Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand diesel cars slow to sell

Options
  • 01-10-2018 8:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

In the motor section of the Sunday Independent yesterday, they said second hand diesels were getting harder for garages to sell, especially in Dublin. Is this a growing trend. Are hybrids, electrics and turbo charged smaller petrol engines the way forward?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

KevinCavan wrote: »
    In the motor section of the Sunday Independent yesterday, they said second hand diesels were getting harder for garages to sell, especially in Dublin. Is this a growing trend. Are hybrids, electrics and turbo charged smaller petrol engines the way forward?

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Are hybrids, electrics and turbo charged smaller petrol engines the way forward?

Yes.

Considering lots of countries are talking about banning ICE in the next couple of decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Dublin should have a very limited market for diesel cars. The market was saturated with diesels for the cheap tax but it didn’t work out well in many cases.

They need to shift these motors on to dealers in more rural areas where there is a market and need for them. In many cases the dealerships are responsible for inappropriately selling these diesels in the first place so I’ve no regrets of the same dealers get stung a bit now with slow sales of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Wait until petrol cars killing the poor deers in forest or hybrid/electric batteries makes you cancer news then we will switch to air powered flying cars. We need Bazz for this thread about steering the crowd to spend money with fear of X, Y, Z

I agree that transition from diesel only mindset to one of the diesel, hybrid, electric, petrol options mindset is good direction but I hate the fact that this is driven by fear of additional taxes, high depreciation, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you live in Dublin and work in Dublin I cannot for the life of me think why you would have ever benefited from driving a diesel unless it was a taxi and even that is questionable given the availability of hybrids. All that is happening now is that people who never wear suited to diesel cars are now switching back to alternatives.

However outside the pale where public transport and charging infrastructure are poor at best and non existent at worst, diesel will continue to have a purpose. What is't good is the various vested interests pushing an agenda of fear where the aim is to sell the next big ticket and generate tax revenue in the name of saving the planet, now that diesel is a dirty word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭TigerTim

There's a garage on the Naas road that I've bought a few cars from in the past. Hadn't check their stock of cars online for a few months until last week. They used to have about 90% diesel cars with the odd petrol motor. When I looked last week about 70% of the cars were petrol or hybrid. Some turn around.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just wondering where all these second hand petrol car are suddenly appearing from given the fact hardly any have been sold since 2008 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

vectra wrote: »
    Just wondering where all these second hand petrol car are suddenly appearing from given the fact hardly any have been sold since 2008 ??

Depends. I bought my current petrol car 3 years ago, and the dealer was mad to get me to take a diesel. I calculated the incremental cost versus saving in tax / fuel, and the premium would take about 10 years for me to break even.

I remember the dealer was starting at me like I was talking gibberish - it was clear that most people weren't thinking beyond that headline tax break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

It seems that diesels are out of favour in the u.k., they are not holding their value second hand as much as petrol cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I dont know. If I would be in a market to buy a car, I would just go and use the whole diesel panic to my own advantage. Just buy a nice speced diesel for a lot less. By the time whole big crack down happens it will be woryh **** all amyway. Same as current hybrids. With new technology older hybrids will just tank in value.

I personally just hate driving diesels, and nothing to do with being "green hipster". If I could, I would buy myself diesel just to take advantage of current panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fake news.

I dont know. If I would be in a market to buy a car, I would just go and use the whole diesel panic to my own advantage. Just buy a nice speced diesel for a lot less. By the time whole big crack down happens it will be woryh **** all amyway. Same as current hybrids. With new technology older hybrids will just tank in value.

I personally just hate driving diesels, and nothing to do with being "green hipster". If I could, I would buy myself diesel just to take advantage of current panic.

In a year’s time a nice 2litre u.k. diesel Audi might be the job, especially if the pound is weak on top of the anti diesel sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

In a year’s time a nice 2litre u.k. diesel Audi might be the job, especially if the pound is weak on top of the anti diesel sentiment.

The pound may be weak, but the fact that you'll have to fork out for VAT and Import Duty as well as VRT will wipe out any of that benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Britain will be outside the EU then so god knows what the cost will be to import cars from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭snowcat

The pound may be weak, but the fact that you'll have to fork out for VAT and Import Duty as well as VRT will wipe out any of that benefit.

Diesel is dead and has been for a few years. The UK are dumping their unwanted diesels over here very successfully. Ireland has become the retirement home for tdi engines from the uk

Why anyone would want one is sheepish stuff. Noisy dirty and expensive to repair when they break down (often). Green party has a lot to answer for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

snowcat wrote: »
    Noisy dirty and expensive to repair when they break down (often).

Just cause you got caught out buying crap cars doesn’t mean the rest of us did.

Many of us have been driving diesels for years without any hassle at all.

There’s a current thread on here now about some poor lad getting done on a private sale on a petrol. All cars can go wrong and cost money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Will the motor tax be going up on Diesels?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

Rennaws wrote: »
    Just cause you got caught out buying crap cars doesn’t mean the rest of us did.

Many of us have been driving diesels for years without any hassle at all.

There’s a current thread on here now about some poor lad getting done on a private sale on a petrol. All cars can go wrong and cost money.

I’ve never had a problem with any diesels I’ve had.

snowcat wrote: »
    Diesel is dead and has been for a few years. The UK are dumping their unwanted diesels over here very successfully. Ireland has become the retirement home for tdi engines from the uk

Why anyone would want one is sheepish stuff. Noisy dirty and expensive to repair when they break down (often). Green party has a lot to answer for

What's really sheepish is the ejits who go out and buy what large corporations, the media and public opinion plant in their minds as what they should buy. 10 years ago it was diesels, now it's hybrids and EVs, sheep need to be guided either way on how they spend their money. Why didn't people shun diesels 5 or 6 years ago? Because diesel wasn't a dirty word back then, all that has changed is public opinion, along with large corporations whose main objective is to sell vehicles and governments whose main objective is generating tax revenue from people who buy and own vehicles.

It's a bit like Coke Zero or Diet Coke versus regular Coke. A lot of people drink Coke Zero/Diet Coke because they think it's better than regular Coke, no sugar and all that. The reality is that Coke Zero/Diet Coke has additives in it to make it taste nice which are probably as bad if not worse than the sugar in regular Coke. Thing is though the sheep feel better and made think they are doing the right thing because it's sugar free.

• Advertisement

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

You bet your bottom dollar they will, for some cheap votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

You bet your bottom dollar they will, for some cheap votes.

They might lose more than they’ll gain if they do,

How does that work considering there are probably more voters out there still driving diesels?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Makes no sense to increase tax on existing diesels.
    They can't be magically disappeared so it would only be imposing hardship on the people who own them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

bazz26 wrote: »
    What's really sheepish is the ejits who go out and buy what large corporations, the media and public opinion plant in their minds as what they should buy. 10 years ago it was diesels, now it's hybrids and EVs, sheep need to be guided either way on how they spend their money. Why didn't people shun diesels 5 or 6 years ago? Because diesel wasn't a dirty word back then, all that has changed is public opinion, along with large corporations whose main objective is to sell vehicles and governments whose main objective is generating tax revenue from people who buy and own vehicles.

I couldn’t agree more.

Just in the same way as the Dublin sheep all bought diesels after 2008 even though petrols were the better choice for them, now we are looking at the opposite situation where people who live in the country and for whom diesels are still the best option are afraid to buy them. All because of media scaremongering and bar stool/social media “experts”

bazz26 wrote: »
    How does that work considering there are probably more voters out there still driving diesels?

Because even the deisel drivers in the end will give in to populist nonsense. If deisels are unpopular in the mainstream media a lot of people will go along with that.

I couldn’t agree more.

Just in the same way as the Dublin sheep all bought diesels after 2008 even though petrols were the better choice for them, now we are looking at the opposite situation where people who live in the country and for whom diesels are still the best option are afraid to buy them. All because of media scaremongering and bar stool/social media “experts”

All this uncertainty is bad for business.
    What is needed is for the government to announce a strategy for what they propose to do over a 5-10 year period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

elperello wrote: »
    Makes no sense to increase tax on existing diesels.
    They can't be magically disappeared so it would only be imposing hardship on the people who own them.

Lucky we have Government that doesn't like causing hardship on people.

Lucky we have Government that doesn't like causing hardship on people.

I can't see FF walking into a kind of "back to the future" mess reminiscent of the GP 2008 car tax debacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I own a diesel now and would have no problem buying a diesel again tbh

Advertisement