Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Vs Munster buildup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I feel sorry for sob, everytime he returns from a long term injuries he has a massive test almost immediately, he never gets a string of low level pro14 games to settle in. Even in terms of playing eight in his career, it was always a one off or two games max, never had the opportunity to put a stamp on the position. He really is always expected to explode into a game or else it seems like people want to discard him like yesterday's news. But his level is probably higher than the ceiling of all the younger players. Its his first start, the expectation should be about 60 minutes played and a dozen tackles maybe one turnover. But you get the feeling the expectation is a try, 30 metres and 4 turnovers or he's past it. It's a lot of pressure but I guess he is used to that.

He is hardly going to get ready for the AI's by running around as water boy!!!

Last week was unfortune as he was probably supposed to play 30 mins max

This week, well sure he might as well kill a few Munster men so he is number 1 for AI's

Yeah but he's definitely put on loads of weight.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

troyzer wrote: »

nah... only mass..... hes build in honeycomb

sydthebeat wrote: »

I think he's lost bulk, but put on weight whilst reducing his body fat and simultaneously adding padding.

It's simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think he's lost bulk, but put on weight whilst reducing his body fat and simultaneously adding padding.

It's simple really.
    Actually neither mass nor density has changed, he has instead altered the force of gravity around his body, he is now heavier and finds it excruciating to move but so does everyone else within his vicinity, it makes for interesting gameplay.

It's simple really.
    Actually neither mass nor density has changed, he has instead altered the force of gravity around his body, he is now heavier and finds it excruciating to move but so does everyone else within his vicinity, it makes for interesting gameplay.

Has SOB solved the great question of why gravity is so much weaker than the rest of the four primary forces?

It's simple really.

Has SOB solved the great question of why gravity is so much weaker than the rest of the four primary forces?
    He was pondering the asymmetric distribution of antimatter in a cow pat when he realised his non linear equation for forecasting the chaotic prices at the mart could also accurately predict the decay rate of gravitational fields.

It's simple really.

He was pondering the asymmetric distribution of antimatter in a cow pat when he realised his non linear equation for forecasting the chaotic prices at the mart could also accurately predict the decay rate of gravitational fields.

Yeah but he's definitely put on weight.

leakyboots wrote: »
    Some players seem to come back quicker from injury than others. SOB seems to be the sort who slots in as if he was never injured and reaches his level almost immediately.

Earls is the same, another fella who's been plagued by his share of injuries... and I swear he comes back better after each one!

Main thing is that against Connacht, SOB actually looked fit and healthy which he pretty much hasn't been since the Lions tour.

No concern over him in this match. It's just a number on his back, as long as the three of them have the right mix of carrying, tackling and making **** of the rucks then we're fine.

Leinster winning this with a half strength team would be a bit of a statement imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    No one said he's crap. Just that he can't pass, is too slow, can't beat a defender and can't tackle. But not crap.

Yeah right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What's the official line the mods are taking on this, only posting about rugby takes up most of the day and at night I'd just like a cup of tea. I mightn't be able to devote myself full-time to the ol racism.

Most appropriate use of a Fr Ted quote today. A gold star for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zzippy wrote: »
    Most appropriate use of a Fr Ted quote today. A gold star for you ;)

Feck off!

Zzippy wrote: »
    A gold star for you ;)
    Feck off!

Now you've got 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,601 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Can we quit with the father ted jokes and get back to obscure quantum physics references to Sean O Brien?

i was enjoying those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

probably due to the amount of Guinness he drinks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Leinster winning this with a half strength team would be a bit of a statement imo.

Dunno about half strength. Cullen has managed the team so far surprisingly well I have to say - the Connacht team was definitely stronger but not by a large margin.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Dunno about half strength. Cullen has managed the team so far surprisingly well I have to say - the Connacht team was definitely stronger but not by a large margin.

Yeah you're right. It's quarter strength at best.

jesus robo and ferris

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Akrasia wrote: »
    Can we quit with the father ted jokes and get back to obscure quantum physics references to Sean O Brien?

i was enjoying those

Down with this sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I don't buy this Munster-full strength/Leinster-half strength narrative that's going around at all. Second and backrows are all internationals. Both teams missing key half backs, both backlines missing other personnel. Leinster have gone for a lesser quality front row no doubt (I think POM could do a number on Treacy who's very poor imo) but a very strong fatties bench. Could be the difference in the last 20.

• Advertisement

I don't buy this Munster-full strength/Leinster-half strength narrative

Totally agree, Leinster no more than quarter strength.

getting tiresome now

I think theyve actually put on weight

I think theyve actually put on weight

Surely they've lost weight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Anyone know if there'll be real beer at the Aviva, apart from that new cat pee lager from Guinness...

Priorities like..

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Leinster squad

18 home grown
    1 Connacht
    3 new Zealander
    1 Munster

Munster squad

16 home grown
    3 Leinster
    3 South African
    1 Ulster

Just for the record I think it's going to be a great match and very close. Munster team looks stronger than last season (baffling away no-shows v Glasgow and Cardiff worrying though) whereas Leinster look the same, which is still strong.

Home advantage might swing it but think this is going to be a cracker

• Advertisement

Leinster squad

18 home grown
    1 Connacht
    3 new Zealander
    1 Munster

Munster squad

16 home grown
    3 Leinster
    3 South African
    1 Ulster

Just for the record I think it's going to be a great match and very close. Munster team looks stronger than last season (baffling away no-shows v Glasgow and Cardiff worrying though) whereas Leinster look the same, which is still strong.

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Only 2 NZ players in the Leinster team, JGP and Lowe.

Also you're counting Mathewson as homegrown there....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iminterestd0

Only 2 NZ players in the Leinster team, JGP and Lowe.

bent is from nz

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

?

Bent

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

?

Bent, JGP, lowe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is Henshaw the Connacht one?

Is Henshaw the Connacht one?

Athlone is technically in Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Missed mathewson, sorry.

Yes Bent is a NZer I counted stander as African even though both have played for Ireland.

Henshaw would be the Connacht yes.

Just thought I'd show the squads are reasonably similarly Home grown with all the talk of Leinster v leinster B

Damn right! I expect an official apology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Damn right! I expect an official apology

From Athlone or Leinster :confused:

Steve wrote: »
    From Athlone or Leinster :confused:

As long as its official, I'll accept it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Steve wrote: »
    Anyone know if there'll be real beer at the Aviva, apart from that new cat pee lager from Guinness...

Priorities like..

It'll be Guinness, Carlsberg and a cider. pints at €6 a go. One pour ****e. Dont buy it. Better drink more outside and/or bring cans in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Part of Athlone is in Westmeath, the other part is in Roscommon. So technically your post is both correct and incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

They still checking bags at the Aviva? Or are cans in a bag a no-no? Missed the game last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So listening to Quinny on OTB there. The peak of the Leinster/Munster rivalry/unpleasantness ... well, he's saying he got abusive gestures before 2008 from fans (presumably Leinster), and the needle between the teams appears to have maximised in 2009/10 (and no mention of it after that). I realise he retired in 2011. Munster beating Leinster is apparently good for the league. No biggie, but still silly.

In his credit, he was straight up saying that if he played for Leinster he was saying he'd be going straight after Carbery physically. I agree with him that I think the Munster back row is well capable of protecting Carbery against the Leinster backrow. Being said, Leinster's back row might get better forward ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Would be great if SOB finds form at 8, so the starting backrow would be Leavy, VDF and SOB.... good god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

They still checking bags at the Aviva? Or are cans in a bag a no-no? Missed the game last year.

Not that I have done it before

I have a big jacket with a number of pockets,......just enough space for 2-4 cans...fill it up.....

Buy 1 pint of pi** inside and then top up as you go along

Health warning, I have heard if it is cold you really need to have gloves with you to keep the hands warm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Leinster squad

18 home grown
    1 Connacht
    3 new Zealander
    1 Munster

Munster squad

16 15 home grown
    3 2 Leinster
    3 South African
    2 Kiwi
    1 Ulster

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Leinster squad

18 home grown
    1 Connacht
    3 new Zealander
    1 Munster

Munster squad

16 home grown
    3 Leinster
    3 South African
    1 Ulster

15 home grown no? 9 Cork, 4 Limerick, 1 Tipp, 1 Kerry. I assume you are counting Parker as homegrown but he came through the English system.

So, have I got this right?

Leinster:

18 home grown
    3 New Zealand (Bent, Lowe, JGP)
    1 Munster (Cronin)
    1 Connacht (Henshaw)

Munster:

14 home grown
    3 Leinster (Beirne, Carbery, Conway)
    3 South African (Kleyn, Cloete, Stander)
    1 Ulster/England (Arnold)
    1 New Zealand (Matthewson)
    1 England (Parker)

I didn't realise they had introduced a trophy for this fixture. Suppose it might add a little more 'bite' to the game...

3059_1.jpg?c=1511417667

The Ulster-Connacht match had more bite than this thread. This has been seriously disappointing.

Hell, I'll be at work and won't even be watching the match live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Peregrine wrote: »
    The Ulster-Connacht match had more bite than this thread. This has been seriously disappointing.

Hell, I'll be at work and won't even be watching the match live.

Bunch of fcuking jackeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Bunch of fcuking jackeens.

Where do you live?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

So listening to Quinny on OTB there. The peak of the Leinster/Munster rivalry/unpleasantness ... well, he's saying he got abusive gestures before 2008 from fans (presumably Leinster), and the needle between the teams appears to have maximised in 2009/10 (and no mention of it after that). I realise he retired in 2011. Munster beating Leinster is apparently good for the league. No biggie, but still silly.

In his credit, he was straight up saying that if he played for Leinster he was saying he'd be going straight after Carbery physically. I agree with him that I think the Munster back row is well capable of protecting Carbery against the Leinster backrow. Being said, Leinster's back row might get better forward ball.

I thought he said he got a gesture on two in 2006.

That was a funny game as Leinster were supposedly the favourites as they beat Toulouse in France, in an electric game, and had to get a big score away to Bath in the last pool game to progress, which we did. Munster had beat Perpignan, in a poor game iirc, in Lansdowne.

For me that game was when the rivalry really kicked off as I remember watching Munster v Leinster in the Celtic League in the UL sports bar and I was the only one who seemed to have any interest in the game.

Leinster distributed the tickets through the clubs at the stage so most of them ended up in Munster fans hands, the same Munster fans who had no interest in watching the Celtic League game were now big fans i.e. my college mates.

Munster in a SF were a terrible match up for Leinster at the time as we just didn't have the same pack to compete (our backrow was Jowitt, Gleeson, and Heaslip in his first full pro season) and Contepomi wasn't the 10 we needed for that type of game either. He was brilliant against Bath and Toulouse but cracked bad under the Munster pressure.

Munster went on to win the HEC and were top dogs, and so Leinster got fierce abuse (some of which was deserved some not as we just didn't have the team, even though it was being built) for being No.2 in Ireland. It looked like in early 08/09 season that that was going to be Cheika's last after our loss away to Castres.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement