Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its offical, gender studies and its ilk are all fake.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I did my own research into Gender Studies and my conclusion is there are two genders...... male and female.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    That phallic metaphor nonsense is surprisingly common and rarely called out as the BS it is. I've had well educated people try to tell me that skyscrapers are entirely a phallic extension of male ego, nothing to do with efficient land use in crowded cities, and read respected film reviewers describing light sabers as a phallic representation (Peter Biskind in a weird critique of Star Wars).

These people must have penis on the brain all the time. Imagine identifying everyday objects as a vagina metaphor and trying to sound clever by saying it in public?

Have a serious look at ancient standing stones... male domination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Look at the whole mining industry since millennia.
    Clearly a case of men being coerced and duped by women into constructing enormous vagina worship monuments into the earth as shrines of women as earth mother, with men, in their thousands, forced to crawl into them as if back into the womb, and out of sight of the woman again.
    Its the ultimate in female domination.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

JJayoo wrote: »
    Is MGTOW just not wanting to get married? You that you aren't tied to a woman
    In the context of divorce settlements and alimony payments, it's a reasonable course for men to take tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Look at the whole mining industry since millennia.
    Clearly a case of men being coerced and duped by women into constructing enormous vagina worship monuments into the earth as shrines of women as earth mother, with men, in their thousands, forced to crawl into them as if back into the womb, and out of sight of the woman again.
    Its the ultimate in female domination.

if you had the time you should write a paper on that and get it published :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Did a master's in NUIG, one of the social sciences, and it was pretty shocking how openly a few of the lectures hated men. Out of 40 members of staff in the department they have one guy yet the gender pay gap and men holding women back was the entire topic of a few modules.

About have the female staff were from actual science/medical backgrounds and they had zero man bashing, however the lesbian who resembled Bosco was hardcore, I wish I could post a picture of her.

Needless to say the Masters wasn't worth the paper it's printed on

One has to ask the question as to why women (or manginas) do gender studies. You'd really have to be anti male in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    One has to ask the question as to why women (or manginas) do gender studies. You'd really have to be anti male in the first place!
    They're the type of people who harp on about encouraging women into STEM because it's easier than actually getting a STEM degree/career themselves. Empty vessels make the most noise and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/it-is-impossible-for-women-to-be-sexist-towards-men-440072.html

What amazes me about educated people try to do word play about what is institutional discrimination and discrimination on a personal level. The claim comes from minorities too where because the institutions are not run by them they can't be racist to others.

Let's be clear hey are two different things. You can be sexist as a women and not have control over the government or institutions. If you are going to claim that the institutions have never favoured women you have not paid attention.

For decades women were allowed retire before men while they actually live longer, men get longer prison sentences, they couldn't get children's allowance paid to them for decades and it is still defaulted to the mother, maternity benefit is far greater than paternity benefit even considering the practicalities of birth. Women are automatically trusted in many situations like care professions and more sinisterly in domestic abuse claims. So institutionally men are held down by women favoured policies and women do gain from it so the claims falls down both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    That phallic metaphor nonsense is surprisingly common and rarely called out as the BS it is. I've had well educated people try to tell me that skyscrapers are entirely a phallic extension of male ego, nothing to do with efficient land use in crowded cities, and read respected film reviewers describing light sabers as a phallic representation (Peter Biskind in a weird critique of Star Wars).

These people must have penis on the brain all the time. Imagine identifying everyday objects as a vagina metaphor and trying to sound clever by saying it in public?

In a previous role, I had a student try to argue that descriptions relating to swords being sheathed and unsheathed; being brandished; and being used stab or lob body parts off were all to do with the projection of male virility and sexual power!!

The scary thing was a couple of her classmates agreed!!

Once she concluded her argument I responded with "Now that's an interesting point......" (shorthand for "that's totally fûçking bonkers") before completely ignoring it and moving on to something more rational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I did my own research into Gender Studies and my conclusion is there are two genders...... male and female.

Nazi racist bigot.

This is the danger of the far right trying to mix facts with the truth.
    There are 47 genders and that is the truth.
    Not interested in facts or stereotypes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Nazi racist bigot.

This is the danger of the far right trying to mix facts with the truth.
    There are 47 genders and that is the truth.
    Not interested in facts or stereotypes.
    Here's how you figure out your biological gender - when you go to the doctor, do you get a smear test or prostate exam? Smear = female. Prostate = male. There are unlimited gender identities because some attention seekers have far too much time on their hands and want to feel special by being different and edgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

silverharp wrote: »
    if you had the time you should write a paper on that and get it published :D

It strays into suggesting men are victims and women are victimisers. Which isnt allowed afaik. I would probably get arrested, or worse, harassed on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Because its one of those courses that more than likely takes place in an auditorium so you can either sleep the whole class or sneak out once you've signed the attendance sheet.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/it-is-impossible-for-women-to-be-sexist-towards-men-440072.html

What amazes me about educated people try to do word play about what is institutional discrimination and discrimination on a personal level. The claim comes from minorities too where because the institutions are not run by them they can't be racist to others.

Let's be clear hey are two different things. You can be sexist as a women and not have control over the government or institutions. If you are going to claim that the institutions have never favoured women you have not paid attention.

For decades women were allowed retire before men while they actually live longer, men get longer prison sentences, they couldn't get children's allowance paid to them for decades and it is still defaulted to the mother, maternity benefit is far greater than paternity benefit even considering the practicalities of birth. Women are automatically trusted in many situations like care professions and more sinisterly in domestic abuse claims. So institutionally men are held down by women favoured policies and women do gain from it so the claims falls down both ways

The Left love rewriting definitions to suit their agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

SoyBoy69 wrote: »
    As someone who basically has a masters degree in postmodernism, I'm sympathetic to the view that there is a lot of twaddle floating around in the curriculum, so I rather enjoy the Sokal affair.

Despite that, I do enjoy grappling with postmodern literature and I think much of it is very worthwhile. I also think there is a secular materialist orthodoxy in current times which tries to claim science as it's own. Personally, I feel science has become overextended into philosophical inquiry for political and ideological reasons and that it should have little import, and unprivileged import, into human philosophy.

An interesting comparison with the sokal affair is the reproducibility crisis in science which is ongoing.

Finally, i would also put many popular scientists in the same bracket as the lower level postmodern thinkers. Michio Kaku, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Brian Cox, Andrea Ghez (black hole professor at UCLA)... all of these for me are charlatans at a certain level.

Why do you believe these people to be charlatans?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BumChum

Places of higher education need some severe scrutiny put upon them. Its like the wild-west in terms of setting up any old guff, convincing people that its going to provide a solid foundation for the rest of their lives, and then holding the hand out for significant sums of money from the students/government/taxpayers, and often all three at the same time.

This kind of stuff will collapse sooner rather than later, and I feel genuinely sorry for the poor students that have been duped.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 boundlessSea

For government funded research there should be much better quality, I am not sure how this could be done, maybe it could be assessed by external people outside an academic field, maybe some academic sub-fields like gender studies should have their funding reduced until they improve the quality of their research (and how evidence is evaluated) and reduce the field's politicization but this could interfere with academic freedom which would be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BumChum

For government funded research there should be much better quality, I am not sure how this could be done, maybe it could be assessed by external people outside an academic field, maybe some academic sub-fields like gender studies should have their funding reduced until they improve the quality of their research (and how evidence is evaluated) and reduce the field's politicization but this could interfere with academic freedom which would be bad.

Science, in general, is taking a beating in terms of quality. We are drowning in questionable research.

Particularly speaking, I find a lot of these gender studies and cultural study courses to be outrageous from the get-go. It has practically become its own little industry, self-justifying its existence via "publications" that can neither be verified or even questioned in some cases.

What does a graduate of gender studies even DO after college? Besides the apparent inclination toward protesting and scolding people online, surely its a gigantic feedback loop where the only thing realistically possible is to return to academics.....hence b&llocking up the lives of ANOTHER class load of naïve youngsters!

If teenagers are lost in idealism, parents need to cop them on to reality. You can have good intentions AND not waste your life at the same time. You usually get one chance at college, and to waste it on this is mind-boggling.

Its the emperors new clothes of academics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

That is so pathetic.

Found the faux-lesbian gender professor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

greencap wrote: »
    Found the faux-lesbian gender professor.
    Ah here, I can't stand that SJW stuff, but as a woman, I also can't stand that MGTOW stuff either, since it is blatantly hostile to women.

Both silly extremes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I didn't do gender studies lol, it was more in the research field, or at least it was meant to be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ah here, I can't stand that SJW stuff, but as a woman, I also can't stand that MGTOW stuff either, since it is blatantly hostile to women.

Both silly extremes.

Is it hostel to women tho? Like the guys don't suddenly shun women and become celebate, they just don't want a relationship/marriage.

Unless I have it arseways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Is it hostel to women tho? Like the guys don't suddenly shun women and become celebate, they just don't want a relationship/marriage.
    No I don't think that basic philosophy is anti women, but it has become a movement that is drawing the anti women types like bees to honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I know a woman who is the head of a bank in Asia. She even has a wikipedia page.

I was talking to a bunch of feminists and they were saying there is a glass ceiling for women.

I told them, well I have a friend who is the head of a bank here.

They asked me how did she get the job.

I said she works all the time. Even on holiday she is working. Basically through sheer effort she was able to get to the top.

Their response: why should we have to do that?

This is the problem: they want the power without having to do the work. Any woman can accomplish any job (within reason; obviously there are physical strength differences) as long as she's willing to do what men do: work hard, work long hours, make your job the priority in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Nope. They're the reason MGTOW [Men going their own way] is such a growing trend. The only people I feel sorry for in all of this are the cats that will have to put up with their insanity.

Lol. I’d to google that. What a load of seething bitter losers.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Lol. I’d to google that. What a load of seething bitter losers.

You can say the same thing about Feminists.

Both silly extremes.

You can make that same argument for Feminism. It may have started out with noble intentions, but it is definitely a Man hating ideology now. MGTOW/Menism or whatever was inevitable as a counter balance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You can make that same argument for Feminism. It may have started out with noble intentions, but it is definitely a Man hating ideology now. MGTOW/Menism or whatever was inevitable as a counter balance.

You can but you need to cherrypick a few examples that suit your confirmation bias and then use that small sample size as representative. By that measure, I can assume that MGTOW is a pro-Nazi ideology.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

You can say the same thing about Feminists.

If feminists were on about withdrawing to a cabin in the woods and refusing to interact in any way with men then I'd probably agree with you. (Maybe some are, they're obviously mad.)

If we're being honest, anyone professing to be part of this 'MGTOW' stuff has something wrong with them. They strike me as a shower of inadequates who seem to be filled with rage because women won't ride them; which is unsurprising considering they're clearly oddballs. I blame the internet for this carry on myself.

Back in the day a fella might be exposed to advice from his friends or family on how to buck himself up but now the same lad can go online and get sucked down a rabbit hole that turns his brain to mush and has him going around the gaff hating women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

If you owned a business would you employ someone with a gender studies degree. I know i wouldn't.

Advertisement