely for future verification just like anything else that is important.

I listened to R Tubridy yesterday morning. I put on my very offended ears and heard him refer to women in terms he would never use about men.

Firstly he referred to Chelsea Clinton as someone who has "blossomed" since her teenage years.

Then he described Mary Kennedy as "elegant".

He had no business judging these women's elegance or whether they had blossomed or not.

This was all in the space of 15 minutes.

I just know the switchboard melted.

If Tubridy can't get treat gender issues properly, all men are in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

You guys need to step off social media for a while. Head to a pub or something. Your perception of reality is being distorted by extreme examples from media. You can still have regular relationships and human interaction.

You guys need to step off social media for a while. Head to a pub or something. Your perception of reality is being distorted by extreme examples from media. You can still have regular relationships and human interaction.

Agreed (your shout btw!!).

Asked several times how I can have a male best friend. Like it's something odd - "what does he prevent you from doing ?".

Sweet FA if you're interested! How does one's mind work like that ????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

I'm sure there's a gender fluid pun in there somewhere

Or else it's in the pipeline...

(Sorry)

Finally, i would also put many popular scientists in the same bracket as the lower level postmodern thinkers. Michio Kaku, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Brian Cox, Andrea Ghez (black hole professor at UCLA)... all of these for me are charlatans at a certain level.

At which level and why?
    Nope. They're the reason MGTOW [Men going their own way] is such a growing trend. The only people I feel sorry for in all of this are the cats that will have to put up with their insanity.

From what I've seen of MGTOW, they have their own problems.

• Advertisement

You guys need to step off social media for a while. Head to a pub or something.

Alcohol is not the answer :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement