Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Vs Munster buildup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

I didn't realise they had introduced a trophy for this fixture. Suppose it might add a little more 'bite' to the game...

3059_1.jpg?c=1511417667

I thought that it was the Turn Up Prize that Munster got every year? IRFU initiative to make sure they keep getting silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The rivalry was well underway by then. There was serious bad blood between Contepomi and the likes of Leamy stemming from Celtic League matches.

I'm sure we all remember the iconic cupped ears gesture from Contepomi after scoring a try against Munster in the RDS earlier that season and his comments after the Musgrave match earlier that season about respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I wouldn't be using UL sports bar as a barometer of fandom. Worst place in Limerick to watch a match! There was definitely rivalry long before 2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster had already disposed of the awful-and-certainly-not-destined-for-any-success-whatsoever Declan Kidney and I remember some back and forth with fans over that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It was bubbling under but that season was the first time it bubbled over. It went mainstream, for want of a better phrase.

It was just the fans who had a rivalry before that season, but after it was the casuals too.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It was bubbling under but that season was the first time it bubbled over. It went mainstream, for want of a better phrase.

Yeah I think you're right. The first time I heard it was on an away trip to Nenagh, and I remember being surprised at how into it the southerners were!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Oh, I agree it was there well before then. I think the point my wine-addled-brain was taking away from the interview was that he seemed to dismiss the rivalry after 2008/9, as if once Leinster became successful, the rivalry doesn't matter. It was only when Munster were on top he seemed to make a deal of it. Anyway, I was well on the sauce when I was listening to that, so I'm probably talking out my arse.

Moving on, all of my Leinster jerseys (that fit me) are in the wash. Rookie mistake.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Bunch of fcuking jackeens.

That's the spirit! The rest of you turf munchers could learn a thing or two from thomond.

I'll be trying my best to keep an eye on the match. Byrne vs Cadbury is too good to miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

stephen_n wrote: »
    Where do you live?

In Jackeen land shure. Surrounded by the traitors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I didn't realise they had introduced a trophy for this fixture. Suppose it might add a little more 'bite' to the game...

3059_1.jpg?c=1511417667

I thought that it was the Turn Up Prize that Munster got every year? IRFU initiative to make sure they keep getting silverware.

All I am seeing here is the female reproductive system.......is that the joke? :'(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Oh, I agree it was there well before then. I think the point my wine-addled-brain was taking away from the interview was that he seemed to dismiss the rivalry after 2008/9, as if once Leinster became successful, the rivalry doesn't matter. It was only when Munster were on top he seemed to make a deal of it. Anyway, I was well on the sauce when I was listening to that, so I'm probably talking out my arse.

I thought it simmered down after the 10/11 season when Munster won the Pro12 in Thomond against the newly crowned HEC champs Leinster.

There's been a few games since that in knock out, I think, but that for me when I noticed it losing it's big big rivalry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

In Jackeen land shure. Surrounded by the traitors!

I should have said where do you choose to live. Or was it the redneck thing of get you on up there to Dublin and get a job?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I thought it simmered down after the 10/11 season when Munster won the Pro12 in Thomond against the newly crowned HEC champs Leinster.

There's been a few games since that in knock out, I think, but that for me when I noticed it losing it's big big rivalry.

Munster lost their Pashun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I should have said where do you choose to live. Or was it the redneck thing of get you on up there to Dublin and get a job?

There was a spare bed in a house in phibsborough and he couldn’t resist, it’s what happens to them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There has always been a strong rivalry, they are the two most populated areas where rugby is a major sport in the republic of Ireland, we often know each other and each other's families. There has never been an underage Leinster team sent to limerick or vice versa without an underlying paranoia and anxiety to smash the other first in any given game. Even when the games are rubbish the players are black and blue at the end. And every loss hurts for either team more than losing to any other team. I think the rivalry will always be there, it makes the Irish team stronger for it.

I'm here to convert the pashunless.

I'm here to convert the pashunless.

Are you in the Aviva with the Munster team?

Are you in the Aviva with the Munster team?

They're not pashunless, just misunderstood.

They're not pashunless, just misunderstood.

Reggie disagrees.

Reggie disagrees.

His day of reckoning approaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I feel like death. Awld lad beside me on the plane would not stop coughing for the entire flight. Zero sleep. Pints will help.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I feel like death. Awld lad beside me on the plane would not stop coughing for the entire flight. Zero sleep. Pints will help.

You’ll be fresh after the 2nd

Sure the rivalry between the Limerick AIL clubs and the Dublin-based ones in the 90s was massive, something more recent fans probably aren't aware of. You can go back further into the 70s when Limerick and Munster players felt they weren't getting correct representation on the international team ahead of Dublin-based players. Ger Earls in the 90s was one criminally overlooked player, should have had a haul of caps

Enjoy the match those who are going, not a fan of the new Landsdowne myself but should be a cracker of a game

His day of reckoning approaches.

Every dog has their day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Is this on TG4 live ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Is this on TG4 live ?

No, on about 8 tonight..full but deferred coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Can anyone PM me a link?

Tommy Bowe slagging Rob Kearney about his tackling. Luke Fitz seems to think he's in The Quiet Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Does anyone have a link for international supporters? Very annoying that a pro 14 match is geo-blocked

Does anyone have a link for international supporters? Very annoying that a pro 14 match is geo-blocked

Where are you? Get a RugbyPass subscription.

I don't think illegal links are allowed on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Where are you? Get a RugbyPass subscription.

I don't think illegal links are allowed on this forum.

In Las Vegas

I'll be trying the Facebook page shortly. They've had a lot of games there recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

That advert on BT ..with Rob running away... getting in some practice before Beirne and Kleyn start the chase!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Kearney isn't tuned in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »
    Kearney isn't tuned in.

Either is JGP

Nervy start from Leinster

Munster scrum is going well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

leinster are very nervous. They saw what we did to Ulster last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Facebook link not working, can't find YouTube either. Any other legal links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a yellow for Earls and a pen try

Was there not a forward pass from Lowe to Leavy before this?

Facebook link not working, can't find YouTube either. Any other legal links?

Facebook is geo blocked for international viewers

Also not mobile friendly

Tackled man without the ball no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Lowe was going to catch that anyway by thr looks of it.

Harsh enough for me

Tackled man without the ball no?

No question. Don't know how it is taking so long to figure it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That all came from Earls error off the box kick anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's a bit harsh. I was gearing up for arguing Earls brought it back over and a scrum V.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement