Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin third costliest EU capital for tourists after Monaco and Reykjavik

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Berserker wrote: »
    There are plenty of touristy things to do in terms of history & culture but the cost is the problem. A tour of the leprechaun museum will set you back €20 per person, which is ridiculous. That's a good example of the cost of things. Some of the museums are free.

Anyone that comes to Dublin and pays €20 to see the leprechaun museum deserves to be shafted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Depends what you are spending your money on. If you spent the weekend drinking, it'd cost you a fortune. If you went sightseeing and dining then it'd definitely be cheaper than Dublin. Dublin is disgracefully expensive for tourists. My in-laws who live in Vancouver couldn't get over how expensive the attractions were in Dublin.

Yep and Copenhagen was cheaper and better value from a tourist's perspective, according to my in-laws.

Nope, I go to Basel & Zurich for work. For €15 I'll get a really good meal (main & non-alcoholic drink) on a street cafe. Last Friday I paid that for a p1ss poor attempt at a philly cheese steak & Coke near the IFSC.

What? Absolutely no chance of that. I'm talking about buying a coffee and a sandwich - good luck getting that for under the equivalent of ten euro in Switzerland, even in a petrol station deli!

What? Absolutely no chance of that. I'm talking about buying a coffee and a sandwich - good luck getting that for under the equivalent of ten euro in Switzerland, even in a petrol station deli!

A crap prepackaged sandwich cost me 14 euro at Geneva airport. Unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

murpho999 wrote: »
    You're just being negative for the sake of being negative.

Dublin is a fantastic tourist destination and ideal for long weekend city break. Spoken to pleny of tourists who had a good time here.

Have foreign family who have been here and love it.

Go into the city all year round and it's full of tourists enjoying themselves and the city.
    I live in the city centre, I know exactly what it's like thanks

Where you from yourself, Monaco?
    Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Dublin

Sounds like you need a break from it.

Sounds like you need a break from it.

critics out, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

murpho999 wrote: »
    You're just being negative for the sake of being negative.

Dublin is a fantastic tourist destination and ideal for long weekend city break. Spoken to pleny of tourists who had a good time here.

Have foreign family who have been here and love it.

Go into the city all year round and it's full of tourists enjoying themselves and the city.

Dublin is a shìthole which is filthy, overpriced, with ugly buildings and fuçking TONS of violent junkies.

Source: work there daily and had to step over a lady píssing on a door stop. Talbot street had a junkie giving a handjob recently. Joyous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

humberklog wrote: »
    Oh come off it FFS, using the Leprechaun Museum as a good example for the costs of things in the city?

For tourists? I think it is. It's a tourist attraction.
    Pretty much any lunch in Dublin is < 15.

Ok, I'm going to Milano for lunch today. Most of their mains cost more than €15. If I want to pay less than €15, I'd have to go for something like a Margherita pizza. The cost of a drink and tip would probably bring the meal up to €15, if not more.
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Anyone that comes to Dublin and pays €20 to see the leprechaun museum deserves to be shafted

It's a tourist attraction and they are tourists. Why do they deserve to be shafted?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

For tourists? I think it is. It's a tourist attraction.

Ok, I'm going to Milano for lunch today. Most of their mains cost more than €15. If I want to pay less than €15, I'd have to go for something like a Margherita pizza. The cost of a drink and tip would probably bring the meal up to €15, if not more.

It's a tourist attraction and they are tourists. Why do they deserve to be shafted?

Milano is a franchise and costs the same everywhere in Ireland regardless of location.

Far more affordable lunches to be had..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

mariaalice wrote: »
    These are the richest countries in the world per capita.
    Qatar ($124,930) The small Middle Eastern country often ranks as one of the richest countries in the world per capita.
    Luxembourg ($109,190) ...
    Singapore ($90,530) ...
    Brunei ($76,740) ...
    Ireland ($72,630) ...
    Norway ($70,590) ...
    Kuwait ($69,670) ...
    United Arab Emirates ($68,250) ..

http://fortune.com/2017/11/17/richest-country-in-the-world/

Bollocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

lawred2 wrote: »
    Milano is a franchise and costs the same everywhere in Ireland regardless of location.

Far more affordable lunches to be had..

In some fast food outlet or in some pub where you'll pay just as much, in my opinion, for some microwaved chips and packet lasagne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I find it hard to believe that Dublin is more expensive to visit than London.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Depends on how they applied their metrics really. An actual mid-range restaurant would be eye-wateringly expensive in Reykjavik*, in Dublin, not so much.

*source: had my eyes water looking at menus in restaurants in a few different places in Reykjavik. Toddled back to the cruise ship and ate there for free.

We managed to eat well in Reykjavik for only marginally more expensive prices than Dublin but it took research and a bit of determination. We debated splashing out one evening on a more expensive restaurant but decided that we couldn’t justify the insane prices. It’s just food.
    Nope, I go to Basel & Zurich for work. For €15 I'll get a really good meal (main & non-alcoholic drink) on a street cafe. Last Friday I paid that for a p1ss poor attempt at a philly cheese steak & Coke near the IFSC.

Plenty of good places in Dublin where you can get a main for €15. A drink might sometimes fit into that budget too. You ate somewhere sh1t in Dublin, that’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In some fast food outlet or in some pub where you'll pay just as much, in my opinion, for some microwaved chips and packet lasagne?

This is why I said listing any enterprises to you would be a fruitless enterprise

Can't believe Dublin is more expensive than Oslo, it costs about €300 to get a hair cut there - for a woman.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So go somewhere else. That is not an indicator that Dublin is somehow more expensive for food then bloody Zurich.

Here is an equivalent Swiss place -> https://www.bindella.ch/api/rm/U98JWSKJTZ4CSW8. It's significantly more expensive.

This is why I said listing any enterprises to you would be a fruitless enterprise

Yup, exactly, lawred2. :D Totally pointless endeavour. I was going to name some places but decided that it was a waste of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

food in ireland is terrible, even though i live in a touristy are most cafes and restaurants are buying in preprepared food and heating it up, the few that arent are noticeably different in the quality of what they serve.
    transport is pretty terrible bus eireann leaves people at the airport all the time, although it is reasonable value
    it costs me 10 euro to get a taxi 2miles home after midnight

i love where i live the people, the scenery but would i choose to come here on holiday probably not
    but then i talk to spanish people in august who are here in august and say its amazing beccuase its been 40 degrees for 2 months where they live !

but i hate dublin avoid it as much as i can

oh and when you look at the criteria of the survey its probably skewed a bit beer, coffee, hotel, taxi fare, mid range restaurant.

and our powers that be think that minimum alcohol pricing will fix anything apart form the pubs not been quite so expensive compared to supermarkets. (havening been on holiday drinking 50 to 80c per half litre)

food in ireland is terrible, even though i live in a touristy are most cafes and restaurants are buying in preprepared food and heating it up, the few that arent are noticeably different in the quality of what they serve.
    transport is pretty terrible bus eireann leaves people at the airport all the time, although it is reasonable value
    it costs me 10 euro to get a taxi 2miles home after midnight

i love where i live the people, the scenery but would i choose to come here on holiday probably not
    but then i talk to spanish people in august who are here in august and say its amazing beccuase its been 40 degrees for 2 months where they live !

but i hate dublin avoid it as much as i can

oh and when you look at the criteria of the survey its probably skewed a bit beer, coffee, hotel, taxi fare, mid range restaurant.

and our powers that be think that minimum alcohol pricing will fix anything apart form the pubs not been quite so expensive compared to supermarkets. (havening been on holiday drinking 50 to 80c per half litre)

I kinda feel sorry for people who can’t find good places to eat in Ireland. There’s less choice outside cities and big towns obviously but I can’t think of one part of Ireland I’ve visited where there was nowhere nice to eat.

And do people honestly think that buying in preprepared stuff doesn’t happen in other countries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Recent prices in Paris, Easter 2018

Good hotel in city centre = 210 pn room only

Unlimited transport for Mon-Sun on all public transport in the whole city, not just city centre = 22.80 this is great value

3-course meal in simple city centre restaurant = possible to pay as little as 16 if you know where to go, steak supplement makes 21, I accept that most places are dearer than that.

50cl beer for 3.50 in one pub happy hour until 10pm

Breakfast - coffee [not espresso], croissant, slice of cake, standing at bar = 5.20

Take-away roll from cafe/bakery = 5.00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Geuze wrote: »
    Recent prices in Paris, Easter 2018

Good hotel in city centre = 210 pn room only

Unlimited transport for Mon-Sun on all public transport in the whole city, not just city centre = 22.80 this is great value

3-course meal in simple city centre restaurant = possible to pay as little as 16 if you know where to go, steak supplement makes 21, I accept that most places are dearer than that.

50cl beer for 3.50 in one pub happy hour until 10pm

Breakfast - coffee [not espresso], croissant, slice of cake, standing at bar = 5.20

Take-away roll from cafe/bakery = 5.00

But "in one pub during happy hour" and "if you know where to go" arent really that relevant when discussing the prices tourists will pay

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

naughtb4 wrote: »
    But "in one pub during happy hour" and "if you know where to go" arent really that relevant when discussing the prices tourists will pay

Yes.

Now, the happy hours are common, but more usually at 4.50 - 5.00 per 50cl.

I did a ten min walk around Les Halles area, and found one pub charging 3.50 for 50cl Cruzcampo until maybe 10pm/11pm. Every seat was taken.

There were many pubs nearby charging 4.00 / 4.50.

So with a bit of work, there's no need to pay more than 5.00 until 11pm.

After that though, it's more difficult, yes.

Metrics used

europe-capitals-big.png

again, Bollocks, no way Oslo is cheaper than Dublin ..

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Monaco and Reykjavik are not in the EU

How is that possible? It’s impossible to have food, clothing, water and money and hospitals outside the EU. The Irish Times said so.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

There's not much difference in price if eating in Milano or Pizza Express in Britain (same company). If you want to eat in any overpriced international chain (Nandos. Planet Hollywood, The Ivy etc.) work away but that's hardly a decent metric for value for money in certain cities.

Plenty of far better pizzas giving far better value and as a tourist you'd be giving money into independent traders as opposed to throwing money down the gullets of international franchises.

Checkpoint Pizza in George's Arcade for e.g. - 9 quid for lovely pizza, side of fries and a can of pop.

Advertisement