Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant Sheep Skinned Alive, hung on barbed wired

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Xcellor wrote: »
    Is it that different to what is done every day in slaughter houses? Throat cut, skinned and hung up?

We brand whoever did this sick but and find it disgusting but yet the stuff that happens every day behind closed doors is fine.

Cognitive dissonance.

Not really, killing a sheep for fun and mutilating its body and leaving iton display is not the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

There is no humane reason to kill something that doesn't need to die.

I beg to differ!!

medium-rare-steak.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Rave.ef wrote: »
    I'd eat that.... den again I just love meat:D

I love how people try and turn you off meat with a picture.
    Another thing I'm aware of is when people say they worked in a meat factory at some stage and they'll have a story about how it turned them off meat.
    The people I know who comes out with this were always very squeamish in the first place. One even just worked in a packaging place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

We kill baby cows, baby sheep and if you like eggs more than likely it supports this process. Grinding up live chicks.
    There is no humane way to kill something that doesn't want to die. There is no humane reason to kill something that doesn't need to die.
    The chicks above aren't even used in food. Their were born male and can't be profitably exploited.
    As sick as the OPs article is, it's sicker to me that society at large condones abusive/exploitative murder of other non-human animals.

Surprise surprise another vegan hijack

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

I love how people try and turn you off meat with a picture.
    Another thing I'm aware of is when people say they worked in a meat factory at some stage and they'll have a story about how it turned them off meat.
    The people I know who comes out with this were always very squeamish in the first place. One even just worked in a packaging place.

Same with people on about maggots in black pudding... I love black pudding I dont care it's made with blood why would I care if there's maggots in it.... hungry now think I'll have some blue stake for my dinner:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

And a pint of milk...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

wakka12 wrote: »
    Not really, killing a sheep for fun and mutilating its body and leaving iton display is not the same

We kill animals for entertainment too. Some get killed participating in the activity - a day at the races, some get killed as a requirement to the sport - bullfighting.

You seem to think mutilating and leaving on display is disrespectful. You are right. It's disgusting and unnneccessary but so is killing it, skinning it and chopping it up into pieces in a slaughter house even if we intend to eat it.

gozunda wrote: »
    Surprise surprise another vegan hijack

This from a poster who claims he is not a vegan .... and then does.

:rolleyes:

I never claimed I wasn't a vegan. If I made that impression apologies. Like most vegans I was raised eating the only diet I knew, meat and dairy. It was required to be healthy and I believed the humane argument.

I used to mock vegans. Stupid crazy tree huggers. My favourite food was a big juicy red steak and I loved chicken wings with red hot sauce. I ate milk chocolate and made a great egg fried rice.

I was the anti vegan. A meal wasn't a meal without meat and those vegetables around the plate were decorative mostly.

Surprisingly I changed. Anyone can do it, whether for the ethics, for health there are enough reasons to give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Grinding up live chicks.

Mod: Fixed your post. Please add warnings to anything that is potentially graphic in future

I never claimed I wasn't a vegan. If I made that impression apologies. Like most vegans I was raised eating the only diet I knew, meat and dairy. It was required to be healthy and I believed the humane argument. I used to mock vegans. Stupid crazy tree huggers. My favourite food was a big juicy red steak and I loved chicken wings with red hot sauce. I ate milk chocolate and made a great egg fried rice. I was the anti vegan. A meal wasn't a meal without meat and those vegetables around the plate were decorative mostly. Surprisingly I changed. Anyone can do it, whether for the ethics, for health there are enough reasons to give it a try.

Mea culpa. I'm meant Tilikum.

I am interested why many vegans claim to have been huge meat eaters - (juicy steak, wings, chocolate, egg fried rice etc) ever before turning vegan.

It reminds me of some extreme evangelical Christians who declare not only did they sin - but that they were the biggest sinners ever before seeing the light etc.

I don't think I have ever came across one that ate a regular mixed diet or maybe had meat once or twice a day at most.

My own diet is varied and in fairly normal mix of plants and animal products. I stay away from the processed stuff. My health and ethics are just fine...

The way that sheep was kilked was nothing like how animals are killed in controled conditions and in places which are supervised by DoA vetinary inspectors. Saying otherwise is dishonest or just plain misinformed tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We kill baby cows, baby sheep and if you like eggs more than likely it supports this process. Grinding up live chicks.

WARNING: Not for the squeamish https://i.imgur.com/MzMo4JA.gif

There is no humane way to kill something that doesn't want to die. There is no humane reason to kill something that doesn't need to die.

The chicks above aren't even used in food. Their were born male and can't be profitably exploited.

As sick as the OPs article is, it's sicker to me that society at large condones abusive/exploitative murder of other non-human animals.

Says the lads that yank baby carrots from their friends, skin them while alive, chop them up and finish them off in boiling water. Sometimes don't even kill them before eating them?

Am I doing this right?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Says the lads that yank baby carrots from their friends, skin them while alive, chop them up and finish them off in boiling water. Sometimes don't even kill them before eating them?

Kevin the Aldi carrot might get murdered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

No to be honest with you...your'e putting up a shyte argument.

archer22 wrote: »
    No to be honest with you...your'e putting up a shyte argument.

So your saying it's the same as the vegan arguments then? ;)

So your saying it's the same as the vegan arguments then? ;)

Only if for some bizarre reason you can't see the difference between a sheep, a Chicken or a Carrot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

lalababa wrote: »
    Sounds like a butchering interrupted to be honest.

You have hit the nail on the head and a journalist has painted a different story, the first sheep to lamb will be pedigree ewes in first of December and most only going breeding now.
    You have hand it to the paper industry they know how to make a great story.

Its certainly getting rougher in the countryside, this Sheep mauling and rustling, Jeeps being stolen, including at least two near here, and a farmer in north Dublin being hospitalised by Hare coursers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

We kill animals for entertainment too. Some get killed participating in the activity - a day at the races, some get killed as a requirement to the sport - bullfighting.

You seem to think mutilating and leaving on display is disrespectful. You are right. It's disgusting and unnneccessary but so is killing it, skinning it and chopping it up into pieces in a slaughter house even if we intend to eat it.

Well it just is different, I know you have a point and I agree theres a lot of hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance with regards killing of animals but theres a reason a case like this is a tell tale sign of dangerous psychopathic tendencies , its because its sick and while the end result is the same as an animal being killed in a slaughterhouse, its the inent thats different, one animal was killed for pleasure and one out of necessity for food

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

cormie wrote: »
    What about jacking off a bull and fisting a cow to make the cow pregnant, to then steel their baby from them (for veal or for them to meet the same destiny as the mother) to then further molest their teats to take their milk, which was meant for their baby? All perfectly legal. Also if you think stunning and slitting the throat of a panicking cow is an easy and efficient process, you should watch some footage of it.

Even just look at the atrocities committed in the wool industries, again, not dissimilar to the article above:

Nothing to do with Ireland never seen that happen on a Farm here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Only if for some bizarre reason you can't see the difference between a sheep, a Chicken or a Carrot!

The issue I have is that there's so much vegan propaganda and outright nonsense being pedalled as fact, and I say this as someone whose partner is a non-dairy vegetarian.

Just the other day I had a friend try convince me that farmers were cutting holes in cows' stomachs so that feed could be pumped directly in. A short google showed that it's actually a veterinary thing for cattle who can't digest their food properly. But because this person got their info from PETA (who kill >95% of animals in their 'shelters') the information was very wrong.

Many of the issues are also specifically American, not to say that they are acceptable but deriding the Irish dairy, meat and egg industries over problems in a foreign country is unfair.

Like I said, the nut-milk industry uses huge volumes of water, Peruvians have been priced out of the market for Quinoa leading to, ironically, increased meat consumption by them. Basically, in Ireland at least, it is perfectly possible to have a good, balanced omnivorous or vegetarian diet which is locally sourced and sustainable, but is unfortunately impossible with a vegan diet.

• Advertisement

That they're all biological entities for sure. They all have the impetus to live and reproduce. That they all have varying degrees of sentience. That eating meat doesn't deny any of these things. That eating just about anything has consequences. That vegans like to use hyperbole?

Plus if you take your time and reread what was written - you will see just a little bit of parody there .....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

this is what proper shearing is like
    ganmo wrote: »

For one thing though there is a lot of nonsense about needing to eat meat to be healthy...for example take a look at videos of Shaolin Monks performing martial arts, those guys are vegetarian.

I dare anyone who thinks vegetarians are "weak, pale and sickly" to try going a few rounds with one of those....I think I know who would be weak pale and sickly at the end of it :D

This isn't much different than systemic practices used to get animal products to consumers....
    Pure and unadulterated vegan bs I'm afraid.
    Animals at slaughter are always stunned. The process is overseen by vetinary inspectors and inspected from farm to fork. So no it's nothing like what happened to the sheep concerned. I hope they catch the barsteward ....
    All the leading world dietetic associations agree that a diet void of animal products is not only sufficient for all stages of life including infancy and pregnancy, but can help avoid some of the common killer diseases that animal proteins and fats play such a huge part in.
    As copied by every vegan ever. Seriously is there a vegan bible out there that vegans copy such absolute misinformation and pseudo science word for word?
    If you agree with the basic moral principle that causing harm, where harm isn't necessary, is wrong, and can trust the leading dietetic associations, then consider that any such use of animals can't be considered a need, and if your want (taste, texture, culture, tradition) takes away the need (survival, a life void of interference) of another, then you've already agreed that the use of another life for your want is wrong.
    No cormie I do not agere with that sound bite philosophy. More vegan bs nonsensencial wordisms
    This is a great reality check as to what happens on free range, organic, high welfare, red tractor approved and RSPCA approved farms:
    https://www.landofhopeandglory.org/
    Ahh I thought you'd get to some propaganda like this. Thanks

The problem with that vegan film is that the vegans who made that allegedly filmed scenes of poor animal welfare in the UK, and never even bothered contacting the authorities. To fail to report same is inexcusable imo.

To use such video footage and newspaper reports of mutilated sheep to promote veganism as you do above is the reason that 'veganism' is a busted boot for most right thinking people out there.
    https://www.rspcaassured.org.uk/land-of-hope-and-glory-film

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I am interested why many vegans claim to have been huge meat eaters - (juicy steak, wings, chocolate, egg fried rice etc) ever before turning vegan.
    I don't think I have ever came across one that ate a regular mixed diet or maybe had meat once or twice a day at most.

My health and ethics are just fine...

The way that sheep was kilked was nothing like how animals are killed in controled conditions and in places which are supervised by DoA vetinary inspectors. Saying otherwise is dishonest or just plain misinformed tbh

I was never a big meat eater at all. I was raised on what I'd say is an above average diet in terms of health in terms of what I'd have for lunch and dinner, but I snacked a lot in between so became overweight. In my quest to lose weight, I started to learn more about nutrition and eventually instead of my aim being to lose weight, it became to be as healthy as possible and with that, I'd achieve a healthy weight. The more I learned, the more I discovered animal products weren't only unnecessary, but were also detrimental to our health. This is well worth the watch:

If you believe animal products are a necessity, then eating them doesn't make you a bad person. If you know it's not a necessity and you can live a perfectly healthy life without animal products, but choose to eat them for convenience, taste, texture, culture, tradition, then causing harm to another life to satisfy these things should make you question your ethics.

You can't believe that every single animal killed in any processing plant, DoA inspected or not, will be killed efficiently, there's plenty of footage out there to show this and to show how workers can often be seen making matters much worse too. Inspections are inspections, you can't think every death is recorded, inspected and assessed.
    cocaliquid wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Ireland never seen that happen on a Farm here

Have a look at this for what goes on in Ireland:

ganmo wrote: »
    this is what proper shearing is like

Would you be happy to have a barber handle your child like that if they were going for a haircut? Look at the video I showed previously on wool. Does using any animal against their will, for any reason that isn't necessary to our survival or health, not resonate with you as immoral in any way?
    (1) Pure and unadulterated vegan bs I'm afraid.
    Animals at slaughter are always stunned. The process is overseen by vetinary inspectors and inspected from farm to fork. So no it's nothing like what happened to the sheep concerned. I hope they catch the barsteward ....

(2) As copied by every vegan ever. Seriously is there a vegan bible out there that vegans copy such absolute misinformation and pseudo science word for word?

(3) No cormie I do not agere with that sound bite philosophy. More vegan bs nonsensencial wordisms

(4) Ahh I thought you'd get to some propaganda like this. Thanks

The problem with that vegan film is that the vegans who made that allegedly filmed scenes of poor animal welfare in the UK, and never even bothered contacting the authorities. To fail to report same is inexcusable imo.

To use such video footage and newspaper reports of mutilated sheep to promote veganism as you do above is the reason that 'veganism' is a busted boot for most right thinking people out there.
    https://www.rspcaassured.org.uk/land-of-hope-and-glory-film

(1) Slaughter is often the most humane process an animal will go through in their time as a commodity. Don't forget, every litre of milk you buy, not only contributes to slaughter of animals, but it contributes to the non consensual sexual interference with that animal (what humans call rape when it happens to another human), it contributes to live calf exports around Europe and beyond and the many other horrible experiences these animals will have to face. It's an industry that's been around for a long time, they don't waste anything. You buy one product, you're contributing to another by association.

Here's a slaughter house training video, there's a segment on ineffective stunning. Look at the first cow to get their neck trapped and how they panic.

(2)What misinformation are you talking about? Here ya go, British dietetic association:
    https://www.bda.uk.com/news/view?id=179

And American:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864

(3)Where's the bs wordisms? Why don't you agree with that philosophy? You think it's ok to cause harm where harm isn't necessary? Harm in this context is captivity, abuse, death.

(4) Where's the propaganda? This is simply footage taken from a multitude of some of the highest welfare farms across the UK. Surely these farms have regular inspections by DoA too, so you see footage from "high welfare" farms and think they should be reported to the authorities, but yet you're confident every animal killer out there and every stun gun is efficient and effective and the animals never suffer?

Then you go blame "The vegans" for not reporting them as if they are the bad guys? Vegans in general are for rights, not welfare. They don't want animals used at all, they aren't ok with gentle abuse, gentle rape and quick slaughter. I don't know the details, but as long as the demand will be there, there will always be varying standards of welfare. The aim is to cut the demand which will reduce all instances of animal ownership and abuse, not just the ones treated extra bad.

I was never a big meat eater at all. I ....

So said every other vegan preacher ever. :rolleyes: Ffs I've read the same drivel so many times on Boards and elsewhere it's ridiculous. Stop watcing the stupid propaganda videos and trust me you'll find you feel a lot better. This is a story about a sheep and not some daft personal belief system. Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Everytime a vegan thread starts it makes me want a meat feast pizza from a chipper that closed down in carlow.

One of every meat on a 12 inch pizza.

So said every other vegan preacher ever. :rolleyes: Ffs I've read the same drivel so many times on Boards and elsewhere it's ridiculous. Stop watcing the stupid propaganda videos and trust me you'll find you feel a lot better. This is a story about a sheep and not some daft personal belief system. Thanks....

Ethics develop and evolve, science, understanding and compassion shape them. What we believed was acceptable - even legitimate and required are now for the most part accepted as abhorrent or repulsive.

Compare the ethics of today versus what was perfectly normal by societies stand point not that long ago (and unfortunately some of these practices still exist):
    Women's place is the home. They should raise children - that's their job. They shouldn't vote. They should be subservient and obey without question their husband. If they don't listen to their husband they should be beaten. They should submit to their husband whenever he desires. They shouldn't drive. They shouldn't have a job. They should be circumcised. They aren't as smart as men, as strong or as capable - so are lesser. If they engage in sex outside of marriage they should be shunned - perhaps stoned. If they get pregnant outside of wedlock they should be sent away and their child taken away from them.

Disgusting by today's stand point and only one of many examples of where ethics have changed and developed. But they only changed because a few stood up and challenged the status quo.

Science has revealed our non human animal cousins share characteristics of sentient life. They want to live, they feel pain, they react to fear and they have a strong desire to survive. This is not propaganda any more than the exposing and challenging of bigoted sexist beliefs was propaganda in the past.

Ethics develop and evolve, science, understanding and compassion shape them. What we believed was acceptable - even legitimate and required are now for the most part accepted as abhorrent or repulsive.
    Compare the ethics of today versus what was perfectly normal by societies stand point not that long ago (and unfortunately some of these practices still exist. Disgusting by today's stand point and only one of many examples of where ethics have changed and developed. But they only changed because a few stood up and challenged the status quo.Science has revealed our non human animal cousins share characteristics of sentient life. They want to live, they feel pain, they react to fear and they have a strong desire to survive. This is not propaganda any more than the exposing and challenging of bigoted sexist beliefs was propaganda in the past.

Lol even more vegan preaching :pac:

Now about that poor sheep ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Reati wrote: »
    Everytime a vegan thread starts it makes me want a meat feast pizza from a chipper that closed down in carlow.

One of every meat on a 12 inch pizza.

Mmmmmm delicious 12 inch meat feast pizza.

So tasty the place had to close down.

Couldn’t make it up.

Advertisement