Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Worm

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Before you read any of them, try the John Swartzwelder books. I think the first one is called the time machine did it. JS is responsible for the best Simpsons episodes you can think of as writer and consultant. Very private man. Some doubt he even exists and is just a name for a collaboration of multiple writers.

6X5vRrzvLLlJ4wehfeymqhWAZgz_U7SjPP36uZ9Eup0.png?w=300&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

IMO you get tired of Discworld. Funny, but a sense of horse flogging. I did anyway!

One of the funniest Irish book ive read was McCarthys bar. Albeit author was English . AFAIR

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Anything by P. G. Wodehouse - pure comic brilliance.

The Flashman Novels by George MacDonald Fraser - a truly amazing series of novels. The fake memoirs of an aristocratic Victorian gentleman, about his life and times during the pivotal moments in the history of the British Empire, where he was usually in the thick of the action, trying his best not to die and to have as much sex as possible.

THESE NOVELS ARE EXTRAORDINARILY GOOD.

I'm no fan of the British Empire, but I find it impossible not to love these novels. The central character is a complete bastard: cowardly, racist, misogynistic, self-centred. But he's also completely honest and extremely lucky. The level of historical research that went into the writing of these was first class, you'll actually learn something about the real life history contained in the adventutes. And George McDonald Fraser is, in my opinion, the most underrated prose writer of the last fifty years. He was a brilliant writer: his storytelling and pacing, his research, his gift for descriptive language, characterisation and dialouge - he was an absolute genius. And he manages to make it all so funny and decidedly un-PC. Unmissable stuff!

+1 on Flashman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis is very funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The Darwin Awards series can be quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

GBX wrote: »
    The bible ?

I just knew when i posted someone was going to say this.:D

One moderately funny joke spread out over 400 pages. The most overrated book ever printed. It’s like you have to say it’s hilarious.

The Flashman books are very funny. Loads of riding, cheating on cards, racism, drunkenness, cowardly behaviour, and being a rich cad in 1800’s London. Extremely politically incorrect, so not for sensitive types.

think i'll try this one first. :eek:

decky1 wrote: »
    think i'll try this one first. :eek:

just had a look for this book --sure there's a load of them:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Puckoon by Spike Milligan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

decky1 wrote: »
    just had a look for this book --sure there's a load of them:cool:
    Yeah, he started writing them in the 60s and only stopped because he died in 2008. I would read them in the order they were released if I were you rather than chronologically.

The conceit behind the books is that they are meant to be the memoirs of Harry Flashman that have been unearthed in an attic or something like that by the author. Flashman is the bully in Tom Brown's Schooldays and Thomas Hughes who wrote that pops up the odd time in the Flashman books.

Relikk wrote: »
    Puckoon by Spike Milligan.

Fantastic book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

Any of Bill brysons travel books particularly a walk in the woods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The Flashman books are very funny. Loads of riding, cheating on cards, racism, drunkenness, cowardly behaviour, and being a rich cad in 1800’s London. Extremely politically incorrect, so not for sensitive types.

They are great (and surprisingly historically accurate outside of the protagonists escapades) but there’s more than one way to read Flashman. It’s only pro empire at a superficial level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

War is terrible and I’ll pretend I’m mad. I don’t like most of those ‘great American novels’ written in the 60’s and early 70’s though.

You’re right. None of them have aged well.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Satanic Verses, though a few didn't see the funny side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Who goes here by Bob Shaw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman.

Also The Madman by padraiggg.

mazwell wrote: »
    Any of Bill brysons travel books particularly a walk in the woods

great books , think i have them all , his last was a big disappointment i thought.:(

Advertisement