Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Worm

Options
  • 03-10-2018 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend some books that are genuinely funny. Thanks.:D:):cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

alan partridge books - i partridge and nomad

both hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

PG Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster books.
    Most of Terry Pratchett.
    I will second I, Partridge and Nomad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Woody Allen's books Without Feathers & Getting Even. A collection of mostly very short stories with guaranteed laughs on every page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Tom Sharpe

Try "Wilt" to whet your appetite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

All seven war books from “Adolf Hitler - My part in his Downfall” through to “Peace Work”. Utterly brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Catch 22 is the only book that genuinely had me laughing out loud. Hilarious and a great read too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anything by Douglas Adams

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There's a new book out recently about how people thought a magician died, but it was all a trick and he reappeared a few days later. Hilarious, a bit bulky though. Can't remember the name of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

James Herriot's vet books. I've never laughed so much while reading.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Anything by Terry Pratchett, and the Hitchhiker's series by Douglas Adams.
    Those are the only books that ever made me laugh out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The bible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

The World According to Garp is fantastically funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭jiltloop

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is a great book and a funny read.

I Partridge is definitely the funniest book I've ever read.

I would also second Catch 22 and there is also another very funny book which is has similar quirkiness that I found very funny, The Third Policeman by our own Flann O'Brien, fantastically strange!

Another funny series of books once you get past the first few pages and get a sense of the main character is The Enderby Series by Anthony Burgess, 3 brilliant books with a very funny main character!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

jiltloop wrote: »
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is a great book and a funny read.

I Partridge is definitely the funniest book I've ever read.

I would also second Catch 22 and there is also another very funny book which is has similar quirkiness that I found very funny, The Third Policeman by our own Flann O'Brien, fantastically strange!

Another funny series of books once you get past the first few pages and get a sense of the main character is The Enderby Series by Anthony Burgess, 3 brilliant books with a very funny main character!

A Confederacy of dunces is my favourite book of all time. There's a statue of the main character in his home town cos he's such a legend. So funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

The Superchick trilogy by Stephen Martin is very funny

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006VWR63A/

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

And the Dublin Trilogy by Caimh McDonnell

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LB4O01I/

Not as funny, but a good mixture of crime, suspense and humour

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ronald Dahl, most are for kids, but still some funny moments. Or any of the Red Drawf books by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Discworld novels.

Absolutely loved Terry Pratchett's narrative and dry humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Another vote for Discworld!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Dick Swiveller

Many Charles Dickens books. And it's real humour; not lots of shouty swear words.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

benjamin d wrote: »
    Catch 22 is the only book that genuinely had me laughing out loud. Hilarious and a great read too.

One moderately funny joke spread out over 400 pages. The most overrated book ever printed. It’s like you have to say it’s hilarious.

The Flashman books are very funny. Loads of riding, cheating on cards, racism, drunkenness, cowardly behaviour, and being a rich cad in 1800’s London. Extremely politically incorrect, so not for sensitive types.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Rodney Dangerfield's biography
    It's Not Easy Bein' Me: A Lifetime of No Respect but Plenty of Sex and Drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭jiltloop

One moderately funny joke spread out over 400 pages. The most overrated book ever printed. It’s like you have to say it’s hilarious.

The Flashman books are very funny. Loads of riding, cheating on cards, racism, drunkenness, cowardly behaviour, and being a rich cad in 1800’s London. Extremely politically incorrect, so not for sensitive types.

Many people disagree with you there, in fact you're the first dissenting voice I've come across, most people I know who've read it found it hilarious. It's all subjective of course, it's all just a matter of opinion but I'm not sure how you think it's just one joke spread out. What may I ask is the joke you're referring to in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The first five Ross O'Carrol Kelly books are great (the rest are readable). Great satire for Ireland in the early 2000's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Many people disagree with you there, in fact you're the first dissenting voice I've come across, most people I know who've read it found it hilarious. It's all subjective of course, it's all just a matter of opinion but I'm not sure how you think it's just one joke spread out. What may I ask is the joke you're referring to in it?

War is terrible and I’ll pretend I’m mad. I don’t like most of those ‘great American novels’ written in the 60’s and early 70’s though.

While Pratchett was indeed very funny his Wizards and Witches world where most of his books were set is not really for everyone.

He co-wrote some books in a fantasy vein (called good omens) and a science vein similar to Bill Brysons "Short history of nearly everything" (called the science of discworld) which might be more up the street of anyone who wants humor but not magic and wizards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I started rereading it for five minutes the other week because I saw a copy lying around somewhere and the bit about censoring the letters while in hospital in the first chapter had me almost in tears laughing again. That's within the first couple of pages. The on-going thread about what constitutes Catch 22 may be what he's referring to, but even that is brilliantly done.

Advertisement