Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin third costliest EU capital for tourists after Monaco and Reykjavik

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Berserker wrote: »
    There are plenty of touristy things to do in terms of history & culture but the cost is the problem. A tour of the leprechaun museum will set you back €20 per person, which is ridiculous. That's a good example of the cost of things. Some of the museums are free.

Oh come off it FFS, using the Leprechaun Museum as a good example for the costs of things in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah this is the thing, I used to love going to Dublin, go to gigs, shows, but in the last couple of years the prices of everything, especially hotel rooms is just absolutely ridiculous. Dublin is just a big town. That's it. 300 quid a night hotel rooms in a Irish summer for a big town? Cop on because nobody is going to be buying it real soon. And where that going to leave the situation? F**ked, that's where. I've stopped going, stopped going to things I actually want to see. You think tourists who are just curious to see the town are going to think different?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Dublin Airport; €7 for a pathetic roll with feck all filling at the "Upper Crust" in arrivals.

Fleecing tourists from the get-go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I brought someone to Ireland for the first time to weeks ago. She was interested in going to visit Dublin and asked what was worth seeing. I genuinely couldn't think of one thing, and I lived there for 8 years.

To weeks ago what?

Of course there’s lots to see in Dublin. Hence the high prices. We do need more hotels though.

buried wrote: »
    Yeah this is the thing, I used to love going to Dublin, go to gigs, shows, but in the last couple of years the prices of everything, especially hotel rooms is just absolutely ridiculous. Dublin is just a big town. That's it. 300 quid a night hotel rooms in a Irish summer for a big town? Cop on because nobody is going to be buying it real soon. And where that going to leave the situation? F**ked, that's where. I've stopped going, stopped going to things I actually want to see. You think tourists who are just curious to see the town are going to think different?

And yet they are paying. If they weren’t they wouldn’t be and the prices would be lower.

Not defending the prices though - we need about ten new hotels.

• Advertisement

Worked in the city centre for years and I was constantly underwhelmed. Give me a few examples.

Pretty much any lunch in Dublin is < 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Worked in the city centre for years and I was constantly underwhelmed. Give me a few examples.

What a pointless exercise that would be..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Dublin Airport; €7 for a pathetic roll with feck all filling at the "Upper Crust" in arrivals.

Fleecing tourists from the get-go.

Why are you comparing prices based on an airport? Every airport in the world rips people off.

Dublin is expensive for somethings but cheaper than others,.

Public transport is definitely cheaper here than most North European countries.
    Clothing is also keenly priced.

Food and drink could be argued but was in Holland recently, which was always cheaper than here and it's gone way expensive. A pint of beer there is more expensive than here.

Nordic countries are also way more expensive than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Pretty much any lunch in Dublin is < 15.
    Express lunch in Saba is 13:95 for two courses. Lovely food, decent portions and great service.

And yet they are paying. If they weren’t they wouldn’t be and the prices would be lower.

Not defending the prices though - we need about ten new hotels.

They won't be paying for much longer Franz. I bought a ticket to a gig I really wanted to see in Dublin last July, tried book one room for two nights cheapest I could get was 320 for both nights. In Dublin. Where I've being going all my life and the town is still the same way it was when I could get a room for 80 quid. A few new cobblestones on O'Connell street isn't going to cut the reason for the ridiculous price hike. These tourists getting gouged are just going to tell their friends and then you'll see nobody coming at all.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

lawred2 wrote: »
    Metrics used

europe-capitals-big.png

Moscow should be far higher up expensive list.

Depends what you are spending your money on. If you spent the weekend drinking, it'd cost you a fortune. If you went sightseeing and dining then it'd definitely be cheaper than Dublin. Dublin is disgracefully expensive for tourists. My in-laws who live in Vancouver couldn't get over how expensive the attractions were in Dublin.

Most museums and art galleries are free.

Vancouver is not exactly cheap either.

Yep and Copenhagen was cheaper and better value from a tourist's perspective, according to my in-laws.

Any real evidence rather than in law annecdotes?

Nope, I go to Basel & Zurich for work. For €15 I'll get a really good meal (main & non-alcoholic drink) on a street cafe. Last Friday I paid that for a p1ss poor attempt at a philly cheese steak & Coke near the IFSC.[/QUOTE]

You can plenty of good meals for around €15 in Dublin, just go looking around.

IFSC is not exactly a good comparison to whatever a "street cafe" is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

food here I find quite reasonable. Transport is expensive and crap. Taxis expensive. Drink expensive. Accommodation a joke. Art galleries and museums free in generally...

Monaco and Reykjavik are not in the EU

right, so Dublin according to the article, is then the most expensive eu capital.

It's obviously the hotel prices that are affecting it most.

But mid range restaurant food probably also. Very expensive to eat anything fancier than a Bunsen burger in Dublin in the evening and the quality is lacking. Very poor price value ratio.

Also wish we had Ubers here. Taxis too expensive.

They won't be paying for much longer Franz. I bought a ticket to a gig I really wanted to see in Dublin last July, tried book one room for two nights cheapest I could get was 320 for both nights. In Dublin. Where I've being going all my life and the town is still the same way it was when I could get a room for 80 quid. A few new cobblestones on O'Connell street isn't going to cut the reason for the ridiculous price hike. These tourists getting gouged are just going to tell their friends and then you'll see nobody coming at all.

at least with the new spoons on abbey street and not long after camden street, there will be two centrally located boozers that will offer drink at reasonable prices. I was in the dun laoire one the other day and they were selling a glass of wine for E1.95!

An anecdote is not a statistic. The prices are high because demand is high and supply is low. Prices will fall though but because of supply.

glasso wrote: »
    It's obviously the hotel prices that are affecting it most.

But mid range restaurant food probably also. Very expensive to eat anything fancier than a Bunsen burger in Dublin in the evening and the quality is lacking. Very poor price value ratio.

Also wish we had Ubers here. Taxis too expensive.

I actually never minded the taxi prices. I'd tip those guys over the odds because they are actual people trying to survive day to day. The hotel prices really yank my f**king underpants up my arse. The same building I stayed in last year, a building that's been there for countless years is 200+% more expensive this year?? That's a scam. Nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Rhyme wrote: »
    Depends on how they applied their metrics really. An actual mid-range restaurant would be eye-wateringly expensive in Reykjavik*, in Dublin, not so much.

*source: had my eyes water looking at menus in restaurants in a few different places in Reykjavik. Toddled back to the cruise ship and ate there for free.

Yes it is insanely expensive. Travel blogger Gabriel Morris went around looking at prices of food in the city. Even fast food is ridiculous

An anecdote is not a statistic. The prices are high because demand is high and supply is low. Prices will fall though but because of supply.

Prices will fall because nobody will go. I'm proof of it. Probably better off, at least I can go to gigs and shows I've paid for before getting fleeced to sleep in a bed beside a river and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if dublin had good weather it would be a great weekend tourist destination; phoenix park, dollymount, howth, dun laoghaire harbour, dublin mountains, few drinks on the cobbles but the 8 months of grey drizzle and icy gusts just take it down a few notches on the holiday scale for me.

Prices will fall because nobody will go. I'm proof of it. Probably better off, at least I can go to gigs and shows I've paid for before getting fleeced to sleep in a bed beside a river and nothing else.

Your story is literally an anecdote. You know why the prices were high, right?

if dublin had good weather it would be a great weekend tourist destination; phoenix park, dollymount, howth, dun laoghaire harbour, dublin mountains, few drinks on the cobbles but the 8 months of grey drizzle and icy gusts just take it down a few notches on the holiday scale for me.

It’s grey but Dublin doesn’t get that much rain actually. Plenty of American cities are wetter.

It’s dull though. Today is a god example - not much rain but not much sun. Still that doesn’t stop most activities.

I actually never minded the taxi prices. I'd tip those guys over the odds because they are actual people trying to survive day to day. The hotel prices really yank my f**king underpants up my arse. The same building I stayed in last year, a building that's been there for countless years is 200+% more expensive this year?? That's a scam. Nothing else.

Or supply and demand

Seriously though, three times more expensive this year than last? That seems unlikely

Dublin is quite dry actually

Not even the top 25 in Europe

https://m.imgur.com/r/europe/NXyML1F

Your story is literally an anecdote. You know why the prices were high, right?

Greediness?

Or supply and demand

Seriously though, three times more expensive this year than last? That seems unlikely

Very likely. Especially when you are in the game of doing it year on year for the last 15 years. But it will be no more for me. Cheaper to see the artists and gigs I want to see for the night in other countries. That's no dig, it's the truth. Not a anecdote either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It’s grey but Dublin doesn’t get that much rain actually. Plenty of American cities are wetter.

It’s dull though. Today is a god example - not much rain but not much sun. Still that doesn’t stop most activities.
    Dublin is quite dry actually

Not even the top 25 in Europe

https://m.imgur.com/r/europe/NXyML1F
    fair enough, I suppose it's the overcast greyness combined with some fugly buildings and rubbish that produce that grimness, that and the strung out citizens which obviously exist else where but just seem to be on every street in the city centre.

fair enough, I suppose it's the overcast greyness combined with some fugly buildings and rubbish that produce that grimness, that and the strung out citizens which obviously exist else where but just seem to be on every street in the city centre.

Where you from yourself, Monaco?

• Advertisement

You're just being negative for the sake of being negative.

Dublin is a fantastic tourist destination and ideal for long weekend city break. Spoken to pleny of tourists who had a good time here.

Have foreign family who have been here and love it.

Go into the city all year round and it's full of tourists enjoying themselves and the city.

Advertisement