Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut children's allowance after 3 kids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Yes, which is the cost of putting one of those eight kids in crèche for a single month. The idea of there being a Children's Allowance which incentivises people to have more children only exists in the minds of the morons here who utterly fail to see how the wealthiest in society have a myriad of ways to ensure they get much more from the state than somebody on welfare could ever get.

It's quite extraordinary how obsessive people here get about people on welfare, but never once start threads about the enormous rise in inequality in the western world since the early 1970s, a divide which has actually become significantly larger as a result of the last recession.

Start a thread then:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yes, which is the cost of putting one of those eight kids in crèche for a single month. The idea of there being a Children's Allowance which incentivises people to have more children only exists in the minds of the morons here who utterly fail to see how the wealthiest in society have a myriad of ways to ensure they get much more from the state than somebody on welfare could ever get.

It's quite extraordinary how obsessive people here get about people on welfare, but never once start threads about the enormous rise in inequality in the western world since the early 1970s, a divide which has actually become significantly larger as a result of the last recession.

i completely agree with your above statements, but to some degree, its understandable why such debates occur, rising inequality isnt exactly tangible, its a thing, an entity, these debates involve peoples emotions, and we tend to be a little illogical when emotions get involved, its hard to see yourself effectively becoming poorer, while gaining access to more and more consumables., but thankfully, theres more and more evidence being presented to support your above opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I know a fair few traveller families from various areas (albeit, all in Louth/Meath/Dublin/Cavan/Monaghan) and they have no shortage of children.

Traveller birth rates are high but avg lifespan is also much lower thanks to rampant suicide, lack of education and in some cases criminal activity.
    I can understand the angle you're coming at it from, but personal responsibility has to play a part.

If this came into effect, in theory it shouldn't harm any kids, as people who aren't able to support a child wouldnt (or at least shouldn't) have one.

Totally theoretical. In practice there would be many instances of accidental pregnancies due to negligence. Harming a child will never fly so you could never cap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I remember my teacher saying something to the effect of the below when I was about 12 and learning about history.

A large angry crowd were encroaching on King Richards castle, and he was panicking, saying oh sh't, what am I going to do. These people had torches, pitchforks, catapults, it looked like they were up for a right barney. They had grown sick of the absentee landlord in his high castle profiting on their backs, when they couldn't feed their families and house them.

What did his advisors tell him? Fight them head on? Deploy the archers?

No. They told him that all you need to do is convince the people with the torches that the people with the pitchforks are trying to take them, and convince the people with the pitchforks that the people with the torches are trying to take them, that they are sneaky, greedy, underhanded bastards who would take their pitchforks at the first opportunity.

So fight it out here on boards lads, but ask yourself who the real idiot is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

As their parent(s) work...and in doing so, are providing the wherewiithall to support those who have no such need of such facilities.
    The idea of there being a Children's Allowance which incentivises people to have more children only exists in the minds of the morons here who utterly fail to see how the wealthiest in society have a myriad of ways to ensure they get much more from the state than somebody on welfare could ever get.

These being the same morons who see work, effort and reward as a virtue, rather than benifeting from the labour of others as an entitlement.
    Yes, money makes money, and its worthy of a tread, theres a touch of whataboutery of it. But children shouldnt be seen/used as a way of making money. 8
    The only morons are those that think this is sustainable. People need to be responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The cost of putting a child in crèche is not applicable if you don’t work. Either you stay home and don’t send them th childcare or with a medical card and a lone parent allowance you get €145 a week to put them into crèche until their free ECCE place comes due.

Now, why someone who is unemployed would get subsidised childcare at all I cannot fathom, but once again the onerous costs of childcare in this country effect only those who work for a living and struggle to make ends meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    The very fact that Citizens information have to publish the below, is worrying enough.

Family sizeMonthly rate, €
    One child 140
    Two children280
    Three children420
    Four children560
    Five children700
    Six children840
    Seven children 980

Eight children 1,120

With 8 kids on the above allowances I'd say the parent(s) are at home with no child minding fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Cut children's allowance after 3 kids.
    Any more it's your choice, like Sky Sports.
    It encourages people who shouldn't have more, and those who really can't afford more, to have more.

Allowance for 9th kid? Crazy. We'd see a little more restraint and more room in Garda Station waiting rooms if it was stopped.

This is like worrying about a scratch on the door while you have a chimney fire burning out of control.

The amount of thanks the OP got. I used to think boards had its head screwed on. Some of you are fcuking idiots.

The amount of thanks the OP got. I used to think boards had its head screwed on. Some of you are fcuking idiots.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Fcuk the kids.

Steady up with the beastality.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So many of the AH threads in the last few years sound like poor relations escaped from Stormfront. Not even worth the clicking.
    questioning the way tax money is spent? that's neo nazi talk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

For an Oirish forum there's a load of Daily Wail type rubbish about "scroungers" living the high life on benefits posted in it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

dotsman wrote: »
    Any adult not able to even independently look after themselves financially should not be bringing children into this world.
    you are worse than Hitler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Make people apply for a license to have kids then do a pre kids course then be monitered and IQ tested also made to outline the path they intend to lay out for the child and what education they intend to provide..

Who'll be left to do the menial jobs like shelf stacking, I.T., road sweeping etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    You do realise there is 7 Billion people in the world?

Totally unsustainable.

The worlds entire population can fit into the state of Texas and still have 10 m square for each person. BTW Europe’s population is falling and aging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Peatys wrote: »
    Who'll be left to do the menial jobs like shelf stacking, I.T., road sweeping etc?

??? wtf are you talking about?

I think he means QA. Always unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

What do you do for a living?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    The worlds entire population can fit into the state of Texas and still have 10 m square for each person. BTW Europe’s population is falling and aging.
    Sure, if we didn't need such luxuries as fresh water or food. We all take up far more space, in terms of the resources we use, than the bit of ground we happen to be on.

We could use less, but not all that much less, not if we want to have the kind of quality of life that we've come to enjoy. So yes, more people could survive on this planet, but I'd like to think that the point of life is not just survival. :o

As for the point about Europe's population aging and shrinking - that is a natural intelligent reaction to the state of the world. We should be more concerned about those who don't see the problem and keep on expanding their populations.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    We should be more concerned about those who don't see the problem and keep on expanding their populations.

As Garda stations will fill up quite quickly.

The idea of there being a Children's Allowance which incentivises people to have more children only exists in the minds of the morons here who utterly fail to see how.... .

At least you're open to hearing other opinions without name calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Child benefit should be allowed as a tax credit instead. Also link it to inflation. Reviewed every two years.

Child benefit should be allowed as a tax credit instead. Also link it to inflation. Reviewed every two years.

That makes some sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If ya made it a refundable tax credit, it might work. Either it reduces your overall tax take, thus giving more take home pay or it pushes past the €0 threshold of non-refundable credits and gives ya back a certain amount.

Only prolem with it would be those who got the cheque for a refund and splurged it all and then turn around and start crying they cant afford to feed de kids and need more....the one advantage of CB is its doled out quite sparingly.

The very fact that Citizens information have to publish the below, is worrying enough.

Family sizeMonthly rate, €
    One child 140
    Two children280
    Three children420
    Four children560
    Five children700
    Six children840
    Seven children 980

Eight children 1,120

Does anyone think you should really have 8 kids and take this much cash from the State?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

it was tongue in cheek - thanks party jungle some folks take themselves too seriously!! End of the road would make a good social worker methinks...... I on the other hand would not Cheers!!

And more cash for the 10 kids now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Feck off to China the lot of ye.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Cut the twins/multiple allowance. Maybe a once off at birth payment but to continue it indefinitely is grossly unfair on parents who have 2 kids pretty close together.

Advertisement