Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook and firearms

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If these sites ban gun related info and marginalise it then the public perception will be that there is something wrong with that element of society.
    That barn door's been swinging in the wind for about thirty years in Ireland and the horse is long since dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Indeed I am, if I don't post here too often it's because I find the imported right wing American guff you see here from time to time offputting

Absolutely no right wing American guff in this thread - so far anyway.

Anyway, while these FB actions are probably prompted by activities in the US, they do affect us. If not today, certainly going into the future.

It pushes the anti-gun agenda and that certainly can't be good for our sport.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Absolutely no right wing American guff in this thread - so far anyway.

Anyway, while these FB actions are probably prompted by activities in the US, they do affect us. If not today, certainly going into the future.

It pushes the anti-gun agenda and that certainly can't be good for our sport.
    There was one lad talking about the 'March towards pussification' earlier, save it for After Hours.. Anyway I said my piece earlier, I don't want to derail the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Sparks wrote: »
    Any hope we could play the ball?

No problem sparks, but it was an appropriate question, someone appears on a thread and starts getting stroppy about shooting. It msut be fair to ask if they involved in the sport or are a firearms owner. Otherwise we would have the anti's over here trolling everything we post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

gunny123 wrote: »
    No problem sparks, but it was an appropriate question, someone appears on a thread and starts getting stroppy about shooting. It msut be fair to ask if they involved in the sport or are a firearms owner. Otherwise we would have the anti's over here trolling everything we post.
    'Getting stroppy about shooting', sorry I didn't realise you only wanted an echo chamber

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

........... I find the imported right wing American guff you see here from time to time offputting
    The forum is an open platform and there is even an "Off-topic" thread expressly for the expression of ANY views that may or may not pertain directly to shooting.

As long as they are within the rules of the forum they are permissible regardless of topic.
    .......... save it for After Hours.
    No back seat modding.
    'Getting stroppy about shooting', sorry I didn't realise you only wanted an echo chamber
    As was said above, by Sparks, play the ball not the man.

Keep any further replies to the topic of the thread. If you have a problem with a post, report it, and a MOD will deal with it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

........ Otherwise we would have the anti's over here trolling everything we post.

If you are concerned a post is fro a troll, anti or just being troublesome use the report post function and a MOD will deal with it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

While I agree with your sentiments, it's not age discrimination.

It's not based on a person's age, it's based on whether they had a licence for the centrefire handgun in November 2008.

So if you were 18 or 98 in November 2008 and had your licence then, all that mattered is that you had the gun licenced.

True,but it is also a discrimination on the point that,what makes someone who had a liscense pre-Nov 08 more trustworthy than one post-Nov 08?
    Because it has nothing to do with those issues at all...It has to do with paying market compensation value for seized property under both the Irish constitution n article 43 and Article 5&7 of EUCHR. Comeing up on 10 years since this disaster befell us here,isnt it about time we start asking why are we still living with this?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I think a fair few social media outfits have more serious issues with their platforms being used for far more nefarious activities than lawful use and ownership of firearms, aka sports and hunting equipment or collectors pieces.

Letting yourself be used as a company in dodgy election campaigning springs to mind or providing free encrypted messaging services to organised crime and terrorism is another. So please clean up that pile of ****e rather than wash your hands of it would be a good starting point before trying to ban discussion and promotion of lawful activities.

For everyone's benefit.

The thread has gone off the rails and its starting to get somewhat personal. That ends now.

There is a report post function with every post. If you have a problem, a genuine one that breaks the rules, then report it and someone will deal with it. Don't appoint yourself a MOD nor take on the responsibility of policing the forum yourself as you'll only end up being infracted too.

• Advertisement

I only posted this thread to see if anyone could shine a light on whether they are hitting shooting pages/groups harder, and further restricting the discussion of shooting sports/activities.

I understand some of the restrictions Facebook have in place regarding a "standard" of allowable topics and especially sales. We have similar topics here, but they relate to Irish law. Facebook have an international audience and cannot possibly tailor fit each set of rules to each country.

However if they are, and Youtube has already started on this by removing certain firearm channels, working to eliminate firearm discussion piece by piece then why do people still use it? The smallest infraction and they shut down a page/group, permanently. Yet on the other hand i see they allow a page by a group for agun buy back claiming it doesn't infringe on their rules. It does, but for whatever reason they see fit to allow it to go on while infracting other groups for much more minor and not sale related posts/topics.

Cass wrote: »
    I only posted this thread to see if anyone could shine a light on whether they are hitting shooting pages/groups harder, and further restricting the discussion of shooting sports/activities.

I understand some of the restrictions Facebook have in place regarding a "standard" of allowable topics and especially sales. We have similar topics here, but they relate to Irish law. Facebook have an international audience and cannot possibly tailor fit each set of rules to each country.

However if they are, and Youtube has already started on this by removing certain firearm channels, working to eliminate firearm discussion piece by piece then why do people still use it? The smallest infraction and they shut down a page/group, permanently. Yet on the other hand i see they allow a page by a group for agun buy back claiming it doesn't infringe on their rules. It does, but for whatever reason they see fit to allow it to go on while infracting other groups for much more minor and not sale related posts/topics.

I think the backlash over youtube banning firearms content made them reverse a lot of the restrictions. Youtube said it was an algorithm that had removed some of the content, which i do not really believe. I watch hickok45 for instance and he has said several times you have to walk a very narrow path to stay unbanned.

Youtube said it was an algorithm that had removed some of the content, which i do not really believe. .
    I'd believe it to a certain extent because of the story about Facebook banning or censoring a post which contained part of the declaration of independence citing it as hate speech.

I don't believe it is solely an "algorithm" because, and i'll admit to having no knowledge of computer programming, someone has to program it. There is always a human factor.

Well the good news is Boards will always let you sell your stuff. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,898 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

While I agree with your sentiments, it's not age discrimination.

It's not based on a person's age, it's based on whether they had a licence for the centrefire handgun in November 2008.

So if you were 18 or 98 in November 2008 and had your licence then, all that mattered is that you had the gun licenced.

What if your 18th birthday was in December 2008 or afterwards and you had intended to take up the sport?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Tough .................................. basically.

I've said this before but i actually was in the middle of a substitution when this ban was being implemented and was told to stop it [the sub] or lose the new gun in 2009, and the old one.

What if your 18th birthday was in December 2008 or afterwards and you had intended to take up the sport?

Tough titty :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Cass, the multinational and multiple jurisdiction nature of social media probably complicates things somewhat in relation to the finer points of local law and what activities are lawful and can be recorded.

Hickok45 for example would be in bother if in Ireland shooting guns that aren't his own on his private probably unregistered range. It's not illegal to watch his video's though.

After all it's not all that difficult to distinguish for example between Forgotten Weapons doing a video on some obscure prototype pistol from Liechtenstein and fifty ISIS militants shaking AK's and shouting kill all infidels or whatever it is they tend to shout when they get a bit excited... .

That's a completely different scenario and nothing to do with age.

It is very tough though.

Re post no. 46.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Hickok45 for example would be in bother if in Ireland shooting guns that aren't his own on his private probably unregistered range. It's not illegal to watch his video's though.
    I wasn't actually referencing Youtube with my point as they are videos with comments, rather than actual discussion and less likely to be targeted (he said holding his breath), but FB take no chances and unlike Youtube they have groups, pages, etc. where the ability to monitor every aspect of every topic, and how it relates to the local laws, is impossible. So their theory is to simply ban it all. I can understand that much while not necessarily agreeing with it.

The bit that bothers me is when they attack the discussion of it. IOW nothing illegal, no sale or trades, just talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

There was one lad talking about the 'March towards pussification' earlier, save it for After Hours.. Anyway I said my piece earlier, I don't want to derail the thread.
    How is that a right wing comment?

• Advertisement

Please lets not backtrack. Keep on topic, but if you want to discuss it further i can move any posts to the Off Topic thread.

Please lets not backtrack. Keep on topic, but if you want to discuss it further i can move any posts to the Off Topic thread.
    This is on topic Mod. We're discussing policy changes on social media platforms how can we not include the prevailing attitudes much of which are ill informed or delibarately mis informed which influence these changes

Because when this topic comes up, and i've had this myself in the Off Topic thread, you're going to have one side calling the other names as things get heated. The amount of MOD NOTES in the last 12 hours should highlight that.

If the discussion could remain civil and directly related to firearms i'd have no issue with it, but that is a long shot.

Let it run so, but the first whiff of "partisan" insult, from either side, and i'll delete the posts, infract the user, and possibly close the thread. If it goes too far off topic, and no longer relates to firearms or the topic of the thread it'll get moved into the the Off Topic thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Any of the FB pages related to shooting that I have checked are still up. (HH, Harbour Guns, NASRPC, Sports Den etc.)

FB clearly aren't enforcing their policy.

I'd guess they would only enforce this policy when people complain about individual FB pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

16th* at 18 you could have held firearms licences for 2 years already......;)

16th* at 18 you could have held firearms licences for 2 years already......;)

As the man in the new orthopaedic shoes said, I stand corrected.

uploaded an image of my target over the weekend, FB did have any issue with it so looks like they aren't enforcing new firearms policies.

In the last 4 days 7 pages have been closed, 8 more changed their names to avoid "buzz" words that seem to be targeted, and more people ar esimply shutting down pages in anticipation of it being closed.

In the last 4 days 7 pages have been closed, 8 more changed their names to avoid "buzz" words that seem to be targeted, and more people ar esimply shutting down pages in anticipation of it being closed.

The thing is there are literally hundreds of firearms forums out there, no matter what you are into, there is a forum for it, ar15's, 1911's, glocks, 200 year old muzzleloaders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement