Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spear Guns and their definition as firearms? Is is based on propulsion means.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

No one? Answer Guatemala!! In an effort to preserve small game animals and birds in the 1970s, the govt there decided that banning blowpipes off the hunters and natives was the way to go.:rolleyes:. This brilliant idea then spread up to the USA,esp California[Where else] and where Hollywoo, decided to male the blowpipe the arch villains favoured weapon of choice with some dastardly poison.

Canada and then the UK decided this would also be a good idea to stop street villians killing each other and innocent citizens with blowpipes tipped with poison arrow frog venom.:rolleyes:
    Banning blowpipes is IMHO one of the dumbest weapons bans ever.Its a bit of pipe FFS!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Soo if i drive a quad through a concrete culvert is that a firearm?:D:P
    I mean its a "projectile" traveling through a "barrel":pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No one is arguing the law is not stupid.

The laws are written, usually, by people with no concept of firearms. I mean a pistol grip on a shotgun makes it restricted. So if the mag amount, barrel length, etc. all stay the same the pistol grip alone can make it restricted.

This is just one of a number of "who the feck thought that one up" laws.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

I put to ye that
    Firstly crossbows are specifically annexed under the main 1925 act by inclusion via the 1990 legal revisions to the statute where in they are set out in the revised definitions of a firearm.

Secondly, only firearms with a barrel can discharge! Thus a pneumatic spear gun would have to have a barrel to sleeve the arrow either internally or externally and direct the high pressure air.
    Thus its logical inclusion as a firearm by way of the definition mentioned earlier by others

But a rubber banded spear gun is a similar animal to a Long Bow or even closer to a catapult and is not specificly named in the law..

That's my opinions
    The swords and the 1954 cut off was just to take cheap mass produced factory swords away form the kids/thugs- but anyone with a few quid could and still can buy an authentic sword for 400-500£..
    Anyway I sleep better knowing that the blowguns are banned. Thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Could anyone tell if bow fishing is legal in Ireland ? I seen the video below and would like to try it, but feel the irish weather is a bit cold for it :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

gunny123 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell if bow fishing is legal in Ireland ? I seen the video below and would like to try it, but feel the irish weather is a bit cold for it :D.

All spearfishing(and thus bowfishing) is banned in freshwater. Its(spearfishing anyway) perfectly legal in saltwater so it(bowfishing) would be legal if your in Saltwater i guess, You could do it around a pier,rocks etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

IOW anything that might actually be fun,is banned in Ireland when it comes to fishing & hunting and taking yourself down to giving your quarry a fairer chance.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have been spearfishing for at least 2 decades and have seen a letter from the Park stating that rubber powered spearguns are not firearms the pneumatic ones are because they have a barrel and use compressed air.
    I have a reasonable selection of spearguns and while they are impressively powerful out of water the actual range submersed is only a few metres, water drag is very hard to overcome.
    Its not an easy sport, I remember Gordon Ramsey making an ass of himself in one TV show where he came out of the water with a very dead bass on a spear, jiggling it to make it appear alive.
    You can bring them all over Europe with no fuss as fishing equipment I've been to Greece, France and Spain with spearguns and no-one batted an eyelid, airlines are used to people carrying them in places where its common.

Advertisement