Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security failings at Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

After reading the following article, I wonder how secure Dublin Airport really is:-

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0927/998359-dublin-airport/

Anyone know how this could be permitted to happen?

It wasn't.

Be barged past security.
    "He was banging on the window to try and get the aircraft to wait and he then broke through a door and made his way onto the apron, trying to flag the aircraft down.

After reading the following article, I wonder how secure Dublin Airport really is:-

I’m sure that if you read the article you’d see what happened

“"They were engaging with Ryanair staff at the gate and the male passenger was becoming agitated.

"He was banging on the window to try and get the aircraft to wait and he then broke through a door and made his way onto the apron, trying to flag the aircraft down.

"He was was initially restrained by Ryanair staff on the apron and Airport Police, who had already been contacted, arrived on the scene almost immediately and arrested him.

"He was taken to the Airport Police Station and will be handed over to the gardaí."

Gardaí said they were called to the scene at 7am and arrested the man”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I wonder how secure Dublin Airport really is

I think you are overreacting tbh

the guy did something stupid and was arrested within seconds

I'd say it fairly secure

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

It was ok............... he was a limo driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A man in his 20s has been arrested for trying to flag down an aircraft after he missed his flight at Dublin Airport this morning.

What the hell?
    An airport spokesperson said the man and a woman were late for a Ryanair flight to Amsterdam.

Ahhh, now it makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tackled by security before he could get near the plane, went through the security checks and scanners to ensure that he wasn't carrying anything that could cause any harm. It sounds to me like security did it's job and did it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Sounds like security succeeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

How do you suggest they could have stopped it from happening?

Should all ground crew be issued with Tazers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I'm convinced that there is something in the human brain that causes it to stop working when people use airports and engage in air travel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I'm convinced that there is something in the human brain that causes it to stop working when people use airports and engage in air travel

I think something similar happens when you get behind the steering wheel of a white van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    It was ok............... he was a limo driver!

New footage just in...

tumblr_milm4cIpKS1qf48reo4_250.gif

AngelicPertinentEmu-small.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

wexie wrote: »
    How do you suggest they could have stopped it from happening?

Should all ground crew be issued with Tazers?

the idea of ryanair staff with tazers is terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is the pilot Ryanair needed at that moment

Magnum-Force-Clint-Eastwood-pilot.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

For a start I think you need to check the dictionary meaning of "permitted", he was certainly not permitted to do this.

Secondly for me this is the first incident of this type in Dublin airport that I can every remember and the incident was dealt with very quickly by all accounts once he broke through the gate.

When you consider that there is nearly 30 million travelers passing through this airport every year now with little to no security incidents I thing the airport security is doing a a great job.

Unfortunately there will always be a security breech from time to time thanks to human nature but again as stated earlier in this case the security system worked as the person never got any where near the plane.

In what manner do you think security "failed" here during this incident OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

not only that, but you will notice since airports around the world started offering free wheelchair assistance to everyone (the cost of providing same is added to your ticket in the airport fees) people have been losing the use of their legs upon reaching the airport. People literally get out of the car/taxi/bus etc WALK into the airport and suddenly their ability to put one foot in front of the other vanishes. it is surely one of the most inexplicable medical phenomena of our times.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Amsterdam is great. Hope the book gets thrown at this fella though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

not only that, but you will notice since airports around the world started offering free wheelchair assistance to everyone (the cost of providing same is added to your ticket in the airport fees) people have been losing the use of their legs upon reaching the airport. People literally get out of the car/taxi/bus etc WALK into the airport and suddenly their ability to put one foot in front of the other vanishes. it is surely one of the most inexplicable medical phenomena of our times.

... and then watch them shoot out of the chair like a hare before the arrivals doors open in case their loved ones see them. It is getting dogged!!! They jumping security queues (plus their 5-6 family members) and jump boarding queues. And expect the poor airport worker to drag their luggage alongside the chair as well. Heard of a case where they wanted the airport worker to push them all the way to the remote car hire offices as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

He mooned photographers outside the courthouse. A fine upstanding citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Aethan Dor

OSI wrote: »
    Or maybe more people with disabilities travel now that are airports and airlines are making the required accommodations?

No, there are people who use (abuse) the service because when in wheelchair assistance you get brought to the head of Immigration and most other queues at airports !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

He was given free legal aid and he about to set off on his holliers to Amsterdam, 'tis a great wee country lads

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Not working but off to Amsterdam? Dole should be cut off and 5 years hard labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is exactly what I was thinking when I heard it this morning.

It's like people think they've been transported to a location where ordinary rules of behaviour don't apply any more.

I expect said person was late to their flight because they were "enjoying" the novelty of an early bar.

Naturally though, said individual has a history of violent and erratic behaviour as a result of chemicals in the brain;

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/young-man-got-violent-with-garda-29352621.html

I wonder was he going to Amsterdam on "business", and panicked when he realised he wasn't going to make his "business meeting" on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

GoneHome wrote: »
    He was given free legal aid and he about to set off on his holliers to Amsterdam, 'tis a great wee country lads

It’s great that these unemployed can afford holidays in Amsterdam, wouldn’t want them getting bored at home sitting on their holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

You are correct OP. It could have been an ISIS attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

seamus wrote: »

I wonder was he going to Amsterdam on "business", and panicked when he realised he wasn't going to make his "business meeting" on time?

I was thinking maybe he checked on "luggage" ... and that was on the plane, so now he could have a bag full of drugs in the lost and found luggage area in Schipol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe he should have been filled with lead?

One less scrounger.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

YFlyer wrote: »
    You are correct OP. It could have been an ISIS attack.

What would they have used in this attack, given what you're allowed to take through security to the gate?

The arse hole in question looks a right charmer going by the reports from the court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

lertsnim wrote: »
    He mooned photographers outside the courthouse. A fine upstanding citizen.

Blue moon?

Advertisement