Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin third costliest EU capital for tourists after Monaco and Reykjavik

Options
  • 02-10-2018 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭

Well kids, more fantastic news! Now be sure to keep the extra E1.50 a week the "coalition" of snakes will toss back at us peasants in budget 19 and spend it wisely. (€1.50 a week usc € equivalent was given back to workers on €30,000 a year last year) Dont dare question the economy stupid and ask why living standards for many are dropping, when the economy is "booming" If your feeling in any way negative and question things, maybe "go and commit suicide" as Bertie Ahern once so eloquently put it. All is good, dont doubt the governments desire to serve you and look after your best interests...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/travel-site-ranks-europes-capitals-according-to-expense-and-dublin-comes-near-the-top-872978.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Having been to Rome, Copenhagen, Paris, and Vienna, I can categorically assure you that Dublin is not more expensive than them. I also find it incredibly difficult to fathom that it could be more expensive than the Nordic capitals too.
    It seems like a load of nonsense.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    Well kids, more fantastic news! Now be sure to keep the extra E1.50 a week the "coalition" of snakes will toss back at us peasants in budget 19 and spend it wisely. (€1.50 a week usc € equivalent was given back to workers on €30,000 a year last year) Dont dare question the economy stupid and ask why living standards for many are dropping, when the economy is "booming" If your feeling in any way negative and question things, maybe "go and commit suicide" as Bertie Ahern once so eloquently put it. All is good, dont doubt the governments desire to serve you and look after your best interests...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/travel-site-ranks-europes-capitals-according-to-expense-and-dublin-comes-near-the-top-872978.html

Living standards in Ireland have pretty much never been higher. As economies grow, their capital cities become more expensive. It's a way of life and has always been. This is typical "woe is on us" nonsense as is per the norm on boards, moaning about one of the best countries to live in in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Expect a sharp risings in the cost of items with excise on fuel due to increase at end of month with the budget. Its amazing how the energy regulator keeps on giving the go ahead for price increases on energy. Yet it's nearly the most expensive in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How is your geography OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

high wages, high cost of housing, high cost of everything else, all means everything is expensive hence if you go to a country and everything is cheap look at the annual average wages it'll pretty much tell you why, especially eating out and hotels as people are paid at the bottom end.

ive been in poland the last two years on holiday and eating and going out is crazy cheap and food is prepared generally in the premises makes foodie ireland look very poor in comparison (main cities, warsaw and samll towns)

unfortunately dont think theres much going back and the next hike in public sector wages isnt going to allow for tax cuts of any form any time soon

funnily enough fuel was about the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

These are the richest countries in the world per capita.
    Qatar ($124,930) The small Middle Eastern country often ranks as one of the richest countries in the world per capita.
    Luxembourg ($109,190) ...
    Singapore ($90,530) ...
    Brunei ($76,740) ...
    Ireland ($72,630) ...
    Norway ($70,590) ...
    Kuwait ($69,670) ...
    United Arab Emirates ($68,250) ..

http://fortune.com/2017/11/17/richest-country-in-the-world/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

mariaalice wrote: »
    These are the richest countries in the world per capita.
    Qatar ($124,930) The small Middle Eastern country often ranks as one of the richest countries in the world per capita.
    Luxembourg ($109,190) ...
    Singapore ($90,530) ...
    Brunei ($76,740) ...
    Ireland ($72,630) ...
    Norway ($70,590) ...
    Kuwait ($69,670) ...
    United Arab Emirates ($68,250) ..

http://fortune.com/2017/11/17/richest-country-in-the-world/

In fairness, GDP per capita is an incredibly misleading stat that shouldn't really be used to measure the average salary in a country, especially somewhere like Ireland where it's massively distorted by the big US companies moving their products through here. The average salary here is closer to €45,000 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I wish I could find it now but I read a news item yesterday quoting a minister stating how certain changes were only made in light of the recession but now that we’re in full recovery yada yada yada..

Why am I still paying so much tax then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Below average ranting from the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Metrics used

europe-capitals-big.png

It's a travel site for cheapskate backpackers

Cry me a river

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Cina wrote: »
    Having been to Rome, Copenhagen, Paris, and Vienna, I can categorically assure you that Dublin is not more expensive than them. I also find it incredibly difficult to fathom that it could be more expensive than the Nordic capitals too.
    It seems like a load of nonsense.

I was in Vienna in July and it's cheaper for accommodation, cheaper for grocery shopping and cheaper for public transport than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In central Paris 50cl of beer is often 8.00 or more, so 8.80 or more per pint.

BUT

they have happy hours.

If you know where to go, you can pay 3.50 / 4.00 / 4.50 for 50cl until maybe 10pm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Depends on how they applied their metrics really. An actual mid-range restaurant would be eye-wateringly expensive in Reykjavik*, in Dublin, not so much.

*source: had my eyes water looking at menus in restaurants in a few different places in Reykjavik. Toddled back to the cruise ship and ate there for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Map is a load of bollox.

I had to declare bankruptcy after a weekend in Oslo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I agree OP... Time to burn Dublin to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Map is a load of bollox.

Yup anything that puts Dublin ahead of Oslo in price, is flawed

A crazily expensive city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Putting a Swiss city as cheaper than Dublin is also flawed. Quite simply, one could not enjoy a holiday in the normal way without balking at the price of everything. Even in a basic cafe, for a coffee and sandwich it would cost an arm and a leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That map is a guide for backpackers and students.

For people on a shoestring budget.

Museums are largely free in Dublin as well unless it's the Storehouse or some stupid Paddywhackery nonsense like the Leprechaun museum.

And to be honest, if you go there with everything else Dublin has to offer, I'm glad to see you fleeced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Map is a load of bollox.

Depends what you are spending your money on. If you spent the weekend drinking, it'd cost you a fortune. If you went sightseeing and dining then it'd definitely be cheaper than Dublin. Dublin is disgracefully expensive for tourists. My in-laws who live in Vancouver couldn't get over how expensive the attractions were in Dublin.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    I was in Vienna in July and it's cheaper for accommodation, cheaper for grocery shopping and cheaper for public transport than Dublin.

Yep and Copenhagen was cheaper and better value from a tourist's perspective, according to my in-laws.
    Putting a Swiss city as cheaper than Dublin is also flawed. Quite simply, one could not enjoy a holiday in the normal way without balking at the price of everything. Even in a basic cafe, for a coffee and sandwich it would cost an arm and a leg.

Nope, I go to Basel & Zurich for work. For €15 I'll get a really good meal (main & non-alcoholic drink) on a street cafe. Last Friday I paid that for a p1ss poor attempt at a philly cheese steak & Coke near the IFSC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Went through the city centre last week on a bus to the airport, all I could see was bewildered auld tourists with a "what in the fook am I paying such outlandish prices such as my 300 euro a night hotel bedroom for this wollix". And they right. Dublin would want to wind it's neck in. Just because the likes of Google and Facebook got their european tax dodge HQ up the docks doesnt automatically make the town Paris or some $hit. Cop on.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Went through the city centre last week on a bus to the airport, all I could see was bewildered auld tourists with a "what in the fook am I paying such outlandish prices such as my 300 euro a night hotel bedroom for this wollix". And they right. Dublin would want to wind it's neck in. Just because the likes of Google and Facebook got their european tax dodge HQ up the docks doesnt automatically make the town Paris or some $hit. Cop on.

you saw all that from the window of your bus?

impressive

Berserker wrote: »
    Depends what you are spending your money on. If you spent the weekend drinking, it'd cost you a fortune. If you went sightseeing and dining then it'd definitely be cheaper than Dublin. Dublin is disgracefully expensive for tourists. My in-laws who live in Vancouver couldn't get over how expensive the attractions were in Dublin.

Yep and Copenhagen was cheaper and better value from a tourist's perspective, according to my in-laws.

Nope, I go to Basel & Zurich for work. For €15 I'll get a really good meal (main & non-alcoholic drink) on a street cafe. Last Friday I paid that for a p1ss poor attempt at a philly cheese steak & Coke near the IFSC.

I could easily find quite a few places in Dublin City Centre where I could eat a decent main for €15.

Just because you didn't manage to do so doesn't mean a whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Monaco and Reykjavik are not in the EU

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I brought someone to Ireland for the first time to weeks ago. She was interested in going to visit Dublin and asked what was worth seeing. I genuinely couldn't think of one thing, and I lived there for 8 years.

I don't think the article claimed that they were. That might just have been the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

lawred2 wrote: »
    you saw all that from the window of your bus?

impressive

Yeah. Plenty of it to go around too. Look out for it yourself. You cant miss it. Wasn't exactly impressive though, more depressing, because that's how the tourists looked. And who can blame em?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

lawred2 wrote: »
    I could easily find quite a few places in Dublin City Centre where I could eat a decent main for €15.

Just because you didn't manage to do so doesn't mean a whole lot

Worked in the city centre for years and I was constantly underwhelmed. Give me a few examples.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

giphy.webp

• Advertisement

I brought someone to Ireland for the first time to weeks ago. She was interested in going to visit Dublin and asked what was worth seeing. I genuinely couldn't think of one thing, and I lived there for 8 years.

There are plenty of touristy things to do in terms of history & culture but the cost is the problem. A tour of the leprechaun museum will set you back €20 per person, which is ridiculous. That's a good example of the cost of things. Some of the museums are free.

Advertisement