Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mileage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I filled up my Hyundai I 20 with 60 euro ten days ago and got 611km before she was signalling empty .is this good, bad or average .I am curious to know thanks

No, this is not good at all. You got about 40 miles per gallon. In the old days, 50mpg was good. It should be even higher now. City driving (stop start, low gears etc) is terrible for economy. Not much you can do about that .

For metric fans, average/good is about 10 miles per liter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sounds fairly good mileage for hauling around a fat bastard.

Imagine what you'd get if ya lost a few stone

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sounds fairly good mileage for hauling around a fat bastard.

Imagine what you'd get if ya lost a few stone

It's around 40 mpg in old money. Good enough for zooming around a city. Expect much better on a long run.
    It's about right for your car type and size and driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

mickdw wrote: »
    It's around 40 mpg in old money. Good enough for zooming around a city. Expect much better on a long run.

Maybe the dog is "big boned"

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

mickdw wrote: »

What's that in yards per pint? It's a future currency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    What's that in yards per pint? It's a future currency

thats easy. 40 mpg = 5 miles per pint = 8000 yards per pint.

thats easy. 40 mpg = 5 miles per pint = 8000 yards per pint.

Sounds waaaaay more economical when you put it like that. Think I'll quote my cars fuel economy that way when I'm selling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

For metric fans, average/good is about 10 miles per liter.

tommy-lee-jones-implied-face-palm.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

What is a mile? This is the EU not some backwater ****hole like Liberia or the United States of America.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

What is a mile? This is the EU not some backwater ****hole like Liberia or the United States of America.:pac:

I think even Liberia these days are metric.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

She'll go 300 hectares on a single tank of kerosene.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

She will only go if she feels like it. Get a male car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Gravelly wrote: »
    If you throw away the dog, break off the wing mirrors, tape up all the panel gaps with duct tape (use the windows to get in and out) and strip out the interior, you could get at least 10% better fuel efficiency. And you'd save on dog food.

No, no, no! You want to fit a hitch to the dog and get her to tow the car up hills, save a fortune on fuel costs.

She can jump in when you're coasting on downhill sections - I'm not cruel, like.

(Your fuel economy will suffer slightly when you need to keep winding down the window to shout "Mush!" at her, but no solution is perfect)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Look at you with your fancy pants car!

:P

Jaysis, even my 07 banger has that feature! What are you driving eh? A bloody wheelbarrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I filled up my Hyundai I 20 with 60 euro ten days ago and got 611km before she was signalling empty .is this good, bad or average .I am curious to know thanks

I wouldn't say that's particularly good. I drove about 400km for about €25 today. It depends on the type of driving. If it's all stop/start city driving it might be ok but open road should be better

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Noveight wrote: »

Put it in H

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op are you driving it easy or hard and are you in the right gear for what your driving needs.

It's not great for a small car to be honest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The metric system is a tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.

NB this is not good fuel economy.
    Not quite as bad as a Saturn V first stage though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wexie wrote: »
    I think even Liberia these days are metric.....
    In the US of A a gallon is 3.785411784 litres, here a gallon is 4.54609 litres. Pints are also different sizes too. A US pint is only 83% the size of a real one.

As for distance the US doesn't even use the units nationwide. :rolleyes:
    This video explains the difference between the U.S. survey foot (sFT) and the international survey foot (iFT)
    Many states have adopted legislation defining what type of foot is to be used in that state, and well over half have chosen the U.S. Survey foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Op are you driving it easy or hard and are you in the right gear for what your driving needs.

It's not great for a small car to be honest.

I just did the maths myself and I agree, the manufacturers spec for that car would be 960 kms for a full tank. Yes, makers do exaggerate economy, but even splitting the difference it should be a lot more than 600~ kms. If its brand new, it could be that its still wearing in, but if it continues for long I'd be talking to the dealer. A 35kg dog, or in other words the weight of a child, would make little or no difference

Seeing as we're comparing, my missus does three loads of washing to the batin'

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A 35kg dog, or in other words the weight of a child, would make little or no difference'
    It's 3.5% of one tonne. So for a one tonne car it means 3.5% more rubber on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wouldn’t think that’s great mileage for a small car. My Mazda 6 diesel easily does over 800 km per tank mixed driving and definitely not sparing the horses. Costs about the same to fill granted diesel is cheaper than petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Is the dog neutered and also a good dog?

Is it a Rover?

PARlance wrote: »
    Is it a Rover?
    No it's a carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

if i filled my landrover with 20 euro of diesel it would last me about a day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Noveight wrote: »
    Put it in H

Take it for a test drive and you’ll agree: Zagreb ebnom zlotdik diev.

maccored wrote: »
    if i filled my landrover with 20 euro of diesel it would last me about a day

In fairness, one full day without a breakdown is above average for a landrover.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Gravelly wrote: »
    In fairness, one full day without a breakdown is above average for a landrover.

ah now. Ive had mine 4 years and not a breakdown yet

maccored wrote: »
    ah now. Ive had mine 4 years and not a breakdown yet

Do you drive it :P

In fairness as well, I had one and, other than near constant fuel leaks and pieces of trim falling off all the time, it wasn't as bad as a lot of them are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

wexie wrote: »

This Amazon review for this product really cheered me up today.

"You have to buy more than one to really get the benefit
    September 24, 2015
    Why buy just one? I used a huge series of splitters and adapters to plug in 100 of these, and now my car uses no gas at all. In fact it actually generates fuel as I drive. Starting with an empty tank, I put in one drop of gas, plugged in my FuelShark array, and started driving. Ten minutes later, my gas tank was so full it overflowed and started spraying gas all over the road. Now I sell gas to chumps who don't know about the FuelShark. In less than a month I've earned enough money to begin construction of a power plant that will harness over 9000 FuelSharks to generate enough free energy to run a large factory. The factory will produce 100,000 FuelSharks every day. In one week, the entire planet will be powered by FuelSharks. In one month, spacecraft will be launched to Mars in order to disassemble it for material for more FuelSharks. In one year, most of the solar system will be converted into FuelSharks, providing enough energy for humans to colonize the entire galaxy."

And it only got 4 stars!

Advertisement