Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda savagely attacked by youths

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Danzy wrote: »
    If that isn't treated as a direct assault on the country and the writ of law then it is a clear encouragement to others.

It is way more serious than the drug dealing or if they robbed a bank.

Very true. An assault on a Guard is an assault on the authority of the State which in turn is all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Would you have wanted the Gardai to shoot them in this scenario?

In this case it would have been justified and by that I mean shoot till they are down and stay down.

The rule of law either exists or it doesn't.

I'm no great fan of the Guards, the force is shocking in its incompetence and corruption but there is either law or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

While in the city on Dame Street today I witnessed a fist fight between 3 guys in the open, broad daylight. Not a garda to be seen.

(bit embarrassed because tourists were looking at this spectacle as well)

If we refuse to have what I would regard as a proper police force up to normal western standards - and the fact we subsidise scumbags to the extent we do - what do we expect?

There is no real punishment.

BTW I regard this story as an attempted murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,157 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why don't you have a little look through this amazing search tool called Google see if you find anything recently about scumbag behaviour.

I'll help you out with the first one https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/crime-rate-increases-significantly-over-past-year-1.3443096%3fmode=amp

From your article:
    The Central Statistics Office (CSO) has also cautioned that it is releasing the figures for last year “under reservation”. That warning is unprecedented.

Twelve months ago the CSO stopped publishing any new crime data because problems emerged with the homicide figures.

It has now agreed to recommence publication but with the warning that it is not satisfied with how crime is being recorded on the Garda’s computerised Pulse database. It is from Pulse that the CSO gets raw crime data for compiling into the State’s official quarterly and annual crime statistics.

Senior CSO statistician Olive Loughnane said while her agency had agreed to begin publishing crime data again, it was not satisfied with the raw data it has been given by the Garda.

“Pulse data is now subject to a number of separate ongoing quality reviews and does not currently meet the CSO’s standards for completeness and accuracy,” she said.

Whether crime rises or falls, the hysteria about us going to hell in a hand cart seldom abates.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

In self defense yes

• Advertisement

Most definitely. If they physically assault an officer in the states it would be pop pop pop.only a statistic.one less good for nothing scummer around

How's that working out for cops in the States?
    In this case it would have been justified and by that I mean shoot till they are down and stay down.

The rule of law either exists or it doesn't.

I'm no great fan of the Guards, the force is shocking in its incompetence and corruption but there is either law or not.

So if a Gardai is being physically assaulted the appropriate reaction is to shoot to kill? And we'd trust the current Garda force to make that call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

From your article:

Whether crime rises or falls, the hysteria about us going to hell in a hand cart seldom abates.

The CSO thinks that crime is under reported by the gardai.

Anyway a black policeman was attacked by whites. Where’s the ideology of white privilege when you need it.

If this cop was armed and shot back I don’t think anybody would be too upset.

Do gooders become less do goody when they are the victims of random scumbags.

Your mindset would be altered quick fast if/when you get beaten to within an inch of your life. Happens ALL THE TIME in Dublin.

If you don't believe that please share with us the impressive structural arrangements of the bubble you appear to inhabit.

So if a Gardai is being physically assaulted the appropriate reaction is to shoot to kill? And we'd trust the current Garda force to make that call?

So who would get to make the call ,

Hang in there lads hold off with the beating till I ring my super,then ombudsman,the union rep and likely independent legal counsel to see if I can defend myself from assault .

How's that working out for cops in the States?

As I said earlier I have little faith in the force but in this circumstance it would have been appropriate.

For me when it is non political it changes it. Others will obviously disagree on that.

The ****s that did this care for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair his name is gatling so you'd imagine a preference for is firearms. when your name is gatling, everything is a target ;)

Your mindset would be altered quick fast if/when you get beaten to within an inch of your life. Happens ALL THE TIME in Dublin.

If you don't believe that please share with us the impressive structural arrangements of the bubble you appear to inhabit.

The Progressive tend to live on the nice side of the tracks.

It is one of the key reasons the left today is in freefall across much if Europe. It is becoming a niche middle class movement, has become.

A different topic though.

While in the city on Dame Street today I witnessed a fist fight between 3 guys in the open, broad daylight. Not a garda to be seen.

(bit embarrassed because tourists were looking at this spectacle as well)

If we refuse to have what I would regard as a proper police force up to normal western standards - and the fact we subsidise scumbags to the extent we do - what do we expect?

There is no real punishment.

BTW I regard this story as an attempted murder.

We have a police force that's up to western standards.
    gardai aren't like some sort of magic genies, there is such a thing a response time. You can't expect to have them show up magically. Did you call them and wait to see how long they take to turn up?

Also most gardai don't want firearms. If they have them they'll need them. When cops don't have guns most criminals don't need them either. that's why we have so few firearms offences.

So you think they're incompetent and corrupt and your solution is to give them guns.

Grayson wrote: »
    We have a police force that's up to western standards.

#deluded

Did you giggle while writing that??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

I'd do it on a jobbridge and wouldn't miss a wink. The only possible use for such animals would be organ harvesting, some parts could be used to improve the quality of life for real people, the rest I would incinerate not use as swine food as it would contaminate the food chain and make difficult to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭LeBash

It would be nice for an articulate person to write a nice letter to show the whole nations concern about the crime and lack of punishment, post it somewhere and a campaign to get everyone to send it to local TDs and the minister for justice.

I live in the north inner city and while I've never been in any trouble I have seen plenty of assault, intimidation, stealing and more. I've had my home burgled twice and my car damaged 3 times. I don't even have the worst stories from the area.

I do have a pain in the bollox getting up, going to work and coming home to pissed or drugged up slackers hanging around area who get nicer holidays than me every year.

To be fair his name is gatling so you'd imagine a preference for is firearms. when your name is gatling, everything is a target ;)

Lol quick off the mark .

When cops don't have guns most criminals don't need them either. that's why we have so few firearms offences.

neither of these statements are true ,

So you think they're incompetent and corrupt and your solution is to give them guns.

I did not say they should all have guns, whether they are either good or bad. Why you felt the need to think that is all an issue for you.

Armed police forces should be avoided. In this case though it would have been appropriate to have killed the attackers. The next person may not be so lucky with these attackers.

The attackers didn't care that the force needs systemic reform or that 30 years ago they would be recruits.

• Advertisement

Ah jasus was that a serious post? 'Going to hell in a hand cart seldom abates' Go hang out with Jacob Rees-Mogg and leave the adults to talk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

means nothing without proper sentences, the same guards arresting the same vermin over and over again if just 10%of these scum were doin a proper sentence the resources the guards have would have a greater impact not to mention moral for front line officers. demoralised dispirited disillusioned al these words I have heard members of the police force use on radio in recent times .

I live in Dublin CC, and my posts in this thread indicate nothing about my "mindset" other than I find the kneejerk bloodlust fantasising about eradicating scumbags that clogs up threads like this silly in the extreme.
    Gatling wrote: »
    So who would get to make the call ,

Hang in there lads hold off with the beating till I ring my super,then ombudsman,the union rep and likely independent legal counsel to see if I can defend myself from assault .

I wouldn't give them the opportunity because I wouldn't allow them to carry firearms.
    Ah jasus was that a serious post? 'Going to hell in a hand cart seldom abates' Go hang out with Jacob Rees-Mogg and leave the adults to talk.

:pac:

My posts are serious, yeah.

All of them? You sure :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I live in Dublin CC, and my posts in this thread indicate nothing about my "mindset" other than I find the kneejerk bloodlust fantasising about eradicating scumbags that clogs up threads like this silly in the extreme.

I wouldn't give them the opportunity because I wouldn't allow them to carry firearms.

you seem very happy for someone else to confront criminals on your behalf but would deny them the means to defend themselves.

Why should people who refuse to abide by the laws of the state be protected by them ?

ps i dont expect proper answer from you so relax

Another example of people in Irish society who have no fear or respect for the law of the land.

I'm not trying to be funny or smart here OP, but that is the law of the land. Why on earth should the perpetrator have what you call "fear or respect" for the law when the law says you can walk away from this without any consequences?

Don't get me wrong here, I fully understand and appreciate the point you are making and I fully agree with you, but based on your question you have to get back to the fact that absolutely nothing has ever happened in the criminal's life to suggest that there might be any punishment for these actions.

TBH I don't even know that we can blame the guy for not even knowing that he did anything wrong. Why would he? Everyone else does it, everyone else gets away with it, why would a 15 year old see a problem with that? Especially after he gets away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

where are you sum bitches.........................................................................................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Er9Sb983s

As said by others, the judicial is the party to blame here. The judges and their stomach churning 'lol' approach to serious crime. Gardai are arresting the same people over, and over, and over, and over.. If you were a Garda, would you be bothered fighting and arguing with some scummer when you know that he's not going to prison no matter how many times you arrest him, or what you arrest him for?

I really don't get how people haven't taken to the streets over this. Everyone in the country knows there's no such thing as punishment for crime in this country. It's a minor inconvenience if you're caught.

I wouldn't like to arm the Gardai, as it'd make everyone's life more dangerous, but a stern judicial could sort these issues out fairly swiftly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Probably that group of little scruffs that hang around outside the shops on church Road.

Had a run in with them not so long ago and if I'm honest I battered 2 of them, self defence in fairness.

Gardai had no interest when they turned up.

Could also get the vibe the locals were afraid of them. .

It's well known who they are, there's only 1 particularly bad group down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Most definitely. If they physically assault an officer in the states it would be pop pop pop.only a statistic.one less good for nothing scummer around

Yes physically assaulting a officer in the US would more than likely result in the suspects being shot you miss the reason why, In the United States police officers are routinely armed and thus carry a firearm which in a scenario like this could be used against them or innocent bystanders the article states the Gardas baton was stolen.Had this indeed been a US police officer there would have been a reasonable cause for deadly force as it may have been a firearm not a baton taken. ie If Gardai carry a firearm there is more reason to use it
    The cure for scrotes like these isnt body cameras its a good old fashioned beating

Advertisement