Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand diesel cars slow to sell

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I own a diesel now and would have no problem buying a diesel again tbh

Yep my next car will be a diesel and probably the one after too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

snowcat wrote: »
    Diesel is dead and has been for a few years. The UK are dumping their unwanted diesels over here very successfully. Ireland has become the retirement home for tdi engines from the uk

I always am amazed at people who actually believe that like peddled by the sensationalist media.

UK has 65 million people and about 32 million cars.

Ireland has less than 5 million people and about 2 million cars.

If every used car sold here was a UK import, it would barely be noticed in the uk market. We're not nearly as important as we think here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Was in UK this summer notice no difference in price of diesel to petrol unlike here,
    10 cent cheaper per litre then petrol here ,good mpg, cheap tax, why would people stop buying them here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

I’ll never understand why the tax system was changed in 2009 to favour diesels. They are clearly filthy and worse for the environment and people’s health than petrols. To think anyone in the industry actually believed those emission figures from VW/nazi party is naive. Diesels are disgusting. Then again it’s Just another in a long line of bizarre policices by the Irish government presumably with some good old fashioned corruption at the heart of it. Or maybe it’s just the culchie centric civil service literally giving dubs cancer so the country folk can save a few euro on tax every year. Grotesque.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Never stopped buying petrol saloons. Everyone (even on here) suggested I get a diesel or dee shill as it’s pronounced here in the mid west to replace my aging 2.0 Mk4 Mondeo.
    Got the Octavia RS 2.0TSI very cheap to tax and insure with 123RSA. Actually I was quoted higher on a diesel Passat. Think liberty quoted me over €2000 ffs. If there wasn’t so many idiots on the road 123 would’ve done TPFT for under €400. Paying just under €800 fully comp with them. Road tax is €390. Not the only person with a RS either around here. There’s at least 2 in Thurles town centre. White and blue. Absolutely delighted to see 1.8> petrols making a comeback. Ironically cars built by VW group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anyone that didn't see this coming on the last year has been asleep at the wheel.

Still people rushing out to buy the newest VW diesel on PCP... Absolutely bonkers, how much less than the "estimated" will these cars be in five years time??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The VW/Nazi party

/Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Never stopped buying petrol saloons. Everyone (even on here) suggested I get a diesel or dee shill as it’s pronounced here in the mid west to replace my aging 2.0 Mk4 Mondeo.
    Got the Octavia RS 2.0TSI very cheap to tax and insure with 123RSA. Actually I was quoted higher on a diesel Passat. Think liberty quoted me over €2000 ffs. If there wasn’t so many idiots on the road 123 would’ve done TPFT for under €400. Paying just under €800 fully comp with them. Road tax is €390. Not the only person with a RS either around here. There’s at least 2 in Thurles town centre. White and blue. Absolutely delighted to see 1.8> petrols making a comeback. Ironically cars built by VW group.

When they said buy a diesel in the mid whest they meant a tractor.

Don't know why you wouldn't, you look too out of place in a car there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

lawred2 wrote: »
    The VW/Nazi party

/Thread

I'm just using VW as an example and because the diesel models are so popular, reliable and dependable here in Ireland.

I'm not in a Nazi party nor do I have anything against VW. In fact I've owned a few..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

When they said buy a diesel in the mid whest they meant a tractor.

Don't know why you wouldn't, you look too out of place in a car there.

I always respond to them that their A4’s Passats and Octavia’s are just glorified tractors. I actually had to go to a dealer in Dublin for my car it’s that bad around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Is there any chance of a diesel scrappsge scheme in the budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'm just using VW as an example and because the diesel models are so popular, reliable and dependable here in Ireland.

I'm not in a Nazi party nor do I have anything against VW. In fact I've owned a few..

Ah come off it you hate Jews!;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,518 ✭✭✭✭vectra

bazz26 wrote: »

It's a bit like Coke Zero or Diet Coke versus regular Coke. A lot of people drink Coke Zero/Diet Coke because they think it's better than regular Coke, no sugar and all that. The reality is that Coke Zero/Diet Coke has additives in it to make it taste nice which are probably as bad if not worse than the sugar in regular Coke. Thing is though the sheep feel better and made think they are doing the right thing because it's sugar free.

Ah here now,
    That is total rubbish talk
    I much prefer Diet Coke to Real Coke as I much prefer the taste, and for absolutely no other reason. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

bazz26 wrote: »
    snowcat wrote: »
    Diesel is dead and has been for a few years. The UK are dumping their unwanted diesels over here very successfully. Ireland has become the retirement home for tdi engines from the uk

Why anyone would want one is sheepish stuff. Noisy dirty and expensive to repair when they break down (often). Green party has a lot to answer for

What's really sheepish is the ejits who go out and buy what large corporations, the media and public opinion plant in their minds as what they should buy. 10 years ago it was diesels, now it's hybrids and EVs, sheep need to be guided either way on how they spend their money. Why didn't people shun diesels 5 or 6 years ago? Because diesel wasn't a dirty word back then, all that has changed is public opinion, along with large corporations whose main objective is to sell vehicles and governments whose main objective is generating tax revenue from people who buy and own vehicles.

It's a bit like Coke Zero or Diet Coke versus regular Coke. A lot of people drink Coke Zero/Diet Coke because they think it's better than regular Coke, no sugar and all that. The reality is that Coke Zero/Diet Coke has additives in it to make it taste nice which are probably as bad if not worse than the sugar in regular Coke. Thing is though the sheep feel better and made think they are doing the right thing because it's sugar free.

You are spot on but the Coke/Diet Coke analogy isn't very apt here. The latter quite literally has zero calories meaning it doesn't contribute directly to obesity and there are no scientific studies that prove beyond a reasonable doubt that aspartame causes cancer. Regular coke, as we know, is full of sugar which is proven to cause a whole host of problems. I can say with 100% certainty that Diet and Zero are "healthier" than the regular version. In this case a more relevant analogy might be the whole fat/low fat/zero fat debacle.

Wasn't you that said it..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anyone that didn't see this coming on the last year has been asleep at the wheel.

Still people rushing out to buy the newest VW diesel on PCP... Absolutely bonkers, how much less than the "estimated" will these cars be in five years time??

PCP is 3 years, and the guaranteed minimum future value is just that. There’s no indication that they’ll only be worth that after 3 years - as opposed to say Nissan Leafs and BMW i3s....

Also, 42% of new VWs sold this year were petrol - up from 30% last year, so nearly a 50% increase.

Don’t let the facts get in the way.....

Just saw an extra carbon charge is to affect motoring.

How long will it be before some politician/ city councilor will get the “brainwave,” to ban older model diesel cars from Dublin city centre?

Most of these “Jeepy/ crossover/people carrier” thingies are diesel I’d imagine. The ones that are all the rage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Most of these “Jeepy/ crossover/people carrier” thingies are diesel I’d imagine. The ones that are all the rage.

The VW crossover that people want right now is the T-ROC, which is kinda Golf sized. That’s selling 90% petrol : 10% diesel.

For the Tiguan, the opposite figure applies, which stands to reason IMO given it’s a bigger car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How long will it be before some politician/ city councilor will get the “brainwave,” to ban older model diesel cars from Dublin city centre?

They'll be voting themselves out of office. People living in the city need cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You are spot on but the Coke/Diet Coke analogy isn't very apt here. The latter quite literally has zero calories meaning it doesn't contribute directly to obesity and there are no scientific studies that prove beyond a reasonable doubt that aspartame causes cancer. Regular coke, as we know, is full of sugar which is proven to cause a whole host of problems. I can say with 100% certainty that Diet and Zero are "healthier" than the regular version. In this case a more relevant analogy might be the whole fat/low fat/zero fat debacle.

Using that logic the reason why diesel was pushed as "green" was because it emitted less CO2 than petrol so was good for the environment. What people choose to ignore was that everything else out of a diesel was bad for the environment and people. So what are people ignoring about artificial sweeteners, like they ignored/hid with cigs and diesel before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That would just show how big a scam environmental issues are. These cars are made and have a significant amount of energy and pollution already released. To scrap these and replace with a new car will be terrible for the environment, but since we don't make cars all the emissions to scrap and replace a perfectly good car won't affect us!

Many of the 2017/2018 City SUVs are using turbo charged 1.2 econo petrols.

I’m not against diesels myself. But I can see them falling out of favour if the government slaps huge car tax on them and if their resale values become poor. If the likes of Volvo and Toyota are phasing out Diesel engines, other car manufacturers will folllow. You also hear phrases like “dirty diesel,” being used in the media, which like it or not starts conjuring a bad image for diesel cars. With all the talk or reusable coffee cups, plastic in the oceans and conservation, I think it’s trendy to own an electric car or hybrid at the moment. As others have alluded to, the diesel cars in Ireland will have little impact on global pollution in reality.

I’m not against diesels myself. But I can see them falling out of favour if the government slaps huge car tax on them and if their resale values become poor. If the likes of Volvo and Toyota are phasing out Diesel engines, other car manufacturers will folllow. You also hear phrases like “dirty diesel,” being used in the media, which like it or not starts conjuring a bad image for diesel cars. With all the talk or reusable coffee cups, plastic in the oceans and conservation, I think it’s trendy to own an electric car or hybrid at the moment. As others have alluded to, the diesel cars in Ireland will have little impact on global pollution in reality.

Electric or hybrid isn't trendy.. they serve a purpose. They are ideal for Urban use.

Diesels also have their place. Rural/high mileage commuters/heavy load pulling or carrying

The issue is that everything goes out with the bathwater.. it's either all bad or all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭SteM

lawred2 wrote: »
    Who is still in receipt of mortgage interest relief?

We are but it's down to such a small amount that I'd imagine that the government will save a paltry amount by scrapping it.

Advertisement