Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand diesel cars slow to sell

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'll take fifty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The fuel savings are huge but what EV only depreciates so little? Only losing 6k in 4yrs seems unbelievable.

I mentioned the 5k subsidy for EVs didn't I? The list price of that car was 23k. I paid 18.

It's a leaf, current resale value is 12k. You can go ahead and look it up. I checked recently enough.

Anyway, happy enough. That choice to change approach has given me an effective net 4,000 euro raise... in terms of additional spending power in my pocket. 8000 pre-tax if you're in that range. No associated debt. Can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

KevinCavan wrote: »
    In the motor section of the Sunday Independent yesterday, they said second hand diesels were getting harder for garages to sell, especially in Dublin. Is this a growing trend. Are hybrids, electrics and turbo charged smaller petrol engines the way forward?

They're getting harder to sell because this is Ireland. And the Irish only sell something, when something is about to go. People are finally waking up to that and leaving them with their Crouching Turbo Hidden DPF, four year fuel filter **** heaps....

Newer petrols will be more reliable, but ultimately still complex enough for trouble..
    Having the injectors mounted directly into the cylinder head means the intake valves no longer have an air/fuel mix keeping them clean of the oil-then carbon deposits of the PCV system.
    It may well prove to render these petrols almost as unsuitable to small city driving as the diesels they're aiming at....

Thankfully there's a troop of petrols with no turbos, manifold-mounted fuel injection and hydraulically adjusted inlet/exhaust cams taking up some of the slack of the missing turbo - they'll be ideal small drivers.

I feel like I'm digressing..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

vectra wrote: »
    Just wondering where all these second hand petrol car are suddenly appearing from given the fact hardly any have been sold since 2008 ??

a lot of jap imports , have seen a load of hybrid models that were never sold here, UK imports of higher end luxury motors too.

Every second prius taxi in the city seems to be a jap import, with the instruments still in Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

vectra wrote: »
    Just wondering where all these second hand petrol car are suddenly appearing from given the fact hardly any have been sold since 2008 ??

Been looking at petrol hatchbacks post 2012 myself and noticed an awful lot are dealers selling UK imports.

Still a significant amount more diesels than petrol on donedeal though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

They're getting harder to sell because this is Ireland. And the Irish only sell something, when something is about to go. People are finally waking up to that and leaving them with their Crouching Turbo Hidden DPF, four year fuel filter **** heaps....

Newer petrols will be more reliable, but ultimately still complex enough for trouble..
    Having the injectors mounted directly into the cylinder head means the intake valves no longer have an air/fuel mix keeping them clean of the oil-then carbon deposits of the PCV system.
    It may well prove to render these petrols almost as unsuitable to small city driving as the diesels they're aiming at....

Thankfully there's a troop of petrols with no turbos, manifold-mounted fuel injection and hydraulically adjusted inlet/exhaust cams taking up some of the slack of the missing turbo - they'll be ideal small drivers.

I feel like I'm digressing..

Mazda's new Skyactiv-X engine should be interesting but I agree with you on complexity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

circadian wrote: »
    Mazda's new Skyactiv-X engine should be interesting but I agree with you on complexity.

It confuses me slightly.. It's supposed to be the first commercially available compression-ignition petrol engine. But...
    "In order to handle ignition problems caused by compression ignition, each cylinder also incorporates a spark plug featuring Spark Controlled Compression Ignition (SPCCI) technology."

So have they not just simply taken a direct injection petrol engine and figured out how to increase the compression ratio without suffering from pre-ignition? It's still impressive, should always aim for higher compression, but it's admittedly a lot less exciting sounding...

Advertisement