Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its offical, gender studies and its ilk are all fake.

Options
  • 06-10-2018 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭

This proves what I have long suspected about fake fields of study like "gender studies", "queer studies", and a new one I had never heard of "fat studies", that each of these fields propagates total nonsense. The papers are written in gibberish that seeks to make opacity and pointlessness the end goal. These "academic" fields are so devoid of substance that so-called experts cannot distinguish between "real" and "fake" articles. Stop the nonsense. Make English Mean Something Again.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/new-sokal-hoax/572212/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_term=2018-10-05T10%3A00%3A15&utm_medium=social
    The sheer craziness of the papers the authors concocted makes this fact all the more shocking. One of their papers reads like a straightforward riff on the Sokal Hoax. Dismissing “western astronomy” as sexist and imperialist, it makes a case for physics departments to study feminist astrology—or practice interpretative dance—instead:

There is loads of gold here, but this one is my favourite.
    Yet another paper has a rather more sinister hue. In “Rubbing One Out: Defining Metasexual Violence of Objectification Through Nonconsensual Masturbation,” the fictitious author argues that men who masturbate while thinking about a woman without her consent are perpetrators of sexual violence:

By drawing upon empirical studies of psychological harms of objectification, especially through depersonalization, and exploring severel veins of theoretical literature on nonphysical forms of sexual violence, this articles seeks to situate non-concensual male autoerotic fantasizing about women as a form of metasexual violence that depersonalizes her, injures her being on an affective level, contributes to consequent harms of objectification and rape culture, and can appropriate her identity for the purpose of male sexual gratification.

This one also made me chuckle but itz also has very serious tyrnaical undertones.
    Sokal Squared doesn’t just expose the low standards of the journals that publish this kind of dreck, though. It also demonstrates the extent to which many of them are willing to license discrimination if it serves ostensibly progressive goals. This tendency becomes most evident in an article that advocates extreme measures to redress the “privilege” of white students. Exhorting college professors to enact forms of “experiential reparations,” the paper suggests telling privileged students to stay silent, or even binding them to the floor in chains. If students protest, educators are told to

take considerable care not to validate privilege, sympathize with, or reinforce it and in so doing, recenter the needs of privileged groups at the expense of marginalized ones. The reactionary verbal protestations of those who oppose the progressive stack are verbal behaviors and defensive mechanisms that mask the fragility inherent to those inculcated in privilege.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

When I was younger I read a sociological text about the symbolic phallic design of missiles. They represented the penis. The author, a male, didn’t really address anything with regards to aerodynamics and didn’t feel the neeed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

When I was younger I read a sociological text about the symbolic phallic design of missiles.

Cause us men are screwing the planet!!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

wexie wrote: »
    Cause us men are screwing the planet!!!

Or explode prematurely all over the launchpad.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SoyBoy69

As someone who basically has a masters degree in postmodernism, I'm sympathetic to the view that there is a lot of twaddle floating around in the curriculum, so I rather enjoy the Sokal affair.

Despite that, I do enjoy grappling with postmodern literature and I think much of it is very worthwhile. I also think there is a secular materialist orthodoxy in current times which tries to claim science as it's own. Personally, I feel science has become overextended into philosophical inquiry for political and ideological reasons and that it should have little import, and unprivileged import, into human philosophy.

An interesting comparison with the sokal affair is the reproducibility crisis in science which is ongoing.

Finally, i would also put many popular scientists in the same bracket as the lower level postmodern thinkers. Michio Kaku, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Brian Cox, Andrea Ghez (black hole professor at UCLA)... all of these for me are charlatans at a certain level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There's way too many big words in this thread already...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Official? Have the lords of the internet confirmed this?

If anyone's interested here's an article written by the actual people that conducted the study, complete with the papers they submitted.

https://areomagazine.com/2018/10/02/academic-grievance-studies-and-the-corruption-of-scholarship/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

When I was younger I read a sociological text about the symbolic phallic design of missiles. They represented the penis. The author, a male, didn’t really address anything with regards to aerodynamics and didn’t feel the neeed to.

That phallic metaphor nonsense is surprisingly common and rarely called out as the BS it is. I've had well educated people try to tell me that skyscrapers are entirely a phallic extension of male ego, nothing to do with efficient land use in crowded cities, and read respected film reviewers describing light sabers as a phallic representation (Peter Biskind in a weird critique of Star Wars).

These people must have penis on the brain all the time. Imagine identifying everyday objects as a vagina metaphor and trying to sound clever by saying it in public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    That phallic metaphor nonsense is surprisingly common and rarely called out as the BS it is. I've had well educated people try to tell me that skyscrapers are entirely a phallic extension of male ego, nothing to do with efficient land use in crowded cities, and read respected film reviewers describing light sabers as a phallic representation (Peter Biskind in a weird critique of Star Wars).

These people must have penis on the brain all the time. Imagine identifying everyday objects as a vagina metaphor and trying to sound clever by saying it in public?

Probably because they're not getting any.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'm about ten years out of the plumbing and heating business.
    Back then, we had male and female pipe fittings.

Fook knows what they're called these days!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

padd b1975 wrote: »

Fook knows what they're called these day!!

I'm sure there's a gender fluid pun in there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

A friend of mine did a PhD in Gender Studies at <better to snip the university name> and she said literally every lecturer / staff member hates men. A few live as lesbians out of spite, even though they're not naturally lesbians. She said it was incredibly toxic.

She's normal and reasonable. I'm not exaggerating when I say she said every lecturer / staff member hates men.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    A few live as lesbians out of spite, even though they're not naturally lesbians. She said it was incredibly toxic.

See something like that would actually be worth studying from a psychological point of view.

But it'd take a brave man person to bring that up I'd imagine

padd b1975 wrote: »

Fook knows what they're called these days!!
    Most are simply called couplings, except when the "gender" has to be stated.
    https://www.ie.screwfix.com/pegler-prestex-px42-male-compression-coupling-22mm-x.html
    https://www.ie.screwfix.com/female-coupler-22mm-x.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

There's way too many big words in this thread already...

'are'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    A few live as lesbians out of spite, even though they're not naturally lesbians.

I'm not exaggerating when I say she said every lecturer / staff member hates men

Will it ever dawn on these morons, in doing so that they're actually doing 'men' a favour, by not making some unfortunate wretch of a man have to live with one of them. Someone, somewhere has dodged a bullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Will it ever dawn on these morons, in doing so that they're actually doing 'men' a favour, by not making some unfortunate wretch of a man have to live with one of them. Someone, somewhere has dodged a bullet.

Nope. They're the reason MGTOW [Men going their own way] is such a growing trend. The only people I feel sorry for in all of this are the cats that will have to put up with their insanity.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Nope. They're the reason MGTOW [Men going their own way] is such a growing trend. The only people I feel sorry for in all of this are the cats that will have to put up with their insanity.

That is so pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I like chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

MGTOW is not just because of a minority of psychos. It's guys who only want to be with women who are bitches, so they decide all women are bitches. They're not interested in women who are just normal and rational (yes, plenty of us exist) - also, because of their unpleasant attitude, women are turned off by them, which further confirms (to them) that women are all bitches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Gotta have time on your hands for all of this shoite.

MGTOW is not just because of a minority of psychos. It's guys who only want to be with women who are bitches, so they decide all women are bitches. They're not interested in women who are just normal and rational (yes, plenty of us exist) - also, because of their unpleasant attitude, women are turned off by them, which further confirms (to them) that women are all bitches.

So basically incels have rebranded themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

No, the two terms are used. They also refer to guys who don't have luck with the ladies because none find them attractive, which is of course sh1t for the guys - very lonely and frustrating, but if women aren't into them, that's not the women being horrible (so long as they are not bitches about it), it's just personal preference, which doesn't deserve resentment/misogyny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Ball-istic Misseiles

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dating is hard. For some people, it's very hard. A certain kind of mind decides it's definitely the other gender's fault more or less. Those who leave it there and give up, I guess I can understand and empathise with. Those who obsess about it, read and write about constantly it in little online echo-chambers... I don't get it. They seem to get caught in a toxic little loop where their attitudes reinforce their isolation which reinforces their attitudes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Did a master's in NUIG, one of the social sciences, and it was pretty shocking how openly a few of the lectures hated men. Out of 40 members of staff in the department they have one guy yet the gender pay gap and men holding women back was the entire topic of a few modules.

About have the female staff were from actual science/medical backgrounds and they had zero man bashing, however the lesbian who resembled Bosco was hardcore, I wish I could post a picture of her.

Needless to say the Masters wasn't worth the paper it's printed on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

There are differences between the two.

MGTOW are guys that have had, generally, bad experiences with women. Perhaps they have been married and have divorced or were in a relationship that ended badly.

Incels have never had sexual relationships with women.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Is MGTOW just not wanting to get married? You that you aren't tied to a woman

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 18 Afro Turner

JJayoo wrote: »
    Did a master's in NUIG, one of the social sciences, and it was pretty shocking how openly a few of the lectures hated men. Out of 40 members of staff in the department they have one guy yet the gender pay gap and men holding women back was the entire topic of a few modules.

About have the female staff were from actual science/medical backgrounds and they had zero man bashing, however the lesbian who resembled Bosco was hardcore, I wish I could post a picture of her.

Needless to say the Masters wasn't worth the paper it's printed on

NUIG is a clown college.

Advertisement